Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

You're not really meant to like any of the characters except for the main couple and possibly Dan if you're feeling sympathetic. The other characters are tedious, horrible people and Becky and Steve often leave the room to make fun of them or laugh at them for saying such stupid things. It is pretty consistent but I'd say watch the very first episode if you can to make a proper decision

I didn't even like the main couple, though.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is both sort of sad and kind of funny. I really did like him before went up his own bottom and lost all sense of perspective.

Boyle really benefits from forced limits. Without them he goes from a man who's edgy but funny to a lunatic just yelling offensive things on stage.

His comic is pretty awful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
loving club scenes. Look spaced literally solved this for you, just loving copy that ok.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

ChuckDHead posted:

His comic is pretty awful too.

drat, you mean Rex Roid? I only read the first one in CLiNT but it seemed like it had potential.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

HoldYourFire posted:

drat, you mean Rex Roid? I only read the first one in CLiNT but it seemed like it had potential.

Turns out that it didn't really have potential. It was horribly disjointed and self-consciously controversial in a way that didn't really seem funny or clever enough to justify it (admittedly, the latter is pretty much mandatory for CLiNT, and every issue I find myself deciding not to buy the next. Jimmy Carr's abomination came very close, but the last Kick-rear end 2 installment may have managed it). Apparently he's coming back for another series of it, though...

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ChuckDHead posted:

Apparently he's coming back for another series of it, though...

Why? It was loving awful. The Jonathan Ross one was confusing and poo poo too.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Why? It was loving awful. The Jonathan Ross one was confusing and poo poo too.

Ross' Turf wasn't too bad, it just had some issues with how the action panels read, and had a tendency to throw a few too many ideas into the mix (vampires vs gangsters vs aliens is a bit much. Just pick two...).

Jimmy Carr shouldn't be allowed near comics ever again, though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I thought that was a decent end to Fresh Meat.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

I thought that was a decent end to Fresh Meat.

The trailers put me off watching this and I only caught the last two episodes because I found myself in such a vegetative state that I couldn't reach for the tellybox. Was this a comedy?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
GOD TIER: Vod, Howard

GOLD TIER: JP, Dan (geology teacher), Ruth (Asian drama chick)

SILVER TIER: Howard's creepy man-stalker, Oregon, Paul

WHO GIVES A poo poo TIER: Kingsley, Josie, Shales

I think Oregon periodically creeps up into gold tier when she's hanging out with Vod or talking about her horse.

Also I hope we get to see more of the nerdy Indian/Pakistani(?) girl macking on Howard.

sex pervert posted:

The trailers put me off watching this and I only caught the last two episodes because I found myself in such a vegetative state that I couldn't reach for the tellybox. Was this a comedy?

It's a character-driven black comedy that somehow manages to be both ascerbic and heartwarming. The characters are very well-drawn portraits of college-age "types" and the writing can be really sharp. It took a couple of episodes to get me hooked but I'm really looking forward to the next series.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

sex pervert posted:

Was this a comedy?

I watched an episode and wondered exactly this. Much like Trollied, it seemed like a drama that presents fairly believable and reasonably well-observed characters in down-to-earth situations with mild humour elements.

Funnily enough, I didn't get much of a laugh out of either.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

h_double posted:

GOD TIER: Vod, Howard

GOLD TIER: JP, Dan (geology teacher), Ruth (Asian drama chick)

SILVER TIER: Howard's creepy man-stalker, Oregon, Paul

WHO GIVES A poo poo TIER: Kingsley, Josie, Shales

I think Oregon periodically creeps up into gold tier when she's hanging out with Vod or talking about her horse.

Also I hope we get to see more of the nerdy Indian/Pakistani(?) girl macking on Howard.

It's a character-driven black comedy that somehow manages to be both ascerbic and heartwarming. The characters are very well-drawn portraits of college-age "types" and the writing can be really sharp. It took a couple of episodes to get me hooked but I'm really looking forward to the next series.

yeah I actually ended up enjoying it quite a lot. Vod is by far the funniest though, her lines are great and the actress is brilliant. Actually laughed out loud in the latest episode when she was eating that celery, it was just so stupid and weird but acted perfectly

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone else think it sort of surreal seeing The Fast Show in a internet banner add? I know it is coming back but whoah.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anyone else think it sort of surreal seeing The Fast Show in a internet banner add? I know it is coming back but whoah.

First two are already out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdLZ9P9RdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGxcx7T970

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I really need to pay attention to the news more. Are they worth watching?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's quite good, worth a watch.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

It's quite good, worth a watch.

I'll save it for the weekend then, still got to catch up on Him and Her.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Whatever, just so long as they are vulnerable and different.

The latest RHO (RHO!) is all about disability, pretty good stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0174gl1/Richard_Herrings_Objective_Series_2_The_Wheelchair/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It just amazes me how many levels of horrible they've made the Laura character in Him And Her every time she appears.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

SeanBeansShako posted:

It just amazes me how many levels of horrible they've made the Laura character in Him And Her every time she appears.

I watched it for the first time the other night. I'm guessing Laura is the one planning on voting BNP?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The trailer for Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TmXRrDpP8

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Padje posted:

I watched it for the first time the other night. I'm guessing Laura is the one planning on voting BNP?

Pretty much. She is just as horrible as her boyfriend too.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brown Moses posted:

The trailer for Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TmXRrDpP8

looks like it could be amazing. Great music choice as well. Not sure about one of them being co-written by Konnie though, surely she's far too innocent and lovely to write dark, biting satire

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm sure Brooker's demonseed has infected her worldview by now, we can hope :)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Squalitude posted:

I honestly can't wait to see how he handles the news of his first child. I personally hope it actually cheers him up a little as he can work a little bit of good in this terrible world.

Can't wait to see all the episodes of that program never the less.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Squalitude posted:

already happened years ago.

http://youtu.be/qTddBiNEPPw

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I honestly can't wait to see how he handles the news of his first child. I personally hope it actually cheers him up a little as he can work a little bit of good in this terrible world.

He was doing good work by brutally and hilariously making people aware of the flaws of modern media and advertising :colbert:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

keep punching joe posted:

already happened years ago.

http://youtu.be/qTddBiNEPPw

That was actually how they met apparently!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Paperhouse posted:

looks like it could be amazing. Great music choice as well. Not sure about one of them being co-written by Konnie though, surely she's far too innocent and lovely to write dark, biting satire

I've seen this before, but wanted to watch it again purely because of the sublimely chosen Portishead. It goes absolutely perfectly with it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Bit of a goony post, but I watched last week's HIGNFY last night and David Mitchell's "good old fashioned British terrorists" bit is lifted straight out of a Stewart Lee routine, for shame.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Is anyone actually watching Children in Need?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

He was doing good work by brutally and hilariously making people aware of the flaws of modern media and advertising :colbert:

Hey he can do both. The man does have some crazy mood swings.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Brown Moses posted:

Hell yes. Never miss it.

I... I don't have `10K to spend on Doctor Who's clothes. Other than that, it's good.

Edit : Question, that surprise guest on Stricktly does Children in Need, was that the original dancing newsreader from waaaay back in the Morcambe and Wise show?

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 18, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I didn't even realise it was on tonight. I actually donated to someone collecting for it earlier, and it didn't even cross my mind that it would be on tonight. The important question: is there a Doctor Who bit, and have I missed it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Will the newsreaders do a dance, or is it safe to turn on the telly?
e: lol Gok Wan forced the director to use a direct overhead shot in order to hide his poo poo dancing.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2011

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
:spergin:ing hard over the discs clipping through each other behind Wogan.

ChuckDHead posted:

The important question: is there a Doctor Who bit, and have I missed it?

Yeah, the screen went fuzzy and his clothes fell off.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

boner meter posted:

:spergin:ing hard over the discs clipping through each other behind Wogan.

Yeah, the screen went fuzzy and his clothes fell off.

They always rerun the Doctor Who bit anyway. Also, they're auctioning off the Doctor's clothes, it's up to almost 12K pounds on Ebay. I'm hoping there will be more Doctor Who, because the auction also includes the signed script from the Children in Need bit, and it's probably the script from the clothes bit, but a man can dream about another Time Crash with Smith, Tennant and Ecclestone.

Edit : Holy crap this is it for me... This is that moment. It will happen to everybody, but I never thought it would happen to me. That boyband on now. They're children. They are loving children ! How can they have careers and poo poo already? I'm there. That horrible moment you realise you are no longer young, you are old. OLD ! Must... Purchase...A...Cardigan...

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 18, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Hoops posted:

Bit of a goony post, but I watched last week's HIGNFY last night and David Mitchell's "good old fashioned British terrorists" bit is lifted straight out of a Stewart Lee routine, for shame.

He addressed this on Twitter. Said he wasn't aware and just made the sake observation.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Brown Moses posted:

gently caress no.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I forgot it was even on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I've got it on in the background, it's a poor year. Terry Wogan should be ashamed of himself.