Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

And then crossbows are a whole extra level of stupid.

To fight stupid with stupid. There are alot of stupid things in modded minecraft with a stupid amount of HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

Tinker's Construct? It may look a little daunting to start (and it certainly is more involved than just sticking 3 iron and 2 wood in a crafting grid), but it's also the source of some of the most overpowered tools in modded Minecraft. Tools that never break, hammers that mine in 3x3 squares, axes cut down entire trees, and swords that pierce armor or let you jump higher.

And then crossbows are a whole extra level of stupid.
When I tried it in larger modpacks like Agrarian Skies 2, for some reason I wasn't getting the starter book so I had no idea how any of it was supposed to work. Now that I've looked stuff up in wikis, I can see how it can get pretty nuts.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If I were to toss BFSR up on the Minecraft forums, what are the chances I'll get into mod author permission drama? I am assuming in this day and age, the only one that's really going to get me any poo poo is JourneyMap, and I assume that's mostly from not having the donate screen built into the 1.7.10 release yet. Or did that change? I know categorically they're not supposed to ask anything, but such is life.

BFSR was just very quiet after I made the major update, and I don't think that's from... superior product Q&A.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If I were to toss BFSR up on the Minecraft forums, what are the chances I'll get into mod author permission drama? I am assuming in this day and age, the only one that's really going to get me any poo poo is JourneyMap, and I assume that's mostly from not having the donate screen built into the 1.7.10 release yet. Or did that change? I know categorically they're not supposed to ask anything, but such is life.

BFSR was just very quiet after I made the major update, and I don't think that's from... superior product Q&A.

Just ignore people who whine about that. Hardly anyone actually cares and the few who do have no leg to stand on so it doesn't matter. You should post it there

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
While watching Direwolfs Regrowth series I discovered something very strange. After googling it, it seems that NEI adds the ability to just mouse over and scroll while in a chest to move items.
I dont think I have ever heard anyone mention this before or seen it previously. But its a game changer for me.

Hmm, lets me add items to enderios inventory panel but not take from it.

Also Ars Magicas illusion blocks are not working quite right for me. Maybe its because I have all graphics to lowest. But this is the only time where they have actually looked like the blocks they are put next to but are giving me this bizarre Escher-like view. Most of the time they are invisible or purple/foggy.

They have 3 different types of this block and none seem to work for me.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
Is there a reason Tinker's Construct smeltery drains are such a trainwreck in the 1.10.2 version? I can never seem to connect anything to the sides to pump liquids in. On one modpack every variety of pipe I connected would instantly crash the server and require me to dig through the world file with NBTExplorer to yank out the pipe as a TickingTileEntity. If it doesn't crash, it just refuses to connect like the Immersive Engineering pipes. Are they intended to only accept liquid into the top part of the block? Or have they been changed to only work with faucets on the sides?

Edit: Inserting from the top works, but using an Immersive Engineering barrel, it crashes the server when the fluid storage in the smeltery tries to overfill. :argh:
I would do unspeakable things for an option to automatically handle any TickingTileEntity exception by breaking the offending block.
From a bit of research it seems like there's a lack of compatibility between the Tcon fluid code and other mods, which haven't updated their fluid code yet. I really want to like 1.10 modpacks for the new mods, working boats and newer content, but this sort of stuff drives me up the wall.

General Specific fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 18, 2016

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

General Specific posted:

Is there a reason Tinker's Construct smeltery drains are such a trainwreck in the 1.10.2 version? I can never seem to connect anything to the sides to pump liquids in. On one modpack every variety of pipe I connected would instantly crash the server and require me to dig through the world file with NBTExplorer to yank out the pipe as a TickingTileEntity. If it doesn't crash, it just refuses to connect like the Immersive Engineering pipes. Are they intended to only accept liquid into the top part of the block? Or have they been changed to only work with faucets on the sides?

Edit: Inserting from the top works, but using an Immersive Engineering barrel, it crashes the server when the fluid storage in the smeltery tries to overfill. :argh:
I would do unspeakable things for an option to automatically handle any TickingTileEntity exception by breaking the offending block.
From a bit of research it seems like there's a lack of compatibility between the Tcon fluid code and other mods, which haven't updated their fluid code yet. I really want to like 1.10 modpacks for the new mods, working boats and newer content, but this sort of stuff drives me up the wall.
I've had success using EnderIO fluid conduits, which can also pull and insert fluids from the sides of the basins/tables.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sssssso apparently GT5U added a machine called the Seismic Prospector, which can scan for ores (and under-bedrock oil only accessible via the Oil Rig). I'm not sure what the range is for it. It might just be one chunk, but that's still better than digging. It looks like you can make one once you have some steel... and it runs on explosives. There are four different types of explosives in Gregtech. Dynamite, glyceryl, tnt, itnt.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I put BFSR up on the official forums in the mod packs subforum. It was immediately flagged as spam, which I assume has to do with my low post count. We'll see.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Sssssso apparently GT5U added a machine called the Seismic Prospector, which can scan for ores (and under-bedrock oil only accessible via the Oil Rig). I'm not sure what the range is for it. It might just be one chunk, but that's still better than digging. It looks like you can make one once you have some steel... and it runs on explosives. There are four different types of explosives in Gregtech. Dynamite, glyceryl, tnt, itnt.
Gregtech continues to develop tedium meta.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh hey the IC2 OD Scanner scans all blocks in a 5x5 below you and reports how much ore is down there. So that's another way to scout out veins, but not as wide an area as the seismic prospector(which is presumably 16x16, the entire chunk). Much more spammable, though. The OV Scanner does the same thing but evaluates ore based on how "valuable" it is and the list on the wiki is rather restrictive compared to gregtech. I wonder if it's usable?

Edit: Apparently yes, it works with gregtech ore, but the value variance is not very high so it's not a very meaningful reading.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 19, 2016

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

McFrugal posted:

Oh hey the IC2 OD Scanner scans all blocks in a 5x5 below you and reports how much ore is down there. So that's another way to scout out veins, but not as wide an area as the seismic prospector(which is presumably 16x16, the entire chunk). Much more spammable, though. The OV Scanner does the same thing but evaluates ore based on how "valuable" it is and the list on the wiki is rather restrictive compared to gregtech. I wonder if it's usable?

Edit: Apparently yes, it works with gregtech ore, but the value variance is not very high so it's not a very meaningful reading.

Its been a long time since I messed to GT, but the best method was to use the auto drill thing with no upgrades to just dig straight down to bed rock from the surface every 3 chunks. Its basically a core sample to let you know what ore types are in the chunk block.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

General Specific posted:

You mean like this, from config/forge.cfg?

quote:

# Set this to true to remove any Entity that throws an error in its update method instead of closing the server and reporting a crash log. BE WARNED THIS COULD SCREW UP EVERYTHING USE SPARINGLY WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES.
B:removeErroringEntities=false

# Set this to true to remove any TileEntity that throws an error in its update method instead of closing the server and reporting a crash log. BE WARNED THIS COULD SCREW UP EVERYTHING USE SPARINGLY WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES.
B:removeErroringTileEntities=false

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

lolmer posted:

You mean like this, from config/forge.cfg?

THANK YOU. This is exactly what I hoped for.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hello, I'm getting interested back in minecraft after a couple years of not paying much attention and my question is what power mod do people use these days? I saw that Thermal Expansion is gone, and although RFTools seems awesome for machinery and such, it doesn't really have much power generation and storage by itself as far as I can tell. What do people use for power generation and fluid handling these days?

I checked the "energy" section of Curse and I'm confused because there's a couple small ones but doesn't seem to be anything that popular these days?

Daynab fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 19, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Oh hay the OD and OV scanners, If you accidentally punch anything with a scanner in hand, it breaks into nothingness.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

Oh hay the OD and OV scanners, If you accidentally punch anything with a scanner in hand, it breaks into nothingness.

Wow, that sure is IC2.

Hagop posted:

Its been a long time since I messed to GT, but the best method was to use the auto drill thing with no upgrades to just dig straight down to bed rock from the surface every 3 chunks. Its basically a core sample to let you know what ore types are in the chunk block.

Well you can do that to get a sample from a 1x1 column, or you can dig down manually and effectively get a sample from a 5-block cross-shaped pattern, which is muuuuuch more likely to find ore that exists below you. The only problem is potential death by lava or ravine (or general monsters if you go down naked).

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Daynab posted:

Hello, I'm getting interested back in minecraft after a couple years of not paying much attention and my question is what power mod do people use these days? I saw that Thermal Expansion is gone, and although RFTools seems awesome for machinery and such, it doesn't really have much power generation and storage by itself as far as I can tell. What do people use for power generation and fluid handling these days?

I checked the "energy" section of Curse and I'm confused because there's a couple small ones but doesn't seem to be anything that popular these days?

These are the major tech mods for Minecraft 1.10, each having their own (mostly interchangeable) power generation:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

lolmer posted:

These are the major tech mods for Minecraft 1.10, each having their own (mostly interchangeable) power generation:

Hmmm, thanks! I guess I'll go for enderIO or NeoTech since they're the ones that appear the most TE-like. Rest are either no RF or very niche...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Daynab posted:

Hmmm, thanks! I guess I'll go for enderIO or NeoTech since they're the ones that appear the most TE-like. Rest are either no RF or very niche...

IMO, Immersive Engineering is good for early-mid game power gen, and EIO, Big Reactors, and Advanced Generators for mid-late game gen. Advanced Engineering has some compatibility mods like Immersive Integration and the like that help with cross mod compatibility, and each mod usually has some way of converting one type of power to another.

You could also try Botania, if you're up for a flavor switch. It's a tech mod disguised as a magic mod, with its own power system, but I'd recommend throwing Technomancy in with it as well, for the mana exchanger. The mana exchanger pumps mana out of the mana pools and into any liquid holding pipe or container as mana condensate for more compact storage. Mana as a power source in that mod is more of a "make what you need as you need it" thing, instead of a "set and forget" sort of thing, and a lot of people don't seem to get that. However, you can make some very interesting setups, such as this farm, which uses mana to automatically make trees, harvest the leaves and wood, turn the leaves into more mana to power the setup, and plant the saplings that fall. The logs, with a couple of extra steps, can be made into charcoal blocks to create even more mana, for a fully self sustained power setup.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

lolmer posted:

Mekanism is in 1.10 also, and it's a feature rich tech mod.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay so I'm just getting back into modded Minecraft after a long hiatus, partially from the game in general (when I stopped playing modded the Technic Launcher had just become A Thing) and after trying out a few modpacks I've been increasing annoyed at the UI modifying stuff.

Most specifically WAILA, which seems to do nothing but waste my time (if it's vanilla, I'm well familiar with what the blocks look like, and if it's not I'd prefer to find out by actually interacting with it) and honestly feels kind of... not minecraftish? The problem is I can't figure out how to strip it out or disable it from modpacks that include it, or, frequently, even be able to tell if it's included in a modpack before I start it up.

So tell me thread, am I stuck here, or is there something easy I can do to just rip the guts out of this annoyance?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Holy poo poo making an Alveary is a SERIOUS UNDERTAKING. You need 8 royal jelly, 8 pollen cluster, 5 honey/honeydew, and 16 beeswax for each alveary block. You need 27 alveary blocks, so that's 216 jelly/pollen. The only way to get royal jelly is from Imperial bees, the only way to get the "pollen cluster" is from Industrial bees. They don't produce these ingredients very fast even with frames helping out.

Kwyndig posted:

Okay so I'm just getting back into modded Minecraft after a long hiatus, partially from the game in general (when I stopped playing modded the Technic Launcher had just become A Thing) and after trying out a few modpacks I've been increasing annoyed at the UI modifying stuff.

Most specifically WAILA, which seems to do nothing but waste my time (if it's vanilla, I'm well familiar with what the blocks look like, and if it's not I'd prefer to find out by actually interacting with it) and honestly feels kind of... not minecraftish? The problem is I can't figure out how to strip it out or disable it from modpacks that include it, or, frequently, even be able to tell if it's included in a modpack before I start it up.

So tell me thread, am I stuck here, or is there something easy I can do to just rip the guts out of this annoyance?

You can easily just turn off WAILA rather than ripping it out. Numpad 0 is the config button for it, iirc, and numpad 1 is generally the show/hide button.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

IMO, Immersive Engineering is good for early-mid game power gen, and EIO, Big Reactors, and Advanced Generators for mid-late game gen. Advanced Engineering has some compatibility mods like Immersive Integration and the like that help with cross mod compatibility, and each mod usually has some way of converting one type of power to another.

You could also try Botania, if you're up for a flavor switch. It's a tech mod disguised as a magic mod, with its own power system, but I'd recommend throwing Technomancy in with it as well, for the mana exchanger. The mana exchanger pumps mana out of the mana pools and into any liquid holding pipe or container as mana condensate for more compact storage. Mana as a power source in that mod is more of a "make what you need as you need it" thing, instead of a "set and forget" sort of thing, and a lot of people don't seem to get that. However, you can make some very interesting setups, such as this farm, which uses mana to automatically make trees, harvest the leaves and wood, turn the leaves into more mana to power the setup, and plant the saplings that fall. The logs, with a couple of extra steps, can be made into charcoal blocks to create even more mana, for a fully self sustained power setup.

It also has its own ore gen, so you can use mana to do all your mining. The potato farm is awesome for mass mana gen (toss in agricraft and you dont even need dispensers to replant).

I always use botania as a sort of secondry power source.

Oh, there is also the mass chicken farm that once set up can produce a ton of mana. that one is pretty easy to set up too.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I think I'm definitely going to go EnderIO and maybe RFTools, but Botania does sound really fun and cool... do you think both can live side by side pretty well and be compatible with stuff or are they kind of exclusive?

Also I'm going to be playing with one or two people who have never played minecraft so I don't want to overcomplicate things (like Mekanism, which is awesome but overwhelming)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Daynab posted:

Also I'm going to be playing with one or two people who have never played minecraft so I don't want to overcomplicate things (like Mekanism, which is awesome but overwhelming)
I know you want to do 1.10 mods, but I have to plug Baby's First Space Race for this circumstance if you can tolerate 1.7.10. I have that set up for people that are completely new. It has a chapter dedicated to vanilla mechanics.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mek isnt bad, you can stay at 2x ore processing without using the wiki, even 3 is ok. Once you hit 4 or 5x, then you have to bust out the wiki.

I would say ender IO and rftools go together well. I often use the ender conduits for the rftools machines. Though i typically only use rftools as the way of making new dimensions.

Botania i would say is seperate. It doesnt have any pipes or cables. You can pretty much do everything but make new dimensions with just botania (and 2x + ore stuff).

if you want a garden look that is also a fully functional tech base, botania is the way to go.

But that said, there is nothing stopping you from having a botania power generator running a full enderio/rftools/mek base.
Or botania ore gen feeding directing into your mek/EIO/rftools.

Or just a mix of everything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kwyndig posted:

Is the scale on your GUI wacky? Try adjusting the setting in your in-game options, I like mine on "Large" - the default size had WAILA taking up like an eigth of the screen. But with a lot of modded minecraft, WAILA is really important to see things about blocks like power status, AE2 channels being used, how much molten iron is in the casting basin right now, etc, is really handy.

Edit:

Meskhenet posted:

Mek isnt bad, you can stay at 2x ore processing without using the wiki, even 3 is ok. Once you hit 4 or 5x, then you have to bust out the wiki.

I would say ender IO and rftools go together well. I often use the ender conduits for the rftools machines. Though i typically only use rftools as the way of making new dimensions.

Botania i would say is seperate. It doesnt have any pipes or cables. You can pretty much do everything but make new dimensions with just botania (and 2x + ore stuff).

if you want a garden look that is also a fully functional tech base, botania is the way to go.

But that said, there is nothing stopping you from having a botania power generator running a full enderio/rftools/mek base.
Or botania ore gen feeding directing into your mek/EIO/rftools.

Or just a mix of everything.

I just want to plug Project Ozone 2 (and also FTB:Infinity Evolved Skyblock) as fun as heck options for people that tended to just go for a couple mods when they played the big modpacks.

The progression in both of them forces you to branch out into mods that you may have not touched before - like PO2 requiring the Assembly Table to make any of the Thermal Expansion machines, and steel requiring use of the Coke Oven / Blast Furnace multiblocks, which I had always skipped in favor of the alloy smelter.

I don't have the patience for building in mid-air, but I'm really enjoying PO2 in a regular world, but using Ex Nihilo to generate my materials instead of going mining. I just take advantage of having a stable ground to build on.

Devor fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 20, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I haven't played mods since 1.7. Do the 1.1 versions of the mods have any significant new stuff or are they pretty much just straight ports?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

McFrugal posted:

Gregtech was a clusterfuck the last time I heard about it in '13, how the gently caress is it still around and even MORE of a clusterfuck? :psyduck:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Let me tell you all bout the words 'vision' and 'balance'.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

I haven't played mods since 1.7. Do the 1.1 versions of the mods have any significant new stuff or are they pretty much just straight ports?
Mekanism's early tier stuff is the same, but it added a ton of later tier things. It also greatly improved client and server side performance over the course of 1.7.

There are some interesting new mods. Immersive Engineering, if you haven't played with it yet, and Environmental Tech are both pretty cool. E. Tech adds worthwhile multi-block solar, and it has a wand thing that builds the multi-block for you if you have the parts in your inventory. It also adds MFR laser drill type stuff for both clay/dirt type blocks and ore separately.

There's Psi which is by the person who made Botania. It's like programming and engineering meets a magic mod in a kind of puzzley way. It lets you do neat things.

RFTools keeps expanding and adding new stuff, and it has throughout 1.7's lifespan.

There's an AE clone or two. Nothing too exciting there.

Ticon rewrote a bunch of stuff. Materials have different properties now, you can't add modifiers anymore except through thaumium/paper as a material, there's no more RF tools I think. It seems like a naive attempt at balancing it more than anything, but the reality is people had dumb ideas about what was imbalanced about the mod to begin with. Because it's just as strong as ever.

I'm sure there's much more that I am forgetting or not familiar with.

Honestly, 1.7.10 is still better than 1.10. Although 1.10 is certainly as strong as 1.6.x was. And there's probably loads of new stuff since you last played 1.7. It's also reaching a problem point where 1.10 is all that's getting new versions of currently updated mods, but 1.7.10 has mods that still update but haven't ported to 1.10, and there are mods for 1.7.10 that are not updated or ported yet that are excellent.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 20, 2016

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
1.10 also has Better With Mods which is really great because Better Than Wolves actually has a ton of neat ideas and it's nice to be able to mess around with it in a modern MC version (BTW requires MC 1.5.2 lol) and have mod compatibility. It's like a view into an alternate timeline where FlowerChild didn't go completely batshit reveal that he was completely batshit all along.

Mechanical power is really fun :allears:

Edit: Vazkii is resuming Botania development soon too, and plans to add new features. Right off the bat I know that the next official version will have the Elven Portal consume mana per transaction rather than per tick, so at the very least it will be more streamlined to gently caress around with even if you've done it before.

Last time I checked Ender IO also made the interesting decision of only using Iron and Gold in its recipes from 1.9.4 onward, so there were no extra ores it added. That kind of made it feel fresh last time I messed around with it.

Out of all the tech mods I'd say that Immersive Engineering has really come of age. Back in 1.7.10 it was one to keep an eye on, and now it's really come into its own. I could see basing a pack around Better With Mods and Immersive Engineering as the core tech.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 20, 2016

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Khorne posted:

Ticon rewrote a bunch of stuff. Materials have different properties now, you can't add modifiers anymore except through thaumium/paper as a material, there's no more RF tools I think. It seems like a naive attempt at balancing it more than anything, but the reality is people had dumb ideas about what was imbalanced about the mod to begin with. Because it's just as strong as ever.
The 1.10 TiCon is arguably weaker than the 1.7.10, also suffers greatly from not having the addons like ExtraTiC and IguanaTweaks. I think the issue driving the "rebalancing" is because boni is mostly listening to people on r/feedthebeast and the majority there seem to be tedium spergs who insist the game needs to be played the way they play it and no gently caress off Big Reactors is OP as gently caress I'd rather have my lag inducing 40x wood power generator setup thank you very much TPS be damned.

Speaking of Big Reactors, there is Extreme Reactors, a 1.10 port that's almost a 1:1 port of BR. The author has said they want to add to it and develop the mod further, so it'll either become more decent or flop horribly into tedium central. Also without Gelid Cryo or Resonant Ender, you're limited to diamond blocks as coolant. poo poo am I missing TE since upgrading.

Fortis posted:

Out of all the tech mods I'd say that Immersive Engineering has really come of age. Back in 1.7.10 it was one to keep an eye on, and now it's really come into its own. I could see basing a pack around Better With Mods and Immersive Engineering as the core tech.
IE is a really solid mod that I love the aesthetic of and how it handles multiblock structures. It's only downfall is that, while it has really decent early game and late game power gen and machines, it's mid game is the real weak point of the mod. You're limited to diesel generators, with a setup providing the biodiesel needed, or spamming the low passive RF generators. Watermill generators are really cool looking, though.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Daynab posted:

What you have to understand is that mods are only beginning to pick up speed on a post-1.7 version of Minecraft; development of mods in 1.7 is still going to this day. 1.8 changed the way blocks were rendered that left a lot of modders baffled and 1.9 was announced soon into it so they figured they'd wait for that and its update to how items are held. But then 1.10 got tossed out really quickly too, and is looking stable, and devs are becoming more comfortable with the new system. But it is still very new and it's going to be a long time before 1.10 has a fraction of the mod development that 1.7 has.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

TBH I think 1.7's main advantage was just being the go to version for so many years, if 1.10 could have that amount of time we'd be saying the same thing about that in 3 or so years time.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

The 1.10 TiCon is arguably weaker than the 1.7.10, also suffers greatly from not having the addons like ExtraTiC and IguanaTweaks. I think the issue driving the "rebalancing" is because boni is mostly listening to people on r/feedthebeast and the majority there seem to be tedium spergs who insist the game needs to be played the way they play it and no gently caress off Big Reactors is OP as gently caress I'd rather have my lag inducing 40x wood power generator setup thank you very much TPS be damned.

The only thing I wanted IguanaTweaks for was being able to upgrade the parts of my existing tool (e.g. upgrade my stone pickaxe head to bronze), which is now part of vanilla TiC. :)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

lolmer posted:

The only thing I wanted IguanaTweaks for was being able to upgrade the parts of my existing tool (e.g. upgrade my stone pickaxe head to bronze), which is now part of vanilla TiC. :)
The sharpening kits are a great addition to 1.10 TiCon, as well. I don't think replacing the part of a tool that decides mining tier will change it anymore though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Is the scale on your GUI wacky? Try adjusting the setting in your in-game options, I like mine on "Large" - the default size had WAILA taking up like an eigth of the screen. But with a lot of modded minecraft, WAILA is really important to see things about blocks like power status, AE2 channels being used, how much molten iron is in the casting basin right now, etc, is really handy.

Edit:

I just want to plug Project Ozone 2 (and also FTB:Infinity Evolved Skyblock) as fun as heck options for people that tended to just go for a couple mods when they played the big modpacks.

The progression in both of them forces you to branch out into mods that you may have not touched before - like PO2 requiring the Assembly Table to make any of the Thermal Expansion machines, and steel requiring use of the Coke Oven / Blast Furnace multiblocks, which I had always skipped in favor of the alloy smelter.

I don't have the patience for building in mid-air, but I'm really enjoying PO2 in a regular world, but using Ex Nihilo to generate my materials instead of going mining. I just take advantage of having a stable ground to build on.

I was/am playing a PO2 frozen world. I sort of rushed to the transmutation table and even though i dont have any of the HQM open for it i can now just build anything. It sort of killed the pack as all im doing in crafting stuff to mark it off in the book :/

which is a pity as i actually want to do some galactic and IE, but there is 0 reason to do it :/

I even surrounded my base (which sprawled out a fair way) with cursed earth. I have a sacred rubber off to one side. massive holes and random junk that chance cubes made, and all my stupid fluid cows are off on the horizon for some reason...

Here's a tip though. If your sick of ex nihilo, the orechid from botania uses the GoG version, so its 8 petals and super basic to make. Pretty easy to set up some mana gen for it and start harvesting real ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

Here's a tip though. If your sick of ex nihilo, the orechid from botania uses the GoG version, so its 8 petals and super basic to make. Pretty easy to set up some mana gen for it and start harvesting real ore.

Yeah, I hopped over to the Orechid because I couldn't figure out any other way to find a Ruby to get my Assembly Table up and running. Seems very cheap mana-wise. I get about 8 blocks of ore per bucket of lava. Really good deal. I just want to figure out how to get my automation of the block placement/removal - I think AE2 can do that with formation and annihilation planes.