Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Cataphract posted:

from the looks of those photos the tiles might not be sweet and embossed like they were before. Still, seems odd... a release of any other standalone boxed game; blood bowl, necromunda, inquisitor, mordheim would have my cash instantly... but I already have this.

I really hope you're wrong. The tiles are what I'm most interested in. If they're still at least sturdy I'll probably still get it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Why are missiles so popular with the devastators? Is it the versatility? I would have thought plasma could do everything a missile launcher would do except with ap2. Thats assuming you dont take flakk missiles, which seem thoroughly overpriced to me. No ones that afraid of blowing themselves up are they?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Speckled Jim posted:

Why are missiles so popular with the devastators? Is it the versatility? I would have thought plasma could do everything a missile launcher would do except with ap2. Thats assuming you dont take flakk missiles, which seem thoroughly overpriced to me. No ones that afraid of blowing themselves up are they?

Missiles aren't great, but they can't scatter off armor and they're S8 against targets where that's relevant. And ya, blowing yourself up sucks when you're paying that much for the model. Plasma Cannons are usually better still, but I think that's the argument for missiles.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speckled Jim posted:

My devastators aren't afraid of it at all, they love to blow themselves up actually :v: Missiles can do a stronger small blast (though with worse AP) or direct fire at vehicles and be able to at least glance AV14. They're more versatile for the same cost, and without the risk of your marines deciding they're done with this world and blowing themselves up.

e: :argh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Missiles can do a stronger small blast (though with worse AP)

Frag missiles were s4 ap6 I thought?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

For $136 Americabucks you can get a 2x2 mousemat game surface, a battlezone of 3D plastic terrain, rules, cards, tokens, and ~46 minis from 4 starter teams, or just $70 without the two extra teams. Or for $99 you get a 2x2 mousemat, 3D scenery, rules, tokens, and 14 quite frankly higher quality metal minis. Pricies from Miniature Market

I look at the Space Hulk photo and see about $80 or so worth of game if the card really is premium, not $125

The Space Hulk models are easily some of the best models on the market. There was a reason individual ones would go for £20 each. Having a look at those Infinity ones and they don't stand a candle.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Icon Of Sin posted:

My devastators aren't afraid of it at all, they love to blow themselves up actually :v: Missiles can do a stronger small blast (though with worse AP) or direct fire at vehicles and be able to at least glance AV14. They're more versatile for the same cost, and without the risk of your marines deciding they're done with this world and blowing themselves up.

e: :argh:

Missiles used to be a decent cheap option when you didn't need AP 2 to destroy a vehicle. They are not so good nowadays, the change on the vehicle chart would probably move me to purely anti tank Devastators if I still ran them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Frag missiles were s4 ap6 I thought?

You're right. It's been too long since I played them. I sold all of my rocket launchers last edition and went all-in with plasma cannons :v:

e: Let's have a kitbash. I wanted to build a land raider crusader but didn't have any twin-linked assault cannons, so I took 2 from the ravenwing upgrade sprue (that nobody ever uses), hacked the barrels off of those, took the little stubby barrels off of the heavy bolters that come with the land raider, and got this for a result:

It's a little longer than what the assault cannons look like, but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with it.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 9, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Direwolf posted:

Missiles used to be a decent cheap option when you didn't need AP 2 to destroy a vehicle. They are not so good nowadays, the change on the vehicle chart would probably move me to purely anti tank Devastators if I still ran them.
Yeah, the vehicle damage chart changes really hit AP3 weapons hard, Missile Launchers in particular. They used to be able to do everything, albeit not as well as the other weapons, so you got versatility in exchange for raw killing power one way or another. Now, there's really no point to them. It doesn't help that the one thing that would make the unique and useful - Flakk - is a stupidly expensive upgrade that is never taken because of the cost.

If Flakk was far cheaper, or was even just auto-included with a tweaked profile, then you'd have a use for Missile Launchers. Why bother now, though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

serious gaylord posted:

The Space Hulk models are easily some of the best models on the market. There was a reason individual ones would go for £20 each. Having a look at those Infinity ones and they don't stand a candle.

I wouldn't go that far, those infinity models are fantastic, but the Space Hulk models are easily worth the price of the box if you're interested in actually using/painting them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Von Humboldt posted:

Yeah, the vehicle damage chart changes really hit AP3 weapons hard, Missile Launchers in particular. They used to be able to do everything, albeit not as well as the other weapons, so you got versatility in exchange for raw killing power one way or another. Now, there's really no point to them. It doesn't help that the one thing that would make the unique and useful - Flakk - is a stupidly expensive upgrade that is never taken because of the cost.

If Flakk was far cheaper, or was even just auto-included with a tweaked profile, then you'd have a use for Missile Launchers. Why bother now, though.

I wouldn't say they're worthless, but they're definitely not automatically the best anymore. Lascannons are finally worthwhile choices.

Flakk definitely needs to be included in the price, or moved to Heavy 2, though. No way they're worth the 5 point premium.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I wouldn't say they're worthless, but they're definitely not automatically the best anymore. Lascannons are finally worthwhile choices.

Flakk definitely needs to be included in the price, or moved to Heavy 2, though. No way they're worth the 5 point premium.
10 point premium, because just when you think they're awful they get worse.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Imperial Guard missile launchers cost 15 points, and 10 points for Flakk. Completely not worth it. A missile squad with Flakk is 120 points, while 140 gets you two Hydras.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Any advice for converting an ork warboss in mega-armor? Preferably without using the Ghazghkull kit

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

not lame! posted:

Any advice for converting an ork warboss in mega-armor? Preferably without using the Ghazghkull kit
Are you willing to get a kit, or just looking for a way to fully bash a Warboss out? Kromlech has amazing models, and one of their Mega Nobz is like $20 before shipping. It's not a conversion, mind, but it's well worth it.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Ideally just using the mega-armor kit and some other ork kits.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

not lame! posted:

Ideally just using the mega-armor kit and some other ork kits.

Well start with the meganobz kit, mount it on a big pile of cork so that it stands taller maybe space out the waist and shoulder connections to give it a bit more presence. give it multiple bosspoles, extra shoulder pads, combine a power claw with one of the buzzsaws to give him a super claw and maybe go for a headswap from an AOBR warboss or something.

I used the ghazz kit for mine with a headswap though... that worked out well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I've got to say, while I am not really into Fantasy(mainly due to lack of money/time), they are really getting some awesome models with this "the end times" story arc. I am kind of hoping that GW does something big and plotwise again with the 40K line. (but they probably won't)

That being said, these things would make some awesome Chaos Raptors or Warp Talons with a bit of conversion work.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Morghast-Harbingers

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

I've got to say, while I am not really into Fantasy(mainly due to lack of money/time), they are really getting some awesome models with this "the end times" story arc. I am kind of hoping that GW does something big and plotwise again with the 40K line. (but they probably won't)

That being said, these things would make some awesome Chaos Raptors or Warp Talons with a bit of conversion work.
They're huge, I don't think they'd work. They're more Daemon Prince sized. That being said, I think they're pretty dang cool and look like Castlevania minibosses.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

I think you're grossly underestimating how big those things are. They're huge.

Welp, beaten to it. They'd probably work great as demon princes though.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 9, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
You can't use those models man, they're too big and over the top for 40k
:goonsay:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
drat, I was thinking the same thing about the wings and heads :(

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Channeling my inner moolah here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cataphract posted:

Well start with the meganobz kit, mount it on a big pile of cork so that it stands taller maybe space out the waist and shoulder connections to give it a bit more presence. give it multiple bosspoles, extra shoulder pads, combine a power claw with one of the buzzsaws to give him a super claw and maybe go for a headswap from an AOBR warboss or something.

I used the ghazz kit for mine with a headswap though... that worked out well.

Mount the boss on a board lifted by a horde of grots. Or simply a pile of grots. Rock outcropping are over done.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LingcodKilla posted:

Mount the boss on a board lifted by a horde of grots. Or simply a pile of grots. Rock outcropping are over done.

Nah man, unicycle warboss.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Found via GIS:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cream_Filling posted:

Found via GIS:

I was trying to find the one warboss unicycle model that used to be on a GW poster, circa 4th edition (I think). Might have been part of a world-wide event?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Local guy did about the same thing, he has an entire grot converted ork army.

His meganobs are grots in metal boxes on single wheels.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Someone the design team has been playing a gently caress load of dar souls IMO (in my opinion)

they look like the bell gargoyles and that's cool!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moola posted:

Someone the design team has been playing a gently caress load of dar souls IMO (in my opinion)

they look like the bell gargoyles and that's cool!

Dark Souls monsters would fit great with warhammer, especially chaos.

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.
I'm rapidly putting together an IG army and was wondering what some people thought about Bullgryns. I bought a couple of boxes because I think they look amazing. The one thing that kills me about them is that they're "very bulky". I'd like to drop them out of a valkyrie but with only 3 models in there, i'm not sure how big of an impact they'd make.

I'd like to run them as an assault unit rather than mobile cover.

I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on them, which variant is the best bang for the points, or even if i'd be better off running them as counts-as Ogryn.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What do people usually run in an all-Knights detachment? Are the Lancers worth the points, or should I wait to see the rules for the new variants coming out?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The lancer is a pretty good knight hunter, since it has more attacks, an invuln in melee, and has higher initiative. No news on the other variants, but you can bet the flamer and mega bolter variants will probably be hot garbage.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I agree the flamer will probably suck poo poo (unless it's melee weapon is really good) but what are the stats on mega bolters? Can it ping aircraft?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
15 shots at strength 6 and ap 3, so it will kill 8 marines or 1.5 terminators. Its not terrible in itself, but when you are rocking a knight with a D sword you wanna throw that guy into melee. I'd rather have a high strength shooting attack instead of additional crowd clearing guns.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Killgore Trout posted:

I'm rapidly putting together an IG army and was wondering what some people thought about Bullgryns. I bought a couple of boxes because I think they look amazing. The one thing that kills me about them is that they're "very bulky". I'd like to drop them out of a valkyrie but with only 3 models in there, i'm not sure how big of an impact they'd make.

I'd like to run them as an assault unit rather than mobile cover.

I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on them, which variant is the best bang for the points, or even if i'd be better off running them as counts-as Ogryn.

The problem with Ogryn is that even though their statline looks fearsome, their leadership is awful and their lack of armor and low initiative means that they're never going to accomplish nearly as much in close combat as they'd have to in order to justify their ludicrous points cost. Bullgryns have a cute gimmick and better armor, but they still suffer from many of the same problems and are waaaaaaay overcosted for what they do. Personally, I wouldn't take them, but I'm also terrible at this game so take my word with a grain of salt.

With that being said, if you have your heart set on taking Elysian Drop Ogryns, you are in luck-the transport capacity of a Valkyrie is actually 12, so you can take four Ogryn in a single Valk as opposed to 3. Valkyries aren't the greatest choice-you're gonna have to use Grav-Chute insertion if you want to deploy the Ogryns and keep the Valkyrie alive, which can lead to hilarious/disastrous consequences, but if you want to get them into combat without getting shot up first it's not a terrible option.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You can mitigate lovely Ogryn leadership with Commissars or Priests, fortunately. Even if challenges are an issue, a Bone 'Ead can take that challenge on. Ogryns have never been great as long as I've been playing the game, but they're better than they ever really have been right now.

SRM fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 10, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I agree the flamer will probably suck poo poo (unless it's melee weapon is really good) but what are the stats on mega bolters? Can it ping aircraft?

Megabolters are S6 AP3 with a 36" range(?) so they're actually pretty good. It's just not AP1 large blast melta :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

15 shots at strength 6 and ap 3, so it will kill 8 marines or 1.5 terminators. Its not terrible in itself, but when you are rocking a knight with a D sword you wanna throw that guy into melee. I'd rather have a high strength shooting attack instead of additional crowd clearing guns.

Megabolters look way better than there rules are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think Megabolters sound cool on paper, but if you're gonna take a superheavy, I feel like you should take something to deal with other superheavies.

• Locked thread