Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.

Dubious posted:

Can't wait to see how much a shitshow VT access will be with a 90 day window

This is what I was wondering as well, and even more so in Velious with ToV and eventually the sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Are they really going to instance every single raid in PoP? If you get technical about it, that expansion had ~55 raids in it.

That will take up all the time they have, they won't dedicate anything to Live. Like that would be much of a difference anyway.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Danksauce posted:

This is what I was wondering as well, and even more so in Velious with ToV and eventually the sleeper.

Velious will have everything of note instanced probably. The only 'open world' bosses that are the only thing in their zone are Wuoshi, Kelorek'Dar, and the ring war. You can instance Western Wastes for all of the dragon talismans + the two first brood. I wouldn't be surprised if the instance list is:
* Icewell Keep
* Kael
* Plane of Growth
* Sleeper's Tomb
* Skyshrine
* Western Wastes
* Dragon Necropolis (iffy, Zlandicar's the only thing in there really. Vaniki is single groupable.)
* Temple of Veeshan - West
* Temple of Veeshan - East
* Temple of Veeshan - North

Luclin though...have fun killing the Emperor when a guild locks down the temple to prevent keys from being farmed if they keep their current method of preventing trash named spawning in instances. For VT, all they have to do is sit on a total of 6 mobs that spawn and sell Lucid Shards for 10 kronos each.

Also have fun never getting to Seru if they don't instance the Praesertums, and if they do, lol @ that with the exponential horse drops for bags of plat.

edit:

Node posted:

Are they really going to instance every single raid in PoP? If you get technical about it, that expansion had ~55 raids in it.

That will take up all the time they have, they won't dedicate anything to Live. Like that would be much of a difference anyway.

They obviously didn't do much more than a hack job with instancing classic anyways. Stuff double spawning, the zone out for Nagafen used to put you under the world in Lavastorm, and Yael didn't even spawn in his instance. They can hack job it and see what hilarity comes out of it in about a day I bet!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just reinstalled and literally can't remember how to play, help.

96SK and 86SHM on Test.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

These new(ish) AA buffs they gave melee and hybrids, called Innates I guess? Are they as massive a buff as it seems? SK's is +170% at max level, seems like it should be huge.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

Botnit posted:

These new(ish) AA buffs they gave melee and hybrids, called Innates I guess? Are they as massive a buff as it seems? SK's is +170% at max level, seems like it should be huge.

I had a blast on Fippy, and just found out about Phiny this week. I was wondering about that luclin/pop era stuff that was around in the classics on the last round of TLPs.

SK HT instakills were an issue on fippy, you had guilds full of SK alts that would just instaburn mobs with 32khp. Also the newbie armor quests kind of broke a lot of the existing content.

Looks like that stuff is still in on Phiny?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They fixed the SK HT issue, and newbie quests were taken out of the game I believe.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah my HT is ridiculously sad and none of the low level armor quests exist. I've been killing it making sets of Darkforge for babby and twink SKs

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Most quests are classic but a few snuck in. You can still make the upgraded gnoll slayer and a 15/40 (25/40 against gnolls) magic weapon isn't too shabby for an offhand in classic.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Stanos posted:

Most quests are classic but a few snuck in. You can still make the upgraded gnoll slayer and a 15/40 (25/40 against gnolls) magic weapon isn't too shabby for an offhand in classic.

I've never really deep dove into patch changes until now, good thing the game has some defined strings such as:

ID: 7004
You have entered an invalid name of Beans or Cornbread.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008
Yeah I did end up making a character last night and was pretty happy to see it's kind of rough just starting out. It's completely different from when I started on Fippy (with the armor quests and stuff). I mained a CLR there with an RAF RNG box, which was actually a pretty good combo. From doing a little bit of reading during the downtime it seems the CLR pop is way high on Phin so went with RNG.

Seems that there's plenty of people still leveling at all levels so anyone else looking to come back too shouldn't have much of a problem finding groups.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

How harsh is the exp rate on Phinigel compared to Project1999? If I'm going to be abused I'd prefer it be for free.

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

a real jerk posted:

How harsh is the exp rate on Phinigel compared to Project1999? If I'm going to be abused I'd prefer it be for free.

It's the other way around; P99 is "classic holy poo poo I forgot vidja games could be this slow".
Phinigel is a slightly more modern interpretation, with convenience features, instances and the likes. You will fly up on Phinigel, you could hit 50 before Kunark no problem.

It took me like a year to hit level 59 on P99, and then I realized the raid scene is atrocious, so I hosed off. Phinigel is fun and will continue to be fun, because even if it is somewhat stale towards the end of this cycle, I know the next expansion is just around the corner. Also, the expansions are good all the way through LDON as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the P99 staff are horrendous shitlords and nobody wants to play petitionquest in the year of our lord 2016. On Phinigel there is like zero staff involvement, and I think it's probably for the best.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

You will fly up on Phinigel, you could hit 50 before Kunark no problem.

This so is ridiculously incorrect I actually did chuckle out loud. This is coming from someone with with two level 50's, and a 3rd here soon.

Do not expect to level fast, especially if you are not a caster and do not have a group.

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.

Shodai posted:

This so is ridiculously incorrect I actually did chuckle out loud. This is coming from someone with with two level 50's, and a 3rd here soon.

Do not expect to level fast, especially if you are not a caster and do not have a group.

I think a realistic timeframe for 1-50 while investing some time but not poopsocking is probably a month or so because that's how long its going to take me, and that is playing a few hours a day with some more or less depending on the day.

Sidenote - I'm an enchanter so grouping is pretty easy, but really everyone in my guild is constantly grouped and exping. I notice that there are not enough tanks.

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

Shodai posted:

Look at how you contradict yourself. The server is new. You have 3 50's.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

But how many socks does he have?

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

I play a LOT. I care to not share my hours played on Steam.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shodai posted:

Holy poo poo, you actually play through Steam? There's only a few hundred people who do that.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

jetz0r posted:

Holy poo poo, you actually play through Steam? There's only a few hundred people who do that.

Look for the guy with the 3 Socks achievement and we've got him!!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Rage posted:

Look for the guy with the 3 Socks achievement and we've got him!!

No steam achievements :(

Which is too bad, I could get even more raw achievements from EQ than I have from ToME.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Shodai posted:

There is no need to be ashamed. If you play through Steam, something tells me you don't have nearly as many hours /played as other players like jetz0r and I. I've spent well over a year of my life in front of a monitor playing Everquest.

jetz0r posted:

No steam achievements :(

Which is too bad, I could get even more raw achievements from EQ than I have from ToME.

I think there are more Everquest achievements than there are Steam achievements for you and I . Even with your Steam library.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

jetz0r posted:

I hadn't played in years before Phinny. Seemed like the easiest way to get the game up and running. Little did I think I'd end up playing more than a day...now Steam serves as a shame tracker for the most part.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
So I haven't played this game in forever (was high end raiding from luclin through OoW). I'm looking to come back, and am interested in getting back into the raid scene. I mostly played a Paladin, but also have experience as a warrior. I enjoyed the paladin more. I'm probably going to be starting from scratch. What servers are populated, and do paladins serve any kind of good raid role anymore? Not interested in progression servers at all.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Avenged posted:

So I haven't played this game in forever (was high end raiding from luclin through OoW). I'm looking to come back, and am interested in getting back into the raid scene. I mostly played a Paladin, but also have experience as a warrior. I enjoyed the paladin more. I'm probably going to be starting from scratch. What servers are populated, and do paladins serve any kind of good raid role anymore? Not interested in progression servers at all.

If you want to play non-progression EQ and aren't interested in P99 and actually want to play the game in its current state, and you don't mind paying for it. Welcome to the club ! EQ is actually a very fun game if you try to seperate in your mind what you experienced in OOW from what the game is now. I would suggest Luclin, or FV, depending on your preference. I play on test, because it is free and I don't feel the pressure that I would if I was paying to play this 18 year old elf simulator.

Remember that the cap is 105, and that 90-105 is absolute hell.. The raids are cool, some of the new lore is cool, the weapons are sweet.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Avenged posted:

Paladins are very good in raids these days. They've been a high demand, low availability class for years because of their AE cure + heal (Splashes) and versatility. Node can give more details on what they actually do.

For servers, ffs, don't pick either of those two if you're planning on raiding. Xegony has the best raid guilds in game, and some goon presence on the server. Cazic and Bristlebane both have a high pop with more total raiding guilds than Xegony.

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

Danksauce posted:

I think a realistic timeframe for 1-50 while investing some time but not poopsocking is probably a month or so because that's how long its going to take me, and that is playing a few hours a day with some more or less depending on the day.

Sidenote - I'm an enchanter so grouping is pretty easy, but really everyone in my guild is constantly grouped and exping. I notice that there are not enough tanks.

There's enough tanks, just 90% of rangers forget that they're tanks and not DPS in classic.I can hold agro no problem, my gear just isn't all that great. Being my first char Im collecting it as I go.
As far as leveling goes I started this past week and got up to 18. I figure I can probably hit close to 30 by the time kunark drops. The biggest issue seems to be massive overcrowding in the main exp zones, and people afraid to go elsewhere.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I'm on as Todd for an hour or so each night around 9 est if anyone wants to group or has a guild to join. Level 12 Druid and I'll probably be heading towards Unrest or Guk with a few more levels, preferably Guk because it's the best dungeon in the game ~_~

Phinegal is surprisingly fun and has kept me interested so far, it's a pleasant server and the community so far has been friendly and social. Probably my favorite feature are instanced zones in case of heavy population and instancing of raid content. Due to the ridiculous notion of world spawns I've never gotten to appreciate things like Vox, Nagafen or any of the other iconic bosses except for a small handful of times. It makes me feel that it's worthwhile to level because I know I'll be able to join a guild and engage in the content, even if I get jack poo poo out of it.

I also really enjoy being able to enter most any dungeon and see people leveling or at least power leveling inside and haven't had much difficulty finding a group. It's great appreciating content as it was meant to be enjoyed, where the mobs are overpowered and it takes an entire group to take them down. I set up in the CB throne room last night and marveled at the game design when it's not thrown out of whack due to mudflation. Tanks are definitely rare, probably because it's so hard to level without twink gear or spells, but it's a hard proposition to start one without help right now. I know the only reason I've stuck with the game is because Druids can solo easily once their spells start stacking up, even if I already have 4 loving pages filled out in my spell book.

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.

Brother Friendship posted:

I'm on as Todd for an hour or so each night around 9 est if anyone wants to group or has a guild to join. Level 12 Druid and I'll probably be heading towards Unrest or Guk with a few more levels, preferably Guk because it's the best dungeon in the game ~_~

Phinegal is surprisingly fun and has kept me interested so far, it's a pleasant server and the community so far has been friendly and social. Probably my favorite feature are instanced zones in case of heavy population and instancing of raid content. Due to the ridiculous notion of world spawns I've never gotten to appreciate things like Vox, Nagafen or any of the other iconic bosses except for a small handful of times. It makes me feel that it's worthwhile to level because I know I'll be able to join a guild and engage in the content, even if I get jack poo poo out of it.

I also really enjoy being able to enter most any dungeon and see people leveling or at least power leveling inside and haven't had much difficulty finding a group. It's great appreciating content as it was meant to be enjoyed, where the mobs are overpowered and it takes an entire group to take them down. I set up in the CB throne room last night and marveled at the game design when it's not thrown out of whack due to mudflation. Tanks are definitely rare, probably because it's so hard to level without twink gear or spells, but it's a hard proposition to start one without help right now. I know the only reason I've stuck with the game is because Druids can solo easily once their spells start stacking up, even if I already have 4 loving pages filled out in my spell book.

Find me in game, name is Jetlife. I am in a decent guild full of leveling people.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I played this in like... 1998. Never really got past like level 18. Should I try again?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Do you hate yourself?

realtalk: Uh I mean the game really isn't anything like it used to be, but it can be a good time if you're running off nostalgia or have people to play with. You'll be pretty much forced to 2/3-box if you want to do any meaningful content past level 80 or so, but a tank mercenary can duo with any class up til about that point. Travel is super simplified and a lot of classes actually have more than 1 button to press now in combat.

What makes you want to play it again? I ask because I probably wouldn't recommend EQ to someone who had never/barely played it before.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
If you want to see a lot of the game play a necromancer, magician, enchanter or maybe SK. With anything else you have to drag around mercs or bots to do much. Those classes can roll into a zone and do all kinds of fuckery solo, and they kinda embodied the crazy poo poo you can do in EQ.

Kofi Annan
Jan 30, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Had a great time grouping with Todd today on Phinigel, it felt just like 1999 with a better UI and those teens are flying by in Unrest!

Any other Phinigel goons feel free to look me up on my warrior Shmeeve. Just don't expect me to be able to do anything to help you since it's a warrior in classic...

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Your Shmeeve I'm Vanaya I just left RoV to join Steel Brigade.

Evor 3
Feb 19, 2010
Is there an RoV on Phinigel?

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Rise of Valiance = RoV I'm pretty sure the guild leadership is from FV

UrielX
Jan 4, 2008

Kofi Annan posted:

Had a great time grouping with Todd today on Phinigel, it felt just like 1999 with a better UI and those teens are flying by in Unrest!

Any other Phinigel goons feel free to look me up on my warrior Shmeeve. Just don't expect me to be able to do anything to help you since it's a warrior in classic...

I knew your gnominess smelled of being a goon!
You might have passed me up by now, didn't do much yesterday.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Who else on Phinigel is race changing to Iksar tomorrow

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
So VS on Phinny is no joke. We went in thinking it's going to be a quick loot piņata every Thursday. Holy poo poo, not so much. Guess we will see once we get a tank to 60. I don't think ours lasted one round against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddar
Nov 13, 2003

What the fuck is the Internet?
I am having a great time re-living EQ on Phinny. Hit me up, I am playing Mukjut the level 22 warrior.