Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

tarepanda posted:

Are you asking about marinating chicken while it defrosts or while you freeze it?
While it defrosts. The chicken is frozen, I'd like to dethaw it overnight and save time by marinating it simultaneously, unless doing so would result in bad chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bluedeanie posted:

While it defrosts. The chicken is frozen, I'd like to dethaw it overnight and save time by marinating it simultaneously, unless doing so would result in bad chicken.

"thaw" means "defrost," so "dethaw" means "freeze." That's why I was confused.

You can toss the chicken in the bag with the marinade, but there are several things to consider.

1. The marinade won't do jack while the chicken is frozen as the chicken will not be able to absorb it.

1a. Since it thaws from the outside in, you may find that the marinade really did a job on the outside but didn't penetrate much, depending on how long you leave it.

2. The water from the chicken thawing may dilute your marinade.

3. The chicken may actually freeze your marinade slightly depending on what's in it. I don't know about this, though.

Due to 1, if you put a frozen piece of chicken in a bag with marinade and leave it in the fridge for eight hours, you're not actually marinating it for eight hours -- you're marinating it for (8 - [amount of time chicken was still frozen]).

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

LTBS posted:

Awesome! I've heard about porchetta before and pork loins and cheap as hell around here right now. Thanks!

I'll try the other ones that Grav posted and take fancy pictures so I can be like him.

Incidentally, you can also do this without the pork loin. I just made one a couple of days ago and it was absolutely amazing.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

I decided to attempt gravy last night. This is going to sound weird, but I've never made anything with a gravy that was more complicated than "flour in the drippings."

I made a white sauce for some scalloped potatoes and it used the following ingredients:

4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs AP flour
3 1/2 cups milk

Melt butter, throw in flour and stir until it gums up. Make sure the heat isn't too high and let it cook for at least a full minute. It'll be gummy and weird but getting the flour good and hot helps in the next step. Pour in the milk a bit at a time and whisk the poo poo out of it. You're knocking out clumps as you go so whisk like crazy as you pour in more and more milk. Keep whisking and stirring and finding clumps and squishing them to combine. As everything comes up to temperature the sauce is going to magically thicken and puff up in texture. Throw in a ton of salt and pepper and whatever other seasonings are appropriate.

Ta-da, white sauce. If you had cooked up some breakfast sausage and then used the grease in the pan in place of the butter and then threw the crumbled up sausage back into the sauce you'd have a badass white gravy with sausage chunks.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hat Butt posted:

Hi there all you more cook-savy then i could ever be goons!

made a batch of bacon this morning and would love an easy recipe for something to do with the bacon grease (cuz I hear its useful and you should never throw it out):eng101:

thanks!

Toss with okra (or any other green vegetable, really), then roast in a hot oven for a couple of minutes; better than fried.

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.

Orvin posted:

My girlfriend is craving some macaroni and cheese, but is trying to eat low carb. Anyone have any suggestions for something close? About the only thing I have been able to come up with is spaghetti squash in a cheese sauce. I have 0 experince cooking squash, so just checking my other options before going that route.

Cauliflower in cheese sauce. Steamed cauliflower has a texture that's a reasonable approximation of elbow macaroni cooked al dente, and it has a very subtle taste. Spaghetti squash has a much "squashier" taste. It's great with butter and parmesan or a nice tangy tomato sauce, but I really wouldn't try to substitute it for anything you have a serious craving for. Pureed cauliflower is also a serviceable substitute for mashed potatoes if you aren't particularly fussed about texture.

Does anyone have any tips for frying okra without a deep-fryer? I've tried frying it whole, slicing it up and letting the goo drain, coating it in egg wash and panko, coating it in cornmeal and nothing else, high heat, medium heat...whatever I do, the breading just burns and/or slips right off the okra.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Tempura. Okra tempura is amazing... ly dangerous.

Seriously, it's delicious, but if you bite into it when it's fresh out of the fryer, it will squirt an ounce of lethal boiling agony into your mouth.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

Tempura. Okra tempura is amazing... ly dangerous.

Seriously, it's delicious, but if you bite into it when it's fresh out of the fryer, it will squirt an ounce of lethal boiling agony into your mouth.

Somehow the deliciousness of this has been rapidly eclipsed by the thought of lethal boiling agony burning my mouth and sending me to the hospital to be treated for second degree burns??

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Scientastic posted:

You can dry them in the oven and then either grind them up as chilli powder, or put them into oil to make chilli oil. Leave the oven door slightly ajar, set it to the lowest temperature and leave the chillies in there for a long time.

Batch number one.. looking okay I think? I opted for the toaster oven method I read online. Unfortunately I did not tell my wife that I had not cleaned the grill part last night when I took them out last night before bed and she made her bagel this morning on it. I was asleep while she was getting ready for jury duty today and woke to a very blood curdling scream followed by a string of obscenities hurled at me when she came in the room.

I got a text about ten minutes ago telling me "I made it to the court house okay. And you are an rear end in a top hat. I will call you when I am done. rear end in a top hat."

I think I need to get some flowers or something..

This batch is for a Goon that had asked for some.. I will pray for his bowels because these can be brutal. I made a salsa a couple of days ago and used four peppers and drat near knocked me out just opening the jar the next day after letting it rest.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 8, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

demonR6 posted:

I think you should get her a chilli bouquet.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Scientastic posted:

I think you should get her a chilli bouquet.

They sell those little decorative Chili plants at Lowe's.. as funny as that would be, I also feel it would be a bad thing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sever.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

demonR6 posted:

Batch number one.. looking okay I think? I opted for the toaster oven method I read online. Unfortunately I did not tell my wife that I had not cleaned the grill part last night when I took them out last night before bed and she made her bagel this morning on it. I was asleep while she was getting ready for jury duty today and woke to a very blood curdling scream followed by a string of obscenities hurled at me when she came in the room.

I got a text about ten minutes ago telling me "I made it to the court house okay. And you are an rear end in a top hat. I will call you when I am done. rear end in a top hat."

This batch is for a Goon that had asked for some.. I will pray for his bowels because these can be brutal. I made a salsa a couple of days ago and used four peppers and drat near knocked me out just opening the jar the next day after letting it rest.

These look excellent, I can't wait. Now to figure out what to use them in. I have a friend who can't get anything hot enough for her taste, so I might see if I can make some nuclear level pickles or something. That might not be as workable since they're dried but I'll figure out something.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

and your pancakes, cornbread, potatoes, pretty much anything sauteed or oven roasted.

what's your storage method? I store mine in a can on a counter by the stove but I got tut-tutted by a friend for non-food-safe storage. Better to keep in the fridge? Also, I put the warm grease through a coffee filter before I put it in the storage can.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have a salsa recipe similar to the Chili's restaurant, I substituted Jalapeno with Datils. I got a little overzealous one batch and tossed in nine of them. To make matters worse when they get yellow to purple those are the fiery hell peppers. I tossed in a couple of those. It was enlightening I can tell you the next trip to the bathroom. I like hella fire hot, but three is my limit now with these.

The pepper tree grew from seeds that we have from my wife's grandmothers farm in St. Augustine. She has a few in her back yard and they have been a family tradition with roots that go back far to the early days of the town. We grew a few but they do not seem to like anywhere but that area which is crazy when you think about it but we have brought back healthy two foot tall plants that have been growing in large plastic containers back to where we live in central FL and within a month or two they wither off and die. I don't get it other than they have to be in a certain climate.

Another hour I think and they will all be ready!!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

what's your storage method? I store mine in a can on a counter by the stove but I got tut-tutted by a friend for non-food-safe storage. Better to keep in the fridge? Also, I put the warm grease through a coffee filter before I put it in the storage can.

In a jar on the counter. It's safe, it's just fat. Unless you also store raw bacon or vegetables submerged in it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
How long till it begins to sour?

I was thinking of doing this or something similar to it for work Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's easy as hell and less clean up than my original idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za38Y9cHoBk

But I'd like to "tart" it up just a bit you know? Was thinking of adding either pumpkin or butternut squash in with the zucchini and using feta as well as the ricotta.

Thoughts? Should I precook pumpkin or butternut a bit before baking or will it come out even? Would Feta be a bad choice?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

demonR6 posted:

Somehow the deliciousness of this has been rapidly eclipsed by the thought of lethal boiling agony burning my mouth and sending me to the hospital to be treated for second degree burns??

As long as you let it sit for a minute or two, it'll be okay.

It's like eggplant tempura or eating a fresh slice of pizza with tons of sauce or biting into a juicy fried dumpling. It's the price you pay for your gluttony. :P

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Looking for some roast duck recipes. I'm open to just about anything except for peking.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Is there an Indian food megathread anywhere? I'm no expert but I've got a recipe or two I'm pretty happy with and wouldn't mind learning more.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

As long as you let it sit for a minute or two, it'll be okay.

It's like eggplant tempura or eating a fresh slice of pizza with tons of sauce or biting into a juicy fried dumpling. It's the price you pay for your gluttony. :P

Countless times I have done that knowing full well biting into a slice of pizza with a gooey layer of hot molten lava posing as cheese will inevitably burn my mouth horribly.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

coffeetable posted:

Is there an Indian food megathread anywhere? I'm no expert but I've got a recipe or two I'm pretty happy with and wouldn't mind learning more.

I haven't seen a general purpose Indian cooking thread for a while, but an old one is archived here

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Any interesting suggestions of what to do with a leftover chuck roast? Would like something to do besides sandwiches for the umpteenth time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Enchiladas

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
I've got some pork chops but have no idea what to do with them? I'm not a huge fan of sweet tastes with pork, other than when stir frying.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Didion posted:

I've got some pork chops but have no idea what to do with them? I'm not a huge fan of sweet tastes with pork, other than when stir frying.

Blackened pork chops are pretty awesome if you don't like sweet.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I really like pork chops grilled just as they are, with some mashed potatoes, maybe some green beans, and a really good mustard.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Blackened pork chops are pretty awesome if you don't like sweet.

This was really good, swapped the butter for a chunk of it's own fat, rendered. Cheers!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is it possible to make sun tea in the winter? (i.e., how important is atmospheric temperature?)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

tarepanda posted:

Is it possible to make sun tea in the winter? (i.e., how important is atmospheric temperature?)

Everything you need to know about sun tea. No sun required.

Tonight I am going to cook some bulk ground sausage to have with pasta. Every time I cook ground sausage, it ends up turning into more of a patty than the nice crumbles I'm looking for. Is there a trick to get results like that?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

The Midniter posted:

Everything you need to know about sun tea. No sun required.

Mind blown. Wow. Thanks.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Speaking of pork...

A friend is cooking black beans and rice tonight as well as a few accompaniments. I've been invited to dinner and offered to bring something. I was gonna do some nice center cut pork chops, but haven't cooked pork belly in a while.

Usually when I cook pork belly it's been with a honey glaze and sauteed (so not crispy), or I do the covered in skin and other spices in the over type deal to get the super crispy skin. The first of the two I've served with collards, corn bread, and other fresh veggies.

Not sure if either would go particularly well with beans and rice, but I do want to use pork. Any suggestions or should I stick with the chops?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What about something like molasses pulled pork? I'd definitely eat pulled pork with beans and rice.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

tarepanda posted:

Mind blown. Wow. Thanks.

I use this exact (fridge) method all the time and its great. I don't even bother adding sugar. I use a glass pitcher because I find that plastic pitchers get stained too easily.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ChetReckless posted:

I use this exact (fridge) method all the time and its great. I don't even bother adding sugar. I use a glass pitcher because I find that plastic pitchers get stained too easily.

Do you think it would work well with water and ice instead of just water?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

tarepanda posted:

Do you think it would work well with water and ice instead of just water?

If you're adding ice it's probably going to slow down the extraction rate so you'd have to let it sit longer in the fridge. Why would you want to add ice right off the bat though? Just brew it with cold water in the fridge and add ice as necessary when you drink it. Much like with iced coffee, brew it a bit stronger than you like it so the melting ice dilutes it a bit.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

tarepanda posted:

What about something like molasses pulled pork? I'd definitely eat pulled pork with beans and rice.

Same, but I have two hours total to pick it up, prep it, cook it, and get there.

I have some local honey so regardless if I do center cut pork chops or belly that's how I wanna swing it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Same, but I have two hours total to pick it up, prep it, cook it, and get there.

Oh, two hours. I must have missed that, sorry.

Grilled pork chops with some kind of salsa-themed sauce?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the orange rice called that you generally find at Mexican restaurants and does anyone know any good ways to produce it at home? Brands, recipes, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Guy who runs this insanely authentic Oaxacan restaurant just cooks his rice in broth, tomato puree, and onions.