Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What baffles me about the TTS takedowns is that they don't just buy the good mods off the designers, take them off the workshop and then re-release them officially for $10 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah some of the scripting on some boards is amazing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fart Car '97 posted:

What baffles me about the TTS takedowns is that they don't just buy the good mods off the designers, take them off the workshop and then re-release them officially for $10 or whatever.

Or move them over to DLC as is and charge the normal $7 DLC charge. I don't have a problem with that, if the mod's good it's worth paying for, especially in these times.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If they're taking down TTS mods with no official digital release then that means some executive somewhere believes that those mods are reducing sales of their $80 board games. And if they believe that, chances are they'll feel the same way about a $10 digital version. I'm sure a lot of them are under pressure to do whatever they can to move the physical stock that no-ones buying because pandemic.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Or move them over to DLC as is and charge the normal $7 DLC charge. I don't have a problem with that, if the mod's good it's worth paying for, especially in these times.

That's what I meant, just buy them and put them up as TTS DLC.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I find it amazing that across all mediums, the Individuals who create just want you to experience the creation while larger entities are more stingy with their content.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
1. What's the thread's opinion on Troyes?

2. Someone who knows something about art, why do I hate the work of Klemens Franz? (And I haven't seen everything he's done, so I'm specifically thinking of how he draws people on the box art for games like At the Gates of Loyang, Agricola, and Caverna. Are there examples of his work that people consider good or at least better?) He's the artist for a lot of well-regarded games, and I realized that I don't own any of them, and I wonder if that's partly because of my visceral dislike of his art; it just seems so amateurish and flat. Are there rabid Klemens Franz fans out there campaigning for him to get work? Is he someone important's nephew? Somebody please explain the Klemens Franz phenomenon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

mellifluous posted:

1. What's the thread's opinion on Troyes?

2. Someone who knows something about art, why do I hate the work of Klemens Franz? (And I haven't seen everything he's done, so I'm specifically thinking of how he draws people on the box art for games like At the Gates of Loyang, Agricola, and Caverna. Are there examples of his work that people consider good or at least better?) He's the artist for a lot of well-regarded games, and I realized that I don't own any of them, and I wonder if that's partly because of my visceral dislike of his art; it just seems so amateurish and flat. Are there rabid Klemens Franz fans out there campaigning for him to get work? Is he someone important's nephew? Somebody please explain the Klemens Franz phenomenon.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Franz is from when boardgame art wasn’t as good as it is now. I do like the Easter eggs he inserts in his art though.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

I hate that you showed me this

djfooboo posted:

Franz is from when boardgame art wasn’t as good as it is now. I do like the Easter eggs he inserts in his art though.

So he's just been grandfathered in? (I was hoping the prominent nephew theory was right.) What kinds of easter eggs does he include?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Franz art has a lot more charm than the vector stuff that’s all the rage today. Agricola wouldn’t be the same without the goofy little people.

He also has a lot more range than people expect, but his Uwe games and similar euros tend to stick to the style you’re talking about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shadow225 posted:

I find it amazing that across all mediums, the Individuals who create just want you to experience the creation while larger entities are more stingy with their content.

I think you know why.

Proudly sitting on my board game shelf facing out.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Franz art has a lot more charm than the vector stuff that’s all the rage today. Agricola wouldn’t be the same without the goofy little people.

He also has a lot more range than people expect, but his Uwe games and similar euros tend to stick to the style you’re talking about.

What's an example of vector stuff? It's mostly how he draws people that I find off-putting. My boyfriend has Clans of Caledonia, and I find the art within the actual game fine (and I can just ignore my clan card once I know its ability). Again, I haven't actually played any of his other games, so I'm mostly talking about box art. I'm usually willing to ignore bad/boring art as long as the game is good (e.g., Castles of Burgundy), but I find it hard to get past those covers (and yet I own Hansa Teutonica, so it seems to be something to do with his art in particular).

Modification to my earlier question: I'm looking for another euro-style dice placement/use game. Would anyone recommend Troyes or The Voyages of Marco Polo?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Aside from the actual people I think the art in Agricola is great and nails the feel of the game

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Chill la Chill posted:

Shadow225 posted:

I think you know why.
Because unlike enthusiasm for one's own creation, labor and material costs don't scale infinitely for free?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

quote:

Because unlike enthusiasm for one's own creation, labor and material costs don't scale infinitely for free?

Sure, the world doesn't exist in an economic theory book though and the complaint is not "how dare they want money for their product" but rather "Why are they actively stopping people from using their product that isn't available for purchase anyways instead of just making it easy to buy it?"

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 10, 2020

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Sure, the world doesn't exist in an economic theory book though and the complaint is not "how dare they want money for their product" but rather "Why are they actively stopping people from using their product that isn't available for purchase anyways instead of just making it easy to buy it."

Yeah, nobody [sane] would complain if they sold good digital ports. AI and UI seem to be hard though.

In good port land, Spirit Island has been teaching me rules - I get an odd behaviour and go to check the FAQ before submitting a bug report, and learn that I had been playing it wrong. 1) A damaged building keeps its damage if it is replaced. So a city with 2 damage becoming a town dies, and a damaged Dahan becomes a damaged town (Sweden). 2) if Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares deals 1 damage to a city, and then deals 2 damage to that city, nothing happens - dream damage has to be lethal in a single dose to get the fear (and pushing for non-cities).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally broke out Feast with the new harvest mini expansion (side note: holy gently caress it's hard to have enough energy to game in the evenings when there's no break in child care).

It's good! Randomizes the harvests, game starts with one, then the other three are mixed up with four no harvests. We had the 1-3 harvest first, then the 1-4, then no harvests at all for four rounds. Felt very different! Note that we only got 3 harvests total, which can happen.

The little 1x1 pieces are cute though a little silly. Otherwise, felt like the same game we loved. I ended up with 179 mostly going cows, my wife 173 focusing on crafting. Good fun as always.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mellifluous posted:

Modification to my earlier question: I'm looking for another euro-style dice placement/use game. Would anyone recommend Troyes or The Voyages of Marco Polo?

Not played Voyages of Marco Polo but I would recommend Troyes certainly. Its a little bit obtuse as to what you're doing but it works well, nice level of interaction.

Sagrada is good as well for that genre, although I dislike the hidden scoring cards a lot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

mellifluous posted:

I will go hard in the paint for Voyages of Marco Polo. It's a dice-placement game where everybody has special powers and they had the guts to balance them all around "you place dice on whatever face you want". It's not perfect and they've aimed a little lower in the sequel, but it's a pretty solid game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So Brass Birmingham is available on Tabletopia but to have more than 2 players online you have to pay the premium subscription. According to the Tabletopia license agreement, publishers get money for games played on Tabletopia. I'm sure they don't for player created mods on TTS. Which could explain why Roxley pulled Brass Birmingham from TTS. Not sure how I feel about it completely, but I do feel a little less annoyed since they are entitled to get something for people playing their game.

I've not played anything on Tabletopia because I'd heard the experience isn't as good as the experience on TTS. Any thoughts?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Mayveena posted:

So Brass Birmingham is available on Tabletopia but to have more than 2 players online you have to pay the premium subscription. According to the Tabletopia license agreement, publishers get money for games played on Tabletopia. I'm sure they don't for player created mods on TTS. Which could explain why Roxley pulled Brass Birmingham from TTS. Not sure how I feel about it completely, but I do feel a little less annoyed since they are entitled to get something for people playing their game.

I've not played anything on Tabletopia because I'd heard the experience isn't as good as the experience on TTS. Any thoughts?

Game selection is obviously more limited but you don’t have to deal with nearly as much jank as is in TTS. I like it a lot. Big bonus for not having to get any of your friends to spend money and you just need to send them a link to your game lobby.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I like Tabletopia a lot. All of the issues it has are the same ones TTS has, the main difference between the two just being game selection.

That said, I really like that they're all "official" versions and that you can use it in-browser (only my work laptop will handle this kinda thing, and I'd rather not install Steam etc on it) It's also nice that in the event a game is fancy and needs a premium account, there's a not-overly expensive membership tier that lets one premium member host a game with their non-premium friends.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Glazius posted:

I will go hard in the paint for Voyages of Marco Polo. It's a dice-placement game where everybody has special powers and they had the guts to balance them all around "you place dice on whatever face you want". It's not perfect and they've aimed a little lower in the sequel, but it's a pretty solid game.

I own Troyes and it’s fine, but Marco Polo is a great game and would swap my copy of Troyes for it given the chance. I don’t really like the semi cooperative thing Troyes is doing, and Marco Polo lets you do some crazy stuff that makes you feel smart.

Marco Polo looks like generic euro #476 at first but when you show people the character cards their faces light up with possibilities. It’s like some Cosmic Encounter naughtiness but without the baggage that game has.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 10, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

I played a couple of games on Tabletopia on Friday. It has some difficulties with hidden information and when we played Mini Express (which is a not bad game, BTW, keep an eye on it) one of the game components became invisible to everyone except me. If that happens to you, by the way, have someone who can see it put it into their hand then back onto the board - it should be visible again.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow225 posted:

Same as it ever was

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I found Tabletopia and Tabletop Simulator interfaces really hard to use (I'm fighting CAD interface instincts) and I just can't get used to not seeing the whole board at once.

Best try to explain it is that it just doesn't "feel" right to me, it's like playing a board game where you're only allowed to touch and move things in limited, specific ways and are looking at everything through a tube on top of it. I doubt my experience is typical but it's really just not my thing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Board goons, yer me only hope. I want to move some cubes for people. Need input on the intro video.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790126&pagenumber=91#post504724892

The coordinate system seems unnecessary with every move tied to an already placed cube.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Just played Air, Land & Sea for the first time through Tabletop Simulator with my best gaming bud. I was quite impressed with it! I really liked both the game and the TTS mod.

The withdrawal mechanic is excellent, and I feel like other bluff-heavy games should take inspiration from it. I also thought it had an excellent mix of bluffing and straight up tactics. This is just a quick reaction based on a single session, but we're looking forward to playing it again.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SelenicMartian posted:

Board goons, yer me only hope. I want to move some cubes for people. Need input on the intro video.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790126&pagenumber=91#post504724892

The coordinate system seems unnecessary with every move tied to an already placed cube.

That's neat. Rules seem to make sense but is this intended as a full rule explanation? Video seems to go into a lot of corner cases.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We played Marrakech and Castle Panic on Tabletopia recently, and had a good time with both. For simple games like these it seems like a really cool bit of software, but we've got a hankering to continue our Gloomhaven campaign so I've bought and installed TTS, and downloaded the Gloomhaven mod. It's quite overwhelming! I found a good video tutorial series though, and hopefully we'll be able to continue where we left off this evening. Whoever made this mod did an amazing job, it's insane!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's neat. Rules seem to make sense but is this intended as a full rule explanation? Video seems to go into a lot of corner cases.
I've started the thread, put some rules in there, and am waiting for crazy people to sign up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922993

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
I tried out the Harvest expansion for Feast for Odin yesterday and it was brutal starting with the smallest harvest then having none for 3 rounds in a row.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Grundma posted:

I tried out the Harvest expansion for Feast for Odin yesterday and it was brutal starting with the smallest harvest then having none for 3 rounds in a row.

I feel like the possibility of three or four no harvests in a row will change the desirability of some islands, notably "gives lots of food" may get higher priority. Or just slam some houses down. I went cows and getting that milk and beans every round was great for the lean years.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

Finally broke out Feast with the new harvest mini expansion (side note: holy gently caress it's hard to have enough energy to game in the evenings when there's no break in child care).

It's good! Randomizes the harvests, game starts with one, then the other three are mixed up with four no harvests. We had the 1-3 harvest first, then the 1-4, then no harvests at all for four rounds. Felt very different! Note that we only got 3 harvests total, which can happen.

The little 1x1 pieces are cute though a little silly. Otherwise, felt like the same game we loved. I ended up with 179 mostly going cows, my wife 173 focusing on crafting. Good fun as always.

Mama Mia you are deadly at the game, holy smokes.

Harvest expansion sounds tight, I need to get it.

Also, I played Res Arcana this weekend and really enjoyed it and ended up playing three games back to back. Says a lot that my girlfriend who is usually meh on these types of games really got into it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Mama Mia you are deadly at the game, holy smokes.

Harvest expansion sounds tight, I need to get it.

Also, I played Res Arcana this weekend and really enjoyed it and ended up playing three games back to back. Says a lot that my girlfriend who is usually meh on these types of games really got into it.

We've played maybe a lot. Maybe trod on each other's toes a little less than some others, so 2p scores may be a little higher than some couples, but we definitely didn't hold back particularly either.

It did help a ton that we started with the big two harvests up front, too, though four empty harvests after that was nuts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, hows the Res Arcana expansion? Does it flesh out the solid core or is it mostly unneeded?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bardeh posted:

We played Marrakech and Castle Panic on Tabletopia recently, and had a good time with both. For simple games like these it seems like a really cool bit of software, but we've got a hankering to continue our Gloomhaven campaign so I've bought and installed TTS, and downloaded the Gloomhaven mod. It's quite overwhelming! I found a good video tutorial series though, and hopefully we'll be able to continue where we left off this evening. Whoever made this mod did an amazing job, it's insane!

Is gloomhaven on TTS better than the stand alone Steam digital version?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PerniciousKnid posted:

It has all of the classes and all of the missions.

e: Also the items and events? And story.

It's not missing the majority of the content, is I guess what I'm getting at.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Gloomhaven standalone has some different content (a couple of its own monsters, and a substantially different campaign IIRC) but is very incomplete at present (last I checked they hadn't even coded all of the base classes let alone any of the extended ones).

TTS is just a copy of the boardgame.