Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there are only a handful of brick and mortar shops near me for her to try helmets on which is of course the best way to get one. I'll keep an eye out for the ones mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

echomadman posted:

This will eventually destroy your glasses frame, i was lazy when i had my flip front helmet and used to pull it on without taking off my glasses, eventually the hinges got really hosed up, same thing happened to other people i know.

I've never had to modify anything to fit my glasses in a full face. I do have to take them off when I put it on.... even when I was wearing a size too large I'd still need to do that.

However sliding the stems behind my ears with the visor open has never been even close an issue and I'm failing to visualize how it possibly could be with a flip-able visor.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

echomadman posted:

This will eventually destroy your glasses frame, i was lazy when i had my flip front helmet and used to pull it on without taking off my glasses, eventually the hinges got really hosed up, same thing happened to other people i know.

I think this is largely dependent on your frames. I've got Flexon frames (I swear by them), and I've had no problems with either flip face or full face helmets.

Edit: I have my face flipped up when I put on my helmet, and then I flip it down. Wearing a full face helmet, I take the glasses off, balance them on the bike, put the helmet on, then slide the glasses into the helmet without jabbing myself in the eye most of the time.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

I've never had to modify anything to fit my glasses in a full face. I do have to take them off when I put it on.... even when I was wearing a size too large I'd still need to do that.

However sliding the stems behind my ears with the visor open has never been even close an issue and I'm failing to visualize how it possibly could be with a flip-able visor.

I was replying to Padrescout who was talking about putting on a flip up helmet without removing his glasses.
As for getting the stems behind my ears, all my glasses since i started riding have had straight legs.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My prescription glasses snapped at the hinges 2 weeks ago. Think it was my helmet that killed them.

Switching over to contacts now, they're probably better anyway. :v:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

PadreScout posted:

Also consider a flip face helmet. A lot of people are like " oh noes! Flip faces are the debil cause .... prejudice."

It's not prejudice, it's safety. Many are only classified as open-face helmets and don't live up to the safety standards of a full-face, though there are some now that pass full-face tests as well as open-face tests.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

With the modular/flip-face helmets, you can flex the cheeks/straps a bit when you pull it onto your head (which you have to do put it on if it is a properly snug fit). This allows me to clear the arms of my glasses.

Also, the flip helmet provides a wider angle of entry for your head, so you don't have to pull the helmet straight down over the glasses. Instead you can bring the helmet down and forward at an angle, which avoids loving with your glasses.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If the average temperatures for the next 6 months are going to be between the high 40s / low 50s and the mid 70s, would I want winter or summer gloves? I'd imagine the winter gloves are for places that have a much colder winter, but then I'm not sure how much riding people do where it snows.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

MomJeans420 posted:

If the average temperatures for the next 6 months are going to be between the high 40s / low 50s and the mid 70s, would I want winter or summer gloves? I'd imagine the winter gloves are for places that have a much colder winter, but then I'm not sure how much riding people do where it snows.

I am a person who hates being cold, so factor that into this response:

If it's really cold, you either need guards on your handlebars to keep the wind off your hands, or you need heated gloves. My "winter" gloves are comfortable down to 50 degrees F, 40 for short, short periods of time. Below that (or for longer durations, or for rain) I need the heated jobs. In the mid 70s winter gloves are going to get warm - a mild sweat will break out - but nothing unbearable for a short period of time.

My "summer" gloves are only good from the mid 60s on up, any cooler than that and my fingers get stiff to the point of not being able to use them much: a very unsafe condition.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Why not thinner gloves, guards, and heated grips?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I find that down to at least the low 50's I can wear 'summer' gloves as long as they're not perforated, and I don't need perf till the mid-high 80s at least. Ambient humidity (i.e. riding in morning fog) plays a big factor too; if you expect to be near the low end of your temp range and riding in rain or fog, get waterproof winter gloves.

I find riding any real distance in sub-50 weather requires a whole different outfit, not just gloves, which is part of why so many dudes park their bikes when it gets cold.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Anyone have any experience with Knox Handroids? Also, how do they fit compared to other gloves? I don't think there's a store that stocks them near me and my cyclegear 29.99 specials are falling apart.

Also if there's a recommendation any other way, as long as it's high quality/comfort/full-gauntlet. You guys have been saying that Alpinestars quality is slipping and they're even more expensive for their GP gloves. I'm also looking at Held's but their top end glove is 350.

Here's the Handroid if you're unfamiliar, crazy looking thing, but all the online videos make it out to be great. The only downside I can see is that it's fairly bulky, but it's got mild springs pulling the fingers up to counter it, I wonder how long they last? http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6960

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 5, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nitramster posted:

Anyone have any experience with Knox Handroids? Also, how do they fit compared to other gloves? I don't think there's a store that stocks them near me and my cyclegear 29.99 specials are falling apart.

Also if there's a recommendation any other way, as long as it's high quality/comfort/full-gauntlet. You guys have been saying that Alpinestars quality is slipping and they're even more expensive for their GP gloves. I'm also looking at Held's but their top end glove is 350.

Here's the Handroid if you're unfamiliar, crazy looking thing, but all the online videos make it out to be great. The only downside I can see is that it's fairly bulky, but it's got mild springs pulling the fingers up to counter it, I wonder how long they last? http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6960

I do!

I love them, had some a* before and they're way comfier/tactile. The leather on the inside of the fingers is a little thin, but it's thick and burly where it counts. I always wear my sleeves inside the gauntlet, so if you're an over the gauntlet guy these might not work because of all the bulk around the wrist.

Overall, they're great and I love them. They took about a month to FULLY break in, but once they did they feel like a second skin.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Nitramster posted:

Rev'it had the nicest glove at the best price that I found, but their latest gloves have a twiddled fit with an entirely too short thumb for me. If they fit you, I'd recommend them strongly.

Dainese costs more for what you get but is going to be pretty impeccable quality-wise. My current Daineses aren't as nice or comfy as the Rev'its in their price range, but they fit me better. Their top-line stuff is eye-popping pricy but If you're not doing track racing you can take a few steps down without sacrificing.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I've never tried them, but a vast majority of the reviews you'll see around the internet echo SaNChEzZ's sentiment.
Although, if you're looking for something a bit cheaper, the rest of their range is supposed to be just as good as far as protection:cost ratio goes.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Just got my first bike and gear this week. I'm stoked.

I bought a black helmet and black jacket (Shoei and Dainese textile).

Now I am wondering if I should have gone with brighter colors for visibility (bike is a red CBR250).

I have 7 days on the helmet and 30 on the jacket. I could take the helmet back and just change it to white. That might not go over so well with the vendor but hey, I paid a lot and should get what I want.

How much do you take visibility into account when buying gear?

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 6, 2012

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Snowdens Secret posted:

Rev'it had the nicest glove at the best price that I found, but their latest gloves have a twiddled fit with an entirely too short thumb for me. If they fit you, I'd recommend them strongly.

Dainese costs more for what you get but is going to be pretty impeccable quality-wise. My current Daineses aren't as nice or comfy as the Rev'its in their price range, but they fit me better. Their top-line stuff is eye-popping pricy but If you're not doing track racing you can take a few steps down without sacrificing.

My first pair of gloves was/is a $120 dainese summer glove. I never regretted the purchase once (sorry I don't know the model). I recently picked up some ridic a* goretex gloves on clearance because nobody wears my size and they are baller too!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

XYLOPAGUS posted:

My first pair of gloves was/is a $120 dainese summer glove. I never regretted the purchase once (sorry I don't know the model). I recently picked up some ridic a* goretex gloves on clearance because nobody wears my size and they are baller too!

I have some A* Drystars. I loved them in Portland during the spring and early summer.

However, after three months of use the stitching on all the fingers on both gloves fell completely apart.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
The ones I picked up are actually A* Tech Road Gore-Tex. Here's to hoping I get a couple decent seasons.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stugazi posted:

Now I am wondering if I should have gone with brighter colors for visibility (bike is a red CBR250).

I have 7 days on the helmet and 30 on the jacket. I could take the helmet back and just change it to white. That might not go over so well with the vendor but hey, I paid a lot and should get what I want.

You might be able to exchange the jacket depending on how nice the vendor is, but most places won't let you trade a helmet once you've walked out the door with it. Reason being you could have dropped the helmet (or had a minor crash) that isn't visible on the surface, and an impacted helmet is a broken helmet. So for safety reasons they can't resell used helmets.

If you're worried about visibility, get a high-vis vest to wear over your jacket.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Stugazi posted:

Echoing the helmet exchange, just keep it.

For the jacket, it's personal preference. Dianese doesn't have a lot of high vis stuff, but it's protection is impeccable. I've been riding off and on for 5 years and just bought my first high vis jacket 6 months ago, and I do think it makes a difference, but it's also a comfortable textile mesh jacket for hot weather. Now that it's getting colder, it will go back in storage and I am not giving it a second thought.

If you like the Dianese and the way it looks, keep it. If you have issues, return it. The best gear is the one you're most likely to wear, and you won't immediately die for not being high vis.

If worse comes to worst, you can always buy one of these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/102/16062/ITEM/Icon-Mil-Spec-Mesh-Vest.aspx Both the orange and neon green work well.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Stugazi posted:

I got a black helmet because it happened to be the cheapest one for whatever reason... I just stuck 3M reflective tape all over it.

It was mentioned somewhere in this thread that SOLAS tape is pretty much the best stuff you can get for that purpose:
http://www.amazon.com/UST-Reflective-Tape-8-Pieces-4-Inch/dp/B006MQMA3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349539498&sr=8-1&keywords=solas+tape

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Collateral Damage posted:

You might be able to exchange the jacket depending on how nice the vendor is, but most places won't let you trade a helmet once you've walked out the door with it. Reason being you could have dropped the helmet (or had a minor crash) that isn't visible on the surface, and an impacted helmet is a broken helmet. So for safety reasons they can't resell used helmets.
For this reason I would never buy a helmet from Cycle Gear unless I knew it was ordered directly from a vendor. I've seen some really sketchy stuff related to the helmet "exchange" policy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

After just coming back from Cycle Gear, I don't think I'd recommend them for anything for a while.

It's a shame-- I usually always have great luck with them. Most of their employees are very pleasant to deal with, but today not only I but my girlfriend was mortified at the way they treated me today. I've left a message with the corporate office and am going to get two people fired. If I don't, I'm not giving them a dime ever again.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Thanks for the advice on high viz stuff. I am going with tape on the helmet and a vest. Never can be too safe.

I don't know if CG is the same everywhere but they did offer 7 days on the helmet. That does seem creepy unless they xray every exchange. My Shoei fits me great so I'm going to keep it.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
CBR250R's are awesome. It's also pretty awesome that they Repsol'd it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYSxW1YVw8

I wonder how long they'll continue with that displacement with the Ninja 300 out now...

Back to the thread. Sanchez, did you have a chance to try out the Handroids before you bought them or did you buy them online?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So I was trying to find a racing suit but I ended up in Robot Jox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1N7MhFO7yw

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That suit owns

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Word of wisdom: IKEA sells high vis vests for $1.99

Nitramaster:

I didn't, but the guys at solomotoparts were very helpful. I told them what I had and what size and they got me sorted. I ended up with an XL iirc. Wore an xl in a* as well.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 8, 2012

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Lester, I hope you've got a 916 to rock that on!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So I was trying to find a racing suit but I ended up in Robot Jox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1N7MhFO7yw

'retro' gear is the best poo poo ever.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
I'm sure it's been asked and answered in this thread before, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

The Joe Rocket Hemp jackets, anyone got one? Lightweight, looks to breath pretty well, got CE rated shoulder, elbow and back protection in a package that doesn't scream "race leathers", and has gotten real cheap on the closeout sights.

Thoughts?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Xovaan posted:

After just coming back from Cycle Gear, I don't think I'd recommend them for anything for a while.

It's a shame-- I usually always have great luck with them. Most of their employees are very pleasant to deal with, but today not only I but my girlfriend was mortified at the way they treated me today. I've left a message with the corporate office and am going to get two people fired. If I don't, I'm not giving them a dime ever again.

Sedici gloves come with a lifetime guarantee? That's cool. I wouldn't expect to get helped whatsoever for a pair of year-old gloves

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's why I bought them over other gloves at the time. The guarantee is that if anything happens to the glove over the course of ownership that isn't a result of destruction (meaning "natural wear" falls into this category) then they'll replace them with another Sedici glove, no questions asked.

The entire thing stemmed from me asking the lady working the counter if she could look up the receipt in the system since I misplaced it and a previous gentleman I dealt with told me they keep a record of everything and it wouldn't be an issue at all. Apparently it was-- a huge one at that, according to her. But not really, because I was on the phone with the bank for 30 minutes finding the exact date so it wouldn't inconvenience them going through old transactions on their archaic system.

Basically she and another man were insulting, condescending, and rude to the point of me calling corporate and forwarding them that review. In the three years I worked at Starbucks in a very rich (entitled) area, I'd have to say that this encounter was in the top five worst customer service interactions I've had to deal with-- And never did I think something like this would be coming from the other side of the counter. The Yelp reviewers seem to back up what I have to say about this particular employee as well, so I know I'm not insane.

Seriously, the glove just had split a seam. All I wanted to know was the value so I could do an equal trade for another pair of Sedici gloves and not have anybody get the short end of the transaction. A third employee during this told me I could upgrade if I wanted and we found a pair of Dainese gloves for $115 that fit pretty decently so I was looking at purchasing those as well. I thought I paid over $100 for my current pair of gloves, it turns out I didn't, and I was fine with them being worth $70. But from the start they were nothing but extremely condescending to the point where my thick-skinned girlfriend, after hearing most of it, told me that I should call corporate because it was unacceptable. Instead of even accepting the Sedici replacement, I told them I'm fine with my current gloves, went home, and repaired them myself. Because I'll take my business elsewhere where I'm not treated like utter poo poo, even if it costs me $300 for the pair of gloves I want. It really was that bad.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Wow Xovaan, I just read your review (assuming you posted it on the 06/10) as well as your two posts here.

I think :staredog: sums up my reaction quite well. It's bullshit that horrible employees like that are allowed to keep their jobs.

Customers are the lifeblood of businesses, man. Why is she still there?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yep! That was me. You threw me off with 6/10, because it's 10/6 in the US and I'm an idiot, haha

No idea, man. Z3n and MotoMind will account that I'm a pretty nice guy in real life and I treat everyone with respect. (At least I hope they will :ohdear: ) It was horrendously uncalled for. It was like dealing with Bay Area Rider Forum in real life. Since it was the second time she's treated me that way, I am hoping she realizes this is not the industry for her, even if corporate forces that decision on her.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Since we've discovered what a twat Nicole is, I thought I'd mention what a nice lady Alejandra was at GoAZ in Scottsdale. She showed me all around the whole complex to find me some nice winter gloves, and was surprisingly positive when I mentioned I was an MMI student, even telling me I ought to send in a resume. Surprisingly because most people around there are not fond of MMI students, me included, because they're all worthless pricks. And she had a cool Italian name and her rear end looked great in her tight jeans.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just go to Helimot and have a nice chat with the German man and be done with it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Since we're talking about gear shops in Cali, has anyone been to the Dianese store in SF? I'm planning on going next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Just go to Helimot and have a nice chat with the German man and be done with it.

The man at Cycle Gear said that he's not reopening because he didn't pay off his old place's rent. But, you know, it's Cycle Gear. :saddowns: