Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I'm upset that the only channel in my area that my antenna refuses to pick up is the ABC station that airs Jeopardy. I hate how it's the only way to watch new episodes without getting cable or illegal downloads.

I've been watching episodes on Hulu and Netflix and getting questions that were in the zeitgeist at the time that no one today would remember. Who remembers that the two top swimmers in the 2016 Olympics were both from Maryland 4 years later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Is that two guys this week wearing the same pair of half square/half round glasses? I don't think I've ever seen them before this week.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The "cancer" clue.

Yikes!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was full :vince: when it happened...but I think he just meant that's his birth sign (it is)

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 5, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Anne Whateley posted:

I was full :vince: when it happened...but I think he just meant that's his birth sign

I figured that, but still...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Human Cow posted:

Is that two guys this week wearing the same pair of half square/half round glasses? I don't think I've ever seen them before this week.

I noticed that too

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I choose to believe he was making a very dark joke

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mr Hookshot was straight up like "HOLY poo poo HE CANNOT HAVE MEANT THAT"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was so primed for something crazy and went in blind. It was very underwhelming.

“Losing your virginity” being a woman’s “special event” was so much more yikes though.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 5, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Not a single one of these nerds played The Witcher, the biggest game of 2015?

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Was anyone else confused that the answer to tonight's FJ wasn't aurochs? Seems really weird, because it definitely fits as an answer.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

puppets freak me out posted:

Was anyone else confused that the answer to tonight's FJ wasn't aurochs? Seems really weird, because it definitely fits as an answer.
This is, oddly, a different word for the same creature

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Today I learned that unicorns are mentioned in the bible nine times.

I also cheered at a contestant realizing they HAD to bet big on a late DD to have any chance of winning. Shame it didn't work out.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

This was me :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Today I learned that unicorns are mentioned in the bible nine times.

I also cheered at a contestant realizing they HAD to bet big on a late DD to have any chance of winning. Shame it didn't work out.

Depends on the Bible, I have a New International Version, and it says "wild ox"

https://www.unicornsrule.com/unicor...and%20bullocks.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 8, 2020

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
UNICORNS ARE HORSES NOT OXEN, GET IT TOGETHER, BIBLE

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Add me to the pile that answered that immediately. I really wish someone would have written it to see how it would have been ruled.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Same. I'm assuming aurochs aren't mentioned exactly nine times and it'd be incorrect based on that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Not a single one of these nerds played The Witcher, the biggest game of 2015?

Nobody got the Leroy Jenkins clue on College Jeopardy way back when and WoW was probably the biggest game on the planet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The contestant's response to today's first Daily Double had me wanting to throw something at my television.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My feed was insanely echo-y today, not sure if it was local or what. Also cackling at that first DD response.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I feel really old with no one knowing who Peter Frampton was.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

My feed was insanely echo-y today, not sure if it was local or what. Also cackling at that first DD response.

There's been some mixing, I think it might be because an episode from maybe a week ago had Alex sounding raspy and hoarse as hell and they're just boosting levels. I mean, we're now in the run of episodes that were taped in the week or two before he passed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mister Kingdom posted:

I feel really old with no one knowing who Peter Frampton was.

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him that young, and once I heard the answer it was too obvious :doh:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Interesting article looking back on who's been considered to replace Trebek over time.

https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1336720332393213959

Plus, I had no idea that's how the "time's up" boops were triggered, but it makes so much sense now!
The sound is manually triggered by a button on the host's podium, giving the contestants as much or as little time to respond as the host deems necessary.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doggles posted:

Plus, I had no idea that's how the "time's up" boops were triggered, but it makes so much sense now!
The sound is manually triggered by a button on the host's podium, giving the contestants as much or as little time to respond as the host deems necessary.

This seems wildly illegal.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Timby posted:

This seems wildly illegal.

I think you got to see this in action in yesterday's episode even. A contestant started a response just before the red lights were up, but the boops didn't sound immediately once the lights depleted because they were still speaking. They were still given enough time to give a proper response.

The biggest surprise for me was who triggers it. Even if it wasn't automated, I assumed it'd be trigger by the same person that controls the signaling device lockout system.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Isn't the article referring to the timer for people to buzz in? Not the timer for people to answer.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

wa27 posted:

Isn't the article referring to the timer for people to buzz in? Not the timer for people to answer.

no, that's manually triggered by someone at the judge's table.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Loved the full "form of a question" response given as Who framed Roger Rabbit

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zero One posted:

Loved the full "form of a question" response given as Who framed Roger Rabbit

I had a long-running debate with a friend about exactly this. I said it would be acceptable, since the rule only says it has to be "in the form of a question", not that the question has to make sense, the same reason responding "Why is Washington" would be acceptable.

Seeing this last night I immediately messaged him to rub it in. Since it happened in DJ it sealed the deal since that rule is strictly applied.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I had a long-running debate with a friend about exactly this. I said it would be acceptable, since the rule only says it has to be "in the form of a question", not that the question has to make sense, the same reason responding "Why is Washington" would be acceptable.

Seeing this last night I immediately messaged him to rub it in. Since it happened in DJ it sealed the deal since that rule is strictly applied.

Yeah, I remember one episode a while back in DJ where the person answered "Is it [answer]?" and Alex was like "well.... that's technically a question so yeah you're correct"

As long as it's a question of any form it's fine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Something about Brayden makes me want to give him a wedgie

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I like how he apologized to the others for getting both daily doubles lol.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Something about Brayden makes me want to give him a wedgie

When I first saw him my comment was that I didn't know they allowed 10-year-olds on regular Jeopardy.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
He looks like a Mormon.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

packetmantis posted:

He looks like a moron

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
you are all terrible people

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He's really good and I hope he goes on a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

he needs to get his eyes checked, he keeps squinting at the board for daily doubles