Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is this the first thread you've ever read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's Fubuki. Oh yeh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

Whelp, I paused reading back in September and finally caught up (and on the thread too).
Managed to pick it back up right after the tournament ended :toot:

But man, this thread is insanely boring and repetitive at times. 1000s of the same few posts about which esper is the besto gaurl, hyperbolic praise of Murata, why King/Common Rider/Saitama is the best hero, and people who really really can't understand a joke, with only a light sprinkling of side chapters, artwork, and interesting news.

Well maybe if King and Fubuki weren't so BESTO, people wouldn't need to be so enthusiastic about how BESTO they are, oh yeaaaaa

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Praising Murata's drawing skills is never hyperbolic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really know many manga that are ridiculously well drawn as consistently as Murata's OPM is.

Berserk, though it was off the boil in recent chapters, is almost always amazing after Miura got into the later parts of the GA/early Conviction arcs onwards.
I've never read Vagabond but some of the stuff I've seen from it is exemplary.

Sure, you can go pick out individual pieces of art that are better than anything from One Punch Man, but the point about Murata's art being so drat good is that it's a manga, and even with his schedule, it doesn't allow him time to get every single panel to be a work of art, so the consistently high quality as well as technical proficiency throughout is where it's impressive.

People, please post other extremely well drawn examples of Manga like Murata's (including cool rear end Eyeshield stuff)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Shadow0 posted:

But man, this thread is insanely boring and repetitive at times. 1000s of the same few posts about which esper is the besto gaurl, hyperbolic praise of Murata, why King/Common Rider/Saitama is the best hero, and people who really really can't understand a joke, with only a light sprinkling of side chapters, artwork, and interesting news.

haha I like you

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Shadow0 posted:

As opposed to this post, where you're just complaining and contributing nothing to the thread?

Edit: Here's an insanely interesting and unique post, guys.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Elentor posted:

Praising Murata's drawing skills is never hyperbolic.

Seriously, he is easily the best comic book artist in the world imo

There are amazing pieces of art from stuff like Berserk, but when that poo poo takes centuries to come out it doesn't count imo

Murata just shits out amazing stuff constantly

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 13, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Juniji Ito is v good

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Well maybe if King and Fubuki weren't so BESTO, people wouldn't need to be so enthusiastic about how BESTO they are, oh yeaaaaa

who is King did you mean K I N G ? (rofl)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

sharktamer posted:

who is King did you mean K I N G ? (rofl)

M R. S A T A N
R
S
A
T
A
N

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
what would we do without each other? :love:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fubuki may be Besto Garl, but Genos will forever be Best Waifu.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Seriously, he is easily the best comic book artist in the world imo

There are amazing pieces of art from stuff like Berserk, but when that poo poo takes centuries to come out it doesn't count imo

Murata just shits out amazing stuff constantly

What about Don Rosa?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Murata's Back to the Future art is good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The gently caress is that, these anime people are clearly recognizable as their real life counterparts, manga faces are supposed to be all the same???

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hey, Murata!

Learn to draw, you scrub!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So in Saitama a cannibal?

Or do monsters not count?

He has been squatting in an abandoned city and paying little to no rent. Plus we know he didn't have a job because he was training all the time.

So while rent is paid for where does he get the rest of his cash?

I imagine he is either on the Japanese version of the dole, or alternatively he has been collecting the loose change of the monsters he has been killing and then cooking up their corpses.

P.s.
Maybe this way we can settle why he is such a powerful bastard. He has been eating monsters. Started with Crablante and has been chowing down on them ever since.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 13, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Donkringel posted:

So in Saitama a cannibal?

Or do monsters not count?

He has been squatting in an abandoned city and paying little to no rent. Plus we know he didn't have a job because he was training all the time.

So while rent is paid for where does he get the rest of his cash?

I imagine he is either on the Japanese version of the dole, or alternatively he has been collecting the loose change of the monsters he has been killing and then cooking up their corpses.

P.s.
Maybe this way we can settle why he is such a powerful bastard. He has been eating monsters. Started with Crablante and has been chowing down on them ever since.

We already know it's because he broke his limiter and not because it's just funny or anything like that.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

We already know it's because he broke his limiter and not because it's just funny or anything like that.

I dunno, I like the idea he is absorbing monster powers Aztec style. I mean Crablante looks delicious.

Top half at least

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He ate most of the wakame monster

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

The gently caress is that, these anime people are clearly recognizable as their real life counterparts, manga faces are supposed to be all the same???

Well, Lorraine and Jennifer kinda got the "barely distinguishable" traits.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Eh, if you showed me the picture cropped to just Lorraine and George, i'd have recognized them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HenryEx posted:

Never seen an Anime Mary Steenburgen before.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Zzulu posted:

de-twittered

The best thing ever, in total.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Never seen an Anime Mary Steenburgen before.

I hear there's a place in Vegas that can get you that, but there's a waiting list as long as your arm.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

I hear there's a place in Vegas that can get you that, but there's a waiting list as long as your arm.

What if I cut my arm off.

Checkmate.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Murata's Back to the Future art is good.

Yes it is

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh hey there

Shadow0 posted:

Whelp, I paused reading back in September and finally caught up (and on the thread too).
Managed to pick it back up right after the tournament ended :toot:

Sorry buddy but there's only so much going on with the Murata-based work at any given time and if there's no talk about interesting news or side chapters it's because those don't exist yet. If you check out most media-based SA threads this is basically what happens, there's not much to talk about so either the thread withers and dies on the vine (like most threads) or it becomes a dumb chat thread for fans of that particular thing (if the topic is popular enough).

At least we're not in the late-Zorak era where harsh moderation standards for discussion led to miles and miles of incredibly tiresome navel-gazing and handwringing posts.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I'm Spider-Ham posing for selfies

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Jedah posted:

As opposed to this post, where you're just complaining and contributing nothing to the thread?

that's a very good post though

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hate-Senpai posted:

What if I cut my arm off.

Checkmate.

Then you get to be Atomic Samurai's new apprentice.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Sorry buddy but there's only so much going on with the Murata-based work at any given time and if there's no talk about interesting news or side chapters it's because those don't exist yet. If you check out most media-based SA threads this is basically what happens, there's not much to talk about so either the thread withers and dies on the vine (like most threads) or it becomes a dumb chat thread for fans of that particular thing (if the topic is popular enough).

At least we're not in the late-Zorak era where harsh moderation standards for discussion led to miles and miles of incredibly tiresome navel-gazing and handwringing posts.

I've spent almost all my time here in ADTRW; I guess I've only ran into the latter type of thread up until now.
Sorry, calling it "insanely boring sometimes" was probably a bit too much. It was probably just because I read a few thousand posts at once catching up.
But either way, I'm not the first person to say this thread sometimes like to beat a few dead horses, so I'm not sure why everyone is getting so defensive.

Jedah posted:

Well, it is unique!
I spent like 10 minutes trying to think of some more content to tack onto the end of my last post so it wasn't such a high complaining density before giving up and just posting it, but I never expected it to upset so many people, sorry.
Don't feel like you need my approval, :justpost:.

Here's some content for you: What are the odds that Saitama ever reaches A rank? Each rank has some kind of guardian you must pass through by earning their approval (though I suppose Saitama has already earned Fubuki's [or at least a recognition of his strength]), so it feels like there will be some progression for Caped Baldy. But on the other hand, it's hard to imagine him actually getting recognition. What is it you think Fubuki and Handsomely-Masked Sweet Mask look for in people they allow to pass to the next level?

Also, how do people keep finding the bonus material? Whenever I read OPM online, those chapters tend to be missing. Am I just going to the wrong sites?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

Well, it is unique!
I spent like 10 minutes trying to think of some more content to tack onto the end of my last post so it wasn't such a high complaining density before giving up and just posting it, but I never expected it to upset so many people, sorry.
Don't feel like you need my approval, :justpost:.
It upset like three people because you decided to post in an inflammatory fashion.

Shadow0 posted:

Here's some content for you: What are the odds that Saitama ever reaches A rank? Each rank has some kind of guardian you must pass through by earning their approval (though I suppose Saitama has already earned Fubuki's [or at least a recognition of his strength]), so it feels like there will be some progression for Caped Baldy. But on the other hand, it's hard to imagine him actually getting recognition. What is it you think Fubuki and Handsomely-Masked Sweet Mask look for in people they allow to pass to the next level?
Lmao.

Shadow0 posted:

Also, how do people keep finding the bonus material? Whenever I read OPM online, those chapters tend to be missing. Am I just going to the wrong sites?
You have to buy the mangas in paperback.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty sure Kissmanga has 'em, though I'm not sure, especially with this manga's tendency of redoing chapters and Kissmanga's tendency to re-upload every chapter on a whim with new chapter numbers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AnonSpore posted:

I'm Spider-Ham posing for selfies

Hnnng, so good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want Murata to do a Spider-Man one shot or limited.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh, the money I'd pay...

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Oh hey there

How were they harsh? I don't think I was around adtrw when zorak was mod. Seems like he did some good pokemon LPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, I'm also comparing this thread to, say, something like the One Piece thread. If you wanna see tired dead horses and shitposting, whoa nelly (I also enjoy the OP thread as a chat thread very much, but if you want interesting news and discussion about One Piece you're probably going to be disappointed.)

thechosenone posted:

How were they harsh? I don't think I was around adtrw when zorak was mod. Seems like he did some good pokemon LPs?

Well, I suppose it was more of a forums-wide moderation culture since if I recall, Louisgod was also Games mod at the time and you might remember things were a little stricter there too. And both Zorak and Louisgod stepped down and their replacements were a fair bit more laissez-faire about posting, which seemed to reflect a sea change in the mod standards. Before then you could wind up eating a probie for a sufficiently poo poo shitpost or for poking fun of a thread's insular culture, or just not contributing enough content to a discussion. As far as specifically adtrw is concerned, I think the disconnect between the stricter moderation culture and the sort of flippant nature of natural conversation (of which shitposting is a part) sort of came to a head in Zorak's Kill La Kill thread a couple years back. After a certain point, it became something of a lumbering behemoth of people trying to justify, in a whole ton of words, why they still enjoyed that irreverent, kinda gross and objectionable, and energetic dumb Trigger action show. While sometimes people would pop in and lampoon the ludicrous thread culture with their own irreverent one-liners and eat progressively stricter punishments for it.

Personally I'd rather take posting in stride and I'm glad most mods these days do, too.