Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

To dig up this post from a few pages back:

I actually wrote a FATE adaptation of Homestuck. There's an early version of it posted somewhere in the Play-by-Post archives, I think - I've made some tweaks since then.

Unfortunately, I'm really not good at the whole Play-by-post thing. I'll have to see if I have it backed up on this computer somewhere - I probably do.

How long ago was this? I think a Homestuck pen and paper game could benefit from takinga few cues from the Dresden Files RPG if you are using FATE. The tweaked FATE rules in Dresden allow for things like character advancement, which is kind of a thing in Homestuck but isn't really modelled in the core FATE ruleset. I've always liked the idea of playing a Homestuck based game, but it's hard enough getting ourgroup together every two weeks for DnD let alone anything more modern.

Edit: vvvv There are plenty of rules-lite systems out there that aren't to the level of complexity of Hackmaster or anything, but still have rules to give the game some narrative structure so it isn't just passing the story stick around. Depends on what you like in a game, I think.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Welp, with the lull currently going on I feel there is no better time than now to post this.

That this hasn't been done yet (at least to my knowledge) made me feel like I had to fill a void.
This is terrible and they are 13 years old and oh god what is wrong with you.

RE: PLAY BY POST: Bunch of internet buddies and I managed to slap together an Sburb RP at a whim. It was pure forum-based RP, no game mechanics, no math, just imagination. We never finished the RP because other stuff happened, but it was really good while it lasted. I think Sburb is best played as we did it since the game is built on story and character development, not rules and numbers.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
A few friends and I set up a Sburb game through instant messaging and Pesterchum. It was surprisingly fun and I would definitely do it again with some Goons or something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lady of the Beech posted:

RE: PLAY BY POST: Bunch of internet buddies and I managed to slap together an Sburb RP at a whim. It was pure forum-based RP, no game mechanics, no math, just imagination. We never finished the RP because other stuff happened, but it was really good while it lasted. I think Sburb is best played as we did it since the game is built on story and character development, not rules and numbers.

The only "system" that I could see playing Sburb with is the idiotic pseudo-game Roll to Dodge that people play on some forums, since it allows for mundane actions such as picking things up to randomly succeed or fail with spectacular results. Although, true to form, you'd probably want to scale back the number of rolls taken once the hilarity of everyone accidentally destroying their houses with inventory shenanigans wears off.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
If there's a goon Sburb thing via IM/Pester/etc, I might be interested in shenaniganing it up.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

This is terrible and they are 13 years old and oh god what is wrong with you.

Not to defend it, but Vriska is bleeding from her chest in the edit. It's safe to say that it has nothing to do with miscarriage (despite its being the subject of the original unedited comic) and more to do with Vriska's death.

But seriously, let's keep this poo poo in the PYF thread
e:(or none)

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 30, 2012

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The only "system" that I could see playing Sburb with is the idiotic pseudo-game Roll to Dodge that people play on some forums, since it allows for mundane actions such as picking things up to randomly succeed or fail with spectacular results. Although, true to form, you'd probably want to scale back the number of rolls taken once the hilarity of everyone accidentally destroying their houses with inventory shenanigans wears off.

Yeah, we didn't use a system for our game. We did have inventory shenanigans and petty arguments between characters, though, game derails and in-jokes, and time loops up the wazoo. I feel like our game was quite true to the spirit of Homestuck.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 30, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I really want to do something like this. Count me in whenever we decide on a concrete plan.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Yeah, I've never played DnD or done any other kind of roleplaying thing but I'd definitely be up with trying something like that out.

KoB
May 1, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

They're given their titles to challenge them. :pseudo:

We dont know that, that was just one of the Troll's conjectures.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Enough people seem interested in some Sburb RP, so if you want to figure something out for an IM/PC Sburb thing, e-mail goonstuck@live.com with a few details:

Character Name
Short Description of room
Guardian
Pesterchum Name

I'm limiting applicants to around 6 to 8, because more than that takes some work to get organized and stuff. I'll be using an improv type system to run it, using a framework that a friend made a while ago specifically for Sburb-type games.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Sburb RP

Sent you an email.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Ominous Jazz posted:

Sent you an email.

Yep, got yours, and Graybook's too.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Hopefully in the time it took to bullshit that email 6 people didn't decide to jump on that like a hawk.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Sent off the email! Okay that took too much time to write. I'm really good at deliberating at things for way longer than necessary.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Oh man this sounds like fun, hope I didn't write too little :ohdear: Even if I don't get in, I'd like to see how this pans out - it sounds exciting!

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Ok, well, for those who want a bit more rules (though admittedly, not a lot more), here's my Homestuck FATE rules, slightly updated.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

FATE Homestuck:

Mandatory Aspects: These are simply the aspects that the game requires; if the GM wants to ask for more, that's certainly an option.
Basic Concept Character concept: pretty straightforward.
Strife Specibus In the true Homestuck spirit, this can be literally anything that the character can hold. These aspects are best left undefined at first, and for optimal use can be 'discovered' (read: defined) by the player early on.
Class of Element
Relationship With Guardian This especially can give the GM some idea of how to build your Land's challenges, so while it does have to be a pithy phrase, feel free to give them a lot of :words: to work with.
My Best Bro, _____ This is a background Aspect, giving you a chance to tag in someone else: this Aspect describes how your character knows, and relates to, his or her 'best bro', another player at the table. If your character hates everyone else, this is just the one you hate least, etc.

Other Traits:
Land name
Guardian Again, one of those areas where more information gives the GM more to work with. Don't just say 'Dad', say 'My Dad, the street performer and clown enthusiast!'
Prospit Dreamer/Derse Dreamer
Tier
Echeladder Rank It's up to the GM if the players know how high they are on their Echeladders, though I personally favor working with them before the game to come up with a list of thematically appropriate levels if you have time. This is a purely IC mechanic, though it's not unlikely that you'll end up gaining more Refresh as you climb your Echeladder - and therefore more stunts/powers.

Stunts:
Class/Element Powers See below for costs
Psychic (2 Refresh) This works a bit like the Minor Talent stunt from DFRPG by default; you pick one specific kind of psychic power, and may roll Dreaming to use it under stressful circumstances, though the GM could, if they wanted, open this stunt up a bit.
Psionic Resistance (2 Refresh) This means that you are specifically unable to be targeted by psionic (or other innate) powers of your own species effectively; you gain a +3 passive resistance bonus against all attempts to use them on you, but this cannot be waived or relaxed.
Awakened Dreamself (3 Refresh)

Skills:
Strife The catch-all combat skill: if it involves your Strife Specibus and Strife, this is probably what you use.
Crafting This is the skill used to make things, from .ATH computer viruses to beloved heirloom robo-bunnies to sparring brobots.
Vigor This is the skill used to resist physical harm due to environments, poison, and to perform STRONG maneuvers and similar feats.
Trolling This is the skill used to inflict social stress based on negative emotional interactions: insults, browbeating, the works. See: Karkat.
Auspistice This is the skill used to inflict social stress based on positive emotional interactions: meddling, fussing, being a palhoncho, the works.
Pulchritude This is the skill used to resist the blandishments of Auspistice and the threats of Trolling.
Dreaming This is the skill used to glean information from Skaia/the horrorterrors while dreaming, and to call on your Class/Element powers if the situation calls for a roll.
Imagination This is the skill used to recall information, resist psionic effects, and basically attempt to negate mental damage.
(Optional) Sylladex Management This is an optional skill, best used if wacky sylladex hijinks are a thing you want. I recommend starting out with this, then gradually phasing it out - and allowing the characters to reshuffle those skill points into something else.

Stress:
Physical (2+Vigor)
Mental (2+imagination)
Social (2+pulchritude)
Chronological (5) This Stress track is gained by participating in unstable time loops; every loop you open gives you 1 Chronological stress. Once this Stress Track is full, you enter a Beta Timeline and are doomed unless you can somehow either close a loop, or jump back to where you went wrong.

Consequences:
2 Mild (-2 Stress) (vanishes at end of fight)
2 Moderate (-4 Stress) (vanishes after a good nap)
2 Severe (-6 Stress) (vanishes after about a day)
1 Extreme (-8 Stress) (semi-permanent; must be deliberately healed)

Roll 4dF. Starting Refresh = 5. Starting Skill Points = 20. Skill structure works
like DFRPG:
If you have a skill at +5, you need at least one at +4, +3, +2, and +1. All skills start at +0 by default.

Class/Element Powers as follows:
Type of Action: Attack +1/Block +1/Maneuver +0/Movement +1 This is pretty straightforward: what does your power actually function as? A Maneuver, creating and placing an Aspect on the situation or a target, is the default, but for a small outlay of Refresh you can do something else with it instead.
Area of Effect: Single-Target +0/Zone +1/Multiple Zones +2 Again, simple: By default, most powers are meant to be one target at a time. However, it's worth noting that by purchasing a wider area of effect, you can still attempt to target just one individual (or one Zone) with your powers.
Duration: Shifts rolled in rounds +0/One scene +1/Until next refresh +2/Until effect removed +3
Deployed: Item-dependent +0/Item-based +1/Innate +2 The difference between item-dependent and item-based is that while an item-based power might, at GM's discretion, function more efficiently or effectively with an item, it will still function without it: for example, Rose's majiks are item-based, but as she discovers, they are not dependent on them. Whereas Dave's time travel powers are completely dependent, at least pre-god tier, on his turntables. An innate power requires nothing in the way of props: see John and the Windy Thing.

Alchemizing:
The player whose character is alchemizing can pick up to two Aspects
each item has, and create a new item with it - subject to GM approval
(i.e, if the GM feels that it is too powerful, they are free to rule
that the player lacks the appropriate amount/types of Grist.)

Awakened Dreamself (3 Refresh)
You're already awake on Derse or Prospit!
If on Prospit, you can roll Dreaming at any time that you are awake on the moon to Consult the Oracle Clouds: The GM reveals one useful Aspect from a future event. It is up to you to determine when that Aspect comes into play, though you may tag any appropriate situation with it once for free and declare that this was the situation you saw in your dream.
If you're on Derse, you can roll Dreaming at any time to Speak with the Horrorterrors: This functions largely as per above.

The Class/Element Powers thing is meant to be expensive at first, because how many of the original players/trolls had their powers prior to actually entering the Medium? Not many.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I'm planning on using this sheet that a friend of mine made for Homestuck. I don't know what system it's based off of, but there you go.

More clarification on classes and stuff here, though it isn't exactly going to be the player that chooses their class.

P.S Only got 1 or 2 more spots available, so get that poo poo in yo.

P.P.S Never mind, that one got plugged up quick. I'm e-mailing everyone back because I forgot to ask for AIM names so I can invite everyone to the Blast Group. Also I'm dumb.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 30, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
On the subject of Homestuck itself (madness!) Day 1025 is this week. On Groundhog Day, no less.

Something tells me we're getting a Flash.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
What the hell. I don't post on an internet forum to show off that I'm not a huge nerd

Quotetype posted:

Hopefully in the time it took to bullshit that email 6 people didn't decide to jump on that like a hawk.

Ditto! by the looks of the thread though I might have missed my place :(

Edit: Ah well, looks like I'm out. Probably for the best since I realise I forgot to write any of the cool stuff describing the Guardian in the actual email I sent. Stupid real life obligations. I wonder if anyone else in this thread has as many irons in the fire as me. I DOUBT IT

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 30, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Prison Warden posted:

What the hell. I don't post on an internet forum to show off that I'm not a huge nerd

Ditto! by the looks of the thread though I might have missed my place :(

Edit: Ah well, looks like I'm out. Stupid real life obligations. I wonder if anyone else in this thread has as many irons in the fire as me. I DOUBT IT

Well now you have one more because you're in anyway :v:. I said 6-8 and you were the 7th so I'm cutting it off now.

Email me back with your AIM username!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This Sburb RP is neat and all but if I wake up tomorrow to find the Earth bombarded by meteors I'm blaming you guys.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

This Sburb RP is neat and all but if I wake up tomorrow to find the Earth bombarded by meteors I'm blaming you guys.

I may not have gotten into the game on time but I am willing to drink my own pee out of a hat to survive!

KoB
May 1, 2009

Walliard posted:

On the subject of Homestuck itself (madness!) Day 1025 is this week. On Groundhog Day, no less.

Something tells me we're getting a Flash.

He said he was taking a few days off to finish those drawings hes been doing.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Efb: that's what I get for not jumping on the low hanging fruit right away!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Stock up on fedoras.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I didn't have time for another PbP game anyway, but if this turns out well please post the game transcripts somewhere 'cause it sounds really fun!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Well now you have one more because you're in anyway :v:. I said 6-8 and you were the 7th so I'm cutting it off now.

Email me back with your AIM username!

If you have too many applicants, clearly you should start a second, troll-like team of players and then pit them against each other.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

loquacius posted:

I didn't have time for another PbP game anyway, but if this turns out well please post the game transcripts somewhere 'cause it sounds really fun!

Put them in a hard drive somewhere out in the middle of paradox space.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

drat, missed the window because I was in class. Oh well, I look forward to reading the transcripts!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If transcripts become a thing I don't know where to post them because I don't really want to poo poo this thread up any further. Maybe an MSPAF thread? But then again, that's... MSPAF.

Conflictions!

Edit: Also I sent invites to everyone I got the AIM name of, but who knows if they went through. If you don't see anything just email me back or whatever.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Just in case you guys care

- for prototyping and that poo poo, most of the players in my game were prototyping books, including myself. At least three went in there: I remember Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Pride and Prejudice, and Ender's Game. In the future, in order to get the prototyping to be more difficult and crafty, I'd make prototyping something like a book add the qualities of the book itself rather than the qualities of the people in the book. So maybe instead of getting Elizabeth Bennet's dress and Darcy's hat, they'd get the glossy cover of the book for a face or something.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

- for prototyping and that poo poo, most of the players in my game were prototyping books, including myself. At least three went in there: I remember Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Pride and Prejudice, and Ender's Game. In the future, in order to get the prototyping to be more difficult and crafty, I'd make prototyping something like a book add the qualities of the book itself rather than the qualities of the people in the book. So maybe instead of getting Elizabeth Bennet's dress and Darcy's hat, they'd get the glossy cover of the book for a face or something.

...Ender underlings. :psypop:

That's one way to end up completely hosed over by the Imps, for sure.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Transient People posted:

...Ender underlings. :psypop:

That's one way to end up completely hosed over by the Imps, for sure.
I'm pretty sure the book was Ender's Game. Unlike P&P and Hitchhiker's Guide I did not know anything about that book though.

I don't remember having too much trouble with the imps. They did have a tough shell though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

But then I wouldn't be able to turn the imps into Xenomorphs by first-tier prototyping with an Aliens DVD :unsmigghh:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Some things prototyped in my game were:

-A gary gygax blanket
-Ninja Gaiden on NES
-A shirt from some useless redshirt from some tv show.

The imps were interesting.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

In my game were prototyped a hipster (one of the players connected in a mcdonalds and since there was a hipster sitting nearby he threw him in), some monster one of the players drew, the books I mentioned, an ipod, and some other stuff. The result was a rather... creative looking Jack Noir.

For their kernelsprites, most people did not throw in thing they had an emotional connection with, including me. In retrospect that was dumb and against the spirit of the game since kernelsprites are supposed to be drawn to the doomed and/or deceased with very rare exceptions. One player prototyped their actual dog who died in the RP, so that was in spirit.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 30, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

In my game were prototyped a hipster (one of the players connected in a mcdonalds and since there was a hipster sitting nearby he threw him in), some monster one of the players drew, the books I mentioned, an ipod, and some other stuff. The result was a rather... creative looking Jack Noir.

This implies Jack got the ring.

Man you guys suck at Sburb.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
You should have let Courtyard Droll get the ring instead.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

This implies Jack got the ring.

Man you guys suck at Sburb.

Yeah, he got the ring. I don't remember how that came about, but I do remember one of the players was crazy and mutinous and ended up being in cahoots with Jack. He probably helped him get the ring.

There was a Prospitian counterpart to Jack Noir called Jane [surname i don't remember], who took the white queen's ring after she refused to use it in retaliation to the attacks on Prospit.

We did this RP way before PM got the white queen's ring in homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Some things prototyped in my game were:

-A gary gygax blanket
-Ninja Gaiden on NES
-A shirt from some useless redshirt from some tv show.

The imps were interesting.

They have to roll d% at the start of every fight to determine which special weapon they have, but by the time that's done they're already dead? :v: