Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, sorting out station poo poo was Kira's domain in the end and she had a pre-existing encounter with Odo where he refused to rat her out to Dukat as being a resistance member. Him having covered for the resistance was probably the clinching factor in him being left alone.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

It's this, The Art Of Star Trek, 1997. It's great!

Lots of cool concept art

Thank you! Looking forward to studying Space Hooker™ design. :awesomelon:

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

alexandriao posted:

Oh thank gently caress someone finally ganked Gowron
Not just anyone, it was Worf, right? Which, imo, draws some parallels to a high-profile politician getting stabbed by an angry incel with a roman bust profile pic.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Worf with the zip gun in the ready room

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
odo always going after 'the real criminal' wouldn't placate anyone because the laws he was following were inherently unjust. so, the real criminal would usually still be a bajoran who would then be subject to draconian punishment. he's still the guy who arrested bajorans on behalf of their oppressors. but well, it's tv so sometimes you have to relax and enjoy the fantasy world where impossible creatures like the fabled good cop exist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

odo always going after 'the real criminal' wouldn't placate anyone because the laws he was following were inherently unjust. so, the real criminal would usually still be a bajoran who would then be subject to draconian punishment. he's still the guy who arrested bajorans on behalf of their oppressors. but well, it's tv so sometimes you have to relax and enjoy the fantasy world where impossible creatures like the fabled good cop exist.

To be fair, It's still probably a difference of "we have caught the guy responsible" and "We couldn't identify the perp, so we're executing a shitload of innocent workers as An Example".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, It's still probably a difference of "we have caught the guy responsible" and "We couldn't identify the perp, so we're executing a shitload of innocent workers as An Example".

that would only make odo happy, because he's still arresting bajorans who committed trivial crimes who suffer disproportionate punishment. oh, this starving worker stole some food from a replicator and was executed, but it's okay because odo found the right guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would only make odo happy, because he's still arresting bajorans who committed trivial crimes who suffer disproportionate punishment. oh, this starving worker stole some food from a replicator and was executed, but it's okay because odo found the right guy.

Arresting the right person still means everyone isn't living in constant fear of being the poor bastard who caught a guard's eye when they're deciding who gets picked as the perpetrator.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Arresting the right person still means everyone isn't living in constant fear of being the poor bastard who caught a guard's eye when they're deciding who gets picked as the perpetrator.

Is that why Odo was doing it though? If no one else was going to be punished would Odo still felt perfectly fine collaborating?

Pretty sure the answer is yes on that one. I mean of course that doesn't change how he's viewed but like I think he's ethical decision making was shown enough to show he clearly that law and order meant far more than people to him. I think he may of gotten slightly better about this in the later seasons. but not by much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

InappropriateJazz posted:

Not just anyone, it was Worf, right? Which, imo, draws some parallels to a high-profile politician getting stabbed by an angry incel with a roman bust profile pic.

If I were Klingon I'd be more worried about how one of the contender to the chancellors got killed by the Federation's pet Klingon and then said guy's boss put Gowron in charge and then Worf offed Gowron when he got inconvenient to the Federation and installed someone else

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Odo is highly problematic.

Now Quark, there's a man with a clean conscience.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

You're telling me that Odo's dossier said that he was appointed by Gul Dukat and both the Bajorans and the Federation signed off on him? The guy has dirt on someone for sure.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Is that why Odo was doing it though? If no one else was going to be punished would Odo still felt perfectly fine collaborating?

I don't think anyone cared why he did it. Just that he did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure the answer is yes on that one. I mean of course that doesn't change how he's viewed but like I think he's ethical decision making was shown enough to show he clearly that law and order meant far more than people to him. I think he may of gotten slightly better about this in the later seasons. but not by much.

They had a whole episode about how he hosed up an investigation and got three innocent people killed during the Occupation and it ate at him for years until he finally snapped and pulled a runabout full of people into an ad hoc link to relive the trauma. Red Forman was in it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

They had a whole episode about how he hosed up an investigation and got three innocent people killed during the Occupation and it ate at him for years until he finally snapped and pulled a runabout full of people into an ad hoc link to relive the trauma. Red Forman was in it.

Beat me to it lol

But yeah, even in-show they make it clear that Odo's actual track record wasn't as squeaky-clean as his reputation suggested

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

You're telling me that Odo's dossier said that he was appointed by Gul Dukat and both the Bajorans and the Federation signed off on him? The guy has dirt on someone for sure.

Imagine keeping a Changeling as head of Security during war against the Changelings. Who have proven over and over how sneaky and tricksy they can be.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Imagine keeping a Changeling as head of Security during war against the Changelings. Who have proven over and over how sneaky and tricksy they can be.

Yeah, let's use this Eddington guy instead, he seems on the up-and-up

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, let's use this Eddington guy instead, he seems on the up-and-up

He reads classic literature! Surely he can be trusted.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also, that rear end in a top hat Changeling Odo befriended who killed a Klingon on the Promenade. Swept under the rug.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Beat me to it lol

But yeah, even in-show they make it clear that Odo's actual track record wasn't as squeaky-clean as his reputation suggested

Changelings are more concerned with order than justice so it's really no wonder that Odo operated so well within the Cardassian system

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watching season 3 of TNG right now, and "Yesterday's Enterprise" / "The Offspring" / "Sins of the Father" is an all-time great sequence of episodes

I love how "Sins of the Father" establishes that Worf cares about Klingon honor way more than most other Klingons

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't forget the episode where ODO was convinced the wife murdered that guy and then at the end Kira was like " LOL nope I murdered the gently caress out of that collaborater"

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Don't forget the episode where ODO was convinced the wife murdered that guy and then at the end Kira was like " LOL nope I murdered the gently caress out of that collaborater"

Yeah, that episode and the Odo episode mentioned earlier are great bookends. They even end with similar scenes, where one of them wonders whether they can look at the other the same way again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They should have focused more on Kiras insane back story of being a terrorist.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hollismason posted:

They should have focused more on Kiras insane back story of being a terrorist.

Excuse me, that's freedom fighter.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God I loved Kira. Such a badass. That said, she should never have served on the Defiant in any official capacity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked all the episodes where people from Kiras past show up and then she's like " Whoops yea we.killed some folks"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I liked all the episodes where people from Kiras past show up and then she's like " Whoops yea we.killed some a lot of folks loving spoonheads, good riddance *spits*"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I liked all the episodes where people from Kiras past show up and then she's like " Whoops yea we.killed some folks"

lol in season 7 when she's leading the Cardassian resistance movement and that one guy is constantly like "whoa now, that's a bridge too far!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd blow up a Cardassian transport for her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Twice a season, Kira gets a thousand-yard stare and flashes back to something horrible she did 20 years ago.

The crew has discovered a huge explosive hidden in a cargo bay

Dax: A payload of this magnitude could kill thousands!

Kira staring at the ceiling, remembering the time she build a bomb like this to do Bajoran 9/11: 6,481 to be exact

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

The crew has discovered a huge explosive hidden in a cargo bay

Dax: A payload of this magnitude could kill thousands!

Kira, laughing: 'Ah, yeah, fond memories.'

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have obtained "The Jacket" by the way. And coupled with my TNG Captain shirt I am ready for a Comic Con!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

Odo is highly problematic.

Now Quark, there's a man with a clean conscience.

Day what you will about the tenets of the Rules of Acquisition, but at least it's an ethos.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I wish DS9 went on for a few more years because I wanna see what would happen to Kira’s character in episodes produced after 9/11

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

redshirt posted:

God I loved Kira. Such a badass. That said, she should never have served on the Defiant in any official capacity.

They were going to have that as a plot point in the Valiant episode, where she would have been the one accompanying Nog, with the tension being that she knew that the Red Squad cadets were nuts and going to get themselves killed, but had no official authority over them.

Until the writers realised she wouldn't have put up with their bullshit and just phasered the senior cadets and bullied the rest into giving her control of the ship. So instead it became Jake/Nog.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CaptainSkinny posted:

Yes. But it was completely in character for Gul Dukat to appoint someone he thought the Bajorans would like only to get angry that they didn't suddenly stop all resistance activity and bow down and thank him for his generosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tigey posted:

They were going to have that as a plot point in the Valiant episode, where she would have been the one accompanying Nog, with the tension being that she knew that the Red Squad cadets were nuts and going to get themselves killed, but had no official authority over them.

Until the writers realised she wouldn't have put up with their bullshit and just phasered the senior cadets and bullied the rest into giving her control of the ship. So instead it became Jake/Nog.

The "A changeling is loose on Defiant and it's hunting people" episode but it's Kira on the Valiant would have rocked