Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So I'm still loving my Sledge - the onboard effects are pretty weak, but as it's all going through Ableton, it's nothing some convolution reverb and proper effects chains can't fix.

But I just watched Cuckoo noodle around on a 0-coast with an Octatrack and, putting aside the constant low level Octatrack GAS for a second, the 0-coast has me intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK51E01T5uQ

The Sledge has me covered for pads, leads and basses - seriously, I'm going to it so much for everything now, it's awesome just jamming along with my Circuit. But the 0-coast bleepy stuff has me happy. Probably my favourite of the Arturia 6 collection is the Buchla cos of its randomness and weird sonic territories, and the 0-coast looks like a chunk of that action without the insane cost.

But tell me - am I opening pandora's modular box here? It reeks of gateway drug and before you know it, I'll have a Mother 32 and a Beatstep Pro and suddenly my wall is wires. Am I right in my worries? The last thing I want to do is open a money pit for the sake of some fun bleeps and bloops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Plavski posted:

The last thing I want to do is open a money pit for the sake of some fun bleeps and bloops.

I have bad news to you about this thread :pram:

That said, although I have been happy with my softsynth bleep bloops for a while now since I don't really have the space or money for physical synths, I really really want a 0-Coast after finding out about it :v:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Speaking of soft synths, Vacuum Pro is on sale for $1

https://www.pluginboutique.com/meta_product/1-Instruments/4-Synth/2510-Vacuum-Pro-Expansions?a_aid=5640b17f636ee&a_bid=5468b3dc

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

If anyone is interested i'm selling a Volca Bass on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/8071809-korg-volca-bass

I want to replace it with a microbrute or some other monosynth, any suggestions in the $300 range?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Plavski posted:

So I'm still loving my Sledge - the onboard effects are pretty weak, but as it's all going through Ableton, it's nothing some convolution reverb and proper effects chains can't fix.

But I just watched Cuckoo noodle around on a 0-coast with an Octatrack and, putting aside the constant low level Octatrack GAS for a second, the 0-coast has me intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK51E01T5uQ

The Sledge has me covered for pads, leads and basses - seriously, I'm going to it so much for everything now, it's awesome just jamming along with my Circuit. But the 0-coast bleepy stuff has me happy. Probably my favourite of the Arturia 6 collection is the Buchla cos of its randomness and weird sonic territories, and the 0-coast looks like a chunk of that action without the insane cost.

But tell me - am I opening pandora's modular box here? It reeks of gateway drug and before you know it, I'll have a Mother 32 and a Beatstep Pro and suddenly my wall is wires. Am I right in my worries? The last thing I want to do is open a money pit for the sake of some fun bleeps and bloops.
nah you dont want a 0 coast

you want a shared system :getin:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Photex posted:

If anyone is interested i'm selling a Volca Bass on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/8071809-korg-volca-bass

I want to replace it with a microbrute or some other monosynth, any suggestions in the $300 range?

I sold my Volca Bass to pick up a Monologue. The envelope is more basic than the Microbrute, and you trade Arturia's multi-wave oscillator for independent oscillator tuning, ring mod, and sync. However, there's lots of design tricks using the sequencer, and patch memory is nice to have. Microtuning was the killer app for me.

So Math fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 24, 2017

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Picked up the tr-08 today, owns. I'm a vintage nerd though so I may be bias. Already having a ton of fun pairing it up with some op-1 sequences. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to play together with my tr-09 and tb-03. I have no idea what im doing but i sure do love me some knobs and loops.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The loving eg decay knob on my minilogue hosed itself less than four months in and now I get the pleasure of sending it back to Sweetwater over this fine holiday season

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Probably asking the questions that have already been asked several times, but a friend of mine has been building a modular synth, and now I'm thinking about at least partly diving in all this.

Digging around a little bit, it looks like the Intellijel TPS30 mini at $120 (+power supply) is the cheapest well-reviewed option that should cover anything I want to do for a long while (or the TPS30 for $20 more and twice the outputs). Are there any other options to look out for?
Casewise I'll probably just build something, which is apparently pretty straightforward.
As far as modules, I'll probably dig around a bit, but will probably start something fairly multi-purpose (perhaps Mutable Elements) as a base and build from there. Any particular recommendations?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lhet posted:

Probably asking the questions that have already been asked several times, but a friend of mine has been building a modular synth, and now I'm thinking about at least partly diving in all this.

Digging around a little bit, it looks like the Intellijel TPS30 mini at $120 (+power supply) is the cheapest well-reviewed option that should cover anything I want to do for a long while (or the TPS30 for $20 more and twice the outputs). Are there any other options to look out for?
Casewise I'll probably just build something, which is apparently pretty straightforward.
As far as modules, I'll probably dig around a bit, but will probably start something fairly multi-purpose (perhaps Mutable Elements) as a base and build from there. Any particular recommendations?

I'm not a huge fan of the Intellijel power boards. I have an Intellijel 104 HP case (I like the case a lot), which has the second power supply you linked in it. They aren't keyed, which makes it easier to accidentally plug things in the wrong way, which in a cramped and dark case can be a bit nerve wracking. For some reason my Bitrazer didn't seem to work with the power supply, either, and I don't think I was drawing too much power. I'm not moving modules around a ton, and I know now not to put the Bitrazer in my Intellijel case, so it's not a huge problem, and I'm still using that case + power supply constantly.

The uZeus from TipTop has been treating me well so far, and aren't very expensive. I got mine as part of the TipTop happy ending kit. If you're looking for a case and a power supply, I recommend the happy ending kit, it's a great place to start, and I imagine they hold their value pretty well when you outgrow them and want to move to a bigger case.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 27, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
keyed headers are against the eurorack standards, such as they are, so i find that they carry a sort of 'did not review the literature before building' kinda vibe :shrug:

make noise boards get good recs and have served me fine

dont start with elements. its 34 hp and doesnt generate any cv -- youll need a lot of other stuff to play it i think

maths is v hype for a reason  the reason is mixers are your friend :wink:  but lots of other function generators can cover that aspect of it. make sure you have enough cv & audio mixers, they open the door to all kinds of feedback patching and interesting east coats modulations too :thumbsup:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

dont start with elements. its 34 hp and doesnt generate any cv -- youll need a lot of other stuff to play it i think

maths is v hype for a reason  the reason is mixers are your friend :wink:  but lots of other function generators can cover that aspect of it. make sure you have enough cv & audio mixers, they open the door to all kinds of feedback patching and interesting east coats modulations too :thumbsup:

So, just to double check, the basic chain of things to have a basic do-whatever synth is: CV output/clock (e.g. a sequencer), pre-noise goodies (e.g. envelope, logic stuff, quantizers/arp), sound generator, optional after-noise goodies, and then any mixing (but that can be handled outside the synth).
For that, Maths sound like it'd cover a lot of the pre-sound fun, I'd just need a sequencer, some sort of sound-generator, and maybe a filter, and I'd basically be set as far as core modules? Or are there other things that I need to pick up early?

e: Also is building modules from scratch actually a viable option early on? It looks like I could build a decent logic module for $10 of parts and a $10-$15 lasercutting job.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 27, 2017

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
So I went and bought an octatrack. Got a great deal, 4 months old w/ receipts and a 3 year guarantee for 800 euros. These things were 1200€ new, but discontinued now that MK.2 is here. It's in perfect shape.

I now have a digitakt and an octatrack so two samplers. I think I can do everything I want with them, considering I'm after like a digital synth sound, which they both can do pretty well if I have the right samples. Wouldn't say no to a Monomachine, though. We'll see.

Two samplers, hah.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

youre going modular, gently caress the basic chain ;)

many sequencers dont have a clock (though many do as well) -- being modular is all about doing things the way you want instead of "the normal way"

you'll want some vcas, some mixers, and some kind of function generator for modulations. you can go for separate LFOs and EGs or something like maths that does both.

mutable makes cool stuff but a lot of their fancy digital modules want a good bit of external modulation to be interesting (external modulation can make everything interesting ; )

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Is there any good way to get a pulse out of my TR-8 that can reliably trigger the clock in on my Juno 6? I assigned the rimshot sound to one of the assignable outs but I don't quite think its loud enough or what the juno is looking for. It triggers about 90% of the time but any sort of arpeggiation is played way out of sequence. Cool sound actually, but I want to be able to have it useable. Would something like a clean boost guitar pedal to up the signal work, or am I sort of boned?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
for eurorack power i really really like malekko's PSU. it's not quite as plug and play as the intellijel or makenoise ones; you'll have to wire the barrel jack and power switch yourself, and i think you have to buy the power adapter from mouser, but i've had literally no power problems since installing it in my rack (which i can't say for any of the other power supplies that i had tried before then).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Thorpe posted:

Is there any good way to get a pulse out of my TR-8 that can reliably trigger the clock in on my Juno 6? I assigned the rimshot sound to one of the assignable outs but I don't quite think its loud enough or what the juno is looking for. It triggers about 90% of the time but any sort of arpeggiation is played way out of sequence. Cool sound actually, but I want to be able to have it useable. Would something like a clean boost guitar pedal to up the signal work, or am I sort of boned?

Get rid of the TR-8.

Get a TR-808. :devil:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thorpe posted:

Would something like a clean boost guitar pedal to up the signal work, or am I sort of boned?

Yeah, it should - its usually the first thing I try. Rimshots are usually the standard trigger sample for this kind of thing (conventional wisdom for doing this w/ MPCs was boosting the hell out of 808 RS samples).

The only other thing I can think of is that the Juno might be looking for a certain like rising or falling edge that the TR-8 just isn't doing for some reason. Check manuals and read about the exact trigger conditions if the boost doesn't work.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Do you have anything that sends cv gate? A boost pedal on the TR-8 is worth a shot.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

ynohtna posted:

Get rid of the TR-8.

Get a TR-808. :devil:

Just a paltry $4000 difference, should have done that from the beginning!

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah, it should - its usually the first thing I try. Rimshots are usually the standard trigger sample for this kind of thing (conventional wisdom for doing this w/ MPCs was boosting the hell out of 808 RS samples).

The only other thing I can think of is that the Juno might be looking for a certain like rising or falling edge that the TR-8 just isn't doing for some reason. Check manuals and read about the exact trigger conditions if the boost doesn't work.

I'll rip one of my pedals off of my board to test it out. Don't have a straight boost pedal but a tube screamer with the gain on 0 should boost the signal a bit. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My cousins were in town for the holidays and came over yesterday with their kids who were all amazed at my little studio. I set up Ableton and my mic and guitar so they could goof around and "jam". It was the the most adorable thing and we got an amazing shot of the kids at my desk, looking like they are putting the finishing touches on their next fire track.

They already want me and my wife to take them to Guitar Center to spend some of their Christmas money :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrSargent posted:

My cousins were in town for the holidays and came over yesterday with their kids who were all amazed at my little studio. I set up Ableton and my mic and guitar so they could goof around and "jam". It was the the most adorable thing and we got an amazing shot of the kids at my desk, looking like they are putting the finishing touches on their next fire track.

They already want me and my wife to take them to Guitar Center to spend some of their Christmas money :3:

That’s adorbs. Get ‘em some iOS apps and a keyboard!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's adorable. :3:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get them started on modular :pram:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I would say you shoulda got a shot of one of them opening up the Minilogue's filter, but that might land you in prison.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went and ordered the Intellijel PSU, it seemed to just be more straightforward than other options.
Played around a lot on VCV, it helps a lot to get a feel for what modular can do (though it can only handle so much chaining before the CPU maxes and things stop working). I can definitely see where the need for tons of VCAs comes in, without them things very quickly turn to noise.

I'll probably look to grab Maths or Rampage, and whatever gives me a good number of VCAs for the price/size (let me know if there are any standouts here). I'm still unsure as far as a central module. I was able to get a lot of cool sounds out of of Elements+Rampage in VCV, but not anything resembling music. Mother32 looks nice but its really wide at 60HP (I'm thinking about starting with a portable 3Ux84HP and really building up experience with whatever I fill that up with before going too crazy). What should I be looking at for this 'central unit'? (I could also grab a simple oscillator and try to make it sound nice the hard way, but it's probably better to have something that just sounds nice without much effort to use as a base.)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I bought a Mom right when it was released, fully expecting it to be my gateway drug into Eurorack proper. Two-plus years and, like, 350+ HP of modules later, if I had to do it all over again... yeah I'd still start with a Mom.

It's a fantastic self-contained voice, it sounds like a synthesizer goddamn should sound, and having an East-Coast style synth to start makes learning synthesis easier in my experience (for example you can apply much of Gordon Reid's Synth Secrets articles and learn a lot. Today it's very rare that I make a synth patch that doesn't use it in at least some manner, be it as a self contained voice or parted out as an envelope/filter/lfo.

After a few months of just experimenting without really recording anything, I spent a couple days building a patch I liked enough to build a whole drat 45-minute album on, and recorded it yesterday. I'm tempted to add a couple things but the idea of tacking on "Recorded on Boxing Day 2017" is mighty tempting.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Got a Volca Beat for Xmas and now I'm wondering what's the easiest way to get audio from multiple devices to play through one set of speakers or through my computer. Any must have gear for a newbie? I've got some extra cash from Xmas and could go for a few more bits to make my setup for versatile.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Got a Volca Beat for Xmas and now I'm wondering what's the easiest way to get audio from multiple devices to play through one set of speakers or through my computer. Any must have gear for a newbie? I've got some extra cash from Xmas and could go for a few more bits to make my setup for versatile.

You need a mixer. I bought a behringer xenyx 802, its great for home use. Dirt cheap too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Mother-32 looks (and sounds) pretty incredible, if I was richer I'd buy one or three That and the 0-coast. Why do synths have to be so expensive anyway? :negative:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is a really good suggestion for kids. Low investment and more intuitive workflow.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So Behringer confirmed that their Roland VP-330 clone is in the deep prototyping phase:

quote:

As we're ending the year, a new baby comes to life in our prototyping department. Guess what it is...

https://www.facebook.com/BEHRINGER/photos/a.10150572353698914.404212.105517788913/10156048274528914/?type=3&theater

Unlike the other leaks, this one looks very far along and will get an official announcement soon.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

whoa thats a lotta filter ICs :allears:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Dyna Soar posted:

You need a mixer. I bought a behringer xenyx 802, its great for home use. Dirt cheap too.

Gonna run by the local music rental place and try and grab a used one for cheap, thanks. I guess I'll have to buy a big handful of cables too. It begins...

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Gonna run by the local music rental place and try and grab a used one for cheap, thanks. I guess I'll have to buy a big handful of cables too. It begins...
dont worry, new mixer day is always the best day of the week :3:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went and grabbed the Mother-32. It just seems to have the most complete set of core building blocks. Nothing too crazy, but I don't think there'll be any shortage of weird interactions once I start adding onto it (also it comes with a case so I'm not working out of a cardboard box while I build a real case).

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lhet posted:

Went and grabbed the Mother-32. It just seems to have the most complete set of core building blocks. Nothing too crazy, but I don't think there'll be any shortage of weird interactions once I start adding onto it (also it comes with a case so I'm not working out of a cardboard box while I build a real case).

I have two and feel like I'm only scratching the surface with what I'm capable of doing with them. And yet I still want a third (or one of their cases plus the three-tier rack and a bunch of other poo poo like a Maths.) The only thing stopping that is Chicago rent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Plavski posted:

So Behringer confirmed that their Roland VP-330 clone is in the deep prototyping phase:

https://www.facebook.com/BEHRINGER/photos/a.10150572353698914.404212.105517788913/10156048274528914/?type=3&theater

Unlike the other leaks, this one looks very far along and will get an official announcement soon.

This seems like more of a passion project than a direct successor to the Deepmind/Minimoog D clone. Vocoder’s such a niche use case that I can’t see it competing with Microkorg/VP-03/software on value, even if it’s analog. Maybe it’s aimed at studios/musicians with $10k+ in synths who don’t want an original?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

the mother 32 doesnt seem like a bad unit, but def dont forget to get some west coast stuff too. (voltage controlled envelopes ftw) imo the real beauty of euro as a format is that you get to mix all the different functions, so you can have a wavefolder with your east coast voice and a 24 dB filter with your west coast one :thumbsup:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

rickiep00h posted:

I have two and feel like I'm only scratching the surface with what I'm capable of doing with them. And yet I still want a third (or one of their cases plus the three-tier rack and a bunch of other poo poo like a Maths.) The only thing stopping that is Chicago rent.
Are there any modules you find it really wants to sit next to?

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the mother 32 doesnt seem like a bad unit, but def dont forget to get some west coast stuff too. (voltage controlled envelopes ftw) imo the real beauty of euro as a format is that you get to mix all the different functions, so you can have a wavefolder with your east coast voice and a 24 dB filter with your west coast one :thumbsup:

Oh yeah for sure. I'm not even too in love with it's sound in comparison to the other "starting modules" (though its definitely extremely usable), but it just has so many basic things that I'd otherwise need to go out and get another module for (e.g. midi in, sequencer), so it kinda enables me to jump to the good stuff a bit.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This seems like more of a passion project than a direct successor to the Deepmind/Minimoog D clone. Vocoder’s such a niche use case that I can’t see it competing with Microkorg/VP-03/software on value, even if it’s analog. Maybe it’s aimed at studios/musicians with $10k+ in synths who don’t want an original?

I've probably already said it here but if it's real divide down I'm in even sans vocoder. It's coming boys, the stringer renaissance.