Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost
Thanks Guys! Appreciate the help. Micromancer, I'm going to check out that mumble, and Public Karma seems like a good start for null-sec, which seems fun and interesting. Thanks!

edit: derp new page sorry!

Corrigenda fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Kimsemus posted:

Did you play with us?

No, but a million years ago myself and a group of friends (about 11 of us) started playing EVE together, and our lovely newbie corp got absolutely crushed by high-sec wardecs. I got scammed by a guy called Cannibal Kane to try and fight back against the wardeccers, and ended up joining up with him to actually learn how to PvP and poo poo. Of our group, I think I was the only one who kept playing.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Recoome posted:

No, but a million years ago myself and a group of friends (about 11 of us) started playing EVE together, and our lovely newbie corp got absolutely crushed by high-sec wardecs. I got scammed by a guy called Cannibal Kane to try and fight back against the wardeccers, and ended up joining up with him to actually learn how to PvP and poo poo. Of our group, I think I was the only one who kept playing.

Everyone CODE. scams and fights with frequently is invited to join us for future scams and fun. The majority of people in CODE were at one point scammed or ganked by CODE members or pre-CODE era gankers, and it's crazy to think about the butterfly effect poo poo here:

One day in early 2014 a relatively new and upstart ganker loyalanon ganked a random Mackinaw of a highsec miner pleb by the name of Siegfried Cohenberg. He was invited onto comms, and quickly incorporated into the CODE machine, metagaming his way into a multi trillion fortune and pioneering and mastering several types of scams, including bumping (and freighter dueling), stealing faction pos sticks (and eventually citadels), and mass contract scamming. He must've stolen a couple trillion in his career, all because loyalanon happened to choose to shoot his Mackinaw instead of the other perfectly good one next to him on a whim. Not only that, but I knew Siegfried before I was even interested in ganking/scamming in eve, and without him there is a good chance I would have never started ganking, as he is the reason I joined CODE and then GSF/miniluv.

Basically, what I'm saying is a single gank directly caused hundreds of people to quit eve, biomass their characters, or lose everything they've ever had to a couple of NEETS who played eve in college and just spent the ISK on dumb poo poo like monocles or injecting 20 alts to fly freighters just so hauling catalysts to uedama is a once-a-year event

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Corrigenda posted:

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the help. Micromancer, I'm going to check out that mumble, and Public Karma seems like a good start for null-sec, which seems fun and interesting. Thanks!

edit: derp new page sorry!

16th post is a lame snipe.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Recoome posted:

Yeah and even this result was pretty good given the typical new player experience. I think our alt corp did better because we had 2-3 FCs in it and people constantly injecting ISK into the project. Being a brand new player with no one to guide me, no one to help me make ISK, and no one to teach me how to fly? That's just horrendous.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When I first started playing EVE it was with a big group of real life friends who all joined togeather. We played D&D every week and after one guy showed us the game we all joined up and founded Sunset Squad. A bunch of them were WoW players who wanted something new, others didn't play any MMOs at all. We never made much isk or did any epic pvp, but we had a lot of fun learning the game togeather. We joined a couple alliances in Syndicate, eventually ending up in the Groon alliance Clockwork Pineapple.

Eventually a bunch of the d&d group got bored with EVE and it all just sort of collapsed. It wasn't really fun figuring out the game and struggling alone so I quit too. But that was the most fun I ever had in EVE. I think that might be a good way to bring other people into the game too. If CCP encouraged people to join in groups they would have much better retention numbers. But they seem to be going in the opposite direction, cutting referral bonuses.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rutibex posted:

When I first started playing EVE it was with a big group of real life friends who all joined togeather. We played D&D every week and after one guy showed us the game we all joined up and founded Sunset Squad. A bunch of them were WoW players who wanted something new, others didn't play any MMOs at all. We never made much isk or did any epic pvp, but we had a lot of fun learning the game togeather. We joined a couple alliances in Syndicate, eventually ending up in the Groon alliance Clockwork Pineapple.

Eventually a bunch of the d&d group got bored with EVE and it all just sort of collapsed. It wasn't really fun figuring out the game and struggling alone so I quit too. But that was the most fun I ever had in EVE. I think that might be a good way to bring other people into the game too. If CCP encouraged people to join in groups they would have much better retention numbers. But they seem to be going in the opposite direction, cutting referral bonuses.

They've needed to cut referral bonuses because otherwise they're hilariously abusable with skillfarms and other nonsense.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Beyond that, it's not exactly a great thing to basically require players to bring their own support group in order to peer pressure one another into playing.

Make the game fun.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CODE sounds pretty cool, until I remember the role playing.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ZombieLenin posted:

CODE sounds pretty cool, until I remember the role playing.

it's ironic roleplaying, done intentionally to gently caress with pubbies

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

But is it?

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

It should be required that they wear cosplay, and live stream on twitch while doing their "ironic" role playing. That might be entertaining.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everyone CODE. scams and fights with frequently is invited to join us for future scams and fun. The majority of people in CODE were at one point scammed or ganked by CODE members or pre-CODE era gankers, and it's crazy to think about the butterfly effect poo poo here:

There's a whole corp of this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I&t=32s

I think this is my favorite Eve trailer. That guy is so salty about his dead merlin.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

just like your ironic addiction to eve

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shame about the login incentives, but I can't be bothered to log in when I'm on a sailing trip :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
All i'm hearing is that loyalanon is to blame for globby posting in this thread

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
It would be really nice if they had a map like that ingame for showing territory your alliance owns.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict posted:

It would be really nice if they had a map like that ingame for showing territory your alliance owns.

CCP should just replace the in-game map with Dotlan. They took out the music player and the web browser, yet left in their abomination of a map system.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

SugarAddict posted:

The one in the video? That (or something very similar) is in game.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i mean yeah

we don't actually follow the code, it's part of the roleplay to trick people into thinking we're a swamped-in-bureaucracy organization, that's how we get people to fall into our scams.

eg "Hey we're gonna need you to pay this pre-reimbursement fee due to a processing error/// etc"

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

killing random pods warping to 4-4 is fun, so many people lose their mind, it's the highest efficiency of time or isk to tears ratio in the game i swear

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

https://zkillboard.com/kill/77912577/

ya most of them are empty or sub 100mil but then you get random rear end gems like these

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

https://zkillboard.com/kill/77912577/

ya most of them are empty or sub 100mil but then you get random rear end gems like these

I will admit I've flow to Jita in a shuttle with a full set of +5 learning implants (more than once). Maybe I'll stop doing that.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I will admit I've flow to Jita in a shuttle with a full set of +5 learning implants (more than once). Maybe I'll stop doing that.

You have nothing to worry about 99% of the time, most of the gankers in the game nowadays are in it purely for the profit or killboard efficiency, and wouldn't risk a t1 thrasher if the target could be an empty pod. There are only a couple of people like myself who have >140 IQ and are capable of executing elite maneuvers and killing pods en masse.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 20, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ironic role playing is still role playing.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

We very likely do, but the main problem is going to be regional gates. If you do resub, I'd talk to someone in capswarm for help on how to evac. If you can get to KQK1-2's keepstar, though, you will almost certainly be able to get home with a little assistance.

Thank you a lot for explaning it to me.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
While CCP is taking wild stabs in the dark in an attempt to make their game bearable to play again, they should look into reworking nullification and warp disruption.

I think it would be cool if bubbles presented a % chance to stop warp. When your warp is canceled by a bubble, your prop mod cycles and you can’t warp again until it’s done cycling. Introducing a scale for “is this ship nullified” instead of it being a yes or no value gives you a lot you can do gameplay wise. Certain ships could have percentages of chance to ignore a bubble, and you could introduce mechanics around the effectiveness of a bubble.

If they want to make their game fun to play, working on propulsion mechanics is the most effective place to spend time. It is the most basic core thing that everyone does while undocked. poo poo like MJD and micro MJD are great examples of fun propulsion changes, but they should continue to make poo poo cool. My other retarded idea is polarized MWDs that damage structure while cycling proportional to your ships speed, have generally average speed but go fast as gently caress over heated.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Make HICtors great again! :smugdon:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

causticBeet posted:

While CCP is taking wild stabs in the dark in an attempt to make their game bearable to play again, they should look into reworking nullification and warp disruption.

I think it would be cool if bubbles presented a % chance to stop warp. When your warp is canceled by a bubble, your prop mod cycles and you can’t warp again until it’s done cycling. Introducing a scale for “is this ship nullified” instead of it being a yes or no value gives you a lot you can do gameplay wise. Certain ships could have percentages of chance to ignore a bubble, and you could introduce mechanics around the effectiveness of a bubble.

If they want to make their game fun to play, working on propulsion mechanics is the most effective place to spend time. It is the most basic core thing that everyone does while undocked. poo poo like MJD and micro MJD are great examples of fun propulsion changes, but they should continue to make poo poo cool. My other retarded idea is polarized MWDs that damage structure while cycling proportional to your ships speed, have generally average speed but go fast as gently caress over heated.

If the question is, “How do I make the game fun?” The answer is not “add RNG.” Ever.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Saul Kain posted:

If the question is, “How do I make the game fun?” The answer is not “add RNG.” Ever.

Yeah the RNG aspect would suck I guess, maybe make bubbles increase align time or something like that instead.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Saul Kain posted:

I wouldn't state it in absolute terms. Cynos drop you in with some randomness, and that adds a small amount of risk. It might be bad, for example, for covert cynos to have a wider spread than normal cynos.

But I know what you mean.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
I'd add a webbing bubble.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Saul Kain posted:

RNG can make a game more fun: see path of exile

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

RNG can make a game more fun: see path of exile

Random loot chance is not the same as a random chance to suffer permanent loss. Further can you really say grinding the same content hoping RNG blesses you with good loot is “fun”?

How about this, in my opinion RNG is not fun, and I think it is a sign of lazy development. You can’t create an engaging gameplay loop, so you resort to RNG to trigger those dopamine rushes.

The cyno thing about it randomly throwing you in a sphere is something for which you can plan. If a bubble has a 33.3333333% chance to bubble you, well, maybe I shouldn’t take this trip. Or play this game.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Saul Kain posted:

Random loot chance is not the same as a random chance to suffer permanent loss. Further can you really say grinding the same content hoping RNG blesses you with good loot is “fun”?

ARPGs (like diablo, path of exile, torchlight, etc) all utilize RNG heavily for replayability and progression, and millions of people play those games.

Saul Kain posted:

How about this, in my opinion RNG is not fun, and I think it is a sign of lazy development. You can’t create an engaging gameplay loop, so you resort to RNG to trigger those dopamine rushes.

You can have whatever opinion you want, but that doesn't make you not wrong. there is nothing wrong with RNG/chance/gambling in and of itself, especially in video games. It's hard to create PvE content that isn't minmaxed within weeks (or days) of it being released, so developers generally rely heavily on RNG mechanics (or Player interaction/competition) which is the only way to give it replayability or really a reason to do once solved, especially in RPG type games.

Saul Kain posted:

The cyno thing about it randomly throwing you in a sphere is something for which you can plan. If a bubble has a 33.3333333% chance to bubble you, well, maybe I shouldn’t take this trip. Or play this game.

you can plan for both cases, just in the latter you choose not to, and then complain about when it doesn't go your way knowing there was a chance in the first place

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A globby post i agree with. Holy poo poo is it the end of the world?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

orange juche posted:

A globby post i agree with. Holy poo poo is it the end of the world?

it's because i'm usually almost always right most of the time

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

it's because i'm usually almost always right most of the time

Ah ok, stopped clock twice a day then. Oh well.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Your points are clear, cogent, and generally well made. While trying to make a pithy comment, I made a sweeping generalization. What is the internet without sweeping generalizations?

RNG is an element that many people find fun, as you say. I’m not one of them and that doesn’t make me wrong. EVE is not an ARPG. It may even be an AARPG (anti-action role playing game). I enjoy min-maxing the game and having predictable results. The random element of the game is human interactions.

I don’t want the game to be any more obtrusive, in the terms of artificial randomness, than it already is. The beauty of EVE is that it is a sandbox that relies on human interaction. I think more RNG will interfere with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Saul Kain posted:

I don’t want the game to be any more obtrusive, in the terms of artificial randomness, than it already is.

the issue is that i don't know if you can see RNG being anything other than a negative, whereas it's a positive in so many aspects of gameplay and game design.

RNG can be good both for direct player-to-player interaction and pve poo poo, it just needs to be done right.