Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

It may have to do with how the site calculates win/loss. Symmetra has the highest ratio despite clearly not being the strongest hero in the game, likely because people switch off of her a lot of the time after losing the first point so she isn't really around to lose if the defense doesn't hold. I'm not sure how that would translate for D.Va exactly but it's possible something similar is going on, where people switch off of her after failing to push successfully.

Mercy is also the most-losing hero which I mean, c'mon, clearly the list isn't really worth taking as any sort of realistic tier chart or whatever. Without knowing the methodology behind it it's pretty much impossible to infer anything from any of the aggregate statistics.

Maybe there's more people like me in beta who only played her on Lijiang where the map is pretty favorable. I don't play her at all now because I don't find her fun but she's solid-ish there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

RugClockVexx posted:

I think engaging Bastion/turrets has something to do with the bystander effect. As in there are 6 of you and you expect someone else to do it. The different classes may exacerbate the effect since a healer will definitely expect a Genji or Phara to be on that poo poo. I've been in a few games that have been struggling with a turret and when I hop in the hero screen to switch to Genji, someone else will be playing as him and will not be effective at all. Even though he isn't doing poo poo as Genji I always hesitate in switching over because of class roles and I don't want to "unbalance" our team.

Yeah, I run into that myself. No so much with Genji (I suck with that guy), but with Junkrat. Even in the middle of the match, I'll notice the enemy is constantly grouped up and ripe for grenading, and go to switch, and see we have a Junkrat and be all "WTF is this guy doing all match?"

The other problem is that other picks lead me to pick characters I'm not great at, which makes us less effective. I wish I could get put into a lower MMR based on what character I'm attempting to try out.

Edit: Also don't like ending up playing Lucio, he is boring as gently caress, but my highest win% character. :(

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FAUXTON posted:

No poo poo, if you're not using the jets as soon as they're off cooldown then you're doing it wrong and don't know a god drat thing.

Yeah I have quite a few games with her now and I've decided that she is quite strong in her own right, but not a true tank. She can't protect you very well because her damage falls off so fast, but she can fly in, knock someone into a wall/corner and unload on them. She wins most fights against other tanks, crushes turrets and is almost impossible to kill.

Sucks when you run into a Mei who slows you down and makes it impossible to close the gap, or Widowmaker who constantly head shots you.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CapMoron posted:

Yeah, I run into that myself. No so much with Genji (I suck with that guy), but with Junkrat. Even in the middle of the match, I'll notice the enemy is constantly grouped up and ripe for grenading, and go to switch, and see we have a Junkrat and be all "WTF is this guy doing all match?"

The other problem is that other picks lead me to pick characters I'm not great at, which makes us less effective. I wish I could get put into a lower MMR based on what character I'm attempting to try out.

Edit: Also don't like ending up playing Lucio, he is boring as gently caress, but my highest win% character. :(

This is my A+ Super Secret tactic for offense. I play whoever up until the last point, especially stuff like Hanamura/Anubis/Volskaya where the defense will be double bastion/Rein/double Torb or whatever. If there hasn't been a Junkrat all game and suddenly exploding cricket balls are coming from every corner the defense always just panics and gets rolled on.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Does joining a game like 30 seconds before your team loses count as a loss on your stats?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CapMoron posted:

This is really one of my biggest peeves about the game, short of setting up custom matches there's no way to get used to a new character without throwing the game for your team.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Sometimes the little dumb things in this game are super frustrating.

Just had a game as 76 where I just absolutely dominated everyone. I ended the game with a team kill like 3 seconds before the game ended and we won. I had 4 gold medals.

What's my little card say when it pops up for everyone to vote on? 8 helix rocket kills.

Come on mannnnn

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I had some amazing games last night. A full team of friends.

2 POGs really stand out: Enemy DVA self destructed after launching their unmanned mech over 3 walls to a chokepoint nowhere near the fight, killing nearly our entire team on their way to the capture zone. It was like those Call of Duty knife/tomohawk kill across the map videos, except you just seem them bail out and watch as the mech sails off over a wall, and a couple of seconds later a big list of kills come up.

The other was when we fought off a good push for a point, killing their entire team bar 1 on the point but all of us bar 1 dying in the process. Their sole survivor was a Mercy. They rezzed their entire team on the point.
Half a second later our sole survivor popped out of cover with a perfect view of the entire area. They were McRee. It's High Noon! Dropped the lot.

It was the most "lol, no you motherfucking will not" thing I've seen in Overwatch so far.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just played a solo QM where 2 people picked 76, a third wavered, and we all said gently caress it and went 76.

Team rad dad dominated:

I know 76 is a solid all around hero, but I can't believe we pulled it off against a pretty good team. We stuck together, rode the platforms, and rained down death.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I can see how this would own bones on payload, just stand on the cart and rain hell from inside a warm, snuggly biotic coccoon.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I once almost lost a game to a six 76 team. But I found Mei to be a decent counter to that retardation.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a cat on an apple posted:

Keep in mind that right now the majority of games are played with the equivalent of pre-Season 1 League of Legends team compositions, e.g. everyone picks whatever the hell they want with no rhyme or reason as to if the team actually needs it.

I see Lucio and Zenyatta as support heroes that excel at turning ongoing fights completely on their heads. Lucio does this by having the ability to heal 120 HP/3s and having what is basically a "we win the teamfight" ability in Sound Barrier. He's also insanely mobile and has one of the few displacements in the game, and it's very spammable. This makes him incredible at skirmishing, and allows him to help the team extremely actively. Zenyatta on the other hand should be considered as one of the biggest threats. He has 150 HP for a drat good reason - his left click deals 140 damage on a headshot against a Discorded target, and has a 2.5 rps. He also has the highest raw healing in the game, at 100 HP/s in an AoE. While it doesn't protect against one-shot threats like Lucio does, it's a huge amount of healing and takes specific coordinated focus fire to kill someone through it.

Mercy and Symmetra, on the other hand, have Ultimates that are less about winning the current fight, but more getting a swift second shot at another fight, with their associated downsides. Mercy's Ult, while having instant feedback, leaves everyone incredibly vulnerable; Symmetra's Ult allows for more flexibility in regrouping, but it isn't instant.

The reason why Mercy seems better than Lucio is because of how bad most of the players are, teamfight wipes happen frequently to really dumb poo poo like Junkrat tires or just a Bastion in the corner, and a passive Mercy reviving everyone instantly after the only threatening thing is gone has immediate feedback on the impact, whereas Lucio and Zenyatta have to be preemptive in using their power to salvage idiots, and even then won't always be enough because of how uncoordinated solo queue is.

You're right, and my position is, at least in quick play, that most teams aren't coordinated so that mercy impact because of poor play is greater than the team smart enough to retreat to heal with Lucio.

It's one of those things where you're technically right but the way the chips fall it tends not to matter, and Mercy ends up being far better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm glad I stopped playing McCree, to be honest. A blind, deaf, and dumb ape could play him effectively. Right click, shift then right click for tanks. E then right click for everything else. Congrats, you're MVP and can shut down anything that comes your way.

I'm actually astonished if one uses their primary attack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbot posted:

I'm glad I stopped playing McCree, to be honest. A blind, deaf, and dumb ape could play him effectively. Right click, shift then right click for tanks. E then right click for everything else. Congrats, you're MVP and can shut down anything that comes your way.

I'm actually astonished if one uses their primary attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

McCree isn't no top-tier, son. He's McCree tier. There's the tiers then there's McCree, then Widowmaker sits atop that throne of poo poo.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I just don't play McCree because I dislike his relative lack of mobility (yeah combat roll exists but it has a pretty long cooldown and it's an invaluable 'oh poo poo' button so I don't like using it purely for movement).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Had a pretty good game with dva on volskaya defense. Her kit seems better suited for holding a point than anything else now that I think about it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lady Naga posted:

I just don't play McCree because I dislike his relative lack of mobility (yeah combat roll exists but it has a pretty long cooldown and it's an invaluable 'oh poo poo' button so I don't like using it purely for movement).

You must really hate roadhog then

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I don't play Mccree because I always manage to miss the flashbang, most of the time :negative:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I don't even mind his flash but for the amount of damage he deal out with three button presses is quite much (melts down tanks). I think adding a cooldown on his fan and/or making it extremely inaccurate would be ideal. Even Reaper can't put out as much damage as McCree's fan at its maximum effective distance. Reaper's damage falls off pretty fast.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Away all Goats posted:

You must really hate roadhog then

I mean; when you play a 'tank' it's kind of implicit that you're trading mobility for survivability.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
There's something fucky with the way overwatch is rendering.

Playing TF2 I was struck by how dramatically smoother mouselooking was compared to overwatch. I made a sample FRAPs recording of each game @ 60 FPS, both with in-game FPS capped @ 70 in windowed borderless, no vsync, raw input, no motion blur. I was going to step through the frames and see what was happening but I didn't even have to, the overwatch recordings were at 30 FPS. The game was reporting running at a steady 70 FPS while recording, but the playback is a little over 30 FPS. :tinfoil:

The difference in smoothness is visibly noticeable, the frames are not updating as fast as the reported framerate. Someone with different recording software should probably test this out.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Except M2, which will be up by the time you can look at him and he will hit it and then you die.

Except that your average McCree is actually a garbage player who is playing at a MMR above their actual skill because of how broken he is, if you space your mech ejection right you can break the range on Fan, and Mr. Flashbang Crutch will miss all his shots on a small hit box that is actually moving.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

Playing TF2 I was struck by how dramatically smoother mouselooking was compared to overwatch. I made a sample FRAPs recording of each game @ 60 FPS, both with in-game FPS capped @ 70 in windowed borderless, no vsync, raw input, no motion blur. I was going to step through the frames and see what was happening but I didn't even have to, the overwatch recordings were at 30 FPS. The game was reporting running at a steady 70 FPS while recording, but the playback is a little over 30 FPS. :tinfoil:

Did you turn off vysnc but keep on triple buffering? I have no idea if that's the issue, but when I was messing around with my settings last time I tried turning off just vsync and my game immediately felt like 30 fps while reporting 60. Extremely noticeable.

I just turned on vsync again and went on my merry way v:downs:v

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Your Computer posted:

I just turned on vsync again and went on my merry way v:downs:v

HRUGGGGHHHH

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

I once almost lost a game to a six 76 team. But I found Mei to be a decent counter to that retardation.

shields are good at stopping soldier. he doesn't have a great answer to it

Jimbot posted:

I don't even mind his flash but for the amount of damage he deal out with three button presses is quite much (melts down tanks). I think adding a cooldown on his fan and/or making it extremely inaccurate would be ideal. Even Reaper can't put out as much damage as McCree's fan at its maximum effective distance. Reaper's damage falls off pretty fast.

the big problem with mccree to me is his flashbang because it's obnoxious. lowering the fan accuracy wouldn't really help a reaper much, but that's fine since mccree is really the only answer to reaper close up

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

frajaq posted:

I don't play Mccree because I always manage to miss the flashbang, most of the time :negative:

My issue comes from fanning the hammer afterwards. I've recently been making the mistake of trying to score headshots on that maneuver. Like, why would I do that the recoil causes my aim to pull up that's a terrible idea.

I managed to get a Reinhardt POTG somehow; a triple-kill near the end of the game defending on the point, followed by a well-timed emote. Somehow I managed this in the midst of 2 friendly bastions and a Torbjorn, I guess their supreme play of the game potential all blocked eachother out somehow.
https://gfycat.com/FirsthandLeafyArcticseal
I just watched it again and realized that I got really lucky with the timing on that thing because Roadhog interrupted my first try at it and Zenyatta literally just got out of his ult when I got the earthshatter off.

Playing more pugs while gradually lowering my mouse sensitivity, my aim with Pharah's Rockets has been getting increasingly more and more accurate - like I've now had a couple games where my accuracy was over 50%. Though I guess the glut of turrets in some of those games were helping a bit. At least one matchup I had on volskaya pitted me up against 2 torbjorns at once, possibly 3.

edit: example of the above
https://gfycat.com/BackCourteousCaribou

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 6, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manatee Cannon posted:

shields are good at stopping soldier. he doesn't have a great answer to it

Soldier also has a difficult time dealing with burst, especially one-shot mechanics (go figure). He has no good answer to getting hooked by a roadhog and doesn't actually challenge widow in any meaningful way.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Sanctum posted:

The difference in smoothness is visibly noticeable, the frames are not updating as fast as the reported framerate. Someone with different recording software should probably test this out.

Also I don't know what's going on on your end but I'm getting 120 just fine

quote:

2016-06-06 00:12:09 - Overwatch
Frames: 8854 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 147.567 - Min: 124 - Max: 154

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

HRUGGGGHHHH

oh no I should've never admitted that in this thread what have I done :negative:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Your Computer posted:

oh no I should've never admitted that in this thread what have I done :negative:

throW YOUR COMPUTER IN THE TRASH AND EAT YOUR MONITOR YOU SAVAGE

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've played mostly single player FPS games my whole life, so I can't get into the mindset of a support player. I point my Mercy's Magic Medic gun at the good guys instead of the bad guys and pull the trigger, and then when they die I scramble out of there or I get mowed down by whatever killed them. Please, what do I have to do to get good at supporting? If I'm not dealing (and/or soaking up) damage I don't know what to do with myself. But I see the difference a good support makes and I think I should be able to do that if no one else on my pubbie team is willing, as is the case in most games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

heal people that are hurt, change to the damage beam if nobody is, use your ult to revive people constantly because it recharges super fast. her gun is better than you'd think so you can switch to it to defend yourself from hurt/bad players when you're left alone

it's not complicated, it just takes time to get better at keeping out of the way and knowing when to jump to someone that needs health and when not to because you'd die for nothing. a large part of playing mercy is positioning and movement because that's how you stay alive

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Triple-buffered vsync in this game is the laggiest poo poo I've ever experienced

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hashy posted:

Triple-buffered vsync in this game is the laggiest poo poo I've ever experienced

That is literally what triple-buffered vsync does, it'd be like that in any game.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Compared to like TF2 medic, you have to be less aggressive about keeping focus targets alive than you do here, because of aformentioned revives (which also ignore LoS) as well as the lack of overheal protection. Stay back and look behind you often to make sure you got other allies to Shift to if your current buddy gets into trouble or overextends.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A lot of the most scary damage in this game is aoe/cleaves too (genji's blade, lots of ults, etc), which means the Pro Tier TF2 Medic Strat of "weave in and out of your pocket's model to save yourself from people trying to murder you" isn't terribly useful for Mercy. It's still something to consider against certain heroes and in really dire situations, but generally Mercy stays alive by staying really loving far away from her heal target thanks to her gun's insane range.

If you have a Mercy on your team try to stay somewhat spread out and ideally on different terrain heights - One of mercy's biggest survival techniques is doing a 180 and flying up to a teammate perched on a ledge, and if all of your team is on flat ground right on top of you then you can't really escape anywhere. This is another reason to stay far away from your heal target when possible, because if you get ambushed you can immediately fly to them and get away, if not just for a moment. If you're right on top of them all the time then you may not have anywhere to go.

Also if you see someone spamming a reinhardt shield, damage amp them if no one is in immediate danger.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I've played mostly single player FPS games my whole life, so I can't get into the mindset of a support player. I point my Mercy's Magic Medic gun at the good guys instead of the bad guys and pull the trigger, and then when they die I scramble out of there or I get mowed down by whatever killed them. Please, what do I have to do to get good at supporting? If I'm not dealing (and/or soaking up) damage I don't know what to do with myself. But I see the difference a good support makes and I think I should be able to do that if no one else on my pubbie team is willing, as is the case in most games.

You only have to pay a small amount of attention to the guy you're healing as mercy. The most important skill for her is to get on your microphone and call out stuff coming in from odd angles.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I use Reaper to counter McCrees and widowmakers. It's a very simple fact that flashbang has a travel time and wraith form is instant so just bait it out and watch as the scared low skill noob panics around your ghost body before you become corporeal and pop a round or two into his skull.

Widowmakers have a very serious case of the tunnel vision so you just run the outside edges before you teleport to her and give her the ol ghost shotgun till she's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Sometimes, after a lousy couple games, you just want to be able to hold down M1 and murder everyone. So I played Bastion on the defense half of Hollywood. At one point all 6 enemies were on the cap point, and I was sneaking up to do my ultimate. I launched it, turned to face the corner… and Mei ice walled me in. I had no choice but to blast through it and I got 1-2 kills before tank form ran out. They eventually did cap, but we held them back pretty well most of the time.

I had my ult ready and was running out of spawn with under a minute left on the clock. I had a plan. It was to take the elevator up to the tavern roof and use my ult to drop in from above. There was a Genji up there who was shooting at my team. I killed him with Recon mode. He never turned around. Time was running out. I ulted and looked over the edge. I killed McCree and jumped off. I killed Mei. Pharah was floating nearby, I killed her too. That was everyone. They couldn’t get back to the point in time and we won. PotG went to a Junkrat, but I didn’t mind.

Jimbot posted:

I'm glad I stopped playing McCree, to be honest. A blind, deaf, and dumb ape could play him effectively.

I, however, cannot.