Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Wrong thread sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is it possible for beans to be ground to different sizes on the same setting? I recently got my V60 and have had some good success with it, but I bought two bags from different places, and I basically had everything properly set up for one type of bean, but that stuff ran out and now I'm on to the other type, and the brewing takes a full extra minute even though I've changed literally nothing about the process. I've just got the Hario Skerton so that could be the problem, and the current beans I'm using were apparently "roasted for espresso" but I figured that wouldn't make a difference

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bizwank posted:

For starters, only adjust one variable at a time. Flow rate is a function of water pressure, tamp pressure, quantity of grounds, grind setting and grind consistency. You need to lock down and rule out as many of those variables as possible in order to find the one that's fluctuating and causing the problem.

That grinder seems to do some auto-adjusting poo poo that may be contributing to the inconsistency; buying a bag of fresh pre-ground and dosing by weight would rule that out. Consistent tamp pressure can take a lot of practice, try tamping on a scale so you can ensure you're getting within a few pounds of where you want to be every time. They also make practice/training tampers that click when you hit the desired pressure.

I'm not sure what you mean by "curling" but if you don't have a bottomless portafilter those can provide a lot of insight into how well you're distributing grounds in the basket and how consistent your grind and tamp are.

Consistently pulling a great shot is not easy, and it depends on your technique as much as it does on having quality equipment. You may want to consider checking with your local cafes to see if any offer a home barista training class, I've seen that help many people who upgraded to pro-sumer equipment at home but were struggling with adapting to it.

Super helpful, thanks!

I really didn't know what I didn't know getting into this, but I'm happy to learn.

I know with the milk I will get that with practice. Agreed I need to work on variable elimination and control changes closely. Good idea on the training class. Watching videos and reading about the process really is no substitute for getting in there and doing it.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

screaden posted:

Is it possible for beans to be ground to different sizes on the same setting? I recently got my V60 and have had some good success with it, but I bought two bags from different places, and I basically had everything properly set up for one type of bean, but that stuff ran out and now I'm on to the other type, and the brewing takes a full extra minute even though I've changed literally nothing about the process. I've just got the Hario Skerton so that could be the problem, and the current beans I'm using were apparently "roasted for espresso" but I figured that wouldn't make a difference

the bean type and how the bean is processed (among other things I'm sure, no expert here) will contribute to the changes in grinding and brewing, yes.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

qutius posted:

the bean type and how the bean is processed (among other things I'm sure, no expert here) will contribute to the changes in grinding and brewing, yes.

Good to know, thanks

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Anyone have experience with this kind of brewer? The cloth filter intrigues me and I like the size. Was recently given an amazon gift card and the new brewer itch has hit. Seems like a lot of work to keep the filter clean, but since I have never had coffee from one of these, I don't know if it is worth it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

screaden posted:

Elevation of the bean grown also affects it. Higher elevation calls for courser grind.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm going to London! Any coffee places that can be recommended? Both for buying beans and for having a brew.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Anyone have experience with this kind of brewer? The cloth filter intrigues me and I like the size. Was recently given an amazon gift card and the new brewer itch has hit. Seems like a lot of work to keep the filter clean, but since I have never had coffee from one of these, I don't know if it is worth it.

I've got one, and at least one other person here does (script kitty, I think). I like it a lot, though I will concede that this could be due primarily to its sexiness. I'm also a sucker for doing poo poo the hard way.

Cleaning the filter is a bit of a pain, but not terribly so, especially if this is a Lazy Weekend Morning brewer for you. Rinse thoroughly, put in Ziplock bag, put in fridge. If you want to be extremely careful about cleanliness, get a tiny pot and boil the filter in it, then put the filter in its bag and put the bag into the freezer. This should keep any bacteria from taking hold.

On the plus side, buy an extra pack of filters for it and you'll pretty much never wake up and have the "oh gently caress I am out of coffee filters" realization. If the filter ever starts to look rough, toss it and start a new one; when you get to the last filter, make it a point to order another pack in the next month or two. (For what it's worth, using the boiling & freeze method, I've been using the same filter for about two years now.)

Makes a very clean cup of coffee, looks charming while doing it. Bit of extra work, perhaps comparable to a press pot. I am glad I bought one.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

becoming posted:

I've got one, and at least one other person here does (script kitty, I think). I like it a lot, though I will concede that this could be due primarily to its sexiness. I'm also a sucker for doing poo poo the hard way.

Cleaning the filter is a bit of a pain, but not terribly so, especially if this is a Lazy Weekend Morning brewer for you. Rinse thoroughly, put in Ziplock bag, put in fridge. If you want to be extremely careful about cleanliness, get a tiny pot and boil the filter in it, then put the filter in its bag and put the bag into the freezer. This should keep any bacteria from taking hold.

On the plus side, buy an extra pack of filters for it and you'll pretty much never wake up and have the "oh gently caress I am out of coffee filters" realization. If the filter ever starts to look rough, toss it and start a new one; when you get to the last filter, make it a point to order another pack in the next month or two. (For what it's worth, using the boiling & freeze method, I've been using the same filter for about two years now.)

Makes a very clean cup of coffee, looks charming while doing it. Bit of extra work, perhaps comparable to a press pot. I am glad I bought one.

I've got one as well. It's the perfect size for making a nice cup of coffee for one, indeed.

The clean-up is just going to have to be a part of your routine. Brew, flip it inside out, rinse well on both sides. Every so often give it a proper scrub (no soap, just a longer focus than the five seconds you give it every day). But once you internalize that washing it and ensuring it's wet and stored properly (I used a small tupperware in the corner of the fridge) it's no more headache than any other drip brewer.

As to taste I find it slightly cleaner than my other drip brewer, which is a chemex with a kone, but anything is slightly cleaner than a method that allows all of the oil in to the cup. I'm very happy with mine, and I even find myself digging it out when I want a black coffee in the mornings instead of an espresso drink (I use the linea mini most days still but prefer proper black coffee to an americano when that's my mood).

bolind posted:

I'm going to London! Any coffee places that can be recommended? Both for buying beans and for having a brew.

Square Mile, Prufrock, Department of Coffee, Taylor St. Baristas, Kaffeiene. Beans to bring home I'd add Has Bean and Colonna. If you see 3fe pick some up, but I don't know if they're crossing the Irish sea.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2017

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

JohnCompany posted:

Square Mile, Prufrock, Department of Coffee, Taylor St. Baristas, Kaffeiene. Beans to bring home I'd add Has Bean and Colonna. If you see 3fe pick some up, but I don't know if they're crossing the Irish sea.

Square Mile is a roaster only, they don't run a physical shop. Kaffeine and Prufrock predominantly use Square Mile beans.

Prufrock is still the best of the London speciality places. Other good bets are Workshop (the Clerkenwell branch is an excellent cafe as well if you want a good brunch), Kaffeine, Climpson & Sons, Timberyard (Seven Dials is better than Soho), and The New Black. I'd avoid Dept of Coffee and Social Affairs as the quality is hugely variable. Monmouth Coffee went to complete poo poo years ago but still gets hyped by people.

If you want to buy beans to take back then Prufrock carry the full Square Mile range alongside two/three guest roasters, usually European (last time I went in it was Five Elephant, Le Cabra, and Koppi).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

grahm posted:

Try Spyhouse!

Spyhouse is pretty good, tried their orion blend's roast from yesterday. Going to experiment with these guys a bit, very happy so far. Thanks a bunch for the suggest.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

becoming posted:

Lots of positive words.

JohnCompany posted:

More positive words.

Thanks, I ordered it today. Aside from filter care, anything to note while using this pour over? Grind size?

A related question, does anyone have a descaler they would recommend for the bonavita gooseneck kettles? I also ordered the digital control model and people recommend frequent descaling and I figure one of the bottles on amazon would work but I don't know if one is any better than another.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

El Jebus posted:

Thanks, I ordered it today. Aside from filter care, anything to note while using this pour over? Grind size?

I go a little coarser than I do with the chemex/kone, iirc an 18 on a baratza vario. I also prefer slightly on the under end of extraction, looking for floral and fruity notes with some acid there, so I probably brew 25g of beans in 2:00-2:20 usually.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Maybe it's just because it's shiny and new, but I'm loving this thing. It helps that I also picked up the bonavita electric gooseneck. I've really enjoyed each cup but some have been better than others and I'm due for fresh beans...

If you have been thinking about getting one of these, I completely recommend it!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used my aeropress to filter some liquid I had soaked wild porcinis in yesterday. So that's kind of coffee related.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

El Jebus posted:

Maybe it's just because it's shiny and new, but I'm loving this thing. It helps that I also picked up the bonavita electric gooseneck. I've really enjoyed each cup but some have been better than others and I'm due for fresh beans...

If you have been thinking about getting one of these, I completely recommend it!

Two questions, any reason you keep the plastic cover on your gooseneck kettle there? And do you see it rusting under the lid? I've got the same model and have been very upset with its rusting (that I've already replaced the lid once on).

edit: brilliant setup. love the measuring there :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I keep the plastic on since the QC on those bonavita kettles is absolutely terrible. I had a 1 liter and 1.7 liter die in a year and change but the customer service is very good and they've taken care of me. No rust yet though.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Is anyone going to the SCAA Expo in Seattle this weekend? Since moving back from Korea I have a much smaller bench of coffee nerds to draw from. Fulcrum is doing some offsite stuff that looks cool. Not sure I can swing press or industry credentials anymore. :eng99:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ILikeVoltron posted:

Two questions, any reason you keep the plastic cover on your gooseneck kettle there? And do you see it rusting under the lid? I've got the same model and have been very upset with its rusting (that I've already replaced the lid once on).

I keep the plastic on mine because it's near the sink and my girlfriend splashes poo poo constantly without wiping it down afterwards.

No rusting on mine, some discoloration on the bottom around the heating element, but most of that scrubs off when I wash it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Hauki posted:

I keep the plastic on mine because it's near the sink and my girlfriend splashes poo poo constantly without wiping it down afterwards.

No rusting on mine, some discoloration on the bottom around the heating element, but most of that scrubs off when I wash it.

Yea, I think they've got horrible QC on this product because if you read the reviews like, thousands of people complain about the rusting. I don't have the energy to keep sending in pictures of my lid and kettle to get replacements.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Is the rust impossible to clean or something? Have you tried using Barkeeper's Friend or the like on it?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It looks like they claim the thing is stainless so it shouldn't be rusting like that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have had mine for like 3 years and have zero rust. I do pretty much nothing to clean it ever since it has only ever seen filtered water and always gets heated to pasteurization temps.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went through two of the non-gooseneck kettles because the plastic lid kept breaking, then they sent me a gooseneck one. So far no rust.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ILikeVoltron posted:

Mine definitely rusts. The cap especially. I'm getting a hario next time.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
They must have had a material QC issue with some batches or something. That is just odd.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Read the amazon reviews, thousands of people complain about the rust.

Edit: adding a picture, I just sent in for a replacement. Product was purchased in 2015 for reference.

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 18, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DontAskKant posted:

Is anyone going to the SCAA Expo in Seattle this weekend? Since moving back from Korea I have a much smaller bench of coffee nerds to draw from. Fulcrum is doing some offsite stuff that looks cool. Not sure I can swing press or industry credentials anymore. :eng99:

Some guys from work are going as attendees though not exhibitors. It might be neat to go but I'm pretty burned out on tradeshows after working in an industry that had 2 mandatory ones a year.

RE: Kettle rust, we're not really a pourover place, but we do carry the Hario Buono V60 and no one has returned/complained about it yet.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Scaramouche posted:

RE: Kettle rust, we're not really a pourover place, but we do carry the Hario Buono V60 and no one has returned/complained about it yet.

Yea, but that's not an electric, so temp is a bit more painful to get right. Especially if you're trying to hit 195ish. Do you just wait 2 minutes or something after boil?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ILikeVoltron posted:

Yea, but that's not an electric, so temp is a bit more painful to get right. Especially if you're trying to hit 195ish. Do you just wait 2 minutes or something after boil?

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/evkb-80u-hsv

Though I agree, the Bonavita's temperature control makes it a superior product.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

ILikeVoltron posted:

Others have all chimed in, but I'll answer too. I keep the plastic on because I don't want to lose it and it doesn't bother me. I keep it pretty far away from the sink but I'd rather have it and not need it... I literally just got it last week so thankfully there is no rust. It was on sale on Amazon recently for $64 so I jumped at the chance to spend some birthday gift card money on it. I make sure to dry it thoroughly between uses, so hopefully I will avoid rust for a long while.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

El Jebus posted:

Others have all chimed in, but I'll answer too. I keep the plastic on because I don't want to lose it and it doesn't bother me. I keep it pretty far away from the sink but I'd rather have it and not need it... I literally just got it last week so thankfully there is no rust. It was on sale on Amazon recently for $64 so I jumped at the chance to spend some birthday gift card money on it. I make sure to dry it thoroughly between uses, so hopefully I will avoid rust for a long while.

It's a QC issue, I've already replaced the lid once, and I sent in a picture for those guys and will try and replace the kettle and lid this time. If I had to venture a guess, they have a manufacturing issue with the way they produce the metals as stainless steel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ILikeVoltron posted:

It's a QC issue, I've already replaced the lid once, and I sent in a picture for those guys and will try and replace the kettle and lid this time. If I had to venture a guess, they have a manufacturing issue with the way they produce the metals as stainless steel.

For what it's worth, when I had my non gooseneck kettle replaced, they told me they had discontinued it and i had to get a gooseneck replacement, but those were delayed in manufacturing because they had redesigned the lid.

edit: That was in October of last year.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Ok, they just informed me my product is out of warranty. Gah, useless. I'd swear when I bought it there was a lifetime warranty.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ILikeVoltron posted:

You just know man. Git gud.

(I have no idea)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ILikeVoltron posted:

Ok, they just informed me my product is out of warranty. Gah, useless. I'd swear when I bought it there was a lifetime warranty.

gotta break it within a year

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

My first Bonavita gooseneck had some rust but their support is pretty good. Didn't even have to send it back or anything, just sent some photos and they mailed me a new one for free. New one is perfectly fine after a year and a half of use, and the old one only had a small bit of rust so I gave it to my brother and he's still using it. I'd still recommend it. The temp control is also really useful for tea, when I'm not in the mood for coffee.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ILikeVoltron posted:

Did you try cleaning it with a product that removes rust like Barkeeper's Friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Goddamnit. Cleaning my baratza VP this morning, brushing out the burr and the upper burr holder just cracks in half out of the blue.