Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah that'd be cool to see, but I am sticking to the western end of Japan this time around, and I think thats eastern? I'm sure the same still hold true though, that they are likely on the outskirts and would need a car to see.

I mean there’s even love hotels not far from Namba Station. But yeah my experience in Kyushu was much the same, they’re on main roads on the outskirts of town. Maybe going to smaller towns would help capture the ones still remaining from the bubble era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Wow, Google Map instructions for Tokyo transit got a lot more detailed since last year. The exit info is a super nice addition.

edit: Though not really needed for Nakano station.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 27, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But super welcome when trying to exit Shinjuku or Tokyo :suicide:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Got a couple of nights to spare after Takayama en-route to Tokyo. Anywhere especially interesting/under the radar I should consider? At the moment I'm thinking Matsumoto. Preferably somewhere covered by the JR Pass, which I'm squeezing for every yen while it's active. If time of year is a factor, it's early September.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Jeza posted:

Got a couple of nights to spare after Takayama en-route to Tokyo. Anywhere especially interesting/under the radar I should consider? At the moment I'm thinking Matsumoto. Preferably somewhere covered by the JR Pass, which I'm squeezing for every yen while it's active. If time of year is a factor, it's early September.

I'm doing that route in reverse. You could try the Kiso Valley villages — though it's a pretty long ride from Takayama to Tsumago/Magome. They look like a nice place to relax for a couple days between bustling cities if you felt so inclined, and then you could train to Tokyo via Nagoya or Matsumoto.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jeza posted:

Do you like green stuff (too early for autumn leaves)? Mountain stuff? You could do the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (via Toyama) and then onward to Matsumoto or Nagano.

Though the route itself is not covered by JR pass.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what if anything you nerds know about camping here. We went for a couple days back in the US now everyone's got the bug.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I went camping once in a place called Shirokane onsen in Daisetzusan, http://town.biei.hokkaido.jp/facility/camp.html the top one on this page, 400 yen per adult per day or 3500 per day if you want to rent a cabin, that's the only time I've done it though so I don't know if prices are the same everywhere else.

It was really cool but knowing that there's bears around makes hiking a bit scary, although the place is really beautiful. We used a standard issue mont bell tent and didn't have any experience but it was easy and everything went well, it's probably a good idea to stay somewhere that has an onsen nearby since it's way better than taking camp showers. Also don't drink from wild streams in Hokkaido because the water might contain a parasite.

Also bring food or some way to cook because tiny villages don't always have good restaurants, but I guess that's true for camping anywhere. We mostly ate instant noodles and fruit and stuff from tins for a few days.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 28, 2019

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

totalnewbie posted:

Do you like green stuff (too early for autumn leaves)? Mountain stuff? You could do the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route (via Toyama) and then onward to Matsumoto or Nagano.

Though the route itself is not covered by JR pass.

Would totally do the alpine route if I was backpacking solo, but I have too much stuff and my travelling companion is super broke. But yeah, we'll be doing general hiking.

Keret posted:

I'm doing that route in reverse. You could try the Kiso Valley villages — though it's a pretty long ride from Takayama to Tsumago/Magome. They look like a nice place to relax for a couple days between bustling cities if you felt so inclined, and then you could train to Tokyo via Nagoya or Matsumoto.

This looks like a good shout, doing some research on it now. Either way I have take the Shinkansen from Takayama to Nagoya then bounce back up, so it's no big deal. Thanks.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Stringent posted:

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what if anything you nerds know about camping here. We went for a couple days back in the US now everyone's got the bug.

I’ve been told that Japanese car camping sites can be densely packed and on the expensive side. If you know anyone with U.S. base privileges, Tama Hills has super-affordable American-style car camping sites.

For backpacking, Japan has an awesome system of manned huts that are pricy but provide a futon and warm meals, allowing for very lightweight travel. Most huts also have spaces for tent camping that are very affordable. In shoulder season crowds are not a problem, but always check to see what dates the huts open after winter and try to avoid super-popular times.

(Edited to correct Camp Zamia to Tama Hills, in case it matters to anyone.)

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 29, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Some of my friends are trying to convince me to fly out to Tokyo again for TGS and halloween at Shibuya. But I can only go to one of those due to work, since I still haven't a job over there.. Which would make for a better experience in you guys' opinion?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Archer666 posted:

Some of my friends are trying to convince me to fly out to Tokyo again for TGS and halloween at Shibuya. But I can only go to one of those due to work, since I still haven't a job over there.. Which would make for a better experience in you guys' opinion?

Shibuya Halloween is cancelled, so probably TGS

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

Shibuya Halloween is cancelled, so probably TGS

Lol there’s gonna be so much ducking drinking there. *at worst* people will just spread out more and drink nearby elsewhere

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
also tgs is in 10 days or something

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Only go to TGS if you can get a Business Day pass. The public days will have you in mile-long lines.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dotonbori (Osaka) has gaudy hotels.

Shikoku has camping :3

We've only ever stayed in forest cabins so far, which was perfect, because the weekend we reserved was a week of heavy rain. If you insist on a tent, it makes sense for city people to find somewhere that offers rentals for everything. This looks ordinary and affordable, while still being accessible by train and a short taxi ride: https://yc.tsukahara-li.co.jp/

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Phone posted:

also tgs is in 10 days or something

Well gently caress, you're right. For some reason I thought it was in October for some reason. Guess I'm going to Shibuya Halloween.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol there’s gonna be so much ducking drinking there. *at worst* people will just spread out more and drink nearby elsewhere

Yeah, that's what my friends were planning on doing. Or just getting buzzed at home first and then hit the streets with mixed vodka-cokes in smaller coke bottles.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
:( I'm only going to Japan once this year due to buying a house and I already really want to go back to Kyushu again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For me it’s time. Work has this crazy “you have to be at work” policy, and I don’t see any reason to go to Japan for anything less than two weeks. I can never swing multiple trips a year, but I do end up doing one big trip.

All in all, I’d rather do one big four week bender than two two week trips but maybe that’s just me. I should try that one year though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nah going for a month is good. Short trips suck.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i might try to go the last week of november into december, but work's been busy af this year and time just seems to have disappeared

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I live in Japan and I can't afford to visit home, lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

peanut posted:

I live in Japan and I can't afford to visit home, lol

but do you want to visit home

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

The US is way more fun to visit than Japan.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Stringent posted:

The US is way more fun to visit than Japan.*

*If you're not brown

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Phone posted:

Yeah, sometimes

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm going to purchase the JR regional rail-pass, not all the trains I will be using are JR but enough of them are that after the first day the pass pays for itself. The passes are good for 1-4 days. Is there any problem with one person using multiple passes consecutively?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not sure what you mean by multiple passes consecutively. Do you mean using the pass in rapid succession at multiple fare gates? No. Unless the regional passes work differently, the jr pass is just a small booklet with a laminated page that you show the gate attendant and are ushered through. There is literally no record of you using it so no one should care when you used it last.

When I was in Kyoto I stayed right by Inari station and used that to go everywhere. One day I kept forgetting things in my Airbnb and made like four consecutive entrances and exits in like a twenty minute window. The last time I went in I got a joking “hisashiburi” from the attendant lady but that was it :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 1, 2019

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I meant use a 4 day pass to get around and when it expires show up the next day with a new 4 day pass. I just wasn't sure if they kept record/database, but as you say they don't. By buying two 4 day passes I'll be saving a grip of money.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I see! I guess at that point it’s less about use and more about purchasing. I’m don’t know why they wouldn’t let you purchase consecutive passes unless there was a more expensive pass they’d want you to buy. Since you have to buy out of country anyway, try asking one of the jr pass brokers. I’m sure they’d be able to tell you one way or another definitively.

The only downside to using the jr pass is that you can only exit through the gate with an attendant. I got drunk one night and got kind of.. dunk-confused and just walked through a regular exit gate when the paddles slammed shut on me and I was like.. welp I guess I just have to walk HARDER

thanks for listening to my ted talk about my crimes in japan

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

They will allow you to buy as many passes as you want, I was just figuring that while not specifically specified, they were figuring the reason you were buying multiple passes was for multiple people (like a family). The reason I would guess that they would limit the number of days a pass can be used to a max of 4 and then keeping a database of users is so that buying and using a JR pass would be a one time offer and that they would recoup the 'loss' by having you then pay your way the rest of the time.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
My sister and I are planning to live (read: extended vacation) in Japan for 90 days starting sometime in February of 2020. Do any of you have any resources offhand for short term, furnished apartments for rent in the greater Tokyo area? We aren't picky about the ward/neighborhood/municipality, but we would prefer to have a 2BR/1BA (her husband will be visiting for one of those months).

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 2, 2019

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What's your budget?
https://www.oakwoodasia.com/serviced-apartments/japan

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Martytoof posted:

For me it’s time. Work has this crazy “you have to be at work” policy, and I don’t see any reason to go to Japan for anything less than two weeks. I can never swing multiple trips a year, but I do end up doing one big trip.

All in all, I’d rather do one big four week bender than two two week trips but maybe that’s just me. I should try that one year though.

Some people have pets. Leaving them for a month can be really expensive/anxiety inducing.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

Thanks for the link, though I think that's a bit outside our needs/budget. I'd prefer <$2K/mo, and there seems to be plenty of options according to the little research I've done already. Gaijinpot seems to be a decent resource here, unless I'm missing something. https://apartments.gaijinpot.com/en/rent/listing

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 2, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dad and I are seriously considering another trip for late next year, possibly centered around Shikoku and including biking Shimanami. What's there to do in western Japan (southern tip of Honshu/Shikoku/Kyushu)? Places I know of are Hiroshima, Onomichi, Ehime, and Fukuoka, but I'm not sure exactly what the itinerary would look like. Any suggestions?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 3, 2019

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Dad and I are seriously considering another trip for late next year, possibly centered around Shikoku and including biking Shimanami. What's there to do in western Japan (southern tip of Honshu/Shikoku/Kyushu)? Places I know of are Hiroshima, Onomichi, Ehime, and Fukuoka, but I'm not sure exactly what the itinerary would look like. Any suggestions?

If you're doing the Shimanami Kaido and like bikes, make sure to check out the bicycle/ears shrine on Innoshima. It's a little bit off the main route so it's easy to miss if you don't know about it, but it's definitely worth checking out. The priest and shrine maidens were very friendly and hearing about the history of the place was fascinating. The head priest even showed us some of their relics while we chatted about bicycles.

http://ooyama.sun.bindcloud.jp/

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

shimonoseki is cool and good if you're at the tip of honshu/kyushu, it's well known for blowfish. like if you've ever wanted to go to a city were there are cartoon blowfish and blowfish stuffed animals everywhere, shimonoseki is your place. it's referred to as "fugu capital" lol, I've been a few times with me missus, have a ton of great photos but they are on my external that I don't have access to now.

fugu manhole covers
cnn article
more pictures

my father-in-law loves the fugu-fin sake, I always pick up a few of those for gifts when I'm there, one or two for him and would always bring them back to usa/china when I left. "this is blowfish-fin sake" with a really cute blowfish for its logo, ya friends are always like "yo wtf lol". have a few of the cups laying around, don't know what I did with them

I am gonna go out on a limb and bet that peanut has some decent recs for what to do on Shikoku

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone vouch for how busy the VR Zone in Osaka is on a Wednesday afternoon? The ticketing site is all in Japanese and we don't wanna risk goofing and doing anything wrong, so if we could waltz up on the day to buy a ticket that would be ideal.

Also, probably more importantly, are any of the games absolute no-gos if you don't have a strong (or any, for some of the group) grasp of Japanese? The site is fully in English except for buying tickets we we're assuming it's English-friendly but just thought I'd check in case anywhere here has been to it.