Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a quote from the president of Bones regarding the anime and the fact it's a longer ongoing series which isn't usually Bones forte.

quote:

We haven't drawn out a lot of the content because the manga's been going on for so long, so there's still a lot to adapt into anime. So we would like to keep this as an ongoing project and improve the quality, not just keep the status quo but take something good and make it better.

I guess the anime might end up being an ongoing one with breaks between seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fabricated posted:

This is a quote from the president of Bones regarding the anime and the fact it's a longer ongoing series which isn't usually Bones forte.

I guess the anime might end up being an ongoing one with breaks between seasons?

Isn't this what everyone was expecting?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would have thought that was guaranteed by S2 being announced when S1 ended.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And it's starting to become the new model when adapting long-running series, with Naruto and One Piece being two of the main hangers-on because they need those timeslots.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragon Ball Super has been one continuous run with a couple of weeks off in the year since it started too.

The quality at times shows why it's a bad idea.

(All the time is a time, okay?)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Isn't this what everyone was expecting?

I wasn't 100 percent sure the adaptation would be ongoing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I forget is there going to be a chapter this week.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

And it's starting to become the new model when adapting long-running series, with Naruto and One Piece being two of the main hangers-on because they need those timeslots.
I might be wrong but hasn't One Piece started to really eat it quality wise from having to basically adapt one chapter an episode (and being animated by Toei)?

Naurto is Naruto and, frankly, if that got bumped off ala Bleach for Hemeroid Infomercials then I would shed no tears.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ConanThe3rd posted:

I might be wrong but hasn't One Piece started to really eat it quality wise from having to basically adapt one chapter an episode (and being animated by Toei)?

Naurto is Naruto and, frankly, if that got bumped off ala Bleach for Hemeroid Infomercials then I would shed no tears.

Started? The One Piece anime has been a dumpster fire for years at this point. They started stretching things a bit much in Thriller Bark but by the Marineford arc it was completely unwatchable.

Doing a show seasonally with breaks is a much better way to go about it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eiichiro Oda recently said that at 820+ chapters, One Piece is 65% done.

Insanity.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Begemot posted:

Started? The One Piece anime has been a dumpster fire for years at this point. They started stretching things a bit much in Thriller Bark but by the Marineford arc it was completely unwatchable.

They started stretching midway through Enies Lobby. That was when the "half an episode recaps the previous episode" started anyway.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eej posted:

I can't imagine that Zuko had much of an influence if only because Avatar, afaik, did horribly in Japan.
On the other hand, Horikoshi is a major westaboo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm surprised they haven't just picked a back up show or two to rotate in the time slots.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Just got completely caught up with the manga. My God, what a great series. I'm sure it's blasé by now to compare this to other shounen series, but I really hope this doesn't pull a Naruto and go to hell. It's way past Bleach already, at least. Bleach got bad fast but Naruto was pretty good up until Kaguya, which is really late.

C'mon, MHA, stick the landing!

Anyway, I need some MHA merchandise bad. C'mon, S.H. Figuarts of Deku and All-Might! Followed by alternate P.E. uniform Deku, Iida, and Kacchan in series 2, then Ochako, and Deku's new costume in wave 3 with a limited articulation skeletal All-Might, then Todoroki, Aizawa and Tokoyami in wave 4, then Shiragaki and the first Noumu...gently caress. Maybe they shouldn't make merch. I'd be broke!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You thought Naruto was still good up until Kaguya?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Just got completely caught up with the manga. My God, what a great series. I'm sure it's blasé by now to compare this to other shounen series, but I really hope this doesn't pull a Naruto and go to hell. It's way past Bleach already, at least. Bleach got bad fast but Naruto was pretty good up until Kaguya, which is really late.

C'mon, MHA, stick the landing!

Anyway, I need some MHA merchandise bad. C'mon, S.H. Figuarts of Deku and All-Might! Followed by alternate P.E. uniform Deku, Iida, and Kacchan in series 2, then Ochako, and Deku's new costume in wave 3 with a limited articulation skeletal All-Might, then Todoroki, Aizawa and Tokoyami in wave 4, then Shiragaki and the first Noumu...gently caress. Maybe they shouldn't make merch. I'd be broke!

Naruto went all downhill after the Chuunin exam and especially after the timeskip.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There were occasional high points when Rock Lee and Shikamaru did stuff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
While good things would still happen sometimes, especially if Shikimaru, Lee, or Guy were involved, the actual point when Naruto became objectively bad was when Naruto hyperventilated himself unconscious thinking about Sasuke.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would give it until after Kisame died because not only did we get a chance to see Guy being awesome, but we got an actual decent ninja backstory as well.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I mean, the Jiraiya/Pain stuff was great, Shikamaru's fight with Hidan ruled, Madara getting a woody (heh) from fighting Hashirama was good, Gai/Kisame...There were definite high points in part 2, and taken as a whole rather than week to week, I liked it. I am pretty easy to please, though.

Anyway, gimme my MHA toys, drat it!

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

JT Jag posted:

On the other hand, Horikoshi is a major westaboo.

I can't find the link to it, but there was a video a while back where Horikoshi showed an interviewer around his workspace and he had shelves chock full of japanese and english comics, along with a ton of DC/Marvel character figures (he seems to like Venom quite a bit). I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did cite Avatar as an inspiration/influence

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Hunt11 posted:

You thought Naruto was still good up until Kaguya?

I thought Naruto was good until like halfway through the real Madara stuff, but people will fall over themselves to declare how they actually thought Naruto got bad earlier than anyone else did.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Probably because Naruto was always really bad interspersed with good moments and in reality it just became a bit of a test of how much bad anime you could take before push comes to shove and you just give up on it. I stuck with the manga far longer than I stuck with the anime and I remember my "bullshit quota" reached its peak when they interjected filler comedy relief into a very emotional scene.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers: Mei is back, and so is her ability to make poor Uraraka jealous.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

Spoilers: Mei is back, and so is her ability to make poor Uraraka jealous.

BOOBS.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Korean raws droppin'

https://manaa.space/post/uploader/LyAN9EAwmmqgKWnP

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Naruto's quality started to suffer about an episode into Boruto.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Naruto went downhill as it transitioned from shinobi skirmishes to wizard warfare. But it lost its soul by turning Naruto into ninja jesus...

His dad being the fourth was probably planned from the start... but look at One Piece at how to do it properly. Luffy doesn't give a gently caress that his dad is some big shot and whatever happens... it's not going to be the 'D' that makes him pirate king, but his crew and his willpower to fulfill his Dream. Bleach was never good, just has good visual character design.

What thread is this again?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Up until Rukia was rescued Bleach deserved its good reputation. The manga was great and the anime was even better. After that the manga had its moments but it was never nearly as good. And then it was actively bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Piriwi posted:

Bleach was never good, just has good visual character design.

Bleach is pretty much a crash course in how not to draw characters, at least for the last 300 chapters or something. With very few exceptions (and the exceptions are usually rad) they're a bunch of smooth and stiff bishies in flowing robes with about half a dozen faces and an even smaller range of expressions. That's not even getting into how they act on-panel - there's never any sense of impact or intensity, just endless half-lidded stares and occasionally grit teeth.

One of the things that drew me to MHA (and Soul Eater, before it imploded) was how all the characters looked so wildly different and still felt like part of a coherent world just by dint of everyone's refusal to give a poo poo that this guy was a zombie or that guy has a bird head.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Piriwi posted:

just has good visual character design.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
manga stream is out
http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/100/3555/1

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Best part of the chapter:

All Might trying to be a cryptic Mr. Miyagi type and Aizawa noticing the ""Even the biggest idiots can become teachers too!" handbook in his pocket. Everything about that is loving stupid in the best way possible. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

100 chapters in a row where All Might is best boy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mina is too adorable :3:

Deku is gonna end up with some crazy Big O pistons on his arms to compensate for the recoil. It's gonna be awesome.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ojiro crying a single tear and All Might telling Kirishima to just use brute force are my favorite parts

Also man I really prefer All Might using "[character], my boy!" to the anime's "young man", it has a lot more character.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Uraraka/Hatsume/Deku dynamic is very fun so I am extremely psyched for next week :allears:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I see Hatsume is also celebrating triple digits.

Great chapter. I want to see all the special moves. Don't give up, Ojiro. Also, "You're moving exactly how I'd predict a man with a tail would move!" Like it's common sense to think about how people with tails fight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I see Hatsume is also celebrating triple digits.

Great chapter. I want to see all the special moves. Don't give up, Ojiro. Also, "You're moving exactly how I'd predict a man with a tail would move!" Like it's common sense to think about how people with tails fight.

It probably is in the world of the manga. I'm betting that Ojiro just has an especially muscular tail. He should be using it for hitting not just to help him balance or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The chapter should have ended with the phrase a new challenger approaches.