Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Marx Headroom posted:

Vita hacking is pretty easy these days
https://vita.hacks.guide/

There's a big old homebrew frontend here if you're interested:
https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/

Edit: I should add that Vita emulation tops out at like, Sega Genesis and GBA. It really shines playing PSX/PSP/Vita games (although some people don't like how PSX uses a virtual layout for R2/L2 etc, you can remap the buttons natively on the fly at least) and there's a bunch of Android ports out there now. Plenty to love there if you ask me.

Hmmm. Maybe worth holding onto just for Vita emulation since the 35xx does great with PSX and I already have the RG505 which handles PSP great. Truth be told....I never really played many games on the thing.....and it's sat idley for like 4-5 years at least. Maybe I'll check out what the Vita has to offer. Can always sell it down the road.

Again....this was kind of a bonus find as I have been digging through my boxes of games in order to organize and pull out anything with rising value. I was about 75% sure that I had sold it years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's apparently the goat for JRPGs but if you don't like those it's kind of forgettable. I bought one around launch and only ever owned like 3 games for it, although FIFA was cool because you could aim your shots with the rear touchpad

Also they sell SD card converters now, which is nice because Sony gonna Sony and their memory sticks cost a hilarious amount

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 2, 2024

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

shyduck posted:

It's apparently the goat for JRPGs but if you don't like those it's kind of forgettable. I bought one around launch and only ever owned like 3 games for it, although FIFA was cool because you could aim your shots with the rear touchpad

Also they sell SD card converters now, which is nice because Sony gonna Sony and their memory sticks cost a hilarious amount

I'm not playing many JRPGs at all. Idk. Already ordered an SD2Vita. I'll custom firmware it up and see what if anything jumps out at me. At the very least.....there's a Vita exclusive Uncharted game that I'd definitely like to play.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am in the middle of moving to a home which housed an 80+ old lady, I found an Game Gear (with 2 rotten batteries inside) and an old school Gameboy hard carrying box. I am keeping it to store my retro consoles. I am also moving own "gaming" basket out of my garage and found my PSP in it. I only kept my modded PS2 and PSP and sold all my other consoles. Sold my vita long time ago.

edit, oh yeah I also found an old X360. Haven't tested it yet but since the equally old Casio e-piano works, I expect this 360 will boot up too.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 2, 2024

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The 360 is one of the few “retro” consoles I still keep not packed away lately since only my main pc can emulate it, and games are cheap.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Nickoten posted:

The 360 is one of the few “retro” consoles I still keep not packed away lately since only my main pc can emulate it, and games are cheap.

There's tremendous value with the 360/PS3 area. Since resolution hit 720/1080p.....I think a lot of games are going to be much easier for the typical person to pick up and start playing.....even though the graphics might not be up to snuff with current systems. I have probably around 20 or more PS3 games that I never played.....but picked up for dirt cheap at gamestop over the years. Eventually I'll try them out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I actively restored a 360 over the last week, it and a PS3 are extremely nice things to have around. Especially with how a modded PS3 can also play a decent chunk of the PS2 library though the official PS2 Classics emulator. That they’re both still pretty dirt cheap is also nice.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’ve been bummed lately that there is no way to play Xbox360 games on steam deck or the like and now I have a crazy idea…what if I just buy an xbox360? Not portable, obviously, but could be fun!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There is a working Linux port of Xenia now, so you can but its compatibility is very limited.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

njsykora posted:

There is a working Linux port of Xenia now, so you can but its compatibility is very limited.

Oh interesting, I will investigate this!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I mean, what is there that isn't also available on PS3 or PC? At some point you have to be happy with the 30,000 games you can play and stop worrying about the 20 or so that you can't

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I will never be happy. That is NOT the goal here.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
But I really want to play dragon age again! And fable.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

remigious posted:

But I really want to play dragon age again! And fable.

Both of these are on steam?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The good version of Ninja Gaiden 2 is worth at least ten games by itself

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Substandard posted:

I don’t want to play on my pc though. I want to sit on the couch.
Or wait… can I stream it from my pc to the steam deck? I’ve never tried that sort of thing before.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah, and some TVs and streaming boxes have steam link built in now

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

repiv posted:

yeah, and some TVs and streaming boxes have steam link built in now

Ok, I have one more probably dumb question: so if I stream a game from my pc to the steam deck, there is a way to switch to controller, umm, controls? As opposed to a mouse and keyboard like it would be on my pc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

remigious posted:

Ok, I have one more probably dumb question: so if I stream a game from my pc to the steam deck, there is a way to switch to controller, umm, controls? As opposed to a mouse and keyboard like it would be on my pc.

Assuming you are using a controller with your steamdeck it'll automatically switch inputs like it would if you were playing on PC.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

explosivo posted:

Assuming you are using a controller with your steamdeck it'll automatically switch inputs like it would if you were playing on PC.

Oh, neat! Thanks fellas

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just got my RG ARC-V today, is there a recommended setup or guide for it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Substandard posted:

Fable 2 never made it to PC at least and 3 is kind of a pain with it's gfwl crap

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

I mean, what is there that isn't also available on PS3 or PC? At some point you have to be happy with the 30,000 games you can play and stop worrying about the 20 or so that you can't

This is the big issue with the 360 specifically, a lot of its big exclusives have gotten remakes or remasters or got PC ports at the time. The PS3 at least still has a sizeable pile of exclusives that’ve never been brought forwards because of a Cell shaped issue with how they were made.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

many 360 exclusives also still work on the newer xboxes via back compat, often with resolution and framerate improvements

IIRC like a third of the library is backwards compatible

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

remigious posted:

For the first Dragon Age I don't think there is controller support in the PC version. Or at least there was not back when it came out. Maybe there is a mod or something? Inquisition supports controllers though and there is no reason to ever play Dragon Age 2.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 3, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

repiv posted:

many 360 exclusives also still work on the newer xboxes via back compat, often with resolution and framerate improvements

IIRC like a third of the library is backwards compatible

It’s iffy though, I’ve come across games in Xbox back compatibility that have a bunch of issues because emulation. Beyond Good and Evil especially is rotten with audio issues.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Dragon Age 2 is the one where all the female characters have bigger boobs because it was told by the unreliable narrator the little creasy dwarf guy.

I watched a youtube video recently that discussed how all the parties that invested in the cell engine in PS3 (Sony, Toshiba, IBM) ended up losing money in this venture and got out of the chip business afterward. Apple flirted with the idea of using Cell for Mac but wised up and called it off. Also some US military tried to make supercomputers with cell chips.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

Lost Odyssey b*tch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched a youtube video recently that discussed how all the parties that invested in the cell engine in PS3 (Sony, Toshiba, IBM) ended up losing money in this venture and got out of the chip business afterward. Apple flirted with the idea of using Cell for Mac but wised up and called it off. Also some US military tried to make supercomputers with cell chips.

Link?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Sorry I watch hundreds of youtube video everyday, plus it's in Chinese language.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sorry I watch hundreds of youtube video everyday,

:bighow:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You should play on one of your third party retro handhelds instead of watching one hundred youtubes a day

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

plus it's in Chinese language.

That's going to make it even harder to find :negative:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Can the RG Arc-D do video out over USB-C or do you need a mini HDMI cable? I tried connecting the USB hub I use for my Steam Deck up to the OTG port and connecting an HDMI cable to that but it didn't auto-detect the monitor I connected it to. I'm using the Android side with Daijisho installed because I've seen some folks in here complain that the included Linux build is "unusable".

Also, is there any good CFW for the device, or alternate Linux builds I could use, possibly with an autoboot into EmulationStation?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Commander Keene posted:

Can the RG Arc-D do video out over USB-C or do you need a mini HDMI cable?

Just tried this for you.
It does not.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

remigious posted:

I don’t want to play on my pc though. I want to sit on the couch.
Or wait… can I stream it from my pc to the steam deck? I’ve never tried that sort of thing before.

dragon age and fable are both listed on protondb as gold and playable on the deck directly, and reason you wanna stream it from your pc instead of play directly on the deck?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

EVGA Longoria posted:

dragon age and fable are both listed on protondb as gold and playable on the deck directly, and reason you wanna stream it from your pc instead of play directly on the deck?

Nope! I just had no idea they were playable on the deck.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

remigious posted:

Nope! I just had no idea they were playable on the deck.

Gotcha, there might be some benefits to streaming (better battery life on your deck and maybe a simpler setup of the games on Windows vs any manual proton that's needed for Linux), but it looks like they both should play fine locally if you prefer that option too. It's a great little device.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

EVGA Longoria posted:

Gotcha, there might be some benefits to streaming (better battery life on your deck and maybe a simpler setup of the games on Windows vs any manual proton that's needed for Linux), but it looks like they both should play fine locally if you prefer that option too. It's a great little device.

Some games on PC doesn't have controller support whatsoever, I came across such game after I brought it on steam (a Fortune Street knock off called "Richman"), I ended up finding the Switch version and play it on Odin Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anbernic is making an SP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9z4pP3QtBs

The embedded video won’t work but you can figure it out!