Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
In Australia you certainly can get lines. I've never had to wait more than 20mins though.

All our voting happens on Saturdays, so if you go in early usually you are fine. Early afternoon can have lines. Also depends which voting booth you go to. Australia also has compulsory voting. Our last federal election we got a 91.89% voter turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

I don't think I've ever had to stand in a line to vote. I was done in five minutes today. Serious question: has anyone ever gotten in a queue for the voting booth outside of America?

Depends on your voting precinct. If you're white and live in an affluent neighborhood you will have no wait in line and effortless experience. If you're anything other than white Christian heterosexual male you will stand in a long line and there will be so few voting booths even once you get your ballot you will still stand in line. The point is to discourage you to get out of line and not vote.

Unless you live in Oregon or one of the other states that adopted vote by mail. You get your ballot three weeks before the election and have until election day to mail it in.

e: Oh yes, and our election day is on a Tuesday in November which is a regular workday so you have to either vote when the polls open at 7:00 before work or wait until after work to vote before the polls close at 20:00

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 29, 2020

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Depends on your voting precinct. If you're white and live in an affluent neighborhood you will have no wait in line and effortless experience. If you're anything but non-white Christian heterosexual male you will stand in a long line and there will so few voting booths even once you get your ballot you will still stand in line. The point is to discourage you to get out of line and not vote.

Unless you live in Oregon or one of the other states that adopted vote by mail. You get your ballot three weeks before the election and have until election day to mail it in.

e: Oh yes, and our election day is on a Tuesday in November which is a regular workday so you have to either vote when the polls open at 7:00 before work or wait until after work to vote before the polls close at 20:00

That's why I said "outside of America." Seriously, guys. It's weird.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I had to stand in a 15 minute line yesterday, first time it happened though.

ps. hellworld continues, duda will win this election

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

And I mentioned standing in line because in Poland if there's a line and you stand in it a second before voting stations were scheduled to close you are allowed to vote. Voting commision member will stand at the end of line on that time and turn down anyone that comes after that.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Here in Finland for parlamentary and I think presidental elections you have a weeks period two weeks before the election day, during which you can go to any polling place Finland and vote there. Your vote is then sealed in an envelope and that envelope is placed into an another envelope which is mailed to your home place where the vote is then counted. Also, you can vote in the actual voting day too. In the actual voting day you must vote in the specific place mentioned in an election information packet sent to you in advance, but the pre-vote can be done anywhere, even in embassies abroad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Depends on your voting precinct. If you're white and live in an affluent neighborhood you will have no wait in line and effortless experience. If you're anything but non-white Christian heterosexual male you will stand in a long line and there will so few voting booths even once you get your ballot you will still stand in line. The point is to discourage you to get out of line and not vote.

God, 8pm seems really early closing time. In the UK it's 10pm. And yes, never waited more than 5 minutes to vote, both in rural areas & in Glasgow. For that matter never had to walk more than 15 minutes to get to my nearest polling station either.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Anne Frank Funk posted:

ps. hellworld continues, duda will win this election

actually polls show that the runoff will be super close and it could go either way

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

nurmie posted:

Regardless of CGI quality, the idea of this choice of direction being somehow appropriate or even cool is what makes me go :stare:

Unless this is some kind of a shitpost

Should have got the folks who made T34 movie to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluUuDxauMM

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Duda is in a runoff? Is there a chance his opponent will win or Duda be the lesser of two evils in that situation?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Duda is in a runoff? Is there a chance his opponent will win or Duda be the lesser of two evils in that situation?

There's a surprisingly decent chance of Duda getting kicked out, considering Trzaskowski was subbed in less than a month ago to replace a candidate who, in spite of having support of the largest opposition party and the liberal side of the establishment, could not stop polling in single digits.

Trzaskowski is a shitlib, but at the very least he's not a PiS lackey, so Duda is one hundred percent the greater of the two evils.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

My less than scientific analysis, but lol at election polls in Poland, they are laughably unreliable.

• Duda, populist-social conservative won 1st round with just about 43%
  • Trzaskowski, succlib is 2nd with 30%
  • Hołownia, the non-politician protest candidate is 3rd with 14% - a substantial amount of his voters will go to Trzaskowski, but I'd wager about 25% will go to Duda
  • Bosak, nazi is 4th with 7% - his libertarian voters might vote for Trzaskowski in small numbers, most of them will not vote. nazis will vote for Duda
  • Kamysz, agrarian social conservative, next with 2% - majority will vote for Duda
  • Biedroń, mild socialdemocrat, next next with 2% - all of his supporters will vote for Trzaskowski

the detritus that's left amounts to~1% in total

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Trzaskowski is quite close to Duda in polls

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Time and time again polls prove to be unreliable in Poland. Stop looking at them. The basic truth is that just like in any situation where one party is anti establishment, its voters don't trust pollsters, lie to them, are ashamed of telling who they really vote for. See Trump vs Clinton, Brexit

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Joffrey is now apparently "the crush of all the russias"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Time and time again polls prove to be unreliable in Poland. Stop looking at them. The basic truth is that just like in any situation where one party is anti establishment, its voters don't trust pollsters, lie to them, are ashamed of telling who they really vote for. See Trump vs Clinton, Brexit
Well, in this case polls were quite close to actual results.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
How are polls laughably unreliable? I checked a poll from 25 June, results: Duda 41,2%, Trzaskowski 30,7%, Hołownia 12%, Bosak 7,2%, pretty much within the margin of error.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

yeah, my bad I blocked out the actually quite accurate polls of the last few days, which were only under reporting Duda (surprise, surprise)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

There is also an ongoing constitutional referendum in Russia and I saw this picture of ballot box from Saratov... ballots defy entropy in Russia
https://twitter.com/teamnavalnysrtv/status/1277494904671920130

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dwesa posted:

There is also an ongoing constitutional referendum in Russia and I saw this picture of ballot box from Saratov... ballots defy entropy in Russia
https://twitter.com/teamnavalnysrtv/status/1277494904671920130

It's technically not even a referendum. Which is important because it follows bespoke laws passed for this specific voting, so it's even harder for independent observers to monitor the process.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

PiS has invented a new form of election tampering. A competition has been announced by Ministry of Interior - out of each region, one county with population smaller than 20 000, reporting the highest turnout, will get a brand new fire engine.

Which basically means competing for higher turnouts in rural counties, traditionally supporting pis candidates.

2 updates on the above:

1. In the first round of elections of the 16 counties with highest turnout, 10 voted for Trzaskowski, so not exactly what I (or pis) predicted would've happened.
2. Undeterred, the Ministry of Interior announced a second competition for the second round of elections. In a blast from the past pis has brought back fond memories of back when Poland was divided into 49 regions, and this old split will serve as the basis of the new turnout high stakes. 49 low pop counties with highest turnout across the country will get the coveted fire engine!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Uh, what.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

This but now based on the old administrative division of Poland, so that more counties/districts/whatever can hope to win. More rural votes = more duda votes

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

here, have their amazing photoshop of that (this is the polish Internal Affairs Ministry twitter)

https://twitter.com/MSWiA_GOV_PL/status/1278997437915561984

text says 'Turnout BATTLE FOR TRUCKS 2020 - Second Round'

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Paladinus posted:

It's technically not even a referendum. Which is important because it follows bespoke laws passed for this specific voting, so it's even harder for independent observers to monitor the process.

Technically it was not even needed, the changes to the 'constitution' have been approved by parliament on 14th of march and this whole farce was just for the sake of showing that 'people can vote', 'russia has democracy' and 'people support putin' while putin's approval rating is like 50% from 80+ it was some time ago

lmbo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1279695949082869761

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Poland has two presidential debates at the same time - one for each candidate. Nice country, good job etc.,

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Poland has two presidential debates at the same time - one for each candidate. Nice country, good job etc.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Phc2Gd4JU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I figured it out. Poland is a long-form content made by The Onion. It is the only possibility that makes sense :v:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Badri betrayed bereovsky to kill Scot young. Putin offered him Georgia to do so.

Russia has assassinated at least 30 people on British soil.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Looks like Russian law enforcement on all levels decided to celebrate the constitutional renewal with more absurd arrests - Ivan Safronov, communication adviser to Dmitry Rogozin (a nazi heading the Russian Space Agency) and a former reporter at Kommersant is charged with treason:

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1280453034825351169

Meduza also has a selection from his articles in English making quite clear that Safronov made a lot of enemies in Russian arms industry by shining light on shady export deals (it misses the report on fire during the Admiral Kuznetsov carrier repairs, that one must've been uncomfortable for interested people too)
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2020/07/07/ivan-safronov-s-reporting

as an aside:

quote:

Safronov’s father died in March 2007 after falling from a window at the family’s home. Before his death, he was preparing a story about Russia’s shipments of Su-30 fighter jets to Syria and S-300V anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran.

More conspiratorial look cites all that as a sign of another internal struggle, but I consider that as bullshit for anonymous telegram channels
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1280676955784908800

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
According to Czech media the country he was supposed to pass information to was the Czech Republic. Given our secret service, I find it highly unlikely.
Media speculate that that particular facet of the case is meant to be a provocation and a response for two Russian diplomats getting kicked out of the country.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 8, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Regardless of whether these claims are true or false, this seems normal and par for course

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1281120193578754048

Before becoming the governor of Khabarovsk in 2018 he served in the Duma as a Liberal-Democratic party (which notably is neither liberal nor democratic) rep. On that ground I don't find it incredible that he'd be a mafia boss, but it could also be a political set up, oh well I guess we'll never know.

L-D leader Zhirinovsky has apparently threatened that the party's 40 Duma members will walk out as a protest to the arrest.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 9, 2020

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So... anyone know what's up in Serbia?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, provincial businessmen getting into politics with LDPR party card is always a criminal.
The problem for Kremlin is that Furgal is legitimately popular since for people in Khabarovsk he is their son of a bitch. A choice between a populist-ish local kingpin and a United Russia homunculus sent from the federal center is a no-brainer for folks these days when the proper election is allowed.
Also a sign of things to come in many places if the economy kicks the bucket.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 9, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

Regardless of whether these claims are true or false, this seems normal and par for course

Before becoming the governor of Khabarovsk in 2018 he served in the Duma as a Liberal-Democratic party (which notably is neither liberal nor democratic) rep. On that ground I don't find it incredible that he'd be a mafia boss, but it could also be a political set up, oh well I guess we'll never know.

L-D leader Zhirinovsky has apparently threatened that the party's 40 Duma members will walk out as a protest to the arrest.

Russia is a mafia state which uses the tambov gang and other Russian crime affiliates to commit low level assassinations. The FSB is used for high level assassinations like litvinenko for example. Suicide out of a window is a classic assassination tactics used on Scot Young aswell as other exiles and dissidents both political and private industtialists.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

OddObserver posted:

So... anyone know what's up in Serbia?

Anti-Vučić citizens are protesting again, just like in 2017 (students) and 2019. Again, there is no leadership and no strategy. I hear demands that go from redirecting money from churches to hospitals, to Vučić's resignation. This time it's getting more violent, because what else is there to do? It's not like peaceful protests brought him down before. Nobody wants to take credit for the violence, though. Organizers claim it's either right wingers (who oppose Vučić slowly letting Kosovo go) or government provocateurs. Vučić speaks of foreign secret services.

They did achieve one thing, Vučić gave up on the strict corona curfew that was planned for Belgrade for this weekend. It was the curfew that sparked the whole thing, and how he handled it and delivered the message. He's starting to actually disgust me (not that I ever liked or supported him). I turned on the TV the other day for his press conference, and this was the question from a formally independent TV reporter.

"Mr President, how do you comment on opposition media, controlled by Đilas (opposition figure) and (another person), I don't want to name names, who are putting the blame on doctors? How do you comment on them attacking the medical profession?"

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher
Sorry for the reddit link but here is, imo, a good vid from one of the protesters https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hn5ezw/protestor_revealing_the_truth_about_the_covid19/

Heartbreakingly summarizes what's been going on recently at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Nenonen posted:

Someone said his district had one of the lowest turnouts for the vote to change the constitution, so he might been made an example to show what happens if governors dont support the government current efforts. Being a former mob boss working for the government, you better make sure to toe the line, since they probably already know where the bodies are buried.