Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

pragan4 posted:

I don't know about the SGS3 in particular but in stock android you go to settings > click the name of your account > signature, and delete whatever garbage is there. Knowing Sprint it says "Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on the NOW Network from Sprint".

Why would anyone actually want that signature? I like "sent from my mobile" because I think it gives me an excuse to write short replies.

Yep, that got it, much appreciated. Wow some of these settings are pretty obscure. I think it throws me off that in touchwhiz you can click on the toggle switches for more options (it was under the toggle switch for enable/disable signature). I really don't recall Sense working that way. I don't know how they expect people that are less tech savvy to figure out some of this (I'm guessing they just don't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

I'm pretty sure the credit for phone thing only works if you're signing another contract.

Nope, the rules are this:

In store, it goes towards store credit. Pretty sure that applies to corporate stores too.

Mail in, can be applied towards a bill. Note it takes 2 months usually to hit, so while it could help to pay off an ETF, you might end up getting a late fee.

In the end, sell it in Craigslist in most cases.

Oh and does anyone using this phone have signal issues? No dropped calls yet, but it noticeably goes into roaming quicker than other phones.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 7, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Well, I pulled the trigger on the EVO today. I was pretty set on the Galaxy S3 but the EVO screen was the deciding factor. Love that screen!

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I took the glitchy S3 and they swapped it easy peasy. That was a relief. Maybe all my previous experiences at a third party store just set the expectation so low that a proper corporate store's service just blew me a way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder what the lag time will be for the 4.1 upgrade to hit Sprint GNexuses. I know it's probably not hitting the GS3 or EvoLTE until Thanksgiving or Xmas at the earliest, but this is the GN we're talking about. How long will Sprint take to greenlight it and roll it out once it gets released?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I wonder what the lag time will be for the 4.1 upgrade to hit Sprint GNexuses. I know it's probably not hitting the GS3 or EvoLTE until Thanksgiving or Xmas at the earliest, but this is the GN we're talking about. How long will Sprint take to greenlight it and roll it out once it gets released?

Well, ICS was announced in what, October or November? The Nexus S on sprint go it in April.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, ICS was announced in what, October or November? The Nexus S on sprint go it in April.

I think both the Nexus S 4G and LTE Galaxy Nexus will get 4.1 a bit faster than before this time.

Didn't 4.0.4 get to the NS4G about a week or two after the GSM version did?

Of course, this could all be wishful thinking...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

AOSP "support" for the NS4G arrived in December at the same time as the GSM model, including updated proprietary blobs. There's not really a good reason that the NS4G update ended up being pushed so late other than "ICS is buggy", which, frankly, was to be expected a bit given the size and scope of the update.

Since the JB update isn't nearly the drastic change that ICS is, it should go through much more quickly. If it doesn't, we'll have a better idea of what's wrong in the QA/testing process.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Going by the 2.3.7 and 4.0.4 rollouts, it should start roughly 1 week after the GSM version hits. The lag is probably due to the additional Google Wallet verification they have to do.

Duckman2008 posted:

The GSM Nexus S got an OTA to ICS 4.0.3 (an incremental update to the 4.0 which launched with the Galaxy Nexus) in December, which was promptly pulled after 2 weeks due to widespread battery drain/instability complaints. Then for three months there was complete silence whilst all variants of the Nexus S couldn't update past Gingerbread 2.3.6/2.3.7 and even the flagship GSM Galaxy Nexus was stuck on an old version of ICS until they released 4.0.4, the "fixed" version of ICS.

LiquidFusion
Feb 11, 2004
Ezra < Me < Jake
Friend of mine just got a Galaxy Nexus. Is there a car dock that has the cables plugged into the dock? I have this dock for the gs2, and I love not having to push in the cables every time. Does something like that exist for the Galaxy Nexus? It appears on amazon that it doesn't, but sometimes it's hard to find things.

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003
So we are having a little trouble doing a simple phone swap for a friend on my shared plan. He now has a hand-me-down Evo 4G (wimax) he obtained from a mutual friend of ours not on the account, who has recently upgraded to the Evo 4G LTE. We are trying to do a phone swap on sprint.com and it keeps telling me that I need to change my plan to something with data, and he'll need to pay a $10 premium data charge.

The problem is my plan already includes unlimited data, and all 3 phones on my plan are already being charged for premium data.

He currently has an LG Optimus, and it keeps telling me that since this new phone has "additional features" I need a new plan. It doesn't even give shared plan options just individual ones.

Any advice, anyone? We're trying to avoid having to go to a sprint store since they're going to hit me with an activation fee. I went through 4 phones in 2010 and swapped them out the exact same way each time and never had this issue come up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hydrogen_Otter posted:

He currently has an LG Optimus, and it keeps telling me that since this new phone has "additional features" I need a new plan.
Probably has to do with the WiMAX device requiring a different "plan" (feature code, whatever) than 3G-only devices, even though from your perspective it's all the exact same.

Try calling *2 and see if they'll sort it out for you. If possible, it's best to call from a phone that's not involved in the swap.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

LiquidFusion posted:

Friend of mine just got a Galaxy Nexus. Is there a car dock that has the cables plugged into the dock? I have this dock for the gs2, and I love not having to push in the cables every time. Does something like that exist for the Galaxy Nexus? It appears on amazon that it doesn't, but sometimes it's hard to find things.

CDMA Gnex's don't use the POGO pins. But you could buy and program and nfc tag that enters car dock mode for you when you put it in the dock... but you will still need to plug in audio and power.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Turnquiet posted:

CDMA Gnex's don't use the POGO pins. But you could buy and program and nfc tag that enters car dock mode for you when you put it in the dock... but you will still need to plug in audio and power.

Incorrect.

The CDMA GNEX does use the POGO pins for charging and even audio. But the car dock that Google sells on the play store does not fit the CDMA version of the phone properly with out a little modifications and the CDMA car dock that Samsung was selling doesn't have the pins, and uses USB instead.

see below

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1493797
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614287

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I saw that Rogers' Evo 3D got its ICS update now. Surely Sprint's is right around the corner... right? Right?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

brc64 posted:

I saw that Rogers' Evo 3D got its ICS update now. Surely Sprint's is right around the corner... right? Right?

Sprint's time frame of late June is becoming less and less likely as I realize it's actually July.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="405316428"]
Sprint's time frame of late June is becoming less and less likely as I realize it's actually July.

I already gave up and just got a custom ROM. I really think they don't care about the Evo 3D ever since they dumped it off to Virgin Mobile. Seems like the strategy is to frustrate the poo poo out of you so you early upgrade.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yep, rewards me plus. Finally got rewarded for working every drat Sunday, I was one of the first to order. Think god, I hate the blue one.
I was at home, and my power was out. Kept refreshing the site on my phone - it finally popped up with 0 in stock, then 500. By the time I was done putting in the order (I live in the middle of nowhere, my signal sucks) they had 491.

I was going to try for the nexus last month, but apparently they sold out instantly. I wasn't going to miss this one, natural disasters (well, extreme storms at least) be damned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="405316428"]

Watch Evo 3D be the new Epic 4G.

God I still hate that phone, a loving year later.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Watch Evo 3D be the new Epic 4G.

At least the ICS leaks are rock solid for the 3D. I couldn't care less when official ICS comes out.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

At least the ICS leaks are rock solid for the 3D. I couldn't care less when official ICS comes out.

I don't want to flash my 3D because it breaks so often that re flashing it to go get it serviced is too much hassle. I flashed my first 3 epics, then gave it up. And the epic was easier to return to stock than the Evo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bigpolar posted:

I don't want to flash my 3D because it breaks so often that re flashing it to go get it serviced is too much hassle. I flashed my first 3 epics, then gave it up. And the epic was easier to return to stock than the Evo.

You know, for all the poo poo I give Samsung, Odin is a great tool.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Isn't it just as easy as downloading the RUU? Wouldn't that return it back to stock for returns?

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.
I checked back a few pages to see if anyone had asked this already, so forgive me if it has. Is there any way to add the EPRP discount to an existing Sprint line or am I doomed to pay full price until I upgrade?

Not really that big of a deal since it's only :10bux:, but hey, any discount is better than nothing.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You're doomed. That's not something that can be put on your account after the fact.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

You missed its good year.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

speed hump posted:

I checked back a few pages to see if anyone had asked this already, so forgive me if it has. Is there any way to add the EPRP discount to an existing Sprint line or am I doomed to pay full price until I upgrade?

Not really that big of a deal since it's only :10bux:, but hey, any discount is better than nothing.

You would have to leave sprint for a while and come back, or work for sprint then quit. Upgrade won't help, it is only for new customers and as an option for severing employees.

Instead look into employer discounts, they can be comparable and some dumb reps won't confirm anything.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Giblet posted:

You would have to leave sprint for a while and come back,
If you share your plan with someone else, you can switch to EPRP by virtue of having said other person sign up for it, then port your numbers to Google Voice and back in (or just leave them on GV). You'll have to be out of contract though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You missed its good year.

I bought it at release, and the only thing redeeming about it was the lesson I learned. After which I bought the Evo 3D at release, and then the Galaxy nexus at release, and now I'm never going to buy another non-Nexus phone.

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.
Yeah that's all pretty much what I figured. As long as they keep carrying good android phones I'll gladly live without the discount. I mean, we're not Sprint customers because of their service, right? :haw:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
How does the Airrave work? I know it plugs into your home internet, but does it create a publicly accessible network point or is it just for private use?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How does the Airrave work? I know it plugs into your home internet, but does it create a publicly accessible network point or is it just for private use?

I believe it is public but the range is probably comparable to a mediocre wireless g router. Your neighbors won't be piggy backing off you unless you live in a paper house.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Giblet posted:

I believe it is public but the range is probably comparable to a mediocre wireless g router. Your neighbors won't be piggy backing off you unless you live in a paper house.

You can whitelist certain phones:
http://now.sprint.com/airave/files/AIRAVE_Access_Point_FAQs.pdf

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Giblet posted:

Mine picks up for almost a block from my house somehow. Any sprint phone can hop on it, unless you go in the settings and restrict it to certain numbers

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

You would have to leave sprint for a while and come back, or work for sprint then quit. Upgrade won't help, it is only for new customers and as an option for severing employees.

Instead look into employer discounts, they can be comparable and some dumb reps won't confirm anything.

FYI sprint now has a specific department that must confirm your discount or it doesn't get approved.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

uapyro posted:

Mine picks up for almost a block from my house somehow. Any sprint phone can hop on it, unless you go in the settings and restrict it to certain numbers

Mine barely makes it 75 feet to my bedroom. It seems really random.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

mastershakeman posted:

Mine barely makes it 75 feet to my bedroom. It seems really random.

I wish I could get 75 feet from mine - that'd be like 73.5 feet further than I can get now. Seriously, this thing loving sucks. I can be sitting directly next to mine, and the call quality will be total poo poo. Yeah, I have 5 bars, yeah, I know its connecting though the Airrave as I get the 3 beeps, but it doesn't matter. Forget going the whole 35 feet up to the front of the house - I am lucky if I can get 1 bar up there.

I hate the Airrave so much.

EDIT: No, its not my internet. I have a 25mbit connection, and voice chat though other programs works perfectly fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SneakyCracker posted:

I wish I could get 75 feet from mine - that'd be like 73.5 feet further than I can get now. Seriously, this thing loving sucks. I can be sitting directly next to mine, and the call quality will be total poo poo. Yeah, I have 5 bars, yeah, I know its connecting though the Airrave as I get the 3 beeps, but it doesn't matter. Forget going the whole 35 feet up to the front of the house - I am lucky if I can get 1 bar up there.

I hate the Airrave so much.

Have them exchange it? The airrave I have at my mom's is in the basement and it works throughout the two story house.

Just got my galaxy 3, and eh. Not impressed, too much crap ware and I don't like the build quality that much. I like the galaxy nexus way better bboth feel wise and software wise

I don't know what to think about the stock keyboard, it's both pretty good and pretty drat irritating, specifically with words it doesn't know and I can't get the comma to be on the main keyboard page.

Either way, looks like I am finally replacing my arrive, of all phones I used that one pretty consistently for work.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Duckman2008 posted:

Just got my galaxy 3, and eh. Not impressed, too much crap ware and I don't like the build quality that much. I like the galaxy nexus way better bboth feel wise and software wise
Root it and uninstall the crapware or just hide the icons. If you want the AOSP apps instead of the Touchwiz apps, I'm pretty sure there is a thread on XDA for that. As for the build quality, slap a Diztronic case on that thing and you'll never notice.

quote:

I don't know what to think about the stock keyboard, it's both pretty good and pretty drat irritating, specifically with words it doesn't know and I can't get the comma to be on the main keyboard page.
This is Android. Just replace the keyboard with something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Root it and uninstall the crapware or just hide the icons. If you want the AOSP apps instead of the Touchwiz apps, I'm pretty sure there is a thread on XDA for that. As for the build quality, slap a Diztronic case on that thing and you'll never notice.

This is Android. Just replace the keyboard with something better.

The stock ICS keyboard is better, Samsung has something like swift key setup on theirs. And I probably will root, point is as always that it's retarded that you have to.

Everyone complained about all the crap in Sense 3.0, which actually never bothered me that much. This seems to be even more bloat on it, echo just seems to be crazy,