Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That game just has way too many bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Some days you just can't get rid of a bone!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of, I saw Cloudspire was running a new KS for some expansions. I looked up an overview video and it looks like a tower defense/moba style mashup /w Too Many Bones style chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUf8lBpbuyU

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the base game any good?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol no wonder I was getting similar vibes, it's by the same dev as Too Many Bones.

Should really look this poo poo up before posting :v:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

lol no wonder I was getting similar vibes, it's by the same dev as Too Many Bones.

Should really look this poo poo up before posting :v:

And the dev is ChipTheory at that, chip stacks and high production values are kinda their thing. I've been interested in Too Many Bones and Cloudspire as well, but I'm reluctant to part with that much money having never played either of them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah it's $205 + Shipping on KS just for the base game and I'm like.. mate..

5 days to go if other people are interested.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chiptheorygames/cloudspire-ankars-plunder-series-reprint

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Infinitum posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is the base game any good?

I played a few demo games of this at GenCon last year. It's a tower defense game where most of your dudes' actions are beyond your control, as you send waves of troops against opponents. There are upgrades and choices on what kind of troops to buy and whatnot, but it really just felt like a phone game that makes you keep track of all the minutiae yourself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reynold posted:

I played a few demo games of this at GenCon last year. It's a tower defense game where most of your dudes' actions are beyond your control, as you send waves of troops against opponents. There are upgrades and choices on what kind of troops to buy and whatnot, but it really just felt like a phone game that makes you keep track of all the minutiae yourself.

That's exactly how I felt about it when I looked at the 1st edition KS. Nice to have verification from someone who played it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
That also seems to be the opinion of SpaceBiff, my most trusted review source.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Speaking of MOBA board games: The - miniature and deck constructor MOBA game - Skytear had a very successful kickstarter and the game is now available for purchase. Team Covenant have been raving about it for a few weeks. It has a very high score on BGG (but still a fairly small sample size) and everything I've seen about it looks pretty darn great. The basics seems to be very streamlined and everything is very elegantly organised. Its miniatures are also sensibly sized (with sensibly proportioned women), a rare feat in kickstarter games it seems, and the entry price is only 70 bucks. It's free to play on both TTS and Tabletopia. What I've seen looks great, so I've already ordered a starter set and an expansion and hoping this game can get some traction, despite the unfortunate timing.

Check it out: https://www.playskytear.com/gameplay

Edit:
Some youtube hype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0n76DV92k

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Reynold posted:

I like it, but I bought it as a co op battle game more than as a competitive game and it's been fine that way. Paul Grogan did a two player playthrough here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJYrTlHbcw&t=24s

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So according to this Newsweek article US Vice President Pence who is supposed to be in charge of the federal response to the virus, the first phase of re-opening will include small groups of 10, and larger groups who can social distance. This would imply that board games might be able to be played in groups of less than 10. If your governor went with this recommendation, would you play board games in person?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

So according to this Newsweek article US Vice President Pence who is supposed to be in charge of the federal response to the virus, the first phase of re-opening will include small groups of 10, and larger groups who can social distance. This would imply that board games might be able to be played in groups of less than 10. If your governor went with this recommendation, would you play board games in person?

My answer is no, but I’m also a) immunosuppressed, and b) taking care of a parent with health issues.

The trouble with increasing the radius of my personal interactions sooner rather than later is that I cannot control who other people come in contact with, nor how vigilant they are.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Can we just not bring this discussion in here

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of we're currently playing the Coronavirus Pandemic on TTS, and everything is fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeedddddddddddd

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Can we just not bring this discussion in here

Also I think this is fair.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Geezus it wasn't meant to be a political thing in any way shape or form. It was meant to see if we as gamers were ready to game. That's it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I dunno, I think "when can we play boardgames again" is pretty germane to the thread.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dunno, I think "when can we play boardgames again" is pretty germane to the thread.

I thought so as well. I mentioned the names that I did because I don't like to assume that people who don't live in the US know who anyone is here. If others want to talk about their quarantine and what their country/state is doing so that (naturally among more important things) we can start playing board games again, I'm all ears.

Thanks for another point of view Mr. Squishy. What do you think? I really miss board gaming and TTS/Tabletopia just isn't doing it for me. I like to see people and while I know you can do that, there's no one in my game groups who'd want to bother.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Geezus it wasn't meant to be a political thing in any way shape or form. It was meant to see if we as gamers were ready to game. That's it.

Sure, but It doesn't matter if you meant to be a political thing. It just is. That's the world we live in. There are public officials who are currently dedicating their lives to figuring out when we can safely gather again. Either you believe them or you don't and your views on whether or not you should game are probably tied to those beliefs.

But is anyone really in this thread here to have their views on the safety of public gatherings changed one way or the other?

If you post about having a game night 2-3 weeks from now do you really want to open the door to people criticizing you for having done that even if you disagree with them about the inherent safety risks? E: Because I'm definitely interested in hearing about the game you played and how it went, but not what other people think about whether you should have done it in the first place.

I really don't want to see the thread about cool board games bogged down in that poo poo, but YMMV.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 18, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've no idea why you responded so negatively though. When can we gather back together is a really important question, and it kinda doesn't matter that it's a politically charged question, because it's important nevertheless.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

When can we meet in person again is a useful thing to talk about, but maybe take your guidance from a less catastrophically stupid administration.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

We didn't shy away talking about the politically charged tariffs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’ll have game nights again when the science and medical community consensus is that it’s safe.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I’ll have game nights again when the science and medical community consensus is that it’s safe.

Same. My guess is 4 to 6 months from now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The tl;dr is you shouldn't play with your friends until it is safe to do so. It's not safe to do so, it won't be for some time, and you shouldn't be doing it until it's stamped out. It's just.. the way it is, and the way it's going to be for a while. It sucks. It's sucky.

As mentioned earlier, I just finished playing Pandemic COVID with some mates on TTS. It is very very difficult, uses a fixed deck, there is nothing to cure, you're goal is to stem the tide as much as possible, and you're pretty much going to lose. You can get infected and then are stopped from entering cities, towards the end you can just be straight up denied entry unless you have a direct flight because borders are shut.

Like.. it's straight up masochistic, and took us a few hours to plan as effectively as we could and guess what?
We lost on the 2nd last goddamn card, while doing the last infect stage, when we had an Outbreak in London.

I mean look at this poo poo.

Bonus

(One of my friends is stuck in Vietnam, guess his name :v:)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

silvergoose posted:

I've no idea why you responded so negatively though. When can we gather back together is a really important question, and it kinda doesn't matter that it's a politically charged question, because it's important nevertheless.

Because this forum has an abysmal track record with political topics outside the political forum. Tariffs are a wonky niche subject that is mostly abstract to people's lives and it's easy to discuss, especially how it relates to the tiny world of board games. COVID safety beliefs are another thing entirely.

Aramoro posted:

When can we meet in person again is a useful thing to talk about, but maybe take your guidance from a less catastrophically stupid administration.

I agree with you but posts like this are exactly why I don't think we shouldn't have this discussion. Either it's going to be an anti-trump circle jerk or someone's going to choose to die on this hill and its probably not going to be civil or informative for anyone involved. I don't like the administration either, but I also really don't want to come in here and see multiple pages about COVID BELIEFS.

I'm not going to drag the discussion out any longer because I don't want it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't want to talk about it here. Others might, have at it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So sure, I can out of the blue claim that it could be ok if we played together again. I could do that. What do you think would happen? People would rightfully ask where did I get my information from. So I sourced it as I always do. For myself, unsure. I'm certainly not going to meetups and I'm not going to cons or anything like that. However I am (once there's enough testing which all of this is based on) probably going to meet up with a couple of friends wearing masks, using hand sanitizers and making sure no food is passed around. Again, noting that the epidemiologists are saying the same thing. No multi person outside of the household gathering until there is enough testing. At the end of April/mid May they expect to have enough testing. Once they have enough testing they can then determine (they meaning scientists, not political figures) how much distancing and how many people make sense.

I'm the daughter of a Phd chemist, I'm not crazy. I'm also good friends with a doctor who is in constant touch with what's going on behind the scenes. My own doctor has approved a 4 player gathering with masks and hand sanitizer and no food passed around.

There's no need to discuss the political source of the information I posted. That article also included information and estimates from experts in the field.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Because this forum has an abysmal track record with political topics outside the political forum. Tariffs are a wonky niche subject that is mostly abstract to people's lives and it's easy to discuss, especially how it relates to the tiny world of board games. COVID safety beliefs are another thing entirely.

I agree with you but posts like this are exactly why I don't think we shouldn't have this discussion. Either it's going to be an anti-trump circle jerk or someone's going to choose to die on this hill and its probably not going to be civil or informative for anyone involved. I don't like the administration either, but I also really don't want to come in here and see multiple pages about COVID BELIEFS.

I'm not going to drag the discussion out any longer because I don't want it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't want to talk about it here. Others might, have at it.

The facts have nothing to do with the political figures. We are gamers, we know the facts. That article contains information from scientific experts giving their scientific opinion. There's no need to go down the political path. I mentioned it because that's who lead the discussion.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's also a fairly meaningless discussion as it's different for every country anyway. We're not all yanks so a discussion about what they're doing is meaningless here.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I'm the daughter of a Phd chemist, I'm not crazy. I'm also good friends with a doctor who is in constant touch with what's going on behind the scenes. My own doctor has approved a 4 player gathering with masks and hand sanitizer and no food passed around.

Oh my bad, I didn't realise you were related to clever people and know some other clever people. Carry on.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Agreed and apolitical.

Mayveena's post in this thread a while back helped me be more OK with scaling things down sooner rather than later, despite being in an area with no cases at the time. edit: apparently I'm crazy, it must have been somebody else somewhere else...

How often do people here use the online features of digital boardgames (before the pandemic)? Spirit Island devs said it was generally used by 10-15% of people. I'd say less than 10% of my games get used that way, and before the pandemic it was even less. Now I'm more willing to play Dominion, TtA, etc with strangers and also more likely to play with friends.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 18, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As a general rule though guys please keep it chill, as if you are not aware I am an IK of Games and read this thread regularly.
It's a stressful time for everybody and I totally 100% get the longing everybody has for wanting to get back together with your mates and play all the boardgames we're all chomping at the bits to play. (Like I bought my best mate Marvel Champions just before this poo poo went into turbo drive and I've been dying to play it)

Just don't be dicks, keep the discussion civil, and I won't hand out 6ers.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Pax Renaissance has a 2nd edition upgrade that's on Kickstaer now with a week left. In the past year I got both Pamir and Porfiriana and enjoyed them both. Is Renaissance worth owning in addition to these two?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Keep in mind that if you have good local contact tracing and testing, if there are still local transmissions in your area mixing in small groups will increase both your risk of infection and your risk of being quarantined as a contact. Small group gatherings outside the home, especially with shared object contact, are always going to be a risk so long as local transmissions are ongoing. Hand sanitizer and masks will not eliminate that risk completely (AND the shared space would need to be completely sanitized).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stickman posted:

Keep in mind that if you have good local contact tracing and testing, if there are still local transmissions in your area mixing in small groups will increase both your risk of infection and your risk of being quarantined as a contact. Small group gatherings outside the home, especially with shared object contact, are always going to be a risk so long as local transmissions are ongoing. Hand sanitizer and masks will not eliminate that risk completely (AND the shared space would need to be completely sanitized).

If there's still local transmissions where I live they won't be allowed. They are not currently being allowed and that won't be reevaluated until there's enough testing. I'm not doing anything against the law, just trying to find out where other people are at, because not everywhere is southern California.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mayveena posted:

If there's still local transmissions where I live they won't be allowed. They are not currently being allowed and that won't be reevaluated until there's enough testing. I'm not doing anything against the law, just trying to find out where other people are at, because not everywhere is southern California.

Yeah, it's just something for people to personally keep in mind. In an ideal world the best advice would be "follow local guidance", but local guidance is currently of extremely variable quality :(

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Pax Renaissance has a 2nd edition upgrade that's on Kickstaer now with a week left. In the past year I got both Pamir and Porfiriana and enjoyed them both. Is Renaissance worth owning in addition to these two?

In my opinion it's the best of the three. Totally worth it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The digital version of spirit island is out and I fully now realize how bad I am at the game. Any tips for winning? Its the most brutally hard board game I've ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I'd certainly say so. In terms of complexity it strikes a nice medium between those two games, which is my sweet spot. The funny thing about the KS, though, is that SMG lists a delivery date of October 2020 when they still haven't picked out a manufacturer.