Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

repiv posted:

i wonder why reviewers didn't get access to the console versions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d5sxMyYazo

Apparently that's on an Xbox One S, so... not surprised a game in 2020 runs poorly on hardware from 2016 that was already a few years old when it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

shrike82 posted:

I'm watching live streams on high-end PCs. the DF guys couldn't even show live footage and had to roll CDPR b footage
:shrug:

Live stream compression artifacts maybe?

Watching a 4K upload of gameplay on youtube and it looks drat good

Edit: It's still a bug riddled mess and probably could've used another 3 to 4 months in the oven

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

bus hustler posted:

cant play the game on a video card though, fair enough some people already have the pc

Oh I see

Maybe the Xbox series S is good for 1080p60? Not that you can buy those either

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I’m very much looking forward to enjoying Cyberpunk 2077™ on my 5900X and RTX 3080.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Watching the initial bits of the Cohh stream was enough to make me pre-order and start the download just now. Game looked very atmospheric with all of the RTX features turned to max. Let's see how it does on the RX 5700 though.

Soon gonna be away from the PC so if they can fix some bugs and a 3080 or Ti is available by early Feb, I'll be a happy camper.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 9, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

sean10mm posted:

PC versions have a jillion graphics options that scale beyond what current hardware can even run over 1080p60, they didn't gimp poo poo for it lol

It's not about graphical options, it's about simulation stuff that's done CPU-side. It's much harder to scale that up and down, and the Jaguar cores in the PS4/Bone are very limiting.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ijyt posted:

I’m very much looking forward to enjoying Cyberpunk 2077™ on my 5900X and RTX 3080.

Same but 3700X god my life is bullshit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

i wonder why reviewers didn't get access to the console versions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d5sxMyYazo

it's me i'm the rain sprite under the car running at 2 fps

while underneath a building

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rolo posted:

Same but 3700X god my life is bullshit.

the bates 3000!? throw that poo poo in the garbage where it belongs!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

K8.0 posted:

It's not about graphical options, it's about simulation stuff that's done CPU-side. It's much harder to scale that up and down, and the Jaguar cores in the PS4/Bone are very limiting.

IIRC the problem was the other way around: they built it for next gen and PC, then they did a panic hack job on the old console versions willy nilly to keep them from melting down.

Basically a bad PC port but in reverse.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sean10mm posted:

IIRC the problem was the other way around: they built it for next gen and PC, then they did a panic hack job on the old console versions willy nilly to keep them from melting down.

Basically a bad PC port but in reverse.

This is my impression, too: they only put in PS4/XBox One support because they were effectively forced to. Otherwise it seems pretty clear that it was always designed as a high-end PC / next-gen console title, and you gotta strip down pretty far to get it running on 2013 hardware.

Does make their original launch date seem real weird in retrospect, since if they'd actually hit it then nothing out at the time or for months afterwards would be able to manage a "good" experience.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the game hasn't been updated for next gen consoles so how's that true

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it doesn't have a native nextgen version yet but nextgen backwards compatibility lets them brute force through performance issues with higher clocks and better IPC

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

You can absolutely design around target hardware and still not have it fully ready to go at launch. Or 6 months after launch.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

shrike82 posted:

They're adding RTX later for next gen in the future but their original build for oldest gen support was so bad it delayed all launches and got hacked at some more.

E: lol multi combo beaten

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

sure but that's a different argument from developing against next-gen and cutting down stuff for last gen
it seems more like PC gets additional stuff bolted on (e.g., RT)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

sure but that's a different argument from developing against next-gen and cutting down stuff for last gen
it seems more like PC gets additional stuff bolted on (e.g., RT)

So your argument is that they targeted XBox One hardware and figured that 15FPS was good enough for anyone? It seems pretty clear from what we've seen so far that they don't really intend for you to actually play on PS4/XB1. That the native PS5/XBSX version isn't quite ready yet says more about them kicking the game out the door early than anything else, honestly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sure CP2077 looks good but it doesn't really look "graphics will never get any better than this" good that I thought about Quake 3 Arena in 1999 or Lara's hair in Tomb Raider 2013.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's me i'm the rain sprite under the car running at 2 fps

while underneath a building

one of the youtube comments says that the depicted scene occurs just after you've had some brain fuckery done to you and the weird blocky reality glitches are part of that effect.

not clear whether running the entire scene at 18fps is also part of it

exquisite tea posted:

Sure CP2077 looks good but it doesn't really look "graphics will never get any better than this" good that I thought about Quake 3 Arena in 1999 or Lara's hair in Tomb Raider 2013.

when i first played jedi knight 2 and the guys had actual eyeballs that moved back and forth instead of just a face texture painted on their head, like, blew my fuckin mind man

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's weird to make an argument that you're not meant to play it on last-gen consoles - it's still going to be the largest demographic of players
if it runs like crap, ultimately it's still on them. i mean even on PC, the majority of players aren't going to have RTX cards either

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
this is exactly what happened with GTA V though in general it was a much lesser game so it nailed 30 a little bit better, but it dipped tons of times to 18-22 on the 360

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Digital-Foundry-Confirms-GTA-5-Framerate-Asset-Issues-Xbox-360-PS3-59165.html

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have to ask a really dumb question that's really more about video game industry/media than GPUs, but I'd be embarrassed to ask about it in Games: Did CDPR come out of nowhere to a lot of people, or is it just me? I had never even heard of the Witcher series before the third one, and it seemed like one of those generic fantasy RPGs that get stuffed in some corner of the Xbox E3 show in the vein of Fable.

It's probably because Giant Bomb is the only video game site I have gone to for the past decade, and Witcher II was released in 2011 when they were so hyped for Skyrim.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Got my 3060 ti in the mail, time to gently caress off forever down a Steam backlog hole

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Craptacular! posted:

I have to ask a really dumb question that's really more about video game industry/media than GPUs, but I'd be embarrassed to ask about it in Games: Did CDPR come out of nowhere to a lot of people, or is it just me? I had never even heard of the Witcher series before the third one, and it seemed like one of those generic fantasy RPGs that get stuffed in some corner of the Xbox E3 show in the vein of Fable.

It's probably because Giant Bomb is the only video game site I have gone to for the past decade, and Witcher II was released in 2011 when they were so hyped for Skyrim.

The Witcher 2 was a modest hit but TW3 was a huge breakthrough for them. It sold Skyrim levels of copies.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
when the universe conspires to get a 3080 to you much earlier than promised, to be delivered exactly one hour before CP2077 unlocks, but also conspires to remind you that you live on top of a mountain where random snow dumps happen all the time and FedEx is vastly the worst shipper at handling them

I guess I can play for a day or two on a 3070 and then write a really woke and informed performance comparison? :shrug:

I can't be mad; until yesterday I wasn't expecting to get the card until 2/2, and this whole process has been so silly that a Wrath of God event as another delay, is more amusing than anything.

I'm not even saying "final delay"; I more than half expect to get a 3080 that makes a coil screech or is actually a hamburger or something.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 9, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol have they announced a switch port for CP2077? what do you call sub-potato performance

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

shrike82 posted:

lol have they announced a switch port for CP2077? what do you call sub-potato performance

Pringles can?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if there's a switch version it will probably be a thin client streaming from the cloud like the Control "port"

in that case it may run better than the base xbox version :v:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

they said it probably won't get a switch port

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
i mean what would a switch port even look like? it'd have to be one of those cut-down versions like back in the 360/ps3 era where the wii "port" of a game was something entirely different that only shared the branding and general concept with the real game

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

They could replace the open world with a static map where you jump from set piece to set piece

lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

If you never cared or paid any attention to any sort of fantasy games, then yeah, I guess they came out of nowhere. But TW3 sold over 50 million copies. Unsure exactly how many copies TW2 sold, but somewhere north of 10 million. They've been the biggest fantasy franchise since The Elder Scrolls, and as noted, have sold about as many copies as Skyrim did, placing them both in the top-20 all time best sellers list.

So yeah, they "came out of nowhere" in the same way that whoever the hell it is that produces Madden games (they're still a thing, right?) "comes out of nowhere" to people who have never bothered to play a football game.

It is true that CDPR only works on one or two titles at a time, though, so generally are a bit more quiet than other AAA studios out there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EVGA came through just in time, now I won't have to miss a single launch day bug.

Custom power cables was def overkill, but I like how it all turned out.

Oh and it had black lipstick not the red one

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i mean what would a switch port even look like? it'd have to be one of those cut-down versions like back in the 360/ps3 era where the wii "port" of a game was something entirely different that only shared the branding and general concept with the real game

If you look how TW3 ended up playing on the Switch, yeah, I wouldn't really hold out any expectations for it. Which is probably why they haven't committed to actually putting it on the Switch.

Enos Cabell posted:

EVGA came through just in time, now I won't have to miss a single launch day bug.

Custom power cables was def overkill, but I like how it all turned out.
Looks nice, but I'm struggling to figure out how your system is oriented there. Did you just flip the photo upside down by accident?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Sagebrush posted:

one of the youtube comments says that the depicted scene occurs just after you've had some brain fuckery done to you and the weird blocky reality glitches are part of that effect.

not clear whether running the entire scene at 18fps is also part of it

So the car-associated particle systems when viewed from a third person perspective update at single digits because of surgical recovery? That's some Philip K. Dick kinds of fun. I'm more put off by the abrupt pop-in for detailed reflections while driving, that is hella distracting.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DrDork posted:

Looks nice, but I'm struggling to figure out how your system is oriented there. Did you just flip the photo upside down by accident?

It's an inverse mount case, Corsair Carbide 600C.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

shrike82 posted:

If they can port Doom Eternal and Witcher 3 to the Switch, they can port (in time) CP2077 to the Switch.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
More 3080 Ti rumblings.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If they can port Doom Eternal and Witcher 3 to the Switch, they can port (in time) CP2077 to the Switch.

Doom Eternal had its framerate cut in half for the Switch port, in a way the TW3 port is more impressive because it was already a 30fps game and they had to make it work on the same frame budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Cmon baby, early January no whammies no whammies