Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

If my 250 is anything to go by, you might just be happy with that one for a while. Plus you don't have to fuss with carbs.

it is a big step down in power from my VFR750 but also a big step down in weight. Honestly the VFR was more power than I needed for how I ride anyway. I also don't have to worry as much about cracking unobtanium fairings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
This story kinda sums up why my fifth bike is an older gen 250. I think the backstory is his Hyabusa broke down and a stranger lent him their 250.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?1145-700-Miles-on-a-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-A-motorcyclist-s-review

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is the exact story I read a few years back that turned the ex250 from a bike I thought was ugly and boring, to one of my dream bikes. Really, I wish I had gotten this instead of an SV back in the day. Reading it again was enjoyable, thank you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like I'm really missing out now because every 250 I've ridden was either an impractical, intractable 4 cylinder screamer or a lumpen agricultural single. Hyoshit is a twin but it's sluggish and far too big and heavy so it doesn't count.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

250's own, why people think they don't is beyond me

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

250's own, why people think they don't is beyond me

It's the same kind of thinking as "there's no substitute for cubic inches" some car jackoffs subscribe to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is nothing wrong with them for certain purposes... some just prefer something that will wheelie out of corners without even thinking about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Besides, the only proper 250's look like this:

And pull the skin off your face.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I want both of those very very badly.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

darth cookie posted:

I want both of those very very badly.

So loving bad. :swoon:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sofullofhate posted:

So loving bad. :swoon:

It wasn't until relatively recently that they reformed the learner motorcycle scheme in Australia.

It used to be the rule that you couldn't ride anything bigger than 250cc as a learner until you got your full licence. Which was fine if a little awkward for the tall or flabby... until you factored in those insane crotch rockets. It was nuts. Also ridiculously dangerous.

Fortunately they reformed it to ban those mad 250's and based it on a power to weight formula with a maximum capacity of 660 cc. Much more sensible (though I bought a 250 ninja as a first bike since it was still the nicest option at the time.)

Wouldn't mind riding one of those now though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
they are fun to ride the poo poo out of. WOT constantly. I get 35 mpg on my 250.b

That said i love my 600 standard. 100 hp standard with a 250-300 backup is the key poo poo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I feel like I'm really missing out now because every 250 I've ridden was either an impractical, intractable 4 cylinder screamer or a lumpen agricultural single. Hyoshit is a twin but it's sluggish and far too big and heavy so it doesn't count.

Here's a 250 for you:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/.html

E: on the other hand, here is some much neglected love:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/5181196015.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

darth cookie posted:

It wasn't until relatively recently that they reformed the learner motorcycle scheme in Australia.

It used to be the rule that you couldn't ride anything bigger than 250cc as a learner until you got your full licence. Which was fine if a little awkward for the tall or flabby... until you factored in those insane crotch rockets. It was nuts. Also ridiculously dangerous.

Fortunately they reformed it to ban those mad 250's and based it on a power to weight formula with a maximum capacity of 660 cc. Much more sensible (though I bought a 250 ninja as a first bike since it was still the nicest option at the time.)

Wouldn't mind riding one of those now though.

The RGV performs as advertised but has a laughably poorly designed engine that has a habit of eating it's own valves.

The honda is somewhat worse in every way (honda) but much more reliable and sensibly built (honda).

Got no experience with TZR's or whatever the kawasaki equivalent is because they're much, much rarer. The pick of the bunch for me would definitely be a VJ22 RGV with the USD's and the banana swingarm, or an SSA NSR just for the looks.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Here's a 250 for you:
-page not found-

:negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

The RGV performs as advertised but has a laughably poorly designed engine that has a habit of eating it's own valves.

:negative:

Oh yeah, non stop valve problems on those two strokes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:supaburn:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes:

I don't know if it's vibration, or carbon build-up, but they're very weak and have a habit of breaking into bits and dropping into the bore. I've seen both RGV's and RS250 aprilias (same engine) do this, the only solution if you plan on tracking the bike, or even if you're just doing a major rebuild, is to get 'unbreakable' valves which are like $200 a pair or something ridiculous like that.

Honda's vastly superior design (best picture I could find because they never break so nobody uploads that poo poo):

Rotating block on a shaft well down the exhaust port with no chance of dropping in by loving gravity if it somehow goes wrong. Educate yourself before being a smartass.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Holy loving poo poo.
I was expecting some sperging about reeds but not that.

That seems like one of those things that seems undeniably useful on paper... but Lucas Electric IRL

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

My new bike. Quite a difference to my old ER5.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Letmebefrank posted:

My new bike. Quite a difference to my old ER5.

That is one of the best condition (and best looking) CB1000's I've ever seen.
If you can, lose the giant can and plate mount. It looks a thousand times better without them.
:cheers:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy loving poo poo.
I was expecting some sperging about reeds but not that.

That seems like one of those things that seems undeniably useful on paper... but Lucas Electric IRL

They work extremely well in non-Suzuki form, they effectively delay the exhaust port opening and make it smaller which, through 2T voodoo, brings back some of the 'missing' bottom end torque caused by having a really aggressive expansion chamber design. All of the race rep 250's have it in some form.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Yes:

I don't know if it's vibration, or carbon build-up, but they're very weak and have a habit of breaking into bits and dropping into the bore. I've seen both RGV's and RS250 aprilias (same engine) do this, the only solution if you plan on tracking the bike, or even if you're just doing a major rebuild, is to get 'unbreakable' valves which are like $200 a pair or something ridiculous like that.

Honda's vastly superior design (best picture I could find because they never break so nobody uploads that poo poo):

Rotating block on a shaft well down the exhaust port with no chance of dropping in by loving gravity if it somehow goes wrong. Educate yourself before being a smartass.

I was loving with you bro, they're called powervalves to avoid that sort of confusion. Thanks for the Wikipedia dump tho.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

They work extremely well in non-Suzuki form, they effectively delay the exhaust port opening and make it smaller which, through 2T voodoo, brings back some of the 'missing' bottom end torque caused by having a really aggressive expansion chamber design. All of the race rep 250's have it in some form.

125s too. The Aprilia ones (present on both the Rotax-engined 125s and the Suzuki-engined 250s) are more like a guillotine blade that fails safe but don't provide as good an effect because they increase turbulence. If all you care about is getting as much power as possible over as wide a range as possible the Suzuki design makes sense (it does also allow more peak power because the blade-type valves partially obstruct flow even when open)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was loving with you bro, they're called powervalves to avoid that sort of confusion. Thanks for the Wikipedia dump tho.

Yeah there's no way you were just being a thoughtless dickhead or anything.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

125s too. The Aprilia ones (present on both the Rotax-engined 125s and the Suzuki-engined 250s) are more like a guillotine blade that fails safe but don't provide as good an effect because they increase turbulence. If all you care about is getting as much power as possible over as wide a range as possible the Suzuki design makes sense (it does also allow more peak power because the blade-type valves partially obstruct flow even when open)

The 250 ones are identical to the Suzuki system (I know this from direct experience) and sticking unbreakable RGV items in there is a common mod, as are RGV barrels for reasons I can't recall (probably cost). They most assuredly don't fail safe :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Next time I will put more thought into my words about two stroke exhaust valve systems, and will take your internet feelings into consideration my sincerest apologies

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The 250 ones are identical to the Suzuki system (I know this from direct experience) and sticking unbreakable RGV items in there is a common mod, as are RGV barrels for reasons I can't recall (probably cost). They most assuredly don't fail safe :)

The Neras definitely had blade-style ones - I *think* the Nera coincided with Suzuki winding back production of the engine and Rotax taking over spares production so that probably explains the difference.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Neras definitely had blade-style ones - I *think* the Nera coincided with Suzuki winding back production of the engine and Rotax taking over spares production so that probably explains the difference.

Possibly, Aprillers aren't exactly common here (except for the mille which are EVERYWHERE) and I've never seen a nera, let alone worked on one. I've always wanted an RS250 but they don't seem worth the added headache (not to mention cost!) over a VJ22, and they look uglier. The asymmetric forks are, apparently, a huge pain the crotch to deal with too, whereas the RGV has some plain jane meat-and-potatoes forks which can easily be modified to a decent standard.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

500mi down on the turd. ohhh its fun to kick around.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Your suit doesn't match your bike. Time to go shopping.

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

It's been a bit wet and windy out the past couple days, but it finally got nice enough for a long ride:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mikeyio posted:

It's been a bit wet and windy out the past couple days, but it finally got nice enough for a long ride:

How's the suspension travel in the rear? It looks just as low as my Shadow and that poo poo is awful. Was eyeing up the Scout as potential upgrade, but feel really conflicted now. And congrats, it's a gorgeous bike. Best color too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Man I can't believe it but there's a cruiser I like the look of.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mikeyio posted:

This thing is pretty sweet. How's it ride?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like it's trying to compete directly with the Bolt and the new Shadow

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Digital_Jesus posted:

Your suit doesn't match your bike. Time to go shopping.

Next summer dude, Next summer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That was exactly what I thought when I first saw one.

They have decent power, even!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's nuts it's taken this long for people to remember cruisers can be something other than black and chrome.

(I still believe that black is the best motorbike colour but one of the points of cruiser culture is supposed to be being different from the herd, surely)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Black is always good, noone criticises them for black. Cruisers get criticised for chrome, deliberate (and now utterly false) anachronistic design and just being Really Crap At Everything.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

notZaar posted:

Looks like it's trying to compete directly with the Bolt and the new Shadow

I have the sneaking suspicion you have no idea who Indian is or where they were started.

the brand is American and older than Harley and had numerous racing and land speed records with the original Scouts between 1920 and the mid 60's. They don't care at all about Japanese brands, they're aiming straight for Harley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Well the name is older than Harley. The company hasn't existed since the 1960s. Polaris just bought the rights to the name. Or maybe they didn't have to buy it because it's so old it's public property by now.