Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Apoffys posted:

I haven't touched this game in nearly a year (played a bit after the first 2014 update), have there been any major changes to the game or major mod improvements since then? I downloaded the PeridexisErrant Starter Pack, is that still the standard recommendation?

Also, is there an easier way to find a site with flux, iron and coal than to do "prospect all" in DFHack a million times before embarking? Or has trade improved enough that I can perhaps import some of those things rather than have to dig up my own supply of everything?

You can order a bunch of raw materials from your outpost liason to get a minimum amount of steel. Iron bars, hematite, magnetite, and limonite are all pretty cheap, each unit of ore produces 4 bars of metal now. You can order raw stones of calcite, chalk, dolomite, limestone, and marble for flux, though marble is really common anyway. If your civ has it you can get a few bituminous coal or lignite every year. And even if you embark on a glacier you can order raw logs of every flavor your civilization posses, and get up to 4 of each for 6 bux per unit.

If that is too slow you can also order in ores to make bronze. 1 Cassiterite + 1 Malachite + 1 Fuel = 8 bars of bronze. I usually bring enough for 2 or 3 bronze reactions with me in the embark now, which costs hardly anything. Within the first month I have 16-24 bars of bronze, which is enough to make all the picks and axes I'll need for the first couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If your civilization straight up does not have access to a particular type of ore due to worldgen or whatever (or wood type or animal product type or whatever) you can't request that, though. If it isn't available to you on embark, you won't be able to ask the dwarven caravan for it. The humans may or may not happen to have what you want, and goblins tend to bring stuff you can melt down, often in large quantities! You just need to convince them to give it to you.

The chances of your home civilization not having ANY iron ores or flux available is pretty drat tiny. But if you really really absolutely need to make bismuth bronze, that might be a bit more difficult to get in your world.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 17, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can someone talk to me like I have Downs Syndrome and explain how I can make soap from tallow? From what I understand, its bugged right now. I tried making a stockpile only for Lye and removing Lye from my food stockpile, but the option is still Red in the Soap Maker's Workshop.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Is the lye in a bucket or a barrel? I think it has to be in a barrel to be used for soap making.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm pretty sure that physical availability only affects pure metals, those produced by the generic "Smelt xxx ore" jobs that you get by connecting an [ORE:xxx] token to a mineral. Alloys or anything else that uses an actual reaction is exempt and always available.

You can tell that your civ doesn't have iron if you can only buy steel anvils for your expedition.

brass_taxxx
Feb 19, 2011

Node posted:

Can someone talk to me like I have Downs Syndrome and explain how I can make soap from tallow? From what I understand, its bugged right now. I tried making a stockpile only for Lye and removing Lye from my food stockpile, but the option is still Red in the Soap Maker's Workshop.

I've had problems with this recently too. I turned off the cooking option from the kitchen menu for the tallow I had and then I was able to make soap again. It might have something to do with where the tallow is stored (in a barrel that is constantly in use or something)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GenericOverusedName posted:

Is the lye in a bucket or a barrel? I think it has to be in a barrel to be used for soap making.

Its in its default container. Buckets within barrels, which I think makes the game think that tallow isn't available for usage.

I was saying Lye earlier but I meant tallow. I mix the two up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, emptying stuff from buckets into barrels is broke as gently caress right now. Better to keep them in their own bucket piles that don't use barrels.

Also tallow isn't stored in buckets. :confused:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

why store tallow at all? It doesn't rot, no point in wasting container space.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

scamtank posted:

Yeah, emptying stuff from buckets into barrels is broke as gently caress right now. Better to keep them in their own bucket piles that don't use barrels.

Also tallow isn't stored in buckets. :confused:

Making soap is hard, I DUNNO. Theres tallow sitting right there, not being used in a task, not in a container.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Any of you tried KeeperRL out?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/329970

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

guys! guys, mifki did a thing

Look at this view, right? Blue garnets, indigo tourmalines, citrines, gold beryls... Can you tell which is which? Without the K-cursor, I mean.

KA-ZAM

Suddenly, increased color palette. It's a bit more arduous to set than you'd expect right now, but there's an included script that renders stuff according to what color (RGB definition in descriptor_color_standard.txt) is set as STATE_COLOR:SOLID in the raws.

A good bunch of the materials in the raws actually don't have any STATE_COLORs defined for them, so they defer to the material template, which is dull grey for stones and brown for trees. For instance, fungiwood trees in the caverns are all lush brown, but the wagon on the surface is a cheery lemon color - only the plant's WOOD has a STATE_COLOR, the STRUCTURAL material goes without.

The new version of TWBT is up on http://build.mifki.com.

e: Most types of wood had their own slightly different color variations, not that you could tell. Now you can!

(that's a bronze pick)

scamtank fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 17, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This is really cool

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

scamtank posted:

guys! guys, mifki did a thing

mifki is kind of incredible at this whole hacking the gibson thing

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One of my craftdwarves just made an artifact bone spear, of all things. Is it gonna be a poo poo weapon due to it being made of bone, or does the artifact quality make it worth using in a squad of speardwarves?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It'll be awesome as long as the target doesn't have any armor, it still won't be able to punch through armor well at all.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Toady posted:

After these many years, the mugs and goblets created by the dwarves are now used for their proper dwarfy purpose -- containing alcohol just before its journey to the dwarven stomach. I'm setting up the occupation assignment for the new taverns, temples and libraries. They work kind of like position appointments. This time I think we're going with tavern keepers, performers, scribes and scholars. Priests are off the table for this release since they are currently handled by a separate entity and we'll have to tackle that later, but temple performers should still be able to do sacred dances and so forth. Tavern performers are special artists like those from the traveling troupes -- dwarves will still sing, dance and tell stories without needing to be given an occupation. Scribes will focus on copying existing codices and scrolls while scholars will mostly just think and talk to each other. There'll need to be some controls for that, since you don't want scribes to waste materials on extra copies while scholars need them to write down new results, but different forts will have differing priorities.

It's finally happened.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Did it get confirmd or talked about at any point if the actual music that is being made by the agents in the game, be they dwarven or otherwise, will have any actual notation for playback? Considering we have footprints, I wouldn't be surprised if you get procedurally generated MIDI exports of the songs of your people.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Toady should also make Plates and Bowls for the same reason for food.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

tavern_littered_with_spare_mugs_and_plates.png will be the new bedroom_littered_with_discarded_clothing.png

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dwarf cancels go to party: stupid mom making me wash dishes

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I'm playing the Dark Ages mod and building a literal wooden fort when a Great Tiger starts poking around my outer walls. Not really doing much, this tiger, but the constant 'Interrupted by!' messages get annoying, so I send my militia to kill it.

The Great Tiger bites my Mil. Commander in the thigh, bruises him, then proceeds to run away. My Commander is having absolutely none of this poo poo, of course, and gives chase. Upon tackling the tiger, he bites the thing's paw into a bloody mess, then the leg attached to the paw, then proceeds to punch the literal guts out of the poor cat.

After a few dozen turns of my commander punching this thing into an oversized pile of vomit, this happens:

:iit:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Man, and I thought the FPS had gotten worse from 2012 to 2014. 2016 with spoons and bards is going to be unplayable, isn't it?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sub Rosa posted:

Man, and I thought the FPS had gotten worse from 2012 to 2014. 2016 with spoons and bards is going to be unplayable, isn't it?

You... spoony bard.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Dwarf cancels go to party: stupid mom making me wash dishes

Dwarf cancels drink: can't find mug.

Looking forward to the potential for "why are all my dwarves dying of thirst" questions.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Toady should also make Plates and Bowls for the same reason for food.

A do-over for the whole process of getting grub would be in order, I think. Cooks prepare food that goes on a great big communal buffet table that abstracts the contents into a total stock (decreasing over time as spoilage occurs) and a "current menu". The value of the generic meal that the table then dispenses increases with variety and dwarves with preferences get to rejoice if any of their favorites are up that day. The length of time that a course stays on the menu depends on how much of it comes out of the kitchen. I haven't thought about what would happen to the current kitchen reactions.

If there's no dwarfeteria, the current mechanism of dwarves walking to the larder and chomping down on a turnip happens. With a stress penalty, I think.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 19, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah these features sound great but I feel like eventually FPS needs to be addressed.

Even in 2012 a 10 year old established fort really starts to chug.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah these features sound great but I feel like eventually FPS needs to be addressed.

I wonder how well 40d would run on my 4790k...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

I just got one of those and I haven't played DF on it yet...

The CPU is fast as hell though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

atomicthumbs posted:

You could get it to run faster on a Q6600 with the right overclocks.

Single core clock is all that matters.

Mudlark posted:

The Great Tiger bites my Mil. Commander in the thigh, bruises him, then proceeds to run away. My Commander is having absolutely none of this poo poo, of course, and gives chase. Upon tackling the tiger, he bites the thing's paw into a bloody mess, then the leg attached to the paw, then proceeds to punch the literal guts out of the poor cat.

Why did you abbreviate militia but type out Commander?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I hope there is a thats_what_biblo_baggins_hates script where the dwarfs smash cups and plates and everything else while they sing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

I think a lot of it is tied into how much stuff you get in an established fort. More animals, more items(especially more more clothes andXclothesX), more dwarves, more dug out tiles, more historical events to track*...I feel like updating the pathfinding code would help a lot, as would some less intensive way of tracking items.

Although the recent changes with trees don't help. With how easy it is to get wood from trading, you might as well embark in an unforested biome and gain some FPS. That's another thing: You're incentivized to avoid cool features because so many of them(oceans, evil weather, etc) require extra processing.

*On this note, is it really necessary to have a historical event for every single masterpiece? Nobody cares about them, and it makes the legends for old forts nearly impossible to read.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012

Haifisch posted:

*On this note, is it really necessary to have a historical event for every single masterpiece? Nobody cares about them, and it makes the legends for old forts nearly impossible to read.

But you don't get it, that was a really, really, really delicious *horse lung roast*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haifisch posted:

Although the recent changes with trees don't help. With how easy it is to get wood from trading, you might as well embark in an unforested biome and gain some FPS. That's another thing: You're incentivized to avoid cool features because so many of them(oceans, evil weather, etc) require extra processing.

What do you mean I can't have thirty thousand celery stalks :shepface:

but yeah I love ocean embarks but the FPS hit makes it really not worth it anymore.

Gibbo posted:

You could get it to run faster on a Q6600 with the right overclocks.

Single core clock is all that matters.

Isn't the core speed on that 2.4 GHz though? The new 4790k has a 4 GHz single core speed.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Raw speed isn't always the best measure of processor being good stuff. Pipeline bubbles and stuff.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Today, I learned a little bit about how water pressure works.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

That's Spacefox, right? Is there technical coding reason why sprite sets don't have a sprite for things like dead goblin or dead dwarf? They just refer back to vanilla DF and go with the lowercase 'd', right?

I mean, I think the animators did a lovely job of creating crisp, clear sprites for living dwarves, but why stop short?

e: Also, on an unrelated note, is there a tutorial on how to mod DF? I'm more or less looking to understand the framework, and maybe eventually make some changes.

e2: Whoa, I just realized that the gem sprites have little dots below them in each of their sprites (the grey one has one, the pink one has three). Do those dots have any bearing on their meaning in-game?

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 21, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

That's Spacefox, right? Is there technical coding reason why sprite sets don't have a sprite for things like dead goblin or dead dwarf? They just refer back to vanilla DF and go with the lowercase 'd', right?

I mean, I think the animators did a lovely job of creating crisp, clear sprites for living dwarves, but why stop short?
Basically because DF doesn't have builtin hooks for that.

quote:

e2: Whoa, I just realized that the gem sprites have little dots below them in each of their sprites (the grey one has one, the pink one has three). Do those dots have any bearing on their meaning in-game?

Based on their value.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

There's a special tile hook for a dwarven fishmanglers. When a dwarf dies, he stops being a fishmangler and splits into an invisible soul and an item called a "corpse".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

But doesn't the program have to check to see whether the 'corpse' item is a dwarf corpse or a dingo corpse or a cave crocodile corpse? How would it know which alphabet letter to display? I imagine the could be some small system implemented to check to see which letter is displayed and overlay a new sprite or something. This coming from a person who doesn't know how to C++...