Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgKMGwfo5sg

Catching a golf ball in flight in your merc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Tekne posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMADX5HvcAA
I wish we had a production car racing series like this in the US. Also, seeing a 300C tear up the track is both awesome and hilarious.

That Chrysler sounds absolutely phenomenal. Sounds like the old big block racers from the 70s.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well so much for my speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEyjor8MCts

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
We trekked out to Indianapolis and Arnage corners at Le Mans, at 1am on Saturday, to get some race car action.

This is a short video I recorded to show how god drat quiet the Audi R18 is compared to the other cars (which all sound amazing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLSFz_Db7Q

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEklJbAlxY4
A selection of Datsun 510s set to chip tune like music.

Edit;

Against All Odds, a Datsun 510 BRE racing film;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XAP4pCRps

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 23, 2012

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
M5 Bullet.

http://www.wimp.com/bmwbullet/

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Pretty cool.

I wonder how fast the car was actually going through the items. I imagine that if those balloons were only slightly lower it would cause some impressive damage if they were going at a fair clip.

E: Okay it's CGI I guess. Hard to tell on a small screen.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

This is a short video I recorded to show how god drat quiet the Audi R18 is compared to the other cars (which all sound amazing).

Patrick Dempsey drove the 24 Hours of Le Man in 2009. He commented that at night on the Mulsanne the Audi R15s were "like ghosts".

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Why is that?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Lord Gaga posted:

Why is that?

'Cause they're quiet

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005
In the first of the Truth in 24 documentaries, one of the Audi drivers actually says that the engine is quiet enough that what you hear inside the R18 is pretty much all tyre noise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
15 minutes of :stare: slo-mo Le Mans goodness

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

angryhampster posted:

That Chrysler sounds absolutely phenomenal. Sounds like the old big block racers from the 70s.

The Hemi probably makes the best sounds out of the big 3's new generation V8's. I want a 392 for my Daytona so bad :(

345hp out of 345ci seemed so good in 2005. The new 6.4L gets 470 out of 392.

Here's a random video of James Glickenhaus' Ferrari P4/5 Competizione

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 24, 2012

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

the poi posted:

'Cause they're quiet

I meant why are they quiet

VikingSkull posted:

The Hemi probably makes the best sounds out of the big 3's new generation V8's. I want a 392 for my Daytona so bad :(

345hp out of 345ci seemed so good in 2005. The new 6.4L gets 470 out of 392.

Really? The Ford 4.6 DOHC was making 280 out of 281 in 1993.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah and it was making like 320hp ten years later. The 4.6 wasn't a terrible engine, but it wasn't as open to improvements as engines today. If Hemis were still 5.7 and making 10 more horse I wouldn't be as impressed. There's a reason a lot of people ditched their mod motors for a 5.0 a few years ago, or a 5.0 Coyote now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
1 bhp per cubic inch is only 61 bhp per litre. It's nothing extraordinary, even decades ago.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah and it was making like 320hp ten years later. The 4.6 wasn't a terrible engine, but it wasn't as open to improvements as engines today. If Hemis were still 5.7 and making 10 more horse I wouldn't be as impressed. There's a reason a lot of people ditched their mod motors for a 5.0 a few years ago, or a 5.0 Coyote now.

I wasn't saying it was a particularly good motor, just that 1bhp/L is nothing impressive even for a larger displacement engine. However since you brought it up, other than size/weight of an aluminum block (which are still ridic expensive), the Windsor 5.0 is definitely a worse high performance motor than the DOHC mod motor. Blocks shouldn't crack at less than 2x stock power levels. When you get to high high horsepower numbers either motor gets expensive but the mod motor I'd bet still wins out in the power/dollar category. Its Achilles heel is its massive size and relatively smaller aftermarket.

The Coyote on the other hand is def a better motor, but still a mod motor. Seems to hold a lot better power than the garbage powdered rods in the 4.6 though and the heads are supposed to be awesome.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, I know that 1hp per inch or 100 per liter isn't a new benchmark. However, after the 80's and 90's seeing the Hemi return and achieve that out of the box, along with the other V8's becoming what they are, that's the impressive thing. That's kind of what I'm getting at. When I got my Ram in 05 345hp in anything was a lot. Now it's poo poo :(

e- now I know how a guy with a 65 or a 66 anything in 1970 felt. Inadequate.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 24, 2012

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

1 bhp per cubic inch is only 61 bhp per litre. It's nothing extraordinary, even decades ago.

Yeah, but for a long run in the mid-'70s, '80s, and even a chunk of the early 90s, a typical V8 made somewhere in the range of 30-45 hp/L. Getting back to 1 hp/ci specific output on a naturally aspirated v8 was sort of a big deal, after such a drought of power.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
All the gearshifts from the Fast and Furious movies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mY0ji1otH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mY0ji1otH8

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I have been this frustrated before.

http://youtu.be/Zyr6VDaaWJE

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Well, I know that 1hp per inch or 100 per liter isn't a new benchmark. However, after the 80's and 90's seeing the Hemi return and achieve that out of the box, along with the other V8's becoming what they are, that's the impressive thing. That's kind of what I'm getting at. When I got my Ram in 05 345hp in anything was a lot. Now it's poo poo :(

e- now I know how a guy with a 65 or a 66 anything in 1970 felt. Inadequate.

Hemi is a bullshit marketing term and has nothing to do with hemispherical heads. So if by return you mean "get named the same thing to sell more dodge rams despite not being similar" then yea it returned.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

mutt2jeff posted:

I have been this frustrated before.

http://youtu.be/Zyr6VDaaWJE

I don't understand what happened here. Did he gently caress up the grid somehow and the marshal was punishing him?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lord Gaga posted:

Hemi is a bullshit marketing term and has nothing to do with hemispherical heads. So if by return you mean "get named the same thing to sell more dodge rams despite not being similar" then yea it returned.

No see it means something it stands for HIGH ENERGY MULTIPORT INJECTION so it is totally legit OKAY?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

dustywusty posted:

I don't understand what happened here. Did he gently caress up the grid somehow and the marshal was punishing him?

I don't get it either... It seems like by pointing to his right he gave up his spot?

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

dustywusty posted:

He didn't enter the grid when the marshal waved him on. He waited because he was mistakenly in 6th instead of 7th, but the marshal probably didn't know that so in his mind he forfeited his spot then and there. It's somewhat understandable since releasing 70+ cars onto the track can be pretty chaotic, the marshal can't be expected to know certain special circumstances for each individual car. I mean, if you don't go when he tells you to go, you can't expect him to walk over, have a conversation about how your grid placement is wrong and you want to be honest and not start ahead of where you qualified, because in that time you're holding up everyone else who's waiting to race, many of whom have invested a great amount of time and money to be there. The driver was just kind of an ignorant new driver, and didn't realize if you don't play by the SCCA's or whoever's rulebook they will gently caress your day up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeticopter posted:

He didn't enter the grid when the marshal waved him on. He waited because he was mistakenly in 6th instead of 7th, but the marshal probably didn't know that so in his mind he forfeited his spot then and there. It's somewhat understandable since releasing 70+ cars onto the track can be pretty chaotic, the marshal can't be expected to know certain special circumstances for each individual car. I mean, if you don't go when he tells you to go, you can't expect him to walk over, have a conversation about how your grid placement is wrong and you want to be honest and not start ahead of where you qualified, because in that time you're holding up everyone else who's waiting to race, many of whom have invested a great amount of time and money to be there. The driver was just kind of an ignorant new driver, and didn't realize if you don't play by the SCCA's or whoever's rulebook they will gently caress your day up.

Thing is, I seem to remember the last time that vid was posted someone saying that had he gone in the incorrect position, he would have been flagged back to last place anyway for a false start. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lord Gaga posted:

Yeah, I knew that too, but marketing scheme or not it's an excellent engine. They could call it the poo poo sandwich and it would still be a good engine.

Fucknag posted:

No see it means something it stands for HIGH ENERGY MULTIPORT INJECTION so it is totally legit OKAY?

Actually I think it's "High Energy Multi Ignition" due to the twin spark.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 26, 2012

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, I knew that too, but marketing scheme or not it's an excellent engine. They could call it the poo poo sandwich and it would still be a good engine.

Yeah I don't get all the hate for the hemi around here. Who gives a poo poo if it isn't technically a "hemi" in the historical sense, it's a great engine that performs well and has shown itself to be reliable. I guess people are just mad that chrysler made something that isn't lovely.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

lazer_chicken posted:

I guess people are just mad that chrysler made something that isn't lovely.

But yeah, things are looking up for Chrysler, despite how hard the whole Daimler thing raped them.

The whole Fiat thing seems to be working out for them, at least.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dustywusty posted:

The marshall's slotted him in 6th instead of where he qualified, 7th (or he slotted himself wrong). The car that was supposed to be 6th was in the 7th slot, so he waved the 6th qualifier in front of him. The Marshall then jumped in front of the pov car and blocked him because who the gently caress knows why.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Peanut President posted:

The marshall's slotted him in 6th instead of where he qualified, 7th (or he slotted himself wrong). The car that was supposed to be 6th was in the 7th slot, so he waved the 6th qualifier in front of him. The Marshall then jumped in front of the pov car and blocked him because who the gently caress knows why.

Because if you wave someone in front of you it's because you're unable to proceed for some reason; a mechanical fault or whatever. So you are moved to the back of the pack, even if your issue is resolved before then. Basically, waving someone in front of you forfeits your slot.

Kaakao
Jul 6, 2005
Random Stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccp40EooTe8

Good short video about the last 24h Nürburgring race from one of the BMW teams.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Speaking of 24hr racing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrHsXf9x5A
One lap of this years Le Mans from the helmet cam of the #73 Corvette ZR1. You can tell it's at night as the drivers display says so

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, remember the russian dashcam videos from last page? And how someone posted a link to a site explaining the whole thing and linking to a blog where all the fresh videos were posted?

I did some random browsing there and here's what I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmVaKOilR0&t=65s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWVnf5tdWg
Same incident. Also this is where the winter olympics take place.

I have a few more masterpieces bookmarked but for now here's the site itself

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sigma X posted:

Because if you wave someone in front of you it's because you're unable to proceed for some reason; a mechanical fault or whatever. So you are moved to the back of the pack, even if your issue is resolved before then. Basically, waving someone in front of you forfeits your slot.

So are you saying that Nice Guys Start Last?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

lazer_chicken posted:

Yeah I don't get all the hate for the hemi around here. Who gives a poo poo if it isn't technically a "hemi" in the historical sense, it's a great engine that performs well and has shown itself to be reliable. I guess people are just mad that chrysler made something that isn't lovely.

The cylinder heads alone are pretty outstanding, I remember reading that when it was introduced they were the best flowing V8 cylinder heads ever put on a production engine.

You can get 1,000hp out of the Hemi just like if it was an LS series engine. It's a really stout piece.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

The cylinder heads alone are pretty outstanding, I remember reading that when it was introduced they were the best flowing V8 cylinder heads ever put on a production engine.

You can get 1,000hp out of the Hemi just like if it was an LS series engine. It's a really stout piece.

Shame they only put it in 4,000+lb slabs of 'Merican steel.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The 'cuda will rectify that, hopefully. I'm still hoping for a small American coupe based off the upcoming Miata/Spider with a Penta or Hemi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Sauber F1 car sliced in half:
http://www.wimp.com/slicecar/