Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Benito Cereno posted:

I suspect this is the webcomic they meant.

The reason Wonder Woman uses her bracelets despite being invulnerable is the same as the reason why she uses an invisible jet even though she can fly: namely, that flight and invulnerability were not part of her power set pre-Crisis, by which point the bracelets and jet had become an inextricable part of her iconography, so they stuck around despite her post-Crisis power-up.

On a meta level, this is correct.

In continuity the answer is she has invulnerability to punches, laser blasts, fire etc... in the same range as Superman or Captain Marvel.
But she is vulnerability to piercing damage. So swords and arrows and ultimately bullets can hurt her. And that's why she uses the bracelets to deflect them.
It's supposed to be representative of how mother Gaia has given her the toughness of the Earth. And the Earth is strong and can resist explosions and impact but can be pierced by shovels and spades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't even know where to begin on the idea that the Earth is somehow more impervious to explosions than a digging implement.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Benito Cereno posted:

I suspect this is the webcomic they meant.

The reason Wonder Woman uses her bracelets despite being invulnerable is the same as the reason why she uses an invisible jet even though she can fly: namely, that flight and invulnerability were not part of her power set pre-Crisis, by which point the bracelets and jet had become an inextricable part of her iconography, so they stuck around despite her post-Crisis power-up.

This was it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The answer is pretty simple to me.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

I've been re-reading Uncanny Avengers volume 1 and I am wondering were Kang, Immortus and Rama-Tut ALWAYS the same person, or was it a retcon sometime later?
The first thing I can remember reading where it was a plot point was Avengers Forever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kang was always Rama-Tut, but I think Immortus was separate until the late 70s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kang identified himself as Rama Tut in his first appearance, apparently? I've never read it myself.

The internet says Immortus was connected in Giant Size Avengers #3, about 11 years after all 3 characters were introduced.

Old Nate was also the Scarlet Centurion in between. That one was also always the same guy. It's a reveal in the story.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 16, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

havok9 posted:

I've been re-reading Uncanny Avengers volume 1 and I am wondering were Kang, Immortus and Rama-Tut ALWAYS the same person, or was it a retcon sometime later?
The first thing I can remember reading where it was a plot point was Avengers Forever.

This is a good read from a 1979 fanzine. Surely a bunch has changed since, but this is pretty well-researched: https://www.scribd.com/document/149809344/The-Lives-and-Times-of-Doctor-Doom

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That was a good read!

My only quibble with it is it posits that Kang's "seemingly confused" mention of an animosity toward the Fantastic Four despite being an Avengers villain as a connection to Doom, but it's just an acknowledgement of their defeat of him when he was Rama-Tut.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In the Funny and Inspiring(?) Panels threads the DC Comic Act of God came up and was discussed a bit. In short, the general feel seems to be that this is another book that sucks Batman's dick "because he's the best because he has no real powers and he can totally beat up Superman shut up yes he can".

It's not the first book to do so. It will not be the last.

But will there be a last book? Batman wasn't always god king of poo poo mountain. There was a time where Batman might get caught unprepared, or lose a fight to a superior fighter. Anymore, most comics that I've read that feature Batman make him out to be unstoppable but not in an entertaining way. Ironically, he's been turned into Superman Trap in that there's no challenge in it for him anymore.

What I'm getting at is has the pendulum swung the other way at all recently? Am I the only person who thinks Batman has become a little too unstoppable? Or is everyone drinking the Kool-aid out of Bat-mugs still?

I recognize that this is the way that Batman has been for about my entire life, so it's not anything new. I'm not asking for another Breaking of the Bat necessarily. But I would kind of like to see a story where Batman is outsmarted or out-planned. gently caress, give me a story where you are able to successfully throw a surprise party for him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

In the Funny and Inspiring(?) Panels threads the DC Comic Act of God came up and was discussed a bit. In short, the general feel seems to be that this is another book that sucks Batman's dick "because he's the best because he has no real powers and he can totally beat up Superman shut up yes he can".

But will there be a last book? Batman wasn't always god king of poo poo mountain. There was a time where Batman might get caught unprepared, or lose a fight to a superior fighter. Anymore, most comics that I've read that feature Batman make him out to be unstoppable but not in an entertaining way. Ironically, he's been turned into Superman Trap in that there's no challenge in it for him anymore.

What I'm getting at is has the pendulum swung the other way at all recently? Am I the only person who thinks Batman has become a little too unstoppable? Or is everyone drinking the Kool-aid out of Bat-mugs still?

I recognize that this is the way that Batman has been for about my entire life, so it's not anything new. I'm not asking for another Breaking of the Bat necessarily. But I would kind of like to see a story where Batman is outsmarted or out-planned. gently caress, give me a story where you are able to successfully throw a surprise party for him.

Batman is unlikely to ever swing too far back. He's too absurdly popular and has remained so for an insane period of time. While he may get less popular than other heroes or characters he won't get less popular than other DC heroes or characters in any meaningful way for them to start owning him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Prometheus defeated Batman while making his debut.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't Batman's villains routinely gently caress him up? And win, at least temporarily? I assume modem Batman comics last beyond a first page where the narration states Batman anticipated his enemy's moves and put a stop to all plans and show's over, folks.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I do feel like the pendulum is swinging back to a much more human Batman. Since Rebirth started, he's admitted to Kate he needs her help, been shown up as she revealed she deduced his secret ID years ago, admitted he underestimated Stephanie, extended a hand to Clayface and turned him into an ally, called in the JLA for help dealing with the Gothams going nuts, and in general been very compassionate, comforting kids after a mugging and consoling Steph and Cassandra with big ol hugs on multiple occasions. I don't read Justice League so it's very possible he's still a huge prick who's always right over there but the main Batman titles have shown a marked shift, imo.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, Snyder, and especially King, have been leaning more into the human end of Batman, which I think is natural considering they're both working from the shadow of Morrison, creator of the Bat-God, and his definitive run on Batman as symbol.

I don't think we could ever have seen, for instance, Batman admitting he attempted suicide even just a few years ago.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, Snyder, and especially King, have been leaning more into the human end of Batman, which I think is natural considering they're both working from the shadow of Morrison, creator of the Bat-God, and his definitive run on Batman as symbol.

I don't think we could ever have seen, for instance, Batman admitting he attempted suicide even just a few years ago.

Attempted? I thought he didn't fail at things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

Attempted? I thought he didn't fail at things.

Batman being able/unable to kill himself feels like that ol' "can God create a rock so heavy even He can't lift it?" question.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is American Vampire still going? Did it conclude? Did it have a proper conclusion? I was buying the trades and I got to the trade before they went into space and I haven't heard much else after that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Man, I need to catch up on that series. I was super into it, but fell away from it a long time ago.

I still need to finish Waid's Daredevil, too...

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'm reading the first X-Men issues, and there's a part where Magneto forms a magnetic barrier to keep a group of soldiers confined in one place. Has he ever used this power to just straight up crush someone (or a group of people) by making the barrier smaller and smaller? I've never really read any X-Men, is that even a power he still has? It seems pretty powerful, you could really do just about anything you want with it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm reading the first X-Men issues, and there's a part where Magneto forms a magnetic barrier to keep a group of soldiers confined in one place. Has he ever used this power to just straight up crush someone (or a group of people) by making the barrier smaller and smaller? I've never really read any X-Men, is that even a power he still has? It seems pretty powerful, you could really do just about anything you want with it.

It varies, but in the early issues he's even using his magnetic powers for mind control bullshit, "personal magnetism" or some such. As always with comics, it varies immensely by write and plot convenience.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yeah, Magneto still pulls out the "magnetic force field" trick from time to time, although I can't remember him crushing anyone with it (he's more likely to wrap an enemy in metal and then squash them).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Crushing people is more of a Graviton thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

It varies, but in the early issues he's even using his magnetic powers for mind control bullshit, "personal magnetism" or some such. As always with comics, it varies immensely by write and plot convenience.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In Fatal Attractions Magneto crushes a guy wrapping his own metal coils around his torso and squeezing

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Low Desert Punk posted:

In the 2005 limited series follow-up to Age of Apocalypse, four of the Guthrie siblings attack the X-Men as revenge for letting Husk die during the Ilyana Rasputin rescue mission. When they threaten Magneto's kid with Rogue, he shows up late to the fight and snags Cannonball and Icarus in a metal shell. He's trying to contract it to the size of a beach ball when he realizes that Cannonball is nigh invulnerable when blastin', warning Guthrie that he can keep it up longer than Guthrie can. Cannonball gives in and BAM. He's probably done it before and/or since, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Wasn't there also a time where Magneto's power set was so ridiculously high that he could manipulate the iron in blood? Like, he didn't even need to wrap metal around dudes, just flay them from the inside?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Wasn't there also a time where Magneto's power set was so ridiculously high that he could manipulate the iron in blood? Like, he didn't even need to wrap metal around dudes, just flay them from the inside?

Sure, that's another trick he's used sometimes. He used it in the movie X2 too, although in that case the guy had been specially dosed with an iron supplement to make it a tiny bit more believable.

While we're talking about weird Magneto tricks, he's also used his powers to stop the electromagnetic impulses in people's nervous systems, and made himself invisible by magnetically steering photons around himself.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I tend to be more bothered by all the weird science poo poo Magneto does like make a anti prejudice ray to convince the jury he is a changed man or gentically engineering his own mutants out of test tubes

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Thanks for the answers on the Magneto stuff. I just love stuff like that, I never get tired of comic book writers stretching powers to their absolute limits.

Does anybody have any recommendations for Mephisto stories? He was my favorite as a kid because I had a trading card of him, but I've never read a story with him. The only thing I could see is One More Day which I've always heard is poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Low Desert Punk posted:

Thanks for the answers on the Magneto stuff. I just love stuff like that, I never get tired of comic book writers stretching powers to their absolute limits.

Does anybody have any recommendations for Mephisto stories? He was my favorite as a kid because I had a trading card of him, but I've never read a story with him. The only thing I could see is One More Day which I've always heard is poo poo.

He's the villain in Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment, which is pretty good.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Low Desert Punk posted:

There's a mini-series from 1987 called Mephisto Vs. - I only read it once way back in the day and I don't recall it being very memorable. It's a 4 issue mini of him against one team per issue - FF, X-Men, Avengers, and X-Factor. I don't believe it's been collected, but on the other hand, you can probably pick up the issues for pretty cheap - if you can find them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What's the miniseries where Loki and Mephisto spend the whole time trying to out-Evil Bastard each other, and it ends with Loki marrying the scary undead Asgardian cannibal valkyries? That was a good one.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
There's Infinity Quest, the Infinity Gauntlet prequel in which Mephisto accompanies Thanos as the collects the Infinity Gems and waxes philosophical.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RandallODim posted:

There's Infinity Quest, the Infinity Gauntlet prequel in which Mephisto accompanies Thanos as the collects the Infinity Gems and waxes philosophical.

That's Thanos Quest.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandallODim posted:

Rhyno posted:

That's Thanos Quest.

Are you sure Mephisto was in that? I don't remember him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mephisto is in Infinity Crusaid where he gets Thanos to promise to give him a Cosmic Cube in exchange for his help. Thanos gives him one and it ends up being one that no longer functions.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I get all those Infinity Things mixed up, I was sure I was getting that wrong too.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Thor Annual with the CM Punk story where Mephisto has a drinking contest with Thor.

The Secret Wars 2 tie in where Mephisto wagers that if Spider-Man can overcome that Zarathos or whatever that spirit/demon thing is, and prove the strength of the human spirit, the Beyonder will spare existence from annihilation for twenty four hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I tend to be more bothered by all the weird science poo poo Magneto does like make a anti prejudice ray to convince the jury he is a changed man or gentically engineering his own mutants out of test tubes

An anti-prejudice ray? Like that seems incredibly useful.

Not to mention that would be the answer to Magneto's eternal question of "will humanity ever accept a minority group like mutants?"