Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: Imgur sucks now. Gimme a minute with this.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SilverSupernova posted:

I am deeply upset that they didn't have him say "Mol'ady."
Come on, people. How can I trust your book to be funny when you miss that one?

They already used "mole ma'am" last issue, I don't think you can top that with the cover.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's actually honestly gotten boring. I say this as an Aussie, they've officially run the joke so far into the ground it's hit sewage.

It isn't a joke, Onmi, Donald Trump is really our next potential president. I'm sorry you have to find out this way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'll let you google B.L.A.I.R 1 :o:

Yeah but it was written by a Brit. Even if Mark Millar was living in the US when he wrote a lot of his W. Bush poo poo, it's still the same fundamental problem as Trevor Noah on the Daily Show-- no skin in the game, no long-standing understanding of the cultural underpinnings that formed the milieu he's attempting to satire, so at best it comes across as tone-deaf.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Edit: Imgur sucks now. Gimme a minute with this.

Holy poo poo now I have a reason to strive for one of those West Coast-style mansions that have giant white walls so I can frame this and hang it up on one of them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

Holy poo poo now I have a reason to strive for one of those West Coast-style mansions that have giant white walls so I can frame this and hang it up on one of them.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah but it was written by a Brit. Even if Mark Millar was living in the US when he wrote a lot of his W. Bush poo poo, it's still the same fundamental problem as Trevor Noah on the Daily Show-- no skin in the game, no long-standing understanding of the cultural underpinnings that formed the milieu he's attempting to satire, so at best it comes across as tone-deaf.

Wait - so you can only complain about a country/its politics/its economics/its social issues/etc if you were born there?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No. You're making logic leaps.

I said you can, but odds are you aren't going to do it well.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

You know the Daily show has a writing staff and it's all not just Noah coming up with the stuff by himself, right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Of course. He's still the point man doing the delivery and he's consistently shown that he isn't--and can't be--on the same wavelength of a native US citizen. That's not a personal knock, mind you. Put Jon Stewart in Johannesburg doing a show and watch the same thing happen.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Weak. I'm gonna buy a castle so I can have my own troll dwarf army.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mind the walrus posted:

But can a Brit write Freddie Prince Junior well, or is that also a fundamental problem?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Still a bit more tolerable when early 00s comics would constantly do ignorant parodies of the W. Bush administration to add "dimension, especially Mark Millar. loving Scot. Were US writers making lovely ignorant Tony Blair parables in 2000 AD back then?

Does 2000 AD have any American writers,

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't a joke, Onmi, Donald Trump is really our next potential president. I'm sorry you have to find out this way.

No I understand that, and if you have one villain in the marvel universe pull a trump, then fine, When you keep doing it with new villains, it stops being funny and it just becomes eyerolling cringe. It's not funny or interesting to read about a joke you've told 6 times in the past month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's not funny or interesting to read about a joke you've told 6 times in the past month.

That's also how we feel about Donald Trump. :smith:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ImpAtom posted:

That's also how we feel about Donald Drumpf. :smith:

That's okay, ImpAtom, you're welcome to hide in our northern utopia if the Trumpocalypse happens.:canada:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ensign_Ricky posted:

That's okay, ImpAtom, you're welcome to hide in our northern utopia if the Trumpocalypse happens.:canada:

Can the rest of us come too? :ohdear:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

No I understand that, and if you have one villain in the marvel universe pull a trump, then fine, When you keep doing it with new villains, it stops being funny and it just becomes eyerolling cringe. It's not funny or interesting to read about a joke you've told 6 times in the past month.

The problem is more that Trump is a generic comic book "political" villain. All those stupid, shallow government officials who are hilariously corrupt and openly selfish? All those elections where one side speaks to hatred and poo poo to get the voting block riled up, before Captain America runs in and gives a speech about how America is weak, and needs protecting? Saturday morning cartoon characters who are TOO obviously on-the-nose greedy and cowardly and all talk to be real, yet still have a ring of truth?

Those are what Trump is like in real life. Truth is stranger than fiction, and Trump is stranger still.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Trump is literally BTTF2 bad 1986 Biff Tannen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Still a better choice than Hillary.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

Of course. He's still the point man doing the delivery and he's consistently shown that he isn't--and can't be--on the same wavelength of a native US citizen. That's not a personal knock, mind you. Put Jon Stewart in Johannesburg doing a show and watch the same thing happen.

Like that John Oliver?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Can the rest of us come too? :ohdear:

Yeah, we got lots of room.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think you owe the character of Alternate 1986 Biff Tannen an apology.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That version of Biff Tannen was based on Trump, you dumbos.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lurdiak posted:

That version of Biff Tannen was based on Drumpf, you dumbos.

And yet it still couldn't predict the levels of insanity we have reached.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I got a couch.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got a couch.

Does it fold out?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Does it fold out?

Sadly no but I have floor space for air matresses if you Americans don't mind being woken up at 4am by a very curious rabbit

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kurui Reiten posted:

The problem is more that Trump is a generic comic book "political" villain. All those stupid, shallow government officials who are hilariously corrupt and openly selfish? All those elections where one side speaks to hatred and poo poo to get the voting block riled up, before Captain America runs in and gives a speech about how America is weak, and needs protecting? Saturday morning cartoon characters who are TOO obviously on-the-nose greedy and cowardly and all talk to be real, yet still have a ring of truth?

Those are what Trump is like in real life. Truth is stranger than fiction, and Trump is stranger still.

Okay. I understand that. But it's still lost all of its humor value and become groan inducing. I am not american, and comic books used to be able to tell a globally interesting or funny story. Things like this, that's fine as a joke in one book, but when multiple books run through the same joke, it stops being funny, it just becomes stagnant and boring.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Onmi posted:

Okay. I understand that. But it's still lost all of its humor value and become groan inducing. I am not american, and comic books used to be able to tell a globally interesting or funny story. Things like this, that's fine as a joke in one book, but when multiple books run through the same joke, it stops being funny, it just becomes stagnant and boring.

Out of curiosity, because I haven't really been paying attention, how many Trumpalogues has Marvel done in the past year? So far I've only seen the MODOK version. What others have there been?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
harf darf I'm Trumper Dumper Doooo gets boring as poo poo around the 4th iteration.

Here's a funny comic panel from an awesome horror series called Nailbiter, which is entirely about a cannibal serial killer helping a smalltown female cop track down other serial killers. This is in the first volume, too:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sadly no but I have floor space for air matresses if you Americans don't mind being woken up at 4am by a very curious rabbit

I'd love to be woken up by a curious rabbit, that sounds cute as gently caress. As opposed to Trumps America where I'll be woken up by wild, hungry dogs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd love to be woken up by a curious rabbit, that sounds cute as gently caress. As opposed to Drumpfs America where I'll be woken up by wild, hungry dogs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As a rabbit owner it's actually nowhere near as cute as you imagine because at 6am it'll be hungry and just dump its furry body on your face to resolve the matter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

As a rabbit owner it's actually nowhere near as cute as you imagine because at 6am it'll be hungry and just dump its furry body on your face to resolve the matter.

Are you sure it's not a cat?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you sure it's not a cat?

Maybe it's the legendary cabbit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When people ask me how a rabbit is as a pet I tell them it's like having an autistic cat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So... A cat?

e: was looking for a funny panel with Dex-Starr in it, but found this on the way

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 29, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Especially since many southerners will not survive the winter.

I expect most will perish by Thanksgiving.

Canadian Thanksgiving.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

When people ask me how a rabbit is as a pet I tell them it's like having an autistic cat.

A more destructive autistic cat.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd love to be woken up by a curious rabbit, that sounds cute as gently caress. As opposed to Trumps America where I'll be woken up by wild, hungry dogs.

Oh, she's hungry. Hungry for your clothes and expensive electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Does 2000 AD have any American writers,

Michael Fleisher wrote some stories for 2000 AD in the early nineties, at least.