Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

MrZig posted:

Just thought I'd let everyone know that my Subaru is in it's natural environment as of today.

That looks a lot alike my morning, except mine was sliding sideways into a wheat field after hitting some black ice. Drove it out, she's a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

MrZig posted:

Just thought I'd let everyone know that my Subaru is in it's natural environment as of today.

awesome. I put it here.

Drove on the snow today with summer tires. I'd rather not do it too often.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 19, 2011

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

jamal posted:

awesome. I put it here.

Drove on the snow today with summer tires. I'd rather not do it too often.

That link doesn't take me anywhere, just redirects to facebook homepage.

And yeah I wouldn't recommend summer tires in the snow. I can't wait for a couple weeks from now when I enter the Big White rally-cross with the snowpreza. Last year I came 4th out of 27 or so cars in my FWD MX-3. I beat 20 subarus. I shall win it this year.

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm
I'm about due to change my Legacy's rear diff fluid for the first time. The drain and fill plugs seem to be rather recessed inside the skid guard, especially the drain plug. I imagine the fluid is going to flow all over the inside of the skid guard and make quite the mess when I try to drain it. Any tips on evacuating the old and making in with the new, preferably without making a driveway mess?

Poor baby was a Colorado/Michigan car before it became a Californian, and it shows...

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

NuclearFusi0n posted:

I'm about due to change my Legacy's rear diff fluid for the first time. The drain and fill plugs seem to be rather recessed inside the skid guard, especially the drain plug. I imagine the fluid is going to flow all over the inside of the skid guard and make quite the mess when I try to drain it. Any tips on evacuating the old and making in with the new, preferably without making a driveway mess?

Poor baby was a Colorado/Michigan car before it became a Californian, and it shows...

Remove the skid guard.

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm

Amandyke posted:

Remove the skid guard.
Urgh, look at those fasteners. :gonk: I wonder why the heck they cut access holes in the skid plate if I have to drop it for servicing anyways. Oh well, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PadreScout posted:

I haven't seen the ultimate subaru before, I poked around some this morning and seems like a good resource, a lot, a /lot/ of GLs listed, which was reassuring.

I'm in west Texas which is pretty much why this purchase is turning into such a hassle, any subaru within about 500 miles is either a raced out WRX or .... doesn't exist(Texans seem to prefer huge stupid trucks).

Anyhoo, yeah- hopefully I can find something good.

edit: gently caress it, how's this one look- all I can see against its a rear hatch dent and the fact it's an 85. http://www.everycarlisted.com/az/cottonwood/subaru/gl/vin-jf2an53b4fe459657

Since it doesn't really list any data or pictures, it's hard to say...
85 would be carbed though, that's about all I can gain from the ad.
It does list the VIN, I think you can figure out the transmission from that, there's a subaru VIN decoder out there somewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Annnnnd after three days hunting through the various tools kits and cursing the fact every single one was missing a 12mm double hex 3/8 drive..... found one, cracked the block open and found..

1) No 1 big end bearing hammered to half it's original thickness. Expected and already guessed

2) Every single other big end bearing freshly scored and worn plenty. Yeah, no surprise

3) I've manged to blow a lawn mower engine and a second lawn motor has serious fuelling issues

4) The crank is scored on three out of four cylinders, badly damaged on no 1. doubt a regrind is going to fix that

5) Turns out is doesnt matter anyway, found the reason why the engine seized on it's death and why it was difficult even when the block was split to turn. Having a look over the crank, I looked over the counterbalance weights and noted that by eye the counter balance sides on no1 seemed to be closer together. Got out a guage, measured 22mm for 2, 3 and 4, 21 for 1. Ahhhhhhh, so not an illusion and signalled the the crank is also bent, so it's a throwaway

Engine destruction rated 4/10, block appears reusable, crank bent gains a point. 8/10 would be block torn in half and held together by the heads.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Im serious, If you kill my mower Im going to sick Mum onto you!

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

I have an '08 Legacy that i have bent/damaged two of the stock rims. Am I better off getting 4 new aftermarket rims, or two replacement OEM rims?
I know the OEM rims are fairly plain looking but I like them that way.
OEM replacement looks like it will be $250 - $350 each, while a set of four aftermarket rims can be had for just as much if not barely more.
Is there some place I should be able to find OEM replacements for cheaper?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Alpine Mustache posted:

I have an '08 Legacy that i have bent/damaged two of the stock rims. Am I better off getting 4 new aftermarket rims, or two replacement OEM rims?
I know the OEM rims are fairly plain looking but I like them that way.
OEM replacement looks like it will be $250 - $350 each, while a set of four aftermarket rims can be had for just as much if not barely more.
Is there some place I should be able to find OEM replacements for cheaper?

LegacyGT.com
NASIOC

Check the classifieds. You could probably pick up a full set for the price of two new OEMs.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
It snowed here last night. It was fun until I hit a chunk of ice on the road and this happened:

I haven't even owned the car for two months yet. :smith:

On the bright side, I'm signed up for a TSD in two weeks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I wonder if subaru changed their bumper plastic.
Mine is indestructible compared to like VWs and Audis, which seemed to shatter.

Welcome to subarus (The MN subaru people are kind of a weird bunch, which can be good and bad.)

nm fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 21, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The front bumper on 08+ cars seems to be total poo poo - not just the bumper cover material but also the clips and front fender liners. When they first came out they were all over rallyx but they've gradually dropped down to the point where the only 08+ Impreza running is a 2.5i with a salvage title.

That said I've seen an ice chunk rip a similar hole in an '07 front bumper, so I don't think it's an '08 thing necessarily. When it's really drat cold + you take an impact, every plastic bumper shatters.

edit: kudos on the plate

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The front bumper on 08+ cars seems to be total poo poo - not just the bumper cover material but also the clips and front fender liners. When they first came out they were all over rallyx but they've gradually dropped down to the point where the only 08+ Impreza running is a 2.5i with a salvage title.

That said I've seen an ice chunk rip a similar hole in an '07 front bumper, so I don't think it's an '08 thing necessarily. When it's really drat cold + you take an impact, every plastic bumper shatters.

edit: kudos on the plate

Maybe it is just a legacy thing.
On the ice in <0F I've run into solid walls of snow that have destroyed other bumpers only to come out and be fully intact.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a different kind of impact; hitting an ice ball is a much more directed chunk of force than impacting a snow drift (think getting shot with a bullet vs hitting a mattress).

I've seen a lot of cars here that take a parking-lot speed ding in the bumper plastic, it deforms and the paint cracks and trim/aero pieces shatter from the torsion. I'm talking -25'C or worse though. My Outback Sport has a few cracked paint places all over both of its bumpers from what appear to be that class of impact.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Subaru has started cutting corners in the thickness of its bumper material, considering what they did to "lighten" the fender liners and side skirts.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 21, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

True, but what impressed me about the legacy bumper is that it stays flexible at very low temps (I was living in Minneapolis then) when other bumpers become rigid and brittle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I've seen a similar thing with late-90s Outback bumpers. They just seem tougher in that regard.

I know the Outback Sport's bumper is actually FRP and not plastic, but I would imagine that's the case for most bumpers these days. I wonder if there's some way we can find insurance statistics to figure out which car has cheaper/fewer bumper repairs per capita? I know I have to replace my 06 bumper cover because the clips have worn out on it.

On a different topic: I just spent upwards of two hours smacking a rubber mallet against my driver side front wheel on the '97 to try and crack it free. You wouldn't think an aluminum wheel could rust so firmly to a steel hub.

Can you add grease or something to the hub face to keep it from adhering again if I ever get this wheel off and replaced?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

People use anti-seize on that face between hub and wheel (but be careful it doesn't get on the lugnuts).
I've never done it because I swap wheels pretty often so they never had a chance to seize.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Me too (at least twice a year). This is this car's first time having its wheels removed (since at least four years ago, as far as I can tell from records). Hopefully once that's taken care of, I can just expect it to work from now on.

Both the wheels on the drivers' side are a bitch to remove. The back one came off after 10 minutes of hammering and the front one still refuses to come off. Both of them are missing their centre caps, which I'm sure didn't help.

I tried loosening the lugs, spraying Liquid Wrench in the lug holes, and doing brake slams at low speed with ABS disabled but all that did is presumably anger the city roads department next year. I'll probably just get it up on a hoist and nail it from the inside of the wheel instead of trying to just hit the hub.

e: vvv I got a hell of a deal on Tire Rack this year for studded Altimax Arctics and picked up in Sweetgrass to save on shipping. I'm sure it'd be even cheaper for a little further into the state.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 21, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
put the lugs on loosely and drive around in circles? no not really, but you could probably use the weight of the car to get them off.

yeah I usually put a little anti-seize on the hub and rotor when I have that stuff apart.

and gently caress I need to buy snow tires.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jamal posted:

and gently caress I need to buy snow tires.
Have you ever lived where it snows with a subaru before this?
Go find a frozen lake (in January, not now obviously). It is basically the best thing ever.
(Also, Nokian Hakkas, unstudded unless you live in the country or want to change wheels regularly. Studded tire suck on clear pavement. They are not the cheap option though.)
Also, if they have salt, if you have coilovers, grease the crap out of the threads before winter.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
You guys with your winter shenanigans talk make me jealous.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

I make myself jealous.
Until I remember subaru rust proofing is crap.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Amandyke posted:

In the name of safety.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I really miss driving in the snow, but it's also nice to have an 18 year old car without a single speck of rust on it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

goatse guy posted:

It snowed here last night. It was fun until I hit a chunk of ice on the road and this happened:

The 3rd gens bumper cover is made of tissue paper. I have driven my 02 into all sorts of poo poo and it just has some scratches. A guy in the local club hit a porcupine in his 3rd gen and blew the whole front of his loving car apart.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

goatse guy posted:

I saw this photo on NASIOC last night, poster did the exact same thing as you - hit a piece of snow. Bumper was cracked in the exact same spot, exact same way. only difference is his car was white. Must be a common thing.

MrZig posted:

In the name of safety.

Would you people stop posting pics of you driving in the snow? By now, we usually have some snow, but have NOTHING as of yet. It's barely cracked freezing. And I bought my STI a few months ago.

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 21, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Snow isn't really sticking on our roads yet so you have to go into parking lots to get it here. I'm a little jealous of the cities that get mondo lake-effect snow which piles up to the door handles because it's impossible not to look awesome driving around in that.

Here's a promo video for Dick Hannah Subaru that ended up in my RSS feed yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9TGZrsdnjE

And just to make sure that we haven't gone all high dollar in this thread, a $50 Impreza with dirt bike studs screwed into the tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSq0noxdLA

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

nm posted:

I wonder if subaru changed their bumper plastic.
Mine is indestructible compared to like VWs and Audis, which seemed to shatter.

Welcome to subarus (The MN subaru people are kind of a weird bunch, which can be good and bad.)

My impression of MNSubaru people so far are that they're far too fickle to even choose a meeting spot for get-togethers. They all complain about having to drive across the Twin Cities to meet up. Imagine that, a car club bitching about driving!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

goatse guy posted:

They all complain about having to drive across the Twin Cities to meet up. Imagine that, a car club bitching about driving!
Ours do it too - I go to wings meets on occasion when the place is easy to get to and has plenty of parking, but almost nobody ever shows up when I'm there, complaining it's too far south (I live in the north end of the city!)

In the summer, the exact same people arrange six hundred km round trip "cruises" along the highway. Beats the hell out of me.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 21, 2011

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nm posted:

People use anti-seize on that face between hub and wheel (but be careful it doesn't get on the lugnuts).
I've never done it because I swap wheels pretty often so they never had a chance to seize.

I use white lithium grease spray. Some of the local shops do it and seems to work absolutely fantastic.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
After an oil change on my 2004 Forester, I was told it will need a headgasket in 6 months to a year at a cost of like 2200. I have like 120K on it...is this normal? I feel like I was just violated.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Exceptionally common on that generation of 2.5 motors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That sounds about right, but I'd get a second opinion. I thought they had the headgasket issue pretty much cleaned up by 2004?

Is $2200 for both head gaskets? I've seen cars where only one has been replaced.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Speaking of EJ25s and headgaskets...

I'm trying to figure out where the hell all my oil is going. It's losing about 1QT/500mi which seems like a hell of a lot to me but it doesn't show up anywhere. It's not on the ground, it's not in the coolant, and it's not coming out of the tailpipe. Are there any places in the engine bay that oil could pool if it were leaking and not fall to the ground?

It runs and drives fine with no issues but the oil loss is worrying. It currently has 164k miles and all the maintenance has been kept up on. The only other problem is that it sounds like a diesel for ~30 seconds on a cold start but I'm pretty sure that it's just piston slap, been like that since 100k, and there's no point in getting worked up about that on an EJ25.

Headgaskets were done and the heads were cleaned and re-machined at 95k, the only serious work that's ever been done to it. Never actually popped the headgasket but being a 1st-gen EJ25 it seemed prudent not to wait for the inevitable.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not a mechanic but I just encountered oil loss through this engine at the spark plug gaskets. The oil pushes through and pools around the base of the plug wires. I suppose it could migrate from there too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

goatse guy posted:

My impression of MNSubaru people so far are that they're far too fickle to even choose a meeting spot for get-togethers. They all complain about having to drive across the Twin Cities to meet up. Imagine that, a car club bitching about driving!

They used to meet on uni every week, even in the winter. Weird.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That sounds about right, but I'd get a second opinion. I thought they had the headgasket issue pretty much cleaned up by 2004?

Is $2200 for both head gaskets? I've seen cars where only one has been replaced.
I think the common logic is that if you're going to do it, you should get them both done.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 21, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not a mechanic but I just encountered oil loss through this engine at the spark plug gaskets. The oil pushes through and pools around the base of the plug wires. I suppose it could migrate from there too.

I am not sure about on Subarus specfically but this is a very common problem for COPs having cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Lord Gaga posted:

I am not sure about on Subarus specfically but this is a very common problem for COPs having cars.

Not a COP car, and the spark plug holes are dry anyways. I've dug around the engine bay with a flash light and while it is extremely dirty nothing was wet with oil. It would probably be much easier to find if the engine bay were cleaner. Not really that confident spraying water/steam around the engine bay though, seems like a 1-way ticket to electrical hell.