Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

People get so taken in by the surface level military flair they don't notice he's poo poo at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Voyager had a few episodes of quaint Irish village poo poo. I'm from Northern Ireland but even at that they are fuuuuucking abominable.

Season 2 also suffered from the 1988 writers strike, so I believe some scripts from Star Trek Phase 2 were reworked slightly.

Tell us what you think of Where Silence Has Lease!

The one with the evil cloud alien that wanted to experiment on the crew? It was... fine.

Just started season 3 now and oh hey, it's Kelso from Scrubs!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Was the episode where the devil shows up to that planet one of the recycled scripts because it always felt like a TOS episode in TNG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Was the episode where the devil shows up to that planet one of the recycled scripts because it always felt like a TOS episode in TNG.

Yes!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The P'agh Wraith?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Season 2 Episode 4 and Neelix has went insane that Tom Paris told Kes See You Later and she said Sure. His relationship with Kes is loving psycho

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, somebody posted the original character concept a while back and it was pretty bad, I think he was described as acting like a "jealous father" toward Kes :barf:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, somebody posted the original character concept a while back and it was pretty bad, I think he was described as acting like a "jealous father" toward Kes :barf:

More like a jealous daddy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine granting Neelix authority over your foodservices.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wasn't the poison cheese episode pretty early on?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I suspect neelix was put in the kitchen as a punishment for the rest of the crew and the captain forgot to take him off that duty after whatever point she was making was made

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

alexandriao posted:

ds9 e164: If Gene was alive we would have got to see Kira have hot goo sex

Behr and Berman were both loving cowards :colbert:

Imagine Odo becoming waves and waves of cum

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

He turned into a cloud in S7 and Kira acted as if it was orgasmic....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

McSpanky posted:

DS9 would never get off the ground if Gene was there for it because he'd keep suggesting various Zeus-like escapades for Odo.

"OK, so check this - Lwaxana is on the station, makin' everyone horny af because she's got like... betazoid menopause or something. Doesn't matter. She gets stuck in an elevator with Odo and he has to become a swan..."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I vaguely recall a line or two from the space Irish episode speaking to a deeper plot but the surface was so absurd and the caricatures didn’t help. Mainly remember the hot lass and Riker being Riker.

It would have blended right in the first half dozen or so episodes from S1 but definitely stood out in S2

See, the fun part is once you get past the comic relief Irish stereotypes you get highlights like:

- Riker and Pulaski being cloned without their consent.
- Riker and Pulaski then promptly phasering the gently caress out of their in-development clones with little to no discussion of the ethical ramifications beyond "hey gently caress you for trying to clone us without consent!"
- The episode ending with Picard smirking about how the stuffy clone-obsessed aesexuals are just gonna have to learn to bone down with the Irish sterotypes, teehee. :barf:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

See, the fun part is once you get past the comic relief Irish stereotypes you get highlights like:

- Riker and Pulaski then promptly phasering the gently caress out of their in-development clones with little to no discussion of the ethical ramifications beyond "hey gently caress you for trying to clone us without consent!"
- The episode ending with Picard smirking about how the stuffy clone-obsessed aesexuals are just gonna have to learn to bone down with the Irish sterotypes, teehee. :barf:

O'brien living 30 years of brutal prison

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

DS9 would never get off the ground if Gene was there for it because he'd keep suggesting various Zeus-like escapades for Odo.

"OK, so check this - Lwaxana is on the station, makin' everyone horny af because she's got like... betazoid menopause or something. Doesn't matter. She gets stuck in an elevator with Odo and he has to become a swan..."

Is it bestiality if it's a changeling? These are the hard-hitting questions that only DS9 is courageous enough to ask

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Haha I threw my hands up in shock when Riker saw the clone and just vaporized them without even batting an eye. Like holy moly dude not even a thought on the ethics of the issue just blasted those bitches

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Haha I threw my hands up in shock when Riker saw the clone and just vaporized them without even batting an eye. Like holy moly dude not even a thought on the ethics of the issue just blasted those bitches

Given what happened with his transporter clone he was right.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'd like to see the cut of the Tom Riker episode where Will sees him, and has to immediately be restrained from grabbing his phaser and vaporizing him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gutcruncher posted:

I suspect neelix was put in the kitchen as a punishment for the rest of the crew and the captain forgot to take him off that duty after whatever point she was making was made

Actually the kitchen was supposed to be the captains private dining hall, he just moved in there without permission and when Janeway was like what are you doing in here he said "Is kind of hosed up for the captain to have a private dining hall when the crew are all rationing don't you think?" and strong armed her into letting him make it a galley. Actually pretty based.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Is it bestiality if it's a changeling? These are the hard-hitting questions that only DS9 is courageous enough to ask

I checked the rules. Nope. Anything goes if it's with a changeling.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Actually the kitchen was supposed to be the captains private dining hall, he just moved in there without permission and when Janeway was like what are you doing in here he said "Is kind of hosed up for the captain to have a private dining hall when the crew are all rationing don't you think?" and strong armed her into letting him make it a galley. Actually pretty based.

We do not, in fact, have to "hand it" to the alien pedophile

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I watched the first season of SNW and my gosh I fell in love with the Captain's ski chalet and his dinner parties. Also the mess hall. The whole ship is stunningly gorgeous.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

McSpanky posted:

DS9 and Baldur's Gate 3, really.

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

Give me an episode or 2 as examples.

an episode told entirely from a non-human perspective would be fun (ds9 did a couple of these) where it’s shown how say vulcans see the human captain stereotype of loud charismatic leader as a kind of useful idiot who takes the heat off them while they actually run things from the background

the same way humans see Vulcans as weirdly serious nerds who are good at science

off topic but I read somewhere that when house cats feel they are the dominant one they lick/groom others, but with rabbits the dominant one is the one that gets groomed, and for that reason cats and rabbits as pets can get along really well because they both feel like they are getting the better deal out of the relationship

I’d like to watch humans and vulcans lick each other is what I’m saying

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's already an extensive canon of literature covering that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

There's already an extensive canon of literature covering that.

Link please

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

an episode told entirely from a non-human perspective would be fun (ds9 did a couple of these) where it’s shown how say vulcans see the human captain stereotype of loud charismatic leader as a kind of useful idiot who takes the heat off them while they actually run things from the background

the same way humans see Vulcans as weirdly serious nerds who are good at science

off topic but I read somewhere that when house cats feel they are the dominant one they lick/groom others, but with rabbits the dominant one is the one that gets groomed, and for that reason cats and rabbits as pets can get along really well because they both feel like they are getting the better deal out of the relationship

I’d like to watch humans and vulcans lick each other is what I’m saying

Relatedly, one of my favorite DS9 episodes is when that Vulcan captain of an all Vulcan ship shows up and challenges Sisko to a baseball game.

And absolutely smokes DS9.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda wish we'd gotten a point of view from one of the Vulcan underlings rapidly losing faith in their captain's objectivity.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That captain was obviously a Romulan spy

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Link please

It's called Star Trek Enterprise, it's a four season long TV show

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

The first episode is them first even learning about Klingons. And like, they knew they were needing more ships, but you can also get more coverage by having faster ships. Warp speed isn't linear.

Warp 3 is only about 27c, which means it takes 2 months just to get to Alpha Centauri, our nearest stellar neighbor. The boomers are going like warp 2, which is significantly slower sure, but that means a warp 3 naval ship has to have cruise durations of years as well, since they'll have to go back and forth. And they can't really respond to anything. Focusing on Warp 5 means125c speeds, so it's like 5 times faster.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Starfleet circa Enterprise isn't the organization it is by TOS. It's functionally a NASA Space Program (Enterprise is even referred to multiple times as a Mission). Having two Warp 2/3 (I think) ships flying the Solar System for defense is an achievement for them, and the Enterprise is their first real definitive "Starfleet Starship" that all others are going to be designed from to get out of the Solar System and put Earth on the galactic map.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh yeah I completely forgot. Neelix really did have his moments

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

Relatedly, one of my favorite DS9 episodes is when that Vulcan captain of an all Vulcan ship shows up and challenges Sisko to a baseball game.

And absolutely smokes DS9.

The runner was out as soon as he left the basepath and Odo has all the grace of a teenaged umpire who is paid by the hour.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Also I'm pretttttttttttttttttttttttty sure it's in the rulebook that you can't just delete all the fans at-will (or at least it probably should be)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

an episode told entirely from a non-human perspective would be fun (ds9 did a couple of these)

That Voyager where the aliens have a myth about the Warship Voyager ruining their civilization.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that Starfleet circa Enterprise isn't the organization it is by TOS. It's functionally a NASA Space Program (Enterprise is even referred to multiple times as a Mission). Having two Warp 2/3 (I think) ships flying the Solar System for defense is an achievement for them, and the Enterprise is their first real definitive "Starfleet Starship" that all others are going to be designed from to get out of the Solar System and put Earth on the galactic map.

I always figured it was more of an Enterprise than a Mission

:dadjoke:

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I liked how in Discovery Michael Burnham went from a shared, minimalist dorm room to giant 70’s Vulcan sex room with it’s own private holodeck when she became captain

Also computer cores that will try to consume organic matter if you touch it

GROUNDBREAKING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GolfHole posted:

Also I'm pretttttttttttttttttttttttty sure it's in the rulebook that you can't just delete all the fans at-will (or at least it probably should be)

It’s rare but umpires have thrown fans out before. There was a semi-famous one during the pandemic where the home plate umpire threw out an owner or someone who was yelling from their luxury box. Don’t know if it can be for any reason though, or at least not for more than that game before you find yourself not umpiring any more.