Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In TSCC, one of the terminators got sent back to the 1920s by accident and became a real estate magnate so he could build a building to wall himself up in to wait until 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Doctor Who never did the whole thing of an immortal robot following a time traveler just by waiting until after Data did it.

It's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMeZjmQbj-0

I had it recorded of TV on VHS as a kid, but missed the first third, although it still works without the slowburn stuff with the miners. The wild and crazy aliens out in the wilderness is the best part.

The three late 90s Fox Kids shows I'll always remember are this one, Digimon and Xyber 9, starring Deep Space Nine's Rene Auberjonois as a really sassy ball on a stick.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Knight Rider was a Star Trek prequel show.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Der Kyhe posted:

Knight Rider was a Star Trek prequel show.

It's also a Battlestar Galactica spinoff.

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I watched all of Knight Rider (the original) last year and was surprised that it wasn't all that bad. It was a little held down by the trappings of its era as far as stories and how the episodes unfolded, but it wasn't ridiculous.

In retrospect, I'm shocked that Airwolf was made at all. That show spent a lot on helicopter gas.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I fondly remember Viper and MANTIS and I know they probably both suck but I have no desire to check

On the other hand, I'm considering looking for where I can watch Time Trax

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Rubber Chicken posted:

I fondly remember Viper and MANTIS and I know they probably both suck but I have no desire to check

On the other hand, I'm considering looking for where I can watch Time Trax

Which one was about the paralyzed guy in the exo suit? I remember liking that when I was a kid

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

It's also a Battlestar Galactica spinoff.

Coincidence? :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF83LhxnAPA&t=12s

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Which one was about the paralyzed guy in the exo suit? I remember liking that when I was a kid

MANTIS, and yeah I remember watching that one as kid too. I remember one group of recurring antagonists was based on the Men in Black urban legend, This was years before the movie with Will Smith.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Core memory unlocked. I remember that the car could change color, launch a drone, and shoot a laser that disabled other vehicles. None of which were options at my local Dodge dealer

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Core memory unlocked.

While we're unlocking childhood sci-fi core memories....

I know I LOVED this show but the only thing I can remember about it is what the time travel looked like (flat planes of worlds flying past)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The_Other posted:

MANTIS, and yeah I remember watching that one as kid too. I remember one group of recurring antagonists was based on the Men in Black urban legend, This was years before the movie with Will Smith.

I remember it too. It wasn't amazing but it was pretty good "Batman with a twist" TV.

One thing I remember is that he had his own satellite so he could make phone calls totally anonymously, and he kept one of his signature darts in his eyeglass case in case he needed to stop someone, which I thought was pretty smart.

It also had a half-dozen Star Trek actors, most recognizable probably being the late Vincent Schiavelli. He was the hologram in "The Arsenal of Freedom" episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I remember it too. It wasn't amazing but it was pretty good "Batman with a twist" TV.

One thing I remember is that he had his own satellite so he could make phone calls totally anonymously, and he kept one of his signature darts in his eyeglass case in case he needed to stop someone, which I thought was pretty smart.

It also had a half-dozen Star Trek actors, most recognizable probably being the late Vincent Schiavelli. He was the hologram in "The Arsenal of Freedom" episode.

Man, it's kinda crazy that Carl Lumbly wasn't on Star Trek at any point. Dude would have made an awesome Klingon or rouge Starfleet captain.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, it's kinda crazy that Carl Lumbly wasn't on Star Trek at any point. Dude would have made an awesome Klingon or rouge Starfleet captain.

Seems like it would have been a perfect fit. It was probably just the stars not aligning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.N.T.I.S. posted:

In the series' finale, a trapped Miles and Leora are tragically killed battling an invisible dinosaur.

Still better than "These are the Voyages"

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

nine-gear crow posted:

He was on BSG though!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Had a weird Trek-related moment in the car the other day

So the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is a forgettable CUV that borrows the name of some fun FWD coupes Mitsu used to make in the 90s and 2000s. To demonstrate how often I think about the new car, it's been on sale since 2017 and it was only a few days ago when I was in traffic behind one that I noticed something funny about the logo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got to The Icarus Factor is my rewatch of TNG, and loving lol. That sport Riker and his dad engage in at the end. Just the dumbest American Gladiators setup fused with the worst Japanese appropriation. It took me two listens to realize they were saying よろしくお願いします to each other at the start of each bout. Just random kana and kanji all over the ring and their suits. :psyduck:

But the icing on the cake was the previous scene with Troi and Polaski discussing how barbaric the sport is when they're fully armored up fighting with padded jousting sticks. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AlternateNu posted:

I just got to The Icarus Factor is my rewatch of TNG, and loving lol. That sport Riker and his dad engage in at the end. Just the dumbest American Gladiators setup fused with the worst Japanese appropriation. It took me two listens to realize they were saying よろしくお願いします to each other at the start of each bout. Just random kana and kanji all over the ring and their suits. :psyduck:

But the icing on the cake was the previous scene with Troi and Polaski discussing how barbaric the sport is when they're fully armored up fighting with padded jousting sticks. :v:
Uh excuse me, but the correct name is anbo-jyutsu, the ULTIMATE in martial arts

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Phy posted:

So the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross is a forgettable CUV that borrows the name of some fun FWD coupes Mitsu used to make in the 90s and 2000s. To demonstrate how often I think about the new car, it's been on sale since 2017 and it was only a few days ago when I was in traffic behind one that I noticed something funny about the logo

What is it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: actually I looked up the TNG font just now and there are some similarities but it's not as close as I thought, disregard

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 17, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ah yes, the Eclipse Cross class.

Didn't last very long. Was replaced with the Steamrunner class.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The Icarus Factor is nuts Riker's dad is like, 'I stuck around for 13 years what else you want you little poo poo?' he's a loving terrible father

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I thought Pulaski was loving the terrible father

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I think two of those random kana are the names Kei and Yuri, of Dirty Pair fame. (They also show up on a periodic table in the episode "Rascals" as the element keiyurium.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snorb posted:

I think two of those random kana are the names Kei and Yuri, of Dirty Pair fame. (They also show up on a periodic table in the episode "Rascals" as the element keiyurium.)

There's like six references across the show to it, which I think is such a strange thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's an enormous number of anime references in TNG in particular, the crew were weeeebs.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Dirty Pair is a fun show.

It even had a few Star Trek references in it. Like in one scene there's a TOS Enterprise hanging off the ceiling.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

There's an enormous number of anime references in TNG in particular, the crew were weeeebs.

Like the Nausicaans, named after that famously violent and surly princess of the valley of the wind.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm still real mad at Quark for dropping the plan to hire Nausicaans to bail out Rom. I want my crazy space biker heist, damnit. He even paid for it! :mad:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There were two sets of kana prominent on the side of the ring. One was definitely the katakana for Yuri. The other was kanji but I don’t recall it reading as Kei (though I wouldn’t be surprised). Regardless, Kei’s name is usually written in katakana too. But that poo poo would be funny if true.

Apollodorus posted:

Like the Nausicaans, named after that famously violent and surly princess of the valley of the wind.

Although this is even more lol-worthy if true. I never considered that anything more than a coincidence.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohP1XJWDXGg

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AlternateNu posted:

There were two sets of kana prominent on the side of the ring. One was definitely the katakana for Yuri. The other was kanji but I don’t recall it reading as Kei (though I wouldn’t be surprised). Regardless, Kei’s name is usually written in katakana too. But that poo poo would be funny if true.

Although this is even more lol-worthy if true. I never considered that anything more than a coincidence.

Whoa I also just assumed it was a coincidence

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

One of the ship classes (introduced in either DS9 or First Contact) is the Akira-class

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Technowolf posted:

One of the ship classes (introduced in either DS9 or First Contact) is the Akira-class
It was First Contact yes

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Phy posted:

Phy posted:

E: actually I looked up the TNG font just now and there are some similarities but it's not as close as I thought, disregard

On the other hand, when you do come across the TNG font in the wild, it isn't where you'd think it would be

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bennyfactor posted:

On the other hand, when you do come across the TNG font in the wild, it isn't where you'd think it would be

Who do you think provides for Cetacean Ops in the future?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Taear posted:

Whoa I also just assumed it was a coincidence

Oh it’s definitely not a coincidence.

Memory Alpha posted:

According to the Star Trek Encyclopedia (4th ed., vol. 2, p. 68), this species was "named for the Greek princess of the wind, as well as for the 1984 animated fantasy film Nausicaa." Coincidentally, Patrick Stewart later lent his voice talent to an English redubbing of that anime film in 2005.

I feel obligated to note that Nausicaä is actually not a “Greek princess of the wind” but in fact the princess of the Phaeacians, to whom Odysseus exposes himself on the beach when he washes ashore after Calypso finally lets him leave Ogygia.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Apollodorus posted:

Oh it’s definitely not a coincidence.

I feel obligated to note that Nausicaä is actually not a “Greek princess of the wind” but in fact the princess of the Phaeacians, to whom Odysseus exposes himself on the beach when he washes ashore after Calypso finally lets him leave Ogygia.

To be an even bigger pedant, he tries his best not expose himself, by holding a leafy branch in front of his dick. He even asks her to stand somewhere else while he gets dressed

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Eh, I always assumed that’s a later interpolation by Zenodotus or someone. Odysseus going full Neelix seems more faithful to the oral tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Eh, I always assumed that’s a later interpolation by Zenodotus or someone. Odysseus going full Neelix seems more faithful to the oral tradition.

I'm only familiar with Homer. What did the oral tradition have to say about Odysseus that portrayed him as something other than a virtuous trickster hero.