Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nominal posted:

From the Dark Horse facebook page:

To whoever was about to hit Dark Horse soon: have fun! It's pretty awesome.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree is (a) insanely good and (b) insanely dangerous because it drinks like it's 9%, not the almost 14% it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
got six 4-packs of surly in the mail. it's gonna be a good weekend.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
There's a local bar that was serving full pints of Double Crooked tree for $3.50 per last summer. I'm assuming this was some sort of mistake?

But, yeah, that day sure ended up weird!

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

nominal posted:

There's a local bar that was serving full pints of Double Crooked tree for $3.50 per last summer. I'm assuming this was some sort of mistake?

wow that sounds like a recipe for death

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nominal posted:

I was at a place one evening, they had Aventinus on draft, so I got one, a full 22-ounce glass of 8.2% weizenbock.

Then I saw they had Samichlaus on draft. I'd only seen it on draft once before, ever, so hey, I'll get one.

Girl behind the bar has no idea and pours me a pint glass full of the stuff. I was halfway down it when I realized that's really all I needed for the night.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You reminded me that I was forgetting Odell Myrcenary (DIPA) and Mountain Standard (Black IPA), both of which are pretty good. One place in town routinely has them as full pints for $4-5 which gets disastrous quickly as they are both over 9% but hide their booze very well.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Phanatic posted:

I was at a place one evening, they had Aventinus on draft, so I got one, a full 22-ounce glass of 8.2% weizenbock.

Then I saw they had Samichlaus on draft. I'd only seen it on draft once before, ever, so hey, I'll get one.

Girl behind the bar has no idea and pours me a pint glass full of the stuff. I was halfway down it when I realized that's really all I needed for the night.

I did the craft beer express one time in philly and ended up starting the day with a parabola, a fw 15, and an abacus, which in retrospect was the worst possible way to start i think

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lousiana beer .jpg

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

nominal posted:

From the Dark Horse facebook page:

To whoever was about to hit Dark Horse soon: have fun! It's pretty awesome. I think they only pour the BBl Plead the 5th in the VIP room, but even if you can't do that I think they'll still have plenty of good beers to choose from and probably a couple unusual ones that you won't find in stores (they seem to be doing this a lot more often now and they are mostly worth it, even if I wouldn't call them all "good" I think they're unusual enough to make it worth the experience).

I still recommend a half Crooked Tree/half Raspberry blend. Liquid flowers, man. Also: their pumpkin seed cilantro pizza is really, really good.

Regarding the Facebook post: :stare:

And that's me going to Dark Horse soon! Thanks.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Cheers to Jack Skeleton for the recommendation of Ramirez Liquors in East LA; they truly have some hidden gems at that store and are probably the only store in the SoCal area to get Midwest beer on a consistent basis. My haul for today included Bell's Expedition Stout, Third Coast Ale; FBS, Centennial ale and Terrapin's Wake 'n Bake thrown in for good measure. Apparently one of their distributors has a case or two of Midwest stuff every now and then. However, out of all the other stores that I''ve gone to so far, don't even have any hint of Bell's or Founders. They also get Yuengling!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree is (a) insanely good and (b) insanely dangerous because it drinks like it's 9%, not the almost 14% it actually is.

Yup.

Best you-gave-me-how-much-of-what? story of mine: my local bar had '08 and '09 BCBS on tap when the '09 came out. Excellent! So I ordered the '08 and they handed me a pint. Same for the '09. Had another '08. Could barely see, so I was pretty sure I was misreading the bill when it said $18. I was not. Since then, they've hired a beer person to figure out how much they should/can charge for stuff like that...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Yup.

Best you-gave-me-how-much-of-what? story of mine: my local bar had '08 and '09 BCBS on tap when the '09 came out. Excellent! So I ordered the '08 and they handed me a pint. Same for the '09. Had another '08. Could barely see, so I was pretty sure I was misreading the bill when it said $18. I was not. Since then, they've hired a beer person to figure out how much they should/can charge for stuff like that...

There was a thread on BA about a restaurant (not sure which one) that was serving pitchers of Baudoinia for $25.

edit: found it: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/baudoinia-the-next-bcs-variant.47603/page-2#post-764946

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

There was a thread on BA about a restaurant (not sure which one) that was serving pitchers of Baudoinia for $25.

edit: found it: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/baudoinia-the-next-bcs-variant.47603/page-2#post-764946

Oh Naperville...

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

nominal posted:

Yeah, I went to a bar a few years ago that was doing that. Was supposed to come in tulips but I was served 3 of them before they fixed the mistake.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
So I picked up a six pack of Storm King, and this is my first time trying it. All I have to say is wow, this is possibly the most bitter Imperial Stout I've ever had. I enjoy it, but drat, this is bitter.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

danbanana posted:

Yup.

This year I got a 4 pack of BCBS for $7 because the manager got frustrated with a barcode not working and insisted that I take it at the price. Also, every once in a while my local beer bar starts serving the intense stuff (notably FW IV, Uinta's Labyrinth, pre-can Hop Crisis, and Backwoods Bastard) in 16oz pints for the same price they would a goblet.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I saw Racer X mentioned here, is that something I should definitely pick up? The liquor store across from my hotel in San Francisco has a lot of it.

Edit: And I'm making my pilgrimage to Toronado.

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 2, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Fresh Sculpin came in today. By fresh I mean it's dated best before 5-15-2013. I guess 2 month old Sculpin isn't bad, but I find it odd that the freshest they can get here is 2 months. Does Sculpin sit long on the West Coast? We had this problem with 21st Amendment too, fresh Brew Free or Die and Bitter American, bottled in October of 2012, we got it in January. What's the deal? Anyone have any idea? I can only guess that our distributor is getting it old through another distributor?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
My entire state has had bottles of Sculpin, and every other Ballast Point beer, with bottles labeled with a best by date of 6/12/2012 (placing it with a bottle date towards the end of 2011) since I moved here in May. Count yourself lucky you're only getting 2 month old bottles. I've noticed before that BP just doesn't seem to move very fast on this coast

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Midorka posted:

Fresh Sculpin came in today. By fresh I mean it's dated best before 5-15-2013. I guess 2 month old Sculpin isn't bad, but I find it odd that the freshest they can get here is 2 months. Does Sculpin sit long on the West Coast? We had this problem with 21st Amendment too, fresh Brew Free or Die and Bitter American, bottled in October of 2012, we got it in January. What's the deal? Anyone have any idea? I can only guess that our distributor is getting it old through another distributor?

I think Sculpin currently has a four month best-by range. It might be three months. It's been a few months since I've picked up a sixer, but they might still Julian date on the neck as well.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

RiggenBlaque posted:

My entire state has had bottles of Sculpin, and every other Ballast Point beer, with bottles labeled with a best by date of 6/12/2012 (placing it with a bottle date towards the end of 2011) since I moved here in May. Count yourself lucky you're only getting 2 month old bottles. I've noticed before that BP just doesn't seem to move very fast on this coast

Where are you located? New Jersey just got Ballast Point within the last year and shipments of anything are every few months. We're lucky to get Big Eye more than once every 2 months. I'm just happy we can get Sculpin though.

@deadwing, I see no Julian date on these bottles, just Best Before 5/16/2013. I guess I'll e-mail the brewer.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I'm in Connecticut and we only started getting BP beers in May, right before I moved here. The exact same bottles are on the shelf now as when they first came in. It's pretty fascinating, honestly, because no one wanted to buy them when they first came in and now every single store I've been to in the state have tons of bottles all with the exact same bottle dates. I really have no idea how they plan on getting rid of them since CT has state-mandated minimum pricing on alcohol (aka no sales on alcohol).

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Furious Lobster posted:

Bell's... Third Coast Ale... FBS, Centennial ale...Terrapin's... Yuengling!

I love liquor stores which DGAF about which states breweries actually distribute to. None of those are legally distro'd in CA, fwiw. Founders got a short license to distribute early in 2012 but that was just for kegs in bars.

And Midorka, Sculpin moves faster here but it probably has a lot to do with the awareness of it. I imagine the IPAs we get from elsewhere move about as fast as Sculpin in New Jersey, though to be honest I can't think of too many IPAs from the midwest/east coast we receive on a regular basis.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I see a lot of the same thing with Sculpin here (NoVA). I'll buy it any time a fresh batch makes it to the shelves, but it's pretty rare where I shop. Union Jack and Double Jack tend to be pretty old as well, and everything Great Divide makes is in a sad state here.

e:

danbanana posted:

Really? Compared to Palate Wrecker or Ruination or any number of the West Coast DIPAs, it's malty. There's also a subtle oat flavor and compared to the sweetness that follows Hopslam or the booze of Double Crooked Tree, it's somewhat unique to even the Midwest. I can't say it enough here: it is by far my favorite DIPA, on the planet.

I definitely got a good malt flavor from it, but all I could think was that I wanted to try it 1-2 weeks later. The hops just completely dominated everything. I'm completely willing to up my sample size, though, so I'll see what I can manage.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 2, 2013

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

ChickenArise posted:

This year I got a 4 pack of BCBS for $7 because the manager got frustrated with a barcode not working and insisted that I take it at the price. Also, every once in a while my local beer bar starts serving the intense stuff (notably FW IV, Uinta's Labyrinth, pre-can Hop Crisis, and Backwoods Bastard) in 16oz pints for the same price they would a goblet.

I did a double take at a bar in Bucktown last year when they listed a bottle of Bourbon County Coffee Stout for $15. Asked the bartender to make sure and he came back with the thumbs up. This was the week after the initial release so it was an awesome find.

I cracked open the Black Note that I picked up last week and while not bad, I felt it was a bit too sweet for my tastes. Nose was nice and it had a good bourbon finish but that sweetness was just too much.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

What It Dooski posted:

I saw Racer X mentioned here, is that something I should definitely pick up? The liquor store across from my hotel in San Francisco has a lot of it.

Edit: And I'm making my pilgrimage to Toronado.

Pull the trigger on that Racer X. One of my favorite DIPAs.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I accidentally picked up a few IPAs which are bit older than I'd like them to be. I got some ~2 month old Centennial, and Columbus IPA. Neither are horrible, but neither are nearly as good as when they're fresh. To counteract these purchases, I plan on picking up 2-3 four packs of Head Hunter. I also picked up a six pack of Hopslam which was bottled only two weeks ago, although I'm going to try to avoid it unless I feel like getting lovely... 10% abv is pretty high! It's going to be a good Superbowl Sunday! :mmmhmm:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

I did a double take at a bar in Bucktown last year when they listed a bottle of Bourbon County Coffee Stout for $15. Asked the bartender to make sure and he came back with the thumbs up. This was the week after the initial release so it was an awesome find.

I cracked open the Black Note that I picked up last week and while not bad, I felt it was a bit too sweet for my tastes. Nose was nice and it had a good bourbon finish but that sweetness was just too much.

Best beer deal I've ever come upon was either the $10 6 pack of Bell's Expedition a couple months ago or the $9 375ml of Cantillon Kriek (from a bar) I had on Halloween. Or 42EUR for 6 Cantillon Fou Founes.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

Best beer deal I've ever come upon was either the $10 6 pack of Bell's Expedition a couple months ago or the $9 375ml of Cantillon Kriek (from a bar) I had on Halloween. Or 42EUR for 6 Cantillon Fou Founes.

Did you end up bringing a bunch of Cantillon back to the states? If so, was it any sort of hassle at all to bring them through customs?

I really can't wait til I get the chance to try some Cantillon in two weeks at Winking Lizard's Barrel Aged beer fest. I've been craving some good sours, and Cantillon Gueze should be able to help quench my thirst for the sours. I've never tried anything from them, so I'm realllllly excited to get the chance to try one of their beers.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Did you end up bringing a bunch of Cantillon back to the states? If so, was it any sort of hassle at all to bring them through customs?

I really can't wait til I get the chance to try some Cantillon in two weeks at Winking Lizard's Barrel Aged beer fest. I've been craving some good sours, and Cantillon Gueze should be able to help quench my thirst for the sours. I've never tried anything from them, so I'm realllllly excited to get the chance to try one of their beers.

Yes, I did. I basically came through with everything declared on the customs forms, put the declared value at approximately the cash price that I paid in Belgium (which, not surprisingly, is a lot lower than people generally pay for it in the USA), and the customs agent waved my wife and I right through. As long as you don't misrepresent what you're bringing in, you'll be fine. Maybe you'll wind up paying some duty, but it's miniscule compared to what you saved buying it overseas.

Also, Cantillon only makes the third best Gueuze. Drie Fonteinen and Tilquin are both better, but you'd never know it the way beer nerds talk about it. Don't let me discourage you from going though: Cantillon makes a phenomenal gueuze.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just got done drinking Hopslam on tap....drat, this is loving good. I'm going to have to get a DD tomorrow so I can have more than 2.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

Yes, I did. I basically came through with everything declared on the customs forms, put the declared value at approximately the cash price that I paid in Belgium (which, not surprisingly, is a lot lower than people generally pay for it in the USA), and the customs agent waved my wife and I right through. As long as you don't misrepresent what you're bringing in, you'll be fine. Maybe you'll wind up paying some duty, but it's miniscule compared to what you saved buying it overseas.

Also, Cantillon only makes the third best Gueuze. Drie Fonteinen and Tilquin are both better, but you'd never know it the way beer nerds talk about it. Don't let me discourage you from going though: Cantillon makes a phenomenal gueuze.

I'm totally being picky here but Drie Fontenien doens't "make" Gueuze, they blend gueuze. (note: almost every Gueuze you can buy is blended)

Midorka posted:

This is a great question, but I buy Sculpin directly from the brewery so I don't know :smug:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 2, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm totally being picky here but Drie Fontenien doens't "make" Gueuze, they blend gueuze.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what all true Gueuze's are? I thought they were a blend of different Lambics, but I could be wrong. Either way, I have tried Drie Fontenien Oude Gueuze and it was absolutely fantastic, so I can't wait to try Cantillon's rendition of a Gueuze.

I really wish we got Cantillon in bottles in OH... not sure we do at all, and if we do, it's extremely, extremely rare.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RiggenBlaque posted:

Wamsutta, I know you don't post in this thread very often but if you're lurking, NEBCO is releasing another batch of Fuzzy Baby Ducks today after 3 and they said it should last through saturday at least. Just a head's up

edit: I just realized your last post was just before Sandy hit :stare:

I am actually in West Haven this weekend visiting my fiancee's family and will be checking out NEBCO tomorrow! I plan to try everything I can (already had Sea Hag, the lager/pilsner, and 668 - anything in specific I should look out for or seriously consider buying a growler of?)

On that topic, I'm kicking myself for not bringing one of my Triumph growlers up - they JUST confirmed on FB today that they will fill whatever growler you bring in as long as it's full. Wish more places were like that and open about it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Kudosx posted:

you have to be bringing X number of liters through customs before they tag you, and while i don't remember the exact amount, it was way more than the ten or so bottles i had in my suitcase.

someone mentioned Lost Rhino's Pretty in Pink the other day- had some last night and found it to be very different from the version brewed at Hardywood. the latter was a saison with fruity flavors and a touch of sweetness; LR's tasted more like Cherry 7-Up or something and the carbonation gave it a dead-on soda-style mouthfeel. it wasn't awful or anything, but i'm not gonna buy it again.

Podima posted:

I am actually in West Haven this weekend visiting my fiancee's family and will be checking out NEBCO tomorrow! I plan to try everything I can (already had Sea Hag, the lager/pilsner, and 668 - anything in specific I should look out for or seriously consider buying a growler of?)

Imperial Stout Trooper is drat good, but i don't know when they make it/when it's available.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Podima posted:

On that topic, I'm kicking myself for not bringing one of my Triumph growlers up - they JUST confirmed on FB today that they will fill whatever growler you bring in as long as it's full. Wish more places were like that and open about it.

Gandhi-bot, fuzzy baby ducks, and their saison are all pretty good.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
On the topic of awesome beer deals, I'd have to say my personal best was the time GI BCBS Rare magically appeared on the shelf of my beer distro a full 6 months after the initial release for $35 a bottle. I don't even live in Chicago (NYC).

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm totally being picky here but Drie Fontenien doens't "make" Gueuze, they blend gueuze. (note: almost every Gueuze you can buy is blended)

Blending is just as much a skill as brewing is, and it's incredibly important in making a good gueuze, so I won't really separate the brewers from the blenders here.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm by no means an expert but I thought for it to be a gueuze it had to be a blend of one and three year old lambics.

3F is definitely, 100% my favorite, followed by Cantillon, then Tilquin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
g(u)euze, by definition, is blended. personally, out of Girardin, Tilquin, de Cam, Drie Fonteinen, etc, i would put the classic Cantillon on the top of the pile. i have not had Lou Pepe or DF Vintage, so there's your grain of salt (and if you want another, i'd take a Supplication over anything but the Cantillon).