Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I really like that they're making those types of combiners and probably will end up buying them. They're fixing the main problem I had with FOC Bruticus--too gangly.

However, they really do look like the third-party versions prior to stumbling across some Super Mushrooms from Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
They're one hell of a step up from FoC Bruticus, at least. Menasor looks goofy but I appreciate the adherence to G1 colors.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Magic posted:

I really like that they're making those types of combiners and probably will end up buying them. They're fixing the main problem I had with FOC Bruticus--too gangly.

However, they really do look like the third-party versions prior to stumbling across some Super Mushrooms from Mario.

At one-fourth or less of the average 3P price, I'm more than happy with the Generations guys, I think!

I'm really so excited, I love combiners! They're just more ~transformation~ for your dollar and that's my favorite part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, looking at the pics more I'm a bit more excited. And I found a G1 Dead End and a Generations Scourge for cheap today so it's a good TF day all around.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DoctorWhat posted:

At one-fourth or less of the average 3P price, I'm more than happy with the Generations guys, I think!

I'm really so excited, I love combiners! They're just more ~transformation~ for your dollar and that's my favorite part.

This, all of this! I'll buy them too, wheeee! I want to see more pictures, look at those interchangeable Energon-style hands and feet. The limbs look mis-transformed, hire some of the Japanese Takara staff, they're ace at making turd molds look attractive.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 24, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anyone else picking up on some serious Star Convoy vibes from that Optimus? Part of me's thinking that any similarities are just a product of forming a single robot from the cab+trailer without partsforming or combining, but I’m also noticing some active design cues like the cut of the truck’s nose that seem to call back to Battlestars. Neat!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

strangehamster posted:

This, all of this! I'll buy them too, wheeee. I want to see more pictures, they look mis-transformed. Hire some of the Japanese Takara staff, they're ace at making turd molds look attractive.

TFW has panel pics with official photos of each of 'em, they look great. I guess historically I've had low standards for combiners since I unashamedly love FoC G2 Bruticus, the PCCs, the Energon Combiners; if I can stick robots together to make a bigger robot I'll probably like it, so these new guys are pushing exactly the right buttons for me.

EDIT: Oh what evil son of a bitch decided to make the wave layout for the combiners 3 Aerialbots+1 Stunticon for wave 1 and 1 Aerialbot+3 Stunticons for wave 2? :argh:

EDIT2: :stonk:

3 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 24, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Also, RID Bumblebee...

...is TOTALLY an engineering-brother of the PRID Vehicon, like wow! It's pretty transparant.

Not that I'm complaining, of course - PRID Vehicon is a work of art!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

3 posted:

Oh what evil son of a bitch decided to make the wave layout for the combiners 3 Aerialbots+1 Stunticon for wave 1 and 1 Aerialbot+3 Stunticons for wave 2? :argh:

KILL THEM ALL!

DoctorWhat posted:

...is TOTALLY an engineering-brother of the PRID Vehicon, like wow! It's pretty transparant.

Remold that som'bich into a combiner limb!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well, this mold looks much better as the true king of the road:

I retouched it a bit to make the photo clearer.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Speaking of combiners, I think I've worked out how the VOY Prime/Motormaster mold works just from stock photos.

Those tabs and slots on his thighs most likely attach to some kind of unifying codpiece after he does a split, hence the very low "thigh swivels". Those swivels are most likely on very heavy ratchets [as indicated by the slight plastic-color difference (stronger plastic) compared to the upper thighs] - they're the forwards/backwards hip joints! Then the bottoms of the legs get attached to the combiner limbs, who (as indicated by many of the SDCC figures) have their knee/shoulder joints built-in. This jibes with the prototypes we've seen, too.

The only trouble is that that scheme makes for some very squat-looking torsos compared to the limbs - as seen on Menasor. Hopefully the final versions will have tweaks to look better, possibly via the Legends-class partners.

EDIT: That Motormaster picture makes the thigh-swivel-plastic-color discrepancy much more apparant!

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Menasor looks loving awesome but I do not like the idea of combiner kibble at all.

Get it together guys.

Any photos of the team un-combined? I particularly wanna see the Legend partner.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ForeverSmug posted:

Menasor looks loving awesome but I do not like the idea of combiner kibble at all.

Get it together guys.

Any photos of the team un-combined? I particularly wanna see the Legend partner.

The combiner kibble looks like it has somewhere to go in other configurations, and it's certainly a better solution (especially for hands and feet) than what FOC Bruticus did (though I confess some fondness for Brawl's leg mode).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

Anyone else picking up on some serious Star Convoy vibes from that Optimus? Part of me's thinking that any similarities are just a product of forming a single robot from the cab+trailer without partsforming or combining, but I’m also noticing some active design cues like the cut of the truck’s nose that seem to call back to Battlestars. Neat!

It's Hoist from machine Wars.

they just seemed to have updated him and made him Optimus

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 24, 2014

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

My idea for the Stunticons was always to have the hood of the car open up, and the engine fold out into a hand, and for the trunk to open up and for the foot to fold out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only thing that bothers me about the Stunticons is that Motormaster is another semi who is not coming with a trailer.

that and vehicle mode makes him look a hell of a lot like movie galvatron. But everything else is wonderful I love his individual robot mode.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

that and vehicle mode makes him look a hell of a lot like movie galvatron. Bit everything else is wonderful I love his individual robot mode.

Well when the first Argosy pics showed up people were hoping he was Motormaster so... :shrug:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackheart posted:

Well when the first Argosy pics showed up people were hoping he was Motormaster so... :shrug:

Eh maybe.

We're going to need to see beyond those two waves though because we have Superion, Optimus Combiner(and you know one of them is going to be bumblebee), and menasor. Which are 3 waves. If everything in 2015 is combiners they're going to have to get to Defensor because after that you're left with nothing but Computron, the Seacons, and Abominus as far as scramble city type dudes go.

Unless they want to make Devastator and predaking a SC type dude. All these other combiners are 6 team deals. And it's becoming pretty clear that Hasbro is buying third party toys and reverse engineering them.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

From what they said at the panel it sounds like Optimus doesn't have designated limbs, he's just for fun to exploit the Scramble City gimmick.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Eh maybe.

We're going to need to see beyond those two waves though because we have Superion, Optimus Combiner(and you know one of them is going to be bumblebee), and menasor. Which are 3 waves. If everything in 2015 is combiners they're going to have to get to Defensor because after that you're left with nothing but Computron, the Seacons, and Abominus as far as scramble city type dudes go.

Unless they want to make Devastator and predaking a SC type dude. All these other combiners are 6 team deals. And it's becoming pretty clear that Hasbro is buying third party toys and reverse engineering them.

Pretty sure

The Taint Reaper posted:

Eh maybe.

Aren't we gettting a redeco series of Protectobots? I doubt they'd double up on the same characters.

A six-man Devestator team is doable if the torso is just two Deluxes. It'd do pretty good for the proportions too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ForeverSmug posted:

Pretty sure

Aren't we gettting a redeco series of Protectobots? I doubt they'd double up on the same characters.

A six-man Devestator team is doable if the torso is just two Deluxes. It'd do pretty good for the proportions too.

Yeah, but do they then try to make ALL the components, including the torso guys, able to turn into limbs?

... can all the limbs become torso-halves?

WHEN DOES THE MADNESS END?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Keldroc posted:

From what they said at the panel it sounds like Optimus doesn't have designated limbs, he's just for fun to exploit the Scramble City gimmick.

Moving on from faces to the whole transformers. Greed is a sin Optimus.

DoctorWhat posted:

Better forearms, 100% for that.

The Taint Reaper posted:

One of the cars even has a similar hood to Chromedomes.

Not that it's happening, but he'd better be a Dead End repaint.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, but do they then try to make ALL the components, including the torso guys, able to turn into limbs?

... can all the limbs become torso-halves?

WHEN DOES THE MADNESS END?

Nah, I'd say the torso parts would be torsos only. They could even pack them together like the other torsos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is just no way they won't release a boxed set of the full combiners, so worrying about buying them individually seems kinda pointless.

I'm pretty confident that they're hastily mistransformed and honestly even then they don't look terrible like FOC Bruticus was. I am super stoked for those.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I personally loved FoC Bruticus as the first transformer I got in years, even though it obviously has a bunch of issues.

Superion and Menasor blow him out of the water though. These guys look absolutely awesome. I hope this means that we get the Constructicons at some point.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
So, is anyone interested in buying my FP Intimidator? :(

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

There is just no way they won't release a boxed set of the full combiners, so worrying about buying them individually seems kinda pointless.

I'm pretty confident that they're hastily mistransformed and honestly even then they don't look terrible like FOC Bruticus was. I am super stoked for those.

The official photos of Menasor make it clear that the one on display was subject to some "creative" transformation decisions.

Ka0 posted:

So, is anyone interested in buying my FP Intimidator? :(

I'm sure there will still be a market for the vastly superior version of Menasor even after the Hasbro ones hit shelves, yes.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 24, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

The official photos of Menasor make it clear that the one on display was subject to some "creative" transformation decisions.

Yeah the official pictures make him look a ton better. He's got proportions of the two Stunticon Powercore Combiner sets, but he looks impressive.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah we got Platinum/SDCC Bruticus and his G2 version both released in a box set.

*edit*
OH MY GOD, THEY ACCIDENTLY SHOWED A GENERATIONS HUFFER! We have a Huffer, the Original 13 transformers can be complete now, we have a version of Huffer in generations. Also Menasor's chest bot is supposedly named Blackjack.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The Taint Reaper posted:

OH MY GOD, THEY ACCIDENTLY SHOWED A GENERATIONS HUFFER! We have a Huffer, the Original 13 transformers can be complete now, we have a version of Huffer in generations. Also Menasor's chest bot is supposedly named Blackjack.

They had a decent Huffer in the Prime Cyberverse line.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

They're still doing those one step changers, huh?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That Prime mold is a dogshit Optimus, but drat does it make a good Motormaster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if Motormaster came first and then they made an OP out of it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They said they aren't doing Devastator with this new system.

Wow the new pictures are much, MUCH better. On-display Menasor looked like he was melting.

Captain Invictus posted:

I agree, but I think it was a picture angle thing too. Motormaster looks properly great, and I just noticed they got the name back, too!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackheart posted:

Well, this mold looks much better as the true king of the road:

I retouched it a bit to make the photo clearer.

Holy FUCKBALLS.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

From what I've seen the way they combine also suggests the combined mode arms have full shoulder movement -kinda like most 3p combiners, by having the robot waists rotate and move their legs as shoulders- and also wrist movement since the hands seem to attach on round pegs! (so no gorilla arms, doctorwhat!)

Oh my, these should be very fun to play with.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ForeverSmug posted:

They're still doing those one step changers, huh?

They're trying, they really are. I mean Construct-bots, one-step, Kre-o, and those Titan scale things are all shelf warming like mad, but they keep pushing. Part of it is if they didn't look like monumental rear end, they could be fun.

Construct-bot just have some weird design choices, like those super hosed up arms. But because they need to swap parts with each other, they can't help it and they fall all over themselves.

One-step would be awesome if they were put next to the Rescue bots as movie toys for little kids. Then instead of the weird switch blade transformations, just make them do the old mono-leg pull down, but add some simplified joints, like just back and forward leg motion instead of ball joints.

Kre-o's AoE stuff is just awful, no robot modes, barely any bricks, and still no transformations that don't require taking the thing apart. I love Kre-o, but holy crap, the first two lines were fun, the Optimus from the Beast Hunters line was good, but this line was garbage. If they'd go and engineer some sets based off of the G1 stuff, but made it transform, people would buy the poo poo out of it.

The Titan scale stuff is a nice idea, but they need to shrink them, give them more paint and articulation, and then re-release them. Also, probably just don't do Transformers in that line.

Saw three of those Big-rear end grimlocks at TRU today, 3 for 3 on missing tails.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

and also wrist movement since the hands seem to attach on round pegs! (so no gorilla arms, doctorwhat!)

And I say to myself, what a wonderful world~~~

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
He's a way better Motormaster. I think on the whole I prefer the Aerialbots, though Superion's undercarriage junk is nearing ROTF Jetfire levels, and an F-16 with two V-stabs is mildly appalling.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What is a v-slab precious? And are these those like way out hand-painted prototypes that they've shown before? I remember Prime Soundwave looked really freakish and melty in a good way, these resemble him but in a bad way.

Also I want to go through this thread and correct everyone's posts to Motorbreath. Motorbreath. The future is Motorbreath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nope, they secured Motormaster!