Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The busa and the ZX-14 both have ridiculous fairings and enormous pipes because that's what Japanese customers think a musclebike has to look like, because animes

It's the same reason for dual exhausts on 4-cylinder "hot" hatchbacks in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I really can't see how they're ugly. Maybe some of the older ones with the flattened out fairings but I'd ride a 2011 in white everyday. I mean I like ex500s and bonnevilles as much as the next guy but I can't see riding this thing and having people stop and go "Jesus Christ look at that sooo ugly!!!"

All the while I'd be cruising on a nice comfy sport-touring bike without feeling like I settled for something practical and compromising.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Busas look like the motorcycle equivalent of Synthol abusers. Fake, fat, pointless lumps everywhere.

Also, why does that guy have a dressed mannequin in his yard?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

They're not pointless they're wind tunneled bro.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
What happens if you take a Busa offroading?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Do you guys have any idea what a '85 honda xl250r would sell for? One that's probably a 7.5/10 condition wise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You all realize the busa is so ugly because the whole thing was designed in a windtunnel, right?

It's basically function over form.

But yeah it is ugly. The b-king is the cool looking busa

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Gnaghi posted:

I really can't see how they're ugly. Maybe some of the older ones with the flattened out fairings but I'd ride a 2011 in white everyday. I mean I like ex500s and bonnevilles as much as the next guy but I can't see riding this thing and having people stop and go "Jesus Christ look at that sooo ugly!!!"

All the while I'd be cruising on a nice comfy sport-touring bike without feeling like I settled for something practical and compromising.

drat I really like the way that one looks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Said Yoshirua, "I wanted to create a masculine form that complements a rider's muscular structure with hints of developed bicep, forearm and calves."

:gay:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm waiting for the day the hyperbikes to blow up in a gross fashion.

TETSUOOO!!!!!!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm p sure all sportbikes have been designed in a windtunnel for years and years, at least as soon as they started getting aggressive with ram air. The Hayabusa basic shape is wider / longer than a literbike for high-speed straight-line stability but that doesn't explain the styling cues at all. The 'busa looks like it does and not just like an oversized GSXR-1000 because (like nsaP said) it's supposed to look 'muscular' and because if they made it like a big GSXR-thou it would look like a big GSXR-thou and not, well, a boooosa. Making it all sharp and angular would go over as well as the V-Rod did for Harley.

I personally like the ZX-14 (even if it has those silly strakes on the side and enormous pipes - same reasoning from the designers, "Japanese musclebikers expect this stuff") and the K1300R better for looks, and Suzuki styling's never really done it for me. But the Busa looks fine to me as long as it doesn't have a two-foot stretched chromed swingarm, dropped forks, 50 pound chrome wheels and lightzz all over it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know I'm in the minority, but I really think the b-king was the busa done right.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I really think the b-king was the busa done right.

I agree with this. I get so excited every time I see one in the wild.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ziploc posted:

Hyabusas are so loving ugly. Like god drat.

They are not. It's just like dogs. They try to imitate their owner. Most Harley dogs are way worse, but they can all be tamed.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

I personally like the ZX-14 (even if it has those silly strakes on the side and enormous pipes - same reasoning from the designers, "Japanese musclebikers expect this stuff") and the K1300R better for looks, and Suzuki styling's never really done it for me. But the Busa looks fine to me as long as it doesn't have a two-foot stretched chromed swingarm, dropped forks, 50 pound chrome wheels and lightzz all over it

I can't really get behind the zx-14 cause of the giant upper cowl. Even on my 636 it looks like this big round head on the front of the bike. The busa and the gixxers with the single light setup look sharper and pointy, which IMO looks the part (narrow and sleek). I think the side fairings could lose some skin though, kinda like what LRG did with that clear wheel busa.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Ziploc posted:

They look like really really fat jelly beans. And they constantly look like they are trying to eat their front wheel.

I can't un-see this now. I think I used to see a big marshmallow that had been in the microwave for a few seconds and started to melt a bit.

invision posted:

Actually, I'm a big fan of the Higherboosa. One of my buddies went 240mph on his STOCK boosa. I think it has like five hundred horsepower, stock. Is this your bike? Oh yeah, I rode one of these once... my buddy had this same exact Honda Ducati before he got the higherboosa. What? Uhm, dude, it's a Honda. It's red. I can't believe you don't know this about your own bike! What's dooketty? Oh, yeah, my bad. Anyways, how fast have you been on it? I bet you can do some pretty cool wheelies huh... Say man, can I ride it? Just around the block? What? Yeah, that's my truck too. Oh. Wait! DICKHEAD!
Please keep this up. Thank you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Yup. Agreed.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I really think the Yamaha V-max was the Hayabusa done almost right.

I agree.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hayabusa - Melted inbred mutant jelly bean of a bike.
B-King - Awesome fantasy rocket bike I might have drawn when I was 12.

Both are silly, but only one would I consider owning.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Busas look like someone put lumpy diarrhea into a wind tunnel

I would totally ride one though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone owned / ridden a Z1000 long term? I'm looking for some impressions on the thing over going with a naked GSXR1k or something.
Track days / long distance touring / canyons

A guy I've met a few times is selling his 03 for a ridiculous price but it makes me curious about them.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/2761845060.html

Also, planning a long ride this summer before going back to school. Is it true that Utah/Idaho/Montana/Central Canada would be more of a scenic ride than entering Cali around the Mexico border and taking a route up to Washington and back down? My dad is really pushing that I see Alaska but I think it may be too much for right now.

My other option, and kinda less preferred in a way, is going over to Asia. I get round trip tickets to Bangkok once a year through a deal my dad has with his company... He suggested I fly out and ride through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and China. I just don't know about the logistics, but it would seriously be cheap as dirt to do. Gas is kind of expensive, but housing and food are basically close to free. I'd be going alone since I don't have any friends in to this kinda poo poo so it'd suck balls to have something go wrong in BFE, China. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 29, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

My other option, and kinda less preferred in a way, is going over to Asia. I get round trip tickets to Bangkok once a year through a deal my dad has with his company... He suggested I fly out and ride through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and China. I just don't know about the logistics, but it would seriously be cheap as dirt to do. Gas is kind of expensive, but housing and food are basically close to free. I'd be going alone since I don't have any friends in to this kinda poo poo so it'd suck balls to have something go wrong in BFE, China. :lol:

I've ridden around Thailand and Vietnam (2 week Saigon to Hanoi top gear style ride) and its really fun. Its also dirt cheap to rent the bikes. Scooters were about 5-6$ a day in Thailand, a 250-600cc cruiser or standard style bike was around 20-30/day. In Vietnam we rented Minsks for ~10/day. You might have issues trying to take the bikes accross borders though. Im not sure what it entails at the border as you don't actually own the bike, but many of the rental places want to hold your passport. At worst you could ride around each country, drop the bike where you rented it and bus over to the next destination. Gas isn't a major consideration because pretty much all of the bikes in SE Asia you're likely to hire are 125cc or under and get close to 100mpg anyway.

edit - about scenery. There is some amazing scenic highways in Vietnam. Highway 14 is the one to take, its a twisty mountain road, built a few years go (or more recently?, it looked brand new when I was there a couple years ago). Thailand also has some beautiful riding up near Chiang Mai. A lot of SE is kind of dirty, ugly built up urban areas though, especially around the major cities where you have this kind of agricultural sprawl that extends hundreds of miles around the city. That isn't much fun to ride through. After a while you get enough of the traffic as well.

If it was up to me I'd go up to Alaska though, that sounds really really awesome.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 29, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I actually just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand on the 1st. Spent some time on Ko Phi Phi (stayed at Zeavola), Phuket, BKK (stayed at Terminal 21), Chon Buri, Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Lampang, and just barely inside Laos.

I know in Phuket with loltourist prices it was about $20 a day on a CB400 and $35ish for an R1, but when I got up into northern Thailand with all of the badass roads I couldn't really find rental stuff other than scooters or dual sports.

I guess some more research is in order, my dad seems to think China shouldn't be too difficult to get into as long as I don't tell them I'm going to Lhasa or similar places.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKBCQ4ZrLXU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

That's pretty badass.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why do they have to use every drat song the media associates with the Vietnam War...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

I actually just got back from 3 weeks in Thailand on the 1st. Spent some time on Ko Phi Phi (stayed at Zeavola), Phuket, BKK (stayed at Terminal 21), Chon Buri, Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Lampang, and just barely inside Laos.

I know in Phuket with loltourist prices it was about $20 a day on a CB400 and $35ish for an R1, but when I got up into northern Thailand with all of the badass roads I couldn't really find rental stuff other than scooters or dual sports.

I guess some more research is in order, my dad seems to think China shouldn't be too difficult to get into as long as I don't tell them I'm going to Lhasa or similar places.

I've been thinking of doing the Thailand/Vietnam bike tour thing as well (hooray for new airlines and cheap fares!), when would be the best time of year to go though, weather wise? Not particularly keen on spending the entire time stuck riding through monsoons.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I had an '03 Z from new until I traded it in for the '12 Speed Triple. Disclaimer: it was my first bike. I loved the poo poo out of it, though. The tank is short so the bike feels small. The stock seat sucks, especially after 8 years outside. Highway riding over 90MPH will wear you out from the buffetting. The bars buzz like mad around 5k if you don't fill them with shot. Turn-in can be heavy but a180-series tire will help. Brakes and suspension are bargain bin but at least as good as an SV650, and upgrades are cheap/easy. The induction / exhaust sound is addictive. I didn't take mine to the track. People will either think it's drop dead gorgeous or the ugliest thing ever. Icy hot stuntaz will ruin the steering bearings landing wheelies, be sure to check.

The bike you're looking at isn't black but it's got all the big issues sorted already. No clue what the mods are worth but it's not a popular model, so they go cheap.

E: a naked gsxr conversion is going to be much wilder. Not really sure about your bud's mods but a 2003 GSXR has like 60 more HP stock. And way higher gearing, higher pegs, etc.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 30, 2012

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

That was really cool. I want to go there pretty badly, almost did two years ago, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I've been thinking of doing the Thailand/Vietnam bike tour thing as well (hooray for new airlines and cheap fares!), when would be the best time of year to go though, weather wise? Not particularly keen on spending the entire time stuck riding through monsoons.

The time I went was like the perfect time of the year - December. Yes, heavy tourism traffic and all of the Thais celebrating christmas / new years but the weather is great. I think it rained once while we were there and the temperatures were like mid 70's with low-ish humidity. It's dry season there now and it is totally loving brutal from what I've heard from my dad.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone owned / ridden a Z1000 long term? I'm looking for some impressions on the thing over going with a naked GSXR1k or something.
Track days / long distance touring / canyons

There's no question that a sporty standard bike like a Z1000 or even an SV650 will be the more versatile choice if you're trying to balance activites like trackdays, twisties, and touring. I see plenty of standards at trackdays (mostly SVs) that can kick plenty of rear end and still offer a comfortable ride home. Even the stock suspension on most of these bikes is fine as long as you get springs for your weight - plenty of of guys race SVs with stock suspension that is minorly tuned from the couple of club races I've seen.

I've ridden my dad's 2010 Z1000 plenty but that's probably substantially different than the older models.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like the SV but I'm coming from 15k miles on a 2009 ZX6R (120whp), I'd really rather not step down power wise. There is a 2006 SV available for me to buy whenever I'd want but it seriously feels like a 600 that has an 8k rev limiter. A 1000 is ridiculous overkill but when I start doing more track days I can, and will, easily get rid of it for another 600. GSXR750s are holding value and hard to find.

Was originally thinking an 06+ R6 but they aren't cheap because of the whole track awesomeness thing, might as well pick up something else in the mean time for less money.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 31, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
120? Is it supercharged?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wut. It dyno'd 108whp stock.

edit: Yes, the 09 ZX6R made 10whp more than the 600RR stock for stock. What do you think a current 600 makes?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 31, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I like the SV but I'm coming from 15k miles on a 2009 ZX6R (120whp), I'd really rather not step down power wise. There is a 2006 SV available for me to buy whenever I'd want but it seriously feels like a 600 that has an 8k rev limiter. A 1000 is ridiculous overkill but when I start doing more track days I can, and will, easily get rid of it for another 600. GSXR750s are holding value and hard to find.

Was originally thinking an 06+ R6 but they aren't cheap because of the whole track awesomeness thing, might as well pick up something else in the mean time for less money.

Your ZX6R makes like 105WHP but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, the wife had a Z1000 as her primary bike for awhile, and I put a few thousand on it. They're good bikes, solid engines, early (03? 04?) models occasionally had issues with the frames cracking due to the lack of a gusseting plate on the headstock. Consult google and you'll find some threads covering it. Besides that, I think everything else has been covered.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My bike with a PCV, full exhaust, and BMC filter made less than stock?
:psyduck:
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/v/main/reviews/2009-kawasaki-zx-6r-review-street-test/2009_Kawasaki_ZX6R_Dyno_Chart.jpg.html

Either way, googling the frame cracking on the Z1000 makes it seem like it happens right next to the weld and looks hard to see. How common was this issue?

edit: Newer gen but...
http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z1000-problems-issues/119024-z1000mk3-broken-frame.html
Wow.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 31, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

My bike with a PCV, full exhaust, and BMC filter made less than stock?
:psyduck:
http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/v/main/reviews/2009-kawasaki-zx-6r-review-street-test/2009_Kawasaki_ZX6R_Dyno_Chart.jpg.html

Either way, googling the frame cracking on the Z1000 makes it seem like it happens right next to the weld and looks hard to see. How common was this issue?

edit: Newer gen but...
http://www.z1000forum.com/forum/z1000-problems-issues/119024-z1000mk3-broken-frame.html
Wow.

Ahh I thought you had a stock bike. Dyno numbers are just a pissing contest anyways, you see more than 10hp variance between dynos.

Anyways -

Cracks me up to see all those guys harping on the automated welders as the cause of the frames cracking. If you slam the front of a bike into something, poo poo's gonna crack. Fact of life when the weld is that far back and the front end is acting like a huge lever. If you don't want your frame to snap, don't run into poo poo, problem solved. :v:

But yes, the earlier model bikes are a lot of fun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Z1000s get those headstock cracks because of people wheelie-ing them big and bringing them down hard. If the PO seems like the sort of chap to do this then the bike may have them. If not it's probably fine.

E: the linked forum thread I'm p sure is about cracks in the newer bike aluminum frames and won't be in the same spot as the older steel framed models

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

If it cracks along a weld can it be rewelded? Cause getting a frame for a 2011 bike would suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would imagine that as soon as it cracks with weight on it, especially if it cracks at speed, it also twists.

Which would also necessitate a jig to straighten it.