Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NeurosisHead posted:

That's Tolkien dwarves, silly

Considering how loving stupid and over the top the Dwarves were in The Battle of the Five Armies film, they might as well have been Steamhead Duardin looking for Ur-Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The best thing about beastmen is how they bellow nonsense gibberish when you click on them

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Fangz posted:

I kinda wonder how they will add regiments of renown on to Chaos and Beastmen. Selling DLC for DLC is a bit much, unless it's very cheap.

They've said they won't do this but I think what we'll see is them release them along side DLC like they did with Wuzzrag and the Chaos units.

Savvy viewers will realize that this is actually just having the DLC buyers pay for the FLC for everyone else.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fangz posted:

I'm not at super high difficulty levels, but as Skarsnik I found some advantage in sacking the human cities near your location. They are worth 9-10k a pop, and are generally poorly defended. Nobody cares if you gently caress up the secessionists, and the yellow Bretonnian faction can't easily counterattack you because of the terrain.

With that you can probably get enough money to fill up Skarsnik's stack enough to get a waaagh, maybe even buy a second stack of skulkers and then go to town.

Had real trouble with this start playing on Hard difficulty.

- Go straight to Karak Norn first turn I don't have enough troops to take it. I've found I need at least a 2 to 1 advantage given difference in quality between goblins and dwarves.
- Wait a couple of turns then go to Karak Norn, they have started recruiting dwarven warriors out the wazoo and I don't have enough troops to take it.
- Sit in home city and build up - Karak Norn sit home as well. Stalemate.
- Raid human cities - Karak Norn attack my city and I'm either a) too far away to save it or b) get home and don't have enough troops to defend it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why aren't you farming your waagh counter?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ravenfood posted:

Fighting orcs as dwarves on the harder settings is just dumb as poo poo. Their supposed low morale weakness means nothing and they basically have to be fought down to the last orc before they break. Right now I've got a battle where I've killed their lord and systematically broken their lines, but their arrer boys just keep rallying until I have to purge wipe them out utterly. gently caress.

Venting over. I know that part of it is that dwarves have no light cavalry by design, but goddamn is it irritating to have to almost entirely wipe out boyz to break them, while their friends rally constantly. It almost makes the morale system meaningless.

I swear by using a mod to neutralize in battle differences because they are dumb.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Now that they've established a precedent of adding free content to DLC factions, and also allowed the AI to make use of regiments of renown, it seems to me like they could add the Beastmen/Chaos RORs as a free update at some point down the line, if they're going to do them at all.

I think it goes against Sega's financial mindset to give that kind of update to something people have already paid for. The RoR and the lords are literally everything that's in these new packs and I just can't see them give it up for free as a later update to DLC factions.

I hope to be surprised though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I swear by using a mod to neutralize in battle differences because they are dumb.

This guy is doing it right.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Can't you just do this by switching the battle difficulty to "normal" mid-campaign?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Necroskowitz posted:

Can't you just do this by switching the battle difficulty to "normal" mid-campaign?

For campaign difficulty what you select absolutely effects their decision making process on multiple levels--on lower difficulties they'll just "give up" on a stack that's down to 4 units and let you kill it whereas by legendary they'll do there best to run away and save even 1-man stacks as an example--so I suspect it would be the same for in-battle. That's usually why people use mods there rather than switch.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Sneak peek at Grombrindal in the campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSSbwGn76pY

He gets something akin to the Beastmen moon phases, giving different bonuses to armies, finances, or grombrindal himself

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's definitely interesting that the White Dwarf actually specializes mostly in campaign bonuses. I'm sure he's hard as nails and all but his combat tree is completely generic and he's the first LL I've seen who seems intended for you to sink all his points into the Red and Blue lines, since like 70% of his unique skills are in the blue tree and LD has the rest.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Holy poo poo does three units of thunderers whittle down my poor Arachnorok fast. :cry:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fangz posted:

Holy poo poo does three units of thunderers whittle down my poor Arachnorok fast. :cry:

Well, that's kinda their thing. Thunderers kill tough things with lots of armor, but aren't cost effective against lighter units.

The solution, of course, is more spiders.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The solution is the Arachnarok Queen spawning some hatchlings under the Thunderers to gently caress them up.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Link?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I should have screenshotted it, but I managed to get 795 kills with a single unit of Iron Drakes. I blew a hole in the walls of Karak Eight Peak and flamed down the endless waves of goblins that came to fight Belagor and his ghost thane buddies in the gap. It was hilarious

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So the buff helped em, then?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

SickZip posted:

I should have screenshotted it, but I managed to get 795 kills with a single unit of Iron Drakes. I blew a hole in the walls of Karak Eight Peak and flamed down the endless waves of goblins that came to fight Belagor and his ghost thane buddies in the gap. It was hilarious

This has to be one of the most metal and dwarvish things I have ever read.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SickZip posted:

Belegar's wife was not amused when the family moved in. She had to travel all the way to Hind to find the aromatic herbs she would need to rid the fortress of the stench.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dandywalken posted:

So the buff helped em, then?

They're still very finicky and I wouldn't use them in multiplayer, but their alot less finicky then they were and when everything clicks for them it really clicks

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
So far Grombrindal seems right up there with Vlad as far as busted. The 'Living Ancestor' stuff hasn't come up yet but I'm interested to see what it is. Two fights in and it's easy to tell he's gonna be a melee monster. His starting army is kind of weird, but turn one I have enough $$ to buy 3 warriors, the building that lets you buy more quarrelers and a money building.

I still have to finish my Belegar campaign but that's really just mopping up. Excited to see what his quest maps look like, 4 quest items is badass.

Here's his living ancestor stuff. Feel like this will make the early game a lot easier. Going from Belegar to this feels like easy mode.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 26, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone want to do a set of goon tourney matches quick? Edit--another time

I did finish my matches with Yukitsu the other day, but forgot to grab all the replays. He said that he got them all, though. Posting the score here before I forget: 3-1 in my favor

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 26, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

All the bonuses are insane, but that 20% tech bonus is pretty much what I'll pick every time. Dwarf tech is just that good.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone want to do a set of goon tourney matches

I'd like to but we never seem to be on the same time.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

The battle difficulty slider you can change ingame doesn't actually do anything; it's a known bug.

You can test this by turning the difficulty to normal and clicking on an enemy unit in a battle. They'll have the buffs from difficulty e.g. +10 leadership.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Had real trouble with this start playing on Hard difficulty.

- Go straight to Karak Norn first turn I don't have enough troops to take it. I've found I need at least a 2 to 1 advantage given difference in quality between goblins and dwarves.
- Wait a couple of turns then go to Karak Norn, they have started recruiting dwarven warriors out the wazoo and I don't have enough troops to take it.
- Sit in home city and build up - Karak Norn sit home as well. Stalemate.
- Raid human cities - Karak Norn attack my city and I'm either a) too far away to save it or b) get home and don't have enough troops to defend it.

I am playing on Hard and this seemed to work for me. Note that Karak Norn does send a stack to attack me but I've built up my goblin big boss by constantly Block Army tactical espionaging their stack, so they can only creep slowly towards me, making it easy for me to send my guys back and possibly even catch their army out in the open.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
First time I played Crooked Moon I built up a full stack of goblins then used the underway to get to Grimhold, the minor settlement just south of Karak Norn - I took it very easily, and Karak Norn's army went north to take my own settlement. When they left, the capital was undefended, and I was able to take it; I lost my starting settlement but without walls or the capital garrison, Karak Norn's army was an easy kill.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fangz posted:

I am playing on Hard and this seemed to work for me. Note that Karak Norn does send a stack to attack me but I've built up my goblin big boss by constantly Block Army tactical espionaging their stack, so they can only creep slowly towards me, making it easy for me to send my guys back and possibly even catch their army out in the open.

If you block an army using an agent and the army tries to move using the underway, is that then an automatic interception?
Cause that is how I killed the Karak Norn stack and then I could just waltz in on the keep itself. Seemed reproducible with different seeds as well.

Also, Belgarad got killed by a Goblin Big Boss, so now I am going to kill off his stack.
On Hard, because having a computer that is better by cheating by better leadership while having disorder penalty just seems tedious at higher difficulties.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Mukip we just played each other in multiplayer quick battle. It took me a minute to realize where I recognized your name from. You were chaos, I was the in-the-forest greenskins. You play chaos a lot better than I do.

Half my matches are against Greenskins atm so I don't remember that one. I'm really enjoying Chaos at the moment. I especially like Aspiring Champions, in addition to solving morale issues they make battle lines of Marauders look metal with their glowing swords and skull bandoliers:

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

John Charity Spring posted:

First time I played Crooked Moon I built up a full stack of goblins then used the underway to get to Grimhold, the minor settlement just south of Karak Norn - I took it very easily, and Karak Norn's army went north to take my own settlement. When they left, the capital was undefended, and I was able to take it; I lost my starting settlement but without walls or the capital garrison, Karak Norn's army was an easy kill.

This is the same thing I did. Karak Norn is pretty easy to take when there isn't a massive stack of dwarves sitting on it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Been holding off on finishing my rounds in the tournaments till the new units are added to the battle planner, or are we going without them?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Clan Angrund campaign is pretty fun and difficult. Started off well enough by securing the province, though my first battle was against Broken Nose's army and a somewhat big settlement garrison which resulted in a pyrrhic victory that delayed my further progress somewhat. Then after I had secured the province Skarsnik appears out of the Underway in my lands with a large army and his goddamn spider. Crooked Moon had gone hard against Karak Norn and had them wiped out a few turns prior to this, I could have confederated them when they were down to their last province, but decided against it as I couldn't have defended that one settlement anyway. Anyway I tried to fight Skarsnik's army but ended up defeated with the Arachnarok eating Belegar's ghost dad. After that I made haste for the capital and put Belegar and all the ghosts in there, Crooked Moon soon secures the rest of the province and I'm down to my capital and an army of 4 warriors, 4 rangers and grudge thrower (Hammerers bit it against Skarsnik). Then comes 2 siege defenses against a total of 4 Crooked Moon armies, all of which saw me victorious (Thunderers and a Master Engineer seem really effective against monsters, at least in siege battles).

With the Crooked Moon no longer besieging me I'm hoping I'll have some time to lick my wounds, my grudge book is full of outrages, though I fulfilled some of them by my defensive victories which brought me some much needed gold. But yeah, the Crooked Moon are still out there as I couldn't really decisively destroy their armies and I can't really afford to field a very formidable army at the moment, especially when they are still raiding me. But hopefully I can turn this around as I think I may have broken their momentum.

Karak Hirn are worthless allies who constantly wish me to join their wars against Wissenland and Averland and all sorts of Inane poo poo, most recently against the Empire itself, which I can't afford as Karl Franz is currently in the south, fighting those bastards in Karak Hirn, I imagine. As they did not want to help me out against Crooked Moon I dropped that worthless alliance and maybe I'll go teach them a lesson sometime in the future.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
My view:
Core: Marauder Horsemasters, Nasty Skulkers
Special: Rangers, Squig Hoppers and Herds, Bolt Thrower
Rare: Aspiring Champions, Manticore

Some of those unit don't exist in the TT so I just assigned them a spot that makes balance sense.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 26, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Randarkman posted:

Karak Hirn are worthless allies who constantly wish me to join their wars against Wissenland and Averland and all sorts of Inane poo poo, most recently against the Empire itself, which I can't afford as Karl Franz is currently in the south, fighting those bastards in Karak Hirn, I imagine. As they did not want to help me out against Crooked Moon I dropped that worthless alliance and maybe I'll go teach them a lesson sometime in the future.

in my campaign the Greenskins paid Karak Hirn to go to war with me and I've been unable to expand past the base province because I'm constantly being attacked by goblins and then, as soon as I recover, karak hirn comes for me. I briefly managed to take two of Karak Hirn's three settlements but then Skarsnik showed up and I had to go back and deal with that, at which point Chaos revolts (Karak Hirn was bad at managing corruption I guess) razed the two towns I captured, and somehow Karak Hirn has two full stacks which are currently raiding my territory. At least my army is strong as gently caress, everyone is 8 or 9 veterancy but I also can't afford to start a new stack. I'm just perpetually stomping out invaders.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Did they make AI Beastmen a lot more powerful this patch or something? Wissenland is a mess of ruins and herdstones in my game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Playing Dwarfs my biggest issue in battles seem to be Goblin archers of all things. Do those bastards have armor piercing or something? Because those guys seem to loving chew through my Dwarf Warriors who suffer horrendous casualties in every battle due to those guys, it's pretty ridiculous, and I have no sure way of catching them either.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Randarkman posted:

Playing Dwarfs my biggest issue in battles seem to be Goblin archers of all things. Do those bastards have armor piercing or something? Because those guys seem to loving chew through my Dwarf Warriors who suffer horrendous casualties in every battle due to those guys, it's pretty ridiculous, and I have no sure way of catching them either.

They don't have meaningful AP, but they do have 50% more models per unit and a comparable fire rate to Quarrellers. I normally shoot them to death b/c they are by far the most dangerous part of early game Greenskin armies. Rangers are fast enough to come to grips with them and artillery will scare them off.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Mukip posted:

My view:
Core: Marauder Horsemasters, Nasty Skulkers
Special: Rangers, Squig Hoppers and Herds, Bolt Thrower
Rare: Aspiring Champions

Some of those unit don't exist in the TT so I just assigned them a spot that makes balance sense.
Out of curiosity did you follow that layout on your fights against me? I considered the Chaos Manticore rare or special, myself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Randarkman posted:

They have low morale and lose 1v1 shooting matches v quarreler units. Focus fire them first and when one unit routs fire the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Shoot them with quarrellers and they'll die real fast. Make sure to keep your warriors in formation. If they start chasing fleeing boyz they'll be much more vulnerable to arrow fire.

• Locked thread