Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
That dude is absolutely going to be house poor unless his in-laws are contributing significantly. I don't know where he gets his numbers but he will not be saving money over his $2200/mo rental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It sounds like a .com boom retard.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MickeyFinn posted:

I assume you think this is a bad idea because he is working for startups. Buying a house that is only 4x annual income seems pretty sane by today's standards. Am I missing something?

If he was making $250k as a lawyer or doctor, no problem. But $250k at a startup that could fold? Not good for a mortgage.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2ukomw/my_best_friend_inherited_control_of_a_trust_fund/ posted:

My best friend inherited control of a trust fund for her minor nephew. She invested 95% of the money in RadioShack stock, paying between $3 and $4 a share. She sold it for a fraction of that after that company announced bankruptcy. Could she get sued over this? In NY

Wow.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

OK, this has to be the most Bad With Money thing I've read in this thread. I would roll the dice on Haitian penny stocks before I bought Radioshack, Jesus wept.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

The trust originally was half owner of a 3 family house plus owned some shares in mutual funds. The house was sold and my best friend invested all the proceeds in RadioShack stock. Later, she sold the mutual funds and also invested that in RadioShack as well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Worst part is, when the kid turns 18 it's going to be hard to explain where all his inheritance went because none of his peers will have heard of Radio Shack.

Those parents had better haunt that idiot.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Whuh, why. How. Who has looked at Radioshack since the early 2000's and thought "This company is going places other then a painful bankruptcy."

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

CitizenKain posted:

Whuh, why. How. Who has looked at Radioshack since the early 2000's and thought "This company is going places other then a painful bankruptcy."

Every time I happen to pass a Radio Shack, I am surprised. "Whoa, those still exist?" They've been nothing but cell phones and, like, two packages of resistors on the back wall, for at least a decade.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Basically:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dqnJ9Guvaaw

Replace Blockbuster with Radio Shack.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Remember when radio shack decided you weren't allowed to buy anything from them without giving them your phone number and address? That's why I stopped shopping there in the late 90s.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
I think reading about people going all-in on GTAT before the early October crash and the moments after were more impressive. People read one article and think that stock is going to the moon like bitcoin. It is terrible to see people come into large windfalls and piss them away thinking they can double their money every day/week/month.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

I think reading about people going all-in on GTAT before the early October crash and the moments after were more impressive. People read one article and think that stock is going to the moon like bitcoin. It is terrible to see people come into large windfalls and piss them away thinking they can double their money every day/week/month.

Whenever I read about someone losing all of their money, their child's money or reading the SloMo thread all I can envision is the financial version of the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsxfbCMGxkY

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Anyone who has been in a radio shack in the past 10 years knows that this woman is a moron. Reading that gave me the willies.

Another gem from about a year ago linked in the comments (sorry if this was already linked when it was originally posted):

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1r88vl/need_advice_on_inheritance_arbitrage_family_etc/ posted:

The Bitcoin boom has been wonderful for some people, obviously, but I am really struggling. Last year my father passed away (my mother passed away from cancer many years ago), and my sister and I were left with a large inheritance. I am 23 and my sister is only 17 (parents had us when they were somewhat older. The inheritance was placed entirely in my control to be split between my sister and I. He did not want her to have access to the money until she turned 21. I am tasked with assisting her with college payments, etc. I chose to liquidate the majority of the assets and was left with around $750,000. I am bitter about this because I was ripped off by a shifty individual taking advantage of my ignorance on some things. I should have gotten much more than I did.
I discovered Bitcoin a few years ago. I today greatly regret that the moment I liquidated the inheritance I didn't place the entirety of it into Bitcoin. With Bitcoin on the verge of making it very, very big I began performing arbitrage six months ago. The rising adoption has created volatility which makes it very good for arbitrage. I know of people that have made A LOT of money doing this, but I have now lost A LOT of money.
I am consistently misjudging the movement of the markets. I buy in and sell, not holding any long term positions. On the 19th, I bought 250 coins at $800; it was quickly rising and I was worried I would not be able to buy in at that price ever again. Immediately after my purchase it began tanking. I tried to hold my position hoping it was just temporary and would return to $800 and increase from there. After hitting around $600 it began to increase again, I viewed this as reaffirming my projection. It rose again to around $700. I held my position into the 20th, it dropped to $500 and that was my sell point hoping to minimize my losses. I lost $75,000 in an almost 24/hr period. This was my fastest and almost largest single trade loss. If I had continued to hold I would be able to sell right now with minimal losses.
I have "made" money on trades, but overall the losses have kept me in the red. As of today, over the past 7 months I have lost a total of $410,000. The inheritance was supposed to be split between my younger sister and I, giving us each $375,00 + half of the house (not worth much, rural area, etc).
However, I don't have a legal obligation to provide her with half of the money, that was a verbal contract between my father and I, the in-writing legal stuff allocates it all to me. I made the mistake of telling her that I invested the money in Bitcoin; she has read the news etc on it, so she is under the assumption that there is a lot more money than there actually is. Regardless, I have already paid her first year of college tuition in cash anyway, this was around $30,000. I also bought her a used car to take to college ($5,000). We later found out they don't want freshman to have cars?? So we might sell it and I can give her that money. Ultimately, in addition to other living expenses, bills, car, etc I have around $280,000 left which is currently all liquid.
Now, if you took the time to read all of that, thank you, sorry it was so long. What I am looking for is advice on how to trade. How can I guarantee that I earn high returns? What are good resources on how to trade Bitcoin? Are there any good books to read on trading? General information I may be missing?
I know I can earn this money back, I just need to figure out how. If there is an experienced trader out there that is in need for funding I am willing to work out a deal where we can work together on this. I need to see a proven track record of success though.
Thanks for your time. I know a lot of people are going to respond negatively to me, I know I hosed up. I really, really, need advice though so please don't downvote me just because I am an idiot.

Praying that this dude was a troll.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Not a Children posted:

Anyone who has been in a radio shack in the past 10 years knows that this woman is a moron. Reading that gave me the willies.

Another gem from about a year ago linked in the comments (sorry if this was already linked when it was originally posted):

Look into your heart, you know that this post was true.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Not a Children posted:

And suddenly I feel ill

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Not a Children posted:

Wow, what a loving dick.

Also, how is it a collage's business if a freshman has a car or not?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Not a Children posted:

I don't think this guy is a troll. Looked thru that guy's history and he is now posting in /r/opiates. One of his posts say he would stop when he the amount he has left is 150k.

quote:

It is $130K not $150K. If I get down to $150K I will stop, is what I said. I am going to trade differently this time and am looking for advice on how to do that...
Instead of berating me people could help me

Another of his post prior to that, he was bragging/ridiculing people about not having money.

quote:

I have seen you make a similar post within /r/apple at least once before. Apple products are luxury goods for individuals with high incomes. $1800 is not a lot of money to many of us. Whether I buy a $500 laptop, a $1800 laptop, or a $5000 laptop makes no difference to me financially.
If this is a testament to how you spend your time there is no need to wonder why you are poor. You too probably do not understand why someone would buy a luxury car, clothing, or home. You lack sophistication and culture so you rage with jealousy and envy on the internet about things you don't understand.

This is the most schadenfreude I've enjoyed for a long time. Dude lost 1.2mil of inheritance for him and his sister and is now a drug addict. I do feel bad for the sister though.

lostleaf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 3, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If he's not a troll, he is definitely mentally ill. He's beyond narcissism, that's some full-blown distorted reality poo poo and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a crazy street bum

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

"The Bitcoin boom has been wonderful for some people, obviously, but I am really struggling."

What a good sentence.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also, how is it a collage's business if a freshman has a car or not?

If she lives in a dorm, there are probably a limited number of parking spaces.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Super Dan posted:

If she lives in a dorm, there are probably a limited number of parking spaces.

Yup.

My school gave out a limited number of parking passes, and they straight up told us that there was exactly a 0% chance we'd get a pass as a freshman. It was weighted to give higher preference to higher classes and commuters.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-02/how-we-re-spending-our-windfall-from-cheap-gas

quote:

Charles and Cheryl Saul are reaping a timely windfall: an extra $500 a month thanks to cheap gasoline.
The couple, both 56 and from Emmaus, Pennsylvania, drive a lot so filling the tank didn’t leave much room for fun. Now they’re splurging after years of staycations, minor-league baseball games and free concerts. In October, they visited Disney World, their priciest vacation in ages. They’re also planning to renovate, meaning more trips to Home Depot Inc.
“We’re finally starting to feel like we’re back in the middle class,” Cheryl Saul said.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

At least someone in that article has some sense:

quote:

Having lived through so many false dawns, some Americans aren’t exactly spending with abandon. Evan Lee, a 42-year-old lab manager from Queens, New York, is going out more but most of the $20 or so savings per tank is going right in the bank.

“I’m afraid it’s gonna go back up soon,” he said. “This is too good to be true, right?”

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

$500 in a month. Cripes. So, assuming a rounded drop of $1.75, they burn through over 280 gallons of gasoline a month. How? Why? For most cars, that's the equivalent of filling up every day and a half. Either they're exaggerating their savings or they drive an RV everywhere. Either way, treating a drop in gasoline like a windfall fit for free-for-all spending is incredibly dumb.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
The worst part of the bitcoin thing is where he thinks that he doesn't have to give his sister poo poo because "it was a verbal agreement."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Not a Children posted:

$500 in a month. Cripes. So, assuming a rounded drop of $1.75, they burn through over 280 gallons of gasoline a month. How? Why? For most cars, that's the equivalent of filling up every day and a half. Either they're exaggerating their savings or they drive an RV everywhere. Either way, treating a drop in gasoline like a windfall fit for free-for-all spending is incredibly dumb.

There are people whose jobs require them to drive all over a state throughout the week, regional supervisors etc. Not a fun job to have but some do have it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nail Rat posted:

There are people whose jobs require them to drive all over a state throughout the week, regional supervisors etc. Not a fun job to have but some do have it.

If that's the case, your business should be paying for your gas. I think you generally can claim .55 per mile.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tigntink posted:

If that's the case, your business should be paying for your gas. I think you generally can claim .55 per mile.

Fair point. I don't know, someone who works in Manhattan but really wants to live in New Hampshire?

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Not a Children posted:

They both drive 40-miles one way in a big truck or SUV, plus some driving around on the weekend. Based on where they live, that would put their jobs in the Philly suburbs, so it seems plausible, if stupid to people in BFC.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Nail Rat posted:

Fair point. I don't know, someone who works in Manhattan but really wants to live in New Hampshire?

They exist. I worked with someone who drove into Long Island (Suffolk, no less, not just past Queens) from Connecticut every single day. It's still not as much gas as this, but I never understood why she did it. There was a huge management/non-management pay gap at that company, but there's no way she was making enough to offset the gas, wear & tear, tolls, and hours spent in the car.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

xie posted:

They exist. I worked with someone who drove into Long Island (Suffolk, no less, not just past Queens) from Connecticut every single day. It's still not as much gas as this, but I never understood why she did it. There was a huge management/non-management pay gap at that company, but there's no way she was making enough to offset the gas, wear & tear, tolls, and hours spent in the car.

:stare:

I drive from Queens to Nassau and I feel like that's too far, I have one of the longest commutes out of the 27 people in my department.

How did that person deal with the traffic? Long Island/NYC traffic is loving miserable for most of the day. My commute is about 25 miles, and it takes me over an hour to get home on a reverse commute.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
Omg that bitcoin guy. I remember it at the time but just scrolled through his comment history again because some of his replies are pretty amazing...

quote:

I "technically" owe my sister $375,000. I only have near to $280,000 left. If I split that with her then I will only have $140,000 for myself left. That isn't enough.
--
That woman is a counselor. She probably has a B.A. in psychology and thinks she knows everything. Most importantly, what she doesn't know, is me. I am not a gambler and never have been. I have been operating businesses since I was a teenager. I know a lot about money but trading is something new for me. I need advice on how to trade properly.
--
I have looked all over NYC and there none of the advisers understand what Bitcoin is. Every single one I have called has told me that they wouldn't ever advise me to put any of my money into it. There reasons were all stupid. They don't "get" it.
--
She reads Bitcoin news and sees the gains and thinks we are benefiting from it. At one point during extreme volatility she became concerned and I lied to her telling her that I nearly doubled the money. As long as I get back the original amount everything will be okay.
--
I could have just as easily made millions of dollars. If I had, no one would say I was gambling, they would be asking me how I did it.
--
I called a few financial advisers after my bad experience and tried to find someone that would be willing to help me trade Bitcoin but I couldn't find anyone. Some of the advisers were complete dicks about it too.
--
But none of those investments are going to get me my money back. What is the average return of a "safe" investment? 1%? 2%? That isn't enough. Bitcoin IS safe, I was just unlucky.
---
If I gave it all to her, I wouldn't have any money to live off of.

GET A JOB rear end in a top hat.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

jaymeekae posted:

Omg that bitcoin guy. I remember it at the time but just scrolled through his comment history again because some of his replies are pretty amazing...

GET A JOB rear end in a top hat.

This is why I think it's a troll. The perfect storm of arrogance and self-deception that is just too terrible to be real.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Renegret posted:

:stare:

I drive from Queens to Nassau and I feel like that's too far, I have one of the longest commutes out of the 27 people in my department.

How did that person deal with the traffic? Long Island/NYC traffic is loving miserable for most of the day. My commute is about 25 miles, and it takes me over an hour to get home on a reverse commute.

She just worked very flexible hours. She'd show up at 10am sometimes, and lots of people worked super late there. It's one of those gigantic businesses that almost nobody has heard of because it's still run like a family business. I still never understood it, I can't imagine giving that much of my life to any job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

xie posted:

She just worked very flexible hours. She'd show up at 10am sometimes, and lots of people worked super late there. It's one of those gigantic businesses that almost nobody has heard of because it's still run like a family business. I still never understood it, I can't imagine giving that much of my life to any job.

Fair enough, but that makes the traffic manageable. Still doesn't excuse driving in from loving Connecticut. That route will take you over tolls as well, so travel expenses will add up very quickly.

I used to work overnights, and it was the loving worst. Going home, I faced rush hour traffic going into NYC. My drive home typically took 2 hours or more for that 25 mile commute, and if I was lucky I'd break 40 MPH at some point on the drive. Most of it was spent in bumper to bumper traffic.

There is not enough money in the world that can be offered to me to make me put up with that again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For bitcoin guy's sister, the only answer is fratricide.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Not a Children posted:

This is why I think it's a troll. The perfect storm of arrogance and self-deception that is just too terrible to be real.

If its a troll, that guy has been in character for a long time. Check out some of his older posts.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I consider myself very lucky that my minimal dabbling in Bitcoins actually did pay off. I tried mining back when it was around $7, got half a coin, and then decided it wasn't worth it. Sold that half coin when it was around $800. Sure, in hindsight I could have made lots of money. But you could do that with any penny stock if you know its going up.

There was a slight temptation to try actually investing in it after that, which thankfully I didn't. I think its down around $300 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Not a Children posted:

You haven't been reading the Bitcoin thread, have you?

• Locked thread