Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ASAPRockySituation posted:

There has to be a better system than this for rolling out limited inventory, one that isn’t vulnerable to bots so normal people can get cards.

Welcome to September 2020. EVGA is the only civilized retailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

There has to be a better system than this for rolling out limited inventory, one that isn’t vulnerable to bots so normal people can get cards.

Start a goon bot/scalping crew. Take over the entire luxury item scalping scene and make SA relevant again.

Or so what I did and drive to micro center on your lunch break :shrug:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Animal posted:

Welcome to September 2020. EVGA is the only civilized retailer.

They had 3070s from the Evga store on Amazon listed for $999.99 USD earlier today for a couple hours before they sold out :lol:

This one before it was sold out and now only available by other sellers: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-08G-P5-3755-KR-GeForce-Cooling-Backplate/dp/B08L8L71SM

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Romes128 posted:

I have the same PSU with a MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio that has 3 connectors and have had no issues. You'll be fine.

Thanks! Glad to hear it.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

If anyone is looking to replace the lovely Nvidia 12 pin adaptor and didn’t trust the one from Moddiy, CableMod has finally put their 12-pin > 2 8-pin modular cables up in their configurator under Custom PSU cables.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'd die of happiness if consoles force multi-GPU to be a thing again. Could make sense for backwards compatibility, having unoptimised games just run on the one GPU that they share with the lower model.

The 3090 nvlink results show that if it's actually coded for it's really excellent at this level of bandwidth, but that hinges on putting loads of effort in the first place hence why it's only in 11 games.

It's not gonna happen, but I'm enjoying the thought as the resident SLI idiot

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The last thing need is a reason for people to want 2 GPUs.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

It seems like the simple solution is vendors selling cards at market rates. As long as demand outstrips supply so much without price compensation, there will be shortages and arbitrage of some kind.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm fine with playing precious Cyberpunk on medium settings until I can get a card, I had a decent shot at getting a 3060/3070 but I think i'm being stubborn and just want the 3080 and am holding out. I had a 3090 in my Amazon cart but at 1628$ after tax I just couldn't bring myself to hit the checkout button.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Someone from reddit took one for the team and demonstrated why you should power a 3080 with separate cables:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I came here to post that :argh:

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

it dont matter posted:

Someone from reddit took one for the team and demonstrated why you should power a 3080 with separate cables:

What causes that to happen? The 3080's sudden power spikes or a lower quality psu?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can you even get a 3080 to turn on with power from only one PCI-E chain? Not that I'm willing to try.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Evga has that and you don't even have to give them 800 dollars. Just go sign up
I'm kind of laughing with my 10/6 sign-up date to see if I'll be notified when the next series of cards are announced. I know it's not a myth that people can get cards from the system but clearly it's not going very fast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Can you even get a 3080 to turn on with power from only one PCI-E chain? Not that I'm willing to try.

Yeah. Mines fine :shrug:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
How likely are Amazon to cancel orders at this point? My order that I placed last night is showing ‘Order received, we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date”. The page originally had a delivery date ranging from late December to early January, but it had disappeared by the time I was doing the final steps of my order after a couple page refreshes. From what I’ve gathered it seems like most of the fulfilled orders in the US are coming from Best Buy and Newegg.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Uh, same. And this is one of the Gigabyte OC models.

Some of these responses are starting to make me wonder, though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Space Racist posted:

How likely are Amazon to cancel orders at this point? My order that I placed last night is showing ‘Order received, we’ll email you when we have an estimated delivery date”. The page originally had a delivery date ranging from late December to early January, but it had disappeared by the time I was doing the final steps of my order after a couple page refreshes. From what I’ve gathered it seems like most of the fulfilled orders in the US are coming from Best Buy and Newegg.
You’re probably fine

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MarcusSA posted:

I'm also running mine from a single cable with 2x plugs. No issues, but I'm undervolting too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

What causes that to happen? The 3080's sudden power spikes or a lower quality psu?

What causes it is that's just too many amps to send over that little an amount of metal. The heat caused by the resistance of the metal melted the surrounding plastic.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

What causes it is that's just too many amps to send over that little an amount of metal. The heat caused by the resistance of the metal melted the surrounding plastic.

Yikes. Should I be using 2 vga cables on my 1080ti?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

exquisite tea posted:

You could turn one on with no pci-e power if they didnt detect it. It doesn't need a lot of power to idle.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Space Racist posted:

Amazon rarely cancels orders. You will get it when they get stock.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's only now a concern because of the 320 TDP for most of the 30XX line. You get about 75w from the board and ~275w per PSU cable, so there are presumably situations where the wattage could spike beyond the max power draw you'd get from just one PCI-E connector. The 1080ti and 20XX line topped out at 250W, which is more than enough for a single cable to cover.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

Amazon rarely cancels orders. You will get it when they get stock.

The only Amazon orders that got canceled were the "mistake" pre-orders that popped up for a few minutes a week or two before release--and even some of those got filled.

If you've got an order from Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon you will get the card. They're normally pretty good about estimated shipping dates, too, but those might be a bit less reliable than normal given the current situation. If it's fulfilled by some 3rd party, who knows.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

If your PSU has them, use them. Even if a single cable isn't heating up enough to melt the plastic, it is giving off extra waste heat across the cable and through the conductors due to resistance. Spreading the amps across more copper will always save you some watt loss over the wires.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

exquisite tea posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's only now a concern because of the 320 TDP for most of the 30XX line. You get about 75w from the board and ~275w per PSU cable, so there are presumably situations where the wattage could spike beyond the max power draw you'd get from just one PCI-E connector. The 1080ti and 20XX line topped out at 250W, which is more than enough for a single cable to cover.

You get 75W max from the board and 150W from an 8-pin cable. A 1080Ti has a TDP of 250W, so you should be using dual-cables for it. It could work off a single high-quality cable, but you're technically exceeding its spec.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
At the moment when available stock exceeds scalper ability to corner the market will their group experience a "left holding the bag" scenario?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

gary oldmans diary posted:

At the moment when available stock exceeds scalper ability to corner the market will their group experience a "left holding the bag" scenario?

Seems like there will be a lag time but I don't know quite how advanced some of these people are with their minute by minute market analysis. The supply of cards is totally hidden so if the dam bursts and say a bunch of 3060ti come out I think it'll temporarily raise pressure on the 3080.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DrDork posted:

The only Amazon orders that got canceled were the "mistake" pre-orders that popped up for a few minutes a week or two before release--and even some of those got filled.

If you've got an order from Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon you will get the card. They're normally pretty good about estimated shipping dates, too, but those might be a bit less reliable than normal given the current situation. If it's fulfilled by some 3rd party, who knows.

Amazon didn't even cancel most of the $150 $1500 soundbar + $4000 tv combos people on slickdeals got.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

exquisite tea posted:

I was running one cable for a while and I didn't even get lower benchmark scores vs now with two or anything.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

If your PSU has them, use them. Even if a single cable isn't heating up enough to melt the plastic, it is giving off extra waste heat across the cable and through the conductors due to resistance. Spreading the amps across more copper will always save you some watt loss over the wires.

Well, time to break out the black velcro ties because my fractal PSU has daisy chain psu cables. I was trying to avoid ugly hanging cables by going with one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

You get 75W max from the board and 150W from an 8-pin cable. A 1080Ti has a TDP of 250W, so you should be using dual-cables for it. It could work off a single high-quality cable, but you're technically exceeding its spec.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

DrDork posted:

Sweet - this is sold and shipped by Amazon proper, so now time to just play the waiting game for a few weeks. I really preferred to avoid Newegg if possible for better customer service in case something goes sideways.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

twxabfn posted:

Tried installing the 3060 Ti tonight and the driver won’t install fully. It gets about 1/6 of the way through, goes black for a second, then jumps straight to saying it completed, then keeps intermittently going black for a second and popping up a Windows alert that says “Force to reinstall graphics driver” and clicking that does nothing.

Update on this:

I was able to get the card working! It turns out that these cards don't much like it when the PCIe slot is set to (or has the possibility to be) Gen4. I have a Gigabyte Aorus Pro B450 mobo, and it had a BIOS on it from July 2019. When I went into the BIOS to attempt to set the slot to Gen3, I noticed that there were options for Gen1-4, and I had previously had it set to Auto.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and when I went back in to set the slot after the update, I noticed that there wasn't even a Gen4 option any more (I set it to Gen3 anyway just in case). Booted into safe mode, DDU'ed, swapped the 3060 Ti in, installed drivers, and bam, it's all good now.

Time Spy graphics score went from 5969 with the 1070 to 12345 with the 3060 Ti. Woohoo!!!

twxabfn fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 3, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's not the card. It's the mobo. B450 doesn't actually support PCI-E 4.0, even though there were some BIOS revisions that supported it. It would work fine in a real PCI-E 4.0 slot.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

K8.0 posted:

It's not the card. It's the mobo. B450 doesn't actually support PCI-E 4.0, even though there were some BIOS revisions that supported it. It would work fine in a real PCI-E 4.0 slot.

Yeah, you're right. It was the mismatch between the BIOS and what the mobo actually supports - just wanted to put that out there in case anybody else runs into the same issue.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BB has a gpu you can use for step up

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-s...p?skuId=6373500

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Why on earth they would manufacture a cable which supports 300W and the end result is melted connectors? What a piece of poo poo psu design. If the connection can take only 150W without melting then they should provide ony 1x8pin cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Got my email off Scan today and my place in the EVGA 3080 queue, after placing my order about 15 mins after it went on sale back in September, is 8th! The next shipment will be mine!

Its been a long wait but hey, at least I haven't had to press f5, not even once.