Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Machinegunboyo posted:

I've read it like 5 times and still no idea what he's talking about TBH.

I think he's talking about how good the headline is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

I think he's talking about how good the headline is.
Billy Haisley is one of those people who thinks that if you use randomly-long, hilariously elaborate sentences with lots of long words thrown in then it automatically makes you look really smart.

Just about every article he writes has a sentence or two that makes no loving sense whatsoever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I mean, look at this poo poo:

quote:

These rules, as so coherently laid out above, will certainly help grow the league by facilitating the introduction of new players of a higher quality, being as their salaries will be higher than what is currently allowed by the salary cap, and while a cynic may ask why they don’t simply open the market up and either greatly expand the existing cap or get rid of it all together, which would negate the need for these overlong and partially misleading rules (all of this is money can be used, it doesn’t have to be, and as evidenced by the existing Designated Player and TAM rules which are utilized to vastly different degrees from team to team now, there’s no reason to expect each team to actually “invest” these funds to the maximum allotted levels) and then answer his own question by pointing out how the money, if unused, eventually reverts back to “the league” a.k.a. the various franchise owners as a whole who themselves share ownership of MLS, rendering that $37 million figure if not wholly illusory then at least highly speculative and exaggerated, and subsequently posit that the real goal of the ever-changing rule book is to continually obfuscate the processes that allegedly constrain the centrally controlled league’s behavior, adding in clause after technicality after loophole until no one really knows why moves happen the way they do and no one can complain when, say, Clint Dempsey lands exactly where the league office wants him, or when that same club can now offer a salary high enough to sign a potential star homegrown player, like Stanford’s Jordan Morris, to ensure that their preferred markets stay competitive without ever facing the market pressures of any of the other top leagues they keep promising to contend with Very Soon Now, Just You Wait, that would entail specious reasoning that, if included in one big string of words, would be no more clear or concise than the rules he so cynically sought to lambaste.

That's a 332-word sentence.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

holy hell

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What the gently caress. Who pays someone to write like that?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

I tried but it was impossible to get through. Who's behind that atrocity?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

What the gently caress. Who pays someone to write like that?

hey thanks, because of you i had to google the answer to that question and read this horrific paragraph

quote:

It seems almost quaint now to remember that last summer, the fallen wonderkid Xherdan Shaqiri at first rejected, before accepting, the bejeweled life raft Stoke City tossed him in order to rescue him from Inter’s bench and the career obsolescence that loomed dangerously close. Stoke are a mainstay in the biggest, best-paying league in the world, and would be so overjoyed at having a well-pedigreed forward like Shaqiri on their roster that they’d give him every single opportunity to succeed on the pitch—a proposition nowhere near guaranteed for him at any of the bigger clubs around Europe he presumably thought were more befitting of his talents—and yet he prevaricated. Shaqiri eventually did bring himself to take the great gig Stoke were offering, joined the Premier League, and got every chance to show what he could do, and what he did wasn’t all that impressive. Maybe “lowly” old Stoke was close to his actual level, after all.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

Crazy Ted posted:

quote:

It seems almost quaint now to remember that last summer, the fallen wonderkid Xherdan Shaqiri at first rejected, before accepting, the bejeweled life raft Stoke City tossed him in order to rescue him from Inter’s bench and the career obsolescence that loomed dangerously close. Stoke are a mainstay in the biggest, best-paying league in the world, and would be so overjoyed at having a well-pedigreed forward like Shaqiri on their roster that they’d give him every single opportunity to succeed on the pitch—a proposition nowhere near guaranteed for him at any of the bigger clubs around Europe he presumably thought were more befitting of his talents—and yet he prevaricated. Shaqiri eventually did bring himself to take the great gig Stoke were offering, joined the Premier League, and got every chance to show what he could do, and what he did wasn’t all that impressive. Maybe “lowly” old Stoke was close to his actual level, after all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

wicka posted:

holy hell
That's the fun part about trying to be a level-headed football fan in US: you're pretty much always stuck between "Keep Portland Weird Aspie Special Deluxe" and that loving guy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lightbulb Grease posted:

[/quote]

I'm the zero or fewer adverbs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

That's the fun part about trying to be a level-headed football fan in US: you're pretty much always stuck between "Keep Portland Weird Aspie Special Deluxe" and that loving guy.

"that loving guy" is basically what it was like to be 15 and think everything new you discovered was going to be Your Thing

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

hey thanks, because of you i had to google the answer to that question and read this horrific paragraph

erm, if you needed a thesaurus to know any of those words I think u need a bigger vocab mate

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

JFairfax posted:

erm, if you needed a thesaurus to know any of those words I think u need a bigger vocab mate

it is not that his selection of verbiage is fundamentally obscure, but rather that the words he so selectively assembled seem incongruous with i can't do this anymore but i think you get my point

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
haha yeah, I get the point. I am just not being nice wicka

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
lol, just lol if you don't use "prevaricate" at least five times a day in conversations

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

my eyes just glaze over after the fourth comma. what the gently caress. how did this guy write this without losing focus

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
very, carefully

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

dex_sda posted:

my eyes just glaze over after the fourth comma. what the gently caress. how did this guy write this without losing focus
Maybe he actually writes something completely normal at the start, and then feeds it through Google translate in twelve different languages before translating it back to English.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
im an academic and i loving hate that guys writing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Part of my job involves writing reports (Technical and otherwise) that are specifically supposed to be as concise and to-the-point as possible. I read Billy Haisley articles for the same reason that you'd watch a really bad horror movie.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

What are your thoughts on his 10k-word piece on Casillas and Mourinho that's padded out with numerous block quotes?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

What are your thoughts on his 10k-word piece on Casillas and Mourinho that's padded out with numerous block quotes?

:barf:

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I'm a terrible person but

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Suqit posted:

I'm a terrible person but

Reported (for child abuse).

sticksy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 28, 2016

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wrong. Thread. What the gently caress.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Wrong. Thread. What the gently caress.

what the hell is wrong with you, it's horrible

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Nostradingus posted:

what the hell is wrong with you, it's horrible

I think he thought he was in the other thread

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It's everyone's favourite time of year, the day when puntastic Halloween XIs get posted up!

First up, ESPN have kept it simple this year:

Stepping things up, we have the Mirror's effort. Top marks for "Ron Vlaar You Afraid Of The Dark".

But finally, the winner has to be the Express:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Silence Of The Lahm would be funny but the writer ruined it by putting Philipp in parentheses so you know who it's referring to

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm still laughing at Ron Vlaar You Afraid Of The Dark, that's genius

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Leighton Brains is simple and effective, I like it OP

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154772134000982&id=8585725981

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

tbh they could have just put Ribery in the eleven without really changing anything

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Email to Football365, guess the location of the writer:

quote:

Arsenal’s attack
Hello, Mr. Storey. As always, love your work. Yesterday in Winners and Losers you talked about the increased efficiency in Arsenal’s attack. Stat-crazed as I am, I look out for those things, and although this is probably too long and stat-heavy for the mailbox, you may find it useful.

Super stat boffins will tell you that the two basic stats that overall best predict league success are 1) shots on target ratio (yours vs your opponents) and 2) total shots ratio (yours vs your opponents). They’re also stats that tend to stay relatively consistent over the course of time. Here’s a link that goes over the idea, and also talks about the much more fancy stat of Expected Goals:

At the moment, as you say, Arsenal are eighth in shots on target and ninth in chances created (another way of saying total shots). Factoring in shots they’ve allowed, Arsenal are eighth in shots on target ratio and seventh in total shots ratio. That is unequivocally bad for a title-contending team. The only team that has won the title, or even come close, with comparable stats, was Leicester City last year.

But what about the good news – that they’re more efficient this year, scoring more goals because they’re converting a higher percentage of their chances? Well, the boffins will also tell you that conversion rate is one of the least consistent stats, one of the hardest to maintain for long periods. So if you’re relying primarily on a high conversion rate on a small number of chances, you’re going against the odds. For some reason I can’t seem to find a good link for this.

But there is some good news here, and very interesting news at that. Arsenal’s current conversion rate is 15.2%. In the past ten years, five clubs in the league have managed to post a higher conversion rate for the full season. So although Arsenal’s conversion rate is unlikely to continue that high, it’s not impossible. More importantly, Arsene Wenger has recently experimented with a strategy designed to maximize conversion rate. The strategy is simple: take shots from better positions.

This started last year, when Arsenal, for the first time since we have data, took an extraordinarily low percentage of their shots from outside the area, only 27.7%, compared to a league-wide 41.4%. What was the result? The exact opposite of what you’d expect: Arsenal wound up with the lowest conversion rate they’d had in 10 years. Why? My guess is that players ordered to shoot much less from outside got off their natural rhythm, and also that teams figured out Arsenal wouldn’t shoot from distance and packed the area.

This year, though, their shots from outside the box are at 36.4%, still on the low side of the league average 42.5%, but not absurdly low. Maybe, just maybe, Wenger has figured out a balance for this squad between using longer shots to keep the defense honest and the team comfortable, and closer-in shots for better goal chances. Odds are still that they’ll have to boost their ratios of shots and shots on target. But if they can somehow keep the conversion rate high, they could make a serious run at the title.

Peter G, Pennsylvania, USA

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
drat, I came here to post that mess. I guess my DZSiBoT numbers just aren't cutting it anymore :(

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

HJB posted:

It's everyone's favourite time of year, the day when puntastic Halloween XIs get posted up!

Amazing...wrong thread etc.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Mods rename me Super Stat Boffin

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Guess who this is about :

quote:

Christ, this bellend is even more cringeworthy than Schexy Schteve McLaren in Holland.

Since when did he become full on Oirish, to be sure... :)

Brendan Rodgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Has Brendan adapted an Irish accent?