Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like Percy's Green Arrow, but I really don't like his Teen Titans.

The characters just feel so incredibly shallow in this, and I'm not fond of his Damian at all. Which wouldn't be a problem if Damian wasn't such a big focus of his Teen Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

Abnett has been a poo poo writer since he and Lanning split.

the last stuff they wrote together before the split is real bad too. That Transformers mini was loving unreadable.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Abnett has been a poo poo writer since he and Lanning split.

True, I've been saying it for a while. His Herc was the last straw for me. I liked the first issue and then he basically just completely tried to remove everything that made Herc a fun character in the first place. I didn't want to read a Hercules book where he finally decides to get his poo poo together and be responsible. If it were a good book then maybe you can do that for a bit, but it would get old. It's even worse it's a bad book. On the plus side the Luke Ross art in it was nice.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I haven't really read in Hercules comics besides that series, so I found myself actually kinda digging what it was going for, but I can see why it would really frustrate people who liked Greg Pak's stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

They traveled into the SPEED FORCE and met the original young Titans. Damian stopped young Wally's (the original Wally) heart to kill him for a few minutes in order to somehow steal the SPEED FORCE from Deathstroke and give it back to Wally (the new Wally not the original Wally) and when they came back now Wally (the original Wally) has a heart condition and a pacemaker that will apparently kill him if he gets too stressed out.

I mean, I think that's what happened. The book is really bad and convoluted.
Man, I will bet you at least pocket change that that never comes up again and gets quietly retconned away within a year.

X-O posted:

True, I've been saying it for a while. His Herc was the last straw for me. I liked the first issue and then he basically just completely tried to remove everything that made Herc a fun character in the first place. I didn't want to read a Hercules book where he finally decides to get his poo poo together and be responsible. If it were a good book then maybe you can do that for a bit, but it would get old. It's even worse it's a bad book. On the plus side the Luke Ross art in it was nice.
But this I don't get. I really liked that run, I thought it did a good job of modernizing Herc without removing what makes him fun, and it made the metaphor pretty explicit by bringing in a bunch of fun mythology stuff to fight some neat new gods, two thirds of whom were very interesting (and Modern War being a distant, voiceless cypher does in fact ring true). I'm still pretty disappointed that the whole thing fizzled out in a not-great miniseries and then got cancelled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Man, I will bet you at least pocket change that that never comes up again and gets quietly retconned away within a year.

The guy that's writing the book with Wally in it wrote this. And there was a tag at the end of the book of Wally going to the doctor where the doctor explains all this to him. He obviously has a story to tell with it so it's going to be a thing. Luckily not in a book I have to read. I just didn't like the story I did read because it was bad.

To each his own on the Herc book but I did not like it at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

the last stuff they wrote together before the split is real bad too. That Transformers mini was loving unreadable.

Lanning didn't actually co write that I believe. They'd already parted ways so he tossed his notes at Abnett and told him to pound sand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope his Aquaman isn't too dull while Sejic's is on. It'd be cool to get an interesting story to go with those pictures.

Edit: Read the Lazarus Contract final and I didn't hate it. The first two pages of terrible geek speak were by far the worst part.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

pubic works project posted:

I really enjoyed this week's Flash. Great interaction between Barry and Hal. I'm so happy that Reverse-Flash isn't dead!!!

Is that his thing now? I just flipped through this issue as I haven't touched any of the new Flash stuff yet (maybe I'll binge it this weekend I love the Flash) but my understanding is that he's died like three times now in the last few months and keeps coming back?

I mean I don't really care because I love that character anyhow but it was just weird to me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tensokuu posted:

Is that his thing now? I just flipped through this issue as I haven't touched any of the new Flash stuff yet (maybe I'll binge it this weekend I love the Flash) but my understanding is that he's died like three times now in the last few months and keeps coming back?

I mean I don't really care because I love that character anyhow but it was just weird to me.

Not in the last few months, but he does do it a lot, even for a comic book character. This one's the quickest turnaround though. He gets killed by Thomas Wayne Batman in Flashpoint, then revives/travels back to the main universe in the recent Batman/Flash crossover right in time to immediately get blown up by Dr. Manhattan, then stays dead for like a week before coming back in this week's Flash. It helps that he's a time traveler and at this point pretty much a walking paradox.

Also

http://i.imgur.com/F7bttaW.mp4

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dextersoy/status/870352341660192768

:ohdear:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Me reading your posts

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
An instance where "turn on your monitor" does nothing, then

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Days: The Forge preview
http://www.comicosity.com/preview-dark-days-the-forge-1/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A while ago, DC solicited a "Superman: The Man of Tomorrow, Vol. 1" hardcover which was meant to start collecting the Dan Jurgens era Superman, where the now-completed "Superman: The Man of Steel" tpb series collecting the John Byrne / Marv Wolfman Post-Crisis stuff ends.

Was that ever released?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Priest talks about the issues people has with Lazarus Contract

quote:

And Now What?

So, I’m reading all of this hoopla online about the Titans crossover event and how terribly I handled Damian and OG Wally and why didn’t I know this thing happened on page 6 of Obscure Comics #12 back in 2004. Okay, I heard you.

And now what? So, Damian is (apparently) no longer a little poo poo. He is thoughtful and more mature and less impulsive, less self-centered. Great. I got it wrong. And now what? What do we do with a character after we’ve smoothed out all of the rough edges and rounded off all the corners?

Wally *doesn’t* have a heart problem. Gotcha. And now what? How do we make OG Wally relevant or even interesting? I’m not trying to pick a fight or insult anybody, I’m really asking: and now what? What do the fans actually want? They seem to want their heroes to be perfect and problem-free.

They also seem to want the writers, or at least me, to have read a decade worth of comics before putting their favorite characters into a story. I don’t have time to read 100 comics. I don’t know any working writer who does. I can read, maybe, ten. And I will portray the character the way he or she is being portrayed now, today, currently, not what was done years or even months before.

It’s entirely possible that I’m missing the point fans are trying to make. I *am* listening, but this is a mystery to me. The impression I am forming is fans want their characters to evolve into flat, lifeless droids who, I guess, have adventures wherein their decisions are always spot-on, they are always portrayed in a heroic light, and nobody ever gets damaged. I don’t intend that to be mean-spirited. That literally is my takeaway from all the crosstalk I am seeing.

The extreme distortions– calling my and my colleagues’ work “garbage” –doesn’t help. Arguably, some fans reacted strongly to the stresses we put their favorite characters through. But to suggest that no part, not one scene or one page of the Titans crossover was any good– is just silly. This is the sad byproduct of our zero-sum society, wherein everybody has to be polarized to the extreme of everyone else. Disagreeing with how I portray Potato Man does not, in fact, make me an actual Nazi.

So, somebody help me out. I’m sure many fans gripe about DC or Marvel not listening to them. Well, I’m listening. It’s important to me, to my job, to figure out what fans want and do my best to provide that while not boring them to death by actually giving them exactly what they want.

But is no-drama Wally really what they want? If so, then what? Is well-balanced, non-tempestuous Damian what they want? If so, then what? What do we do? What stories do we write about these characters once they’ve shed the very characteristics that made us love them in the first place?

With all possible respect to my friend Tim Seely, my former mentor Marv Wolfman, Devin Grayson, Geoff Johns and others, I find Dick Grayson to be the most boring Wonder Bread boilerplate character ever to pull on spandex. That’s just me. Tens of thousands of fans are *rabid* Dick Grayson fans. For the life of me, I couldn’t explain why. Grayson, in his various iterations, seems, to me, the ultimate expression of what I’m being harangued about around the web: the flattened-out character whose dealt with all of his shortcomings and character flaws. I see Grayson and I wonder, “And now what?”

Is that what fans want– Damian to be indistinguishable from Grayson? Wally to have no challenges to overcome? And, if so, then what?

I’m not trying to be sarcastic or even defensive. I’m trying to understand because, obviously, I’m missing something.

http://lamerciepark.com/wp/?p=606

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'll help you out, Mr. Priest -- people like their positive characters, and want to see them shine. This is part of why there was such a backlash to that "Dick Grayson kills supers" story coming down the pipeline. For many fans, that's just not a great premise. You can put Dick in a hard situation, but fans want to see his inherent positivity win the day, not just some last-page smiles before another loved one is killed or arm gets ripped off. Barry Allen pulled Wally West out of the speed force through the sheer power of friendship. I've read what goes down between Wally and Damian but not the issues themselves, so I can't speak to Damian's role too much, but he's portrayed perfectly in Super Sons as Batman's son/protege who's also an unapologetic dick.

Do fans want their heroes to never struggle, never have character flaws? Of course not. Priest isn't wrong about the need for conflict and personality growth; without them, you get Hal Jordan. Priest has written a great run of Deathstroke so far, making him a definite villain, but compelling and with interesting storytelling around him. At the same time, Priest seems to deflect a lot in that blog post. I have to imagine he's been reading the most extreme reactions and projecting them onto the whole fanbase. I'll have something more useful to contribute once Lazarus Contract is out in trade. What do y'all think?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think he should write the stories he wants to write and if people don't like them they can not buy them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
good idea to post that on his personal blog where he will surely get no dissenting opinion at all

Christopher Priest is one of the greatest comics writers to ever live but with all due respect that's some new jack nick-spencer-complaining-that-people-who-hate-nazi-cap-just-don't-want-change bullshit

like nah dude change is fine the change you guys wrote just sucks. Wally with a heart condition that will kill him if he goes fast is either a completely binary story development (you sideline the character for an extended period of time which nobody loving wants considering he just came back or you fix it in a couple of months with zero fanfare so why did you even bother to begin with) or a stumbling block for the character to occasionally trip over, a played-out "oh no my webshooters are out of fluid!" plot device that everyone was tired of ten years ago.

What stories does this open up? What does this let you do with the character? The exciting adventures of sadsack Wally and his lovely pacemaker? Why should I care about that? Why should anyone?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 3, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think he understands that Damian's character development is currently ongoing in multiple current comics, and not just in some obscure comic nobody read or cares about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Roth posted:

I don't think he understands that Damian's character development is currently ongoing in multiple current comics, and not just in some obscure comic nobody read or cares about.

I think he knows he is just being a defensive rear end in a top hat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think he knows he is just being a defensive rear end in a top hat

The super disingenuous "help me understand!" as a thin veneer for him just ranting into the void about how the kids are out of touch with what makes good comics ruffles me more than anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

The super disingenuous "help me understand!" as a thin veneer for him just ranting into the void about how the kids are out of touch with what makes good comics ruffles me more than anything

Yeah if you have to say that what you mean is the opposite of how it could be read ya hosed up.especially from a goddam writer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I do think there may be a genuine disconnect he's experiencing with Wally West fans, in the sense that Priest has been involved with making comics for almost forty years now, and has been engaging with comics fans online for at least twenty (I remember him being on Usenet back in the mid 1990s).

I haven't really been paying attention to the fan response to the Lazarus Contract but I really feel like there's a big difference between the types of "character changes" people are talking about :

1) Understandably you have the sort of retconny ones that really upset people because it does feel like something fundamental to the character has been altered. Priest's been involved with these before, whether it was a last-second retcon of the "Who is the Hobgoblin?" mystery in Spider-Man, or retconning post-Crisis Hal Jordan into a recovering alcoholic who paralyzed his friend while driving drunk. This is (imperfectly) how people are reading the Nazsteve storyline at Marvel right now, altering things in a way that it colors the entire lens of the character, politically or otherwise. Speaking for myself I definitely understand why these bother people, and I'm guessing Priest might as well, and he's said as much about some of the ones he's worked on.

2) You have the sort of "big thing" in the present that could fundamentally change a character going forward and would be hard to come back from: Hank Pym hitting Janet, John Stewart being a "bad Green Lantern" and letting a galaxy get annihilated, Hal Jordan/Parallax, turning Doctor Light into a rape-o-holic, etc. I also understand why people get mad at those sort of things too, because they happened and should be folded into the character's history and future appearances, and unless someone tries really hard to do some Yellow Space Bug magic, there's not really any coming back from it.

3) You have the sort of "big things" that are very obviously set up as some sort of storyline. Steve Rogers quits being Captain America FOREVER! The Avengers disband, FOREVER! Superman is now a blue electric man FOREVER. Jim Gordon is Batman! I have only been reading Deathstroke prior to this crossover, but nothing in the crossover itself makes me think that "Wally West with a heart condition" is anything but one of these "here's something we're going to do a story about for awhile" decision. Getting mad about these things does seem kind of dumb and shortsighted, and I think is what Priest was getting at. "Wally West is the Flash, but if he runs it might kill him" is an obstacle to be overcome, just like "Deathstroke is blind!" or "Superboy's been kidnapped!" or "Batman has been framed for murder!" are obstacles, and presumably this was done with a story in mind by Priest and also Dan Abnett who has been writing Wally since he came back and also co-wrote this crossover.

I really think Nazsteve has muddied the waters here, because even though technically this whole Secret Empire poo poo is a story-based obstacle that Steve Rogers has to overcome, it also means the character spends a year and a half being a Nazi Poster Boy and doing really distasteful character-ruining stuff across dozens of comics until someone Care Bear Stares him into being a good guy or whatever they have planned. I don't think doing six month/a year of "being the Flash could kill Wally!" stories comes anywhere near Nazsteve or a dozen other "bad stories".

Where I think Priest probably really is out of touch is, as people have pointed out, taking the most hyperbolic shitposters online and projecting their views on everyone who disliked the story.

The other thing that I think he might not fully appreciate is how between the New 52 and all threats real and perceived against the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the Perlmutter Era, fans have a greater fear of Actual Erasure of their favorite characters in a real way that was generally way more paranoid in the 1980s and 1990s.

As for the Damien stuff, he's been a cold tactician and terrible at social graces in literally every comic I've ever seen him in, which admittedly is probably less than half of his appearances. I also haven't seen anyone actually complaining about that so I have no idea.

Also I am not a Flash Expert or a DC Writer but in terms of "What Can You Do With Wally" in terms of story ideas right off the top of my head it would be a potentially neat idea to have essentially a Speed Force Dr. Hank Pym character, from when Hank (who also had a made up heart condition, I think!) couldn't grow or shrink anymore but he could still make other stuff grow and shrink and so he had to adapt to being a hero using a completely different aspect of the Growy/Shrinky powerset. I have no idea if there's a Flash character who's already gone down that path, but it's something?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 3, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, I like Priest but holy poo poo he comes off like a huge whiny rear end in a top hat there. People didn't like the story because it was bad and for several characters it was either a complete disconnect to how they'd been presented lately or pushing them off into directions where people don't want to see them go. It was a bad crossover and you're a good writer and it happens. Just accept that people didn't like it and move on and try to do better. Quit with the whining.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Man, I like Priest but holy poo poo he comes off like a huge whiny rear end in a top hat there. People didn't like the story because it was bad and for several characters it was either a complete disconnect to how they'd been presented lately or pushing them off into directions where people don't want to see them go. It was a bad crossover and you're a good writer and it happens. Just accept that people didn't like it and move on and try to do better. Quit with the whining.

He's a great writer but he's not good at taking criticism. And if a book ends before he's ready he gets really angry and publically vents.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"How do you make Wally relevant or interesting without a heart condition" is a dumb-rear end question to ask about Wally loving West. It isn't like he has a ton of personality flaws and plot beats you can work with instead of a generic crippling angst flaw.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The author who is currently writing the comic that involves Wally was involved in plotting this thing. The plot point is probably only serving what they want to do, and you're either reading Titans because of his story or you're avoiding it and barely experiencing the character anyway.

I'm fine with Damian. All of the emotional depth from Tomassi and Gleason hasn't shifted him enough from his status quo where I could expect any other author to deviate from the basic description.

edit: Admittedly, I was only just slightly bored with the crossover, so I can accept people feeling differently if it really got to them, but there's no way it's affected me as a Super Sons fan.

ee: I hope he never gets his hands on Potato Man, though. Just seeing that, my heart skipped a beat!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 3, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

"How do you make Wally relevant or interesting without a heart condition" is a dumb-rear end question to ask about Wally loving West. It isn't like he has a ton of personality flaws and plot beats you can work with instead of a generic crippling angst flaw.

One that was used in the 80s

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

The author who is currently writing the comic that involves Wally was involved in plotting this thing. The plot point is probably only serving what they want to do, and you're either reading Titans because of their stories or you're avoiding it and barely experiencing the character anyway.

I'm fine with Damian. All of the emotional depth from Tomassi and Gleason hasn't shifted him enough from his status quo where I could expect any other author to deviate from the basic description.

edit: Admittedly, I was only just slightly bored with the crossover, so I can accept people feeling differently if it really got to them, but there's no way it's affected me as a Super Sons fan.

ee: I hope he never gets his hands on Potato Man, though. Just seeing that, my heart skipped a beat!

Abnett's Titans is garbage and he is loving up those characters.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's also the fact that there's a ridiculous amount of stuff regarding "Rebirth" that is in sort of a holding pattern until Doomsday Clock and then whatever final explanation for how the New 52 is really the Old 52 But With Love Stolen, and there are now multiple reports of people working on Superman/Batman/Flash related books kind of being told at the absolute last second WAIT NO, DON'T DO THIS THING WE TOLD YOU TO DO, DO SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE suggesting that many of these writers (Abnett included, possibly) are literally being told to tread water on these characters/books, and then sometimes told suddenly to tread different water RIGHT NOW.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

One that was used in the 80s

Over and over again. And it's almost never fun.

I guess the one where Wally turns into a spiny monster was OK.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly the thing that bothers me the most is that I feel like I was tricked into reading a Deathstroke series by people saying "No it's cool Deathstroke doesn't just own people all the time because he's cool, it's complex!"* only to then read a story where Deathstroke is so cool and kidnaps 2 Flashes with like zero effort (okay they show him buying burgers for New Wally which I guess could be laced with tranquilizers if you need a justification, but Old Wally just gets taken between loving panels with zero explanation) and steals New Wally's speed and wrecks two teams of Titans and uses super speed more effectively than either Wally (creating a loving lightning sword because speedforce I guess) and in the end doesn't actually lose, he just quits.

*That said, it was pretty cool and I was enjoying it, but this has been a very bad crossover.

edit: Actually strike that, it's been mostly cool. That issue with Deathstroke owning Superman with his horseshit suit was also frustrating to read.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Teenage Fansub posted:

I can sort of see Damian as the guy who's going to, in this situation, pride himself on making the tough call to hurt Wally and then dealing with the consequences of his decision come what may. "Let all of them hate me if they want. I did what they couldn't do and I can live with it."

I absolutely cannot see Damian as this uncontrollable, trigger-happy sadist who makes these callous decisions pretty much out of impatience or annoyance, and then calls everyone else idiots for not being just like him. It's particularly absurd considering that this is the same character who surrendered himself to the League of Assassins in the arc just before this one, in this same series, because he didn't want to see his new teammates unnecessarily harmed!

The worst thing is that no one in either team gives him any poo poo about it at all, like they literally forgot that this thirteen year-old acted on his own to stop someone's heart without any remorse whatsoever. This is the sort of thing that Batman would disown people over.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 4, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Blockhouse posted:

good idea to post that on his personal blog where he will surely get no dissenting opinion at all

Christopher Priest is one of the greatest comics writers to ever live but with all due respect that's some new jack nick-spencer-complaining-that-people-who-hate-nazi-cap-just-don't-want-change bullshit

like nah dude change is fine the change you guys wrote just sucks. Wally with a heart condition that will kill him if he goes fast is either a completely binary story development (you sideline the character for an extended period of time which nobody loving wants considering he just came back or you fix it in a couple of months with zero fanfare so why did you even bother to begin with) or a stumbling block for the character to occasionally trip over, a played-out "oh no my webshooters are out of fluid!" plot device that everyone was tired of ten years ago.

What stories does this open up? What does this let you do with the character? The exciting adventures of sadsack Wally and his lovely pacemaker? Why should I care about that? Why should anyone?

The same story we got in the 80s where Wally stops being a superhero and goes to college, I'm guessing, since Abnett's favorite thing to do in Titans is just ripoff already done stories and do them worse.

If he does it worse than Wolfman's Wally then that will be an accomplishment.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 4, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe they're naive to trust in his temporary heart stopping ninja move, but they didn't see the consequences before walking out of the story.

And to be fair, last time a heart was stopped, it worked out well. Hopefully Wally also stars in a surprisingly great superspy comic!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 4, 2017

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BrianWilly posted:

She kisses him unexpectedly, using it as a distraction to get close in order to grab him by the balls and threatens to rip them off.

Which, incidentally, is such a hollow loving portrayal of a "strong, feminist woman" and kinda indicative of Azzarello's overall process towards writing Diana. Like of course the only recourse towards misogyny is to resort to sexualized violence in return, to physically mutilate someone, particularly their manhood. How badass lol! How Amazonian lol! Women who don't take your poo poo are just gonna lop off your dick! Or rape and then kill you! Like, it genuinely would have annoyed me much less if Diana had in fact just punched him; it's the whole portrayal of Diana as some sexy destroyer of penises -- and there's a term for this kind of psychological complex -- that makes Azzarello's methods so shallow and transparent.

To say nothing of how confounding it is that he turned Orion into a rampant, public, unapologetic misogynist in the first place. The worst thing about Azzarello's run, at the end of the day, is how insidiously anti-feminist it was. Not only does he remove or outright corrupt all of the positive female aspects of Wonder Woman's world and lieu of replacing them with male mentors and male allies and male power sources, he makes most of those male characters inherently anti-women as a matter of course. There's not a single male character in the entirety of Azz's run who wholly, unashamedly shares in Diana's own feminist principles (feminist by Azz's superficial standards, in any case), so not only are the women in this run disempowered and sexist, but the men who are ostensibly the "good ones" in this storyline are just about as bad if not worse.

I'm sorry that I will never be able to be neutral about this run. To me it was even more vile and damaging towards Wonder Woman than, say, the Hydra Cap storyline has been towards Captain America, and the fact that DC has since retconned it out of existence as it deserves is the only reason I've returned to reading their books.

Happy Wonder Woman Day! :buddy:

It had good art and cool characters designs but yeah, it was regressive and distasteful in a lot of fundamental ways. I had high hopes starting it that the universe of bleak gender-horror that the book began on would be subverted and transcended but I don't know, I think I eventually realized Azzarello was shooting for something shallower and, in a way, even more depressing.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think I've ever liked an Azzarello book

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Roth posted:

I don't think I've ever liked an Azzarello book

100 Bullets had nice enough art that it had me fooled for a pretty long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe they're naive to trust in his temporary heart stopping ninja move, but they didn't see the consequences before walking out of the story.

And to be fair, last time a heart was stopped, it worked out well. Hopefully Wally also stars in a surprisingly great superspy comic!

That's not true. He changed history. If Damian had given Wally a heart condition 10 years ago they would've all been immediately aware that Wally had always had a heart condition because Damian crippled him. As a matter of fact, they would've known that before they even went to time travel because history loving changed.

Bad time travel writing is always the worst.