Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/pgTWFir.mp4

To be fair, this seems like the least bad iteration of the idea to date.

Is there any advantage to this over just making a small helicopter? Do the quad blades make it more stable and easy to control, or something? And if so, why wouldn't you at least make sure they weren't level with the cockpit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Helicopters need an expensive rotor mechanism, multi-rotors just brute force it with fixed props. (I don't know if this is why, best I can think of.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess it lets you have an open cockpit without being constantly blasted with downwash. But the open cockpit is itself one of the big safety issues...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Log082 posted:

Is there any advantage to this over just making a small helicopter? Do the quad blades make it more stable and easy to control, or something? And if so, why wouldn't you at least make sure they weren't level with the cockpit?

it's cheap as poo poo and doesn't require any kind of license to fly.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

theres a little cock in every vinyl

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Log082 posted:

A helicopter crashes if its single motor dies or rotor fails. This thing crashes if any of its multiple motors or props fail. The multi-rotor deathtraps also can't autorotate in an emergency.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Log082 posted:

Any techbro jackass can get a carbon fiber tube chassis done up by a local bike shop and attach absurd DC motors and CF props to it. Same flight control computer as a regular camera drone, just using much larger motor controllers and it also flies just like the camera drone. The only difference between the drones that fly around the RED 8k IMAX cameras and this thing is if you crash and kill the camera, something of value was actually lost.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't wait until people start racing these things, and neither can the emergency rooms.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Any techbro jackass can get a carbon fiber tube chassis done up by a local bike shop and attach absurd DC motors and CF props to it. Same flight control computer as a regular camera drone, just using much larger motor controllers and it also flies just like the camera drone. The only difference between the drones that fly around the RED 8k IMAX cameras and this thing is if you crash and kill the camera, something of value was actually lost.

Interesting. What are the odds that we can get billionaires in on doing this racing themselves?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Benagain posted:

The guy in the back suddenly realizing he should cover his beer is killing me

newbie, my 2nd coffee of the night usually has cutting oil swirling around top, metal shavings fall to the bottom because we still respect gravity

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

shoeberto posted:

Yeah ok smart guy, so what happens when the atlantic drains entirely into the pacific and floods everything. Dumbass.

Easy-peasy! The tide will rush back and forth 2x per day, keeping the oceans balanced and aiding with widening and dredging the canal!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Bad Munki posted:

Same, and if you're fighting the stuff, Sonar AS is spendy as hell but it loving WORKS.

May of last year, after largely ignoring the problem for multiple years:

It was so thick, the kids could barely paddle through it at all in their little kayaks. That clear spot in the middle was only possible from constant aeration pushing the stuff back.

One treatment and two months later:

The only stuff floating on the surface there is just leaf matter and such from the trees.

No damage to the fish I have in there or any other aquatic life that I can tell. And since it knocked it down so effectively, I haven't had to do anything at all this year, just as clear as ever.

What naturally limits the growth of, or eats, duckweed? I feel like if it gets that bad at all, something's off with the local ecosystem.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

What naturally limits the growth of, or eats, duckweed? I feel like if it gets that bad at all, something's off with the local ecosystem.

Bird life, but only in areas its native to. Its very invasive so if its introduced the native wildlife gets scared.

Its actually very nutritious and is grown for food for humans in a couple of countries. Its also bei g bioengineered currently for biofuels and cattle feed since its basically ideal for either.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have duckweed in my aquariums and my chickens go nuts for it so yeah get a few hundred chickens I reckon.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dirk the Average posted:

Interesting. What are the odds that we can get billionaires in on doing this racing themselves?

unfortunately impossible, it's not nearly expensive or exclusive enough to interest billionaires.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mozi posted:

I have duckweed in my aquariums and my chickens go nuts for it so yeah get a few hundred chickens I reckon.

I think you mean ducks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
*rubs eyes* what the...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

dwarf tossing

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Coke guy rules, I bet that smelled incredible

I once had to extinguish an engine fire with 2 liters of Dr Pepper Code Red and can confirm that it does not smell good.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

`Nemesis posted:

unfortunately impossible, it's not nearly expensive or exclusive enough to interest billionaires.

Yeah, it has to be space, deep ocean trench, and hopefully soon diving into hot magma near the center of the Earth.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I once had to extinguish an engine fire with 2 liters of Dr Pepper Code Red and can confirm that it does not smell good.

Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew code red, or some kind of horrible mixture?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ComradePyro posted:

Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew code red, or some kind of horrible mixture?

*Dr Pepper Red Fusion. One of the terrible concoctions that sustained me in college.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
"this is unit 12 calling in, we've got a code red situation! send the hazmat teams! i repeat, we've got a mountain dew code red situation!"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm gonna need to see a good one, because that looks pretty excellent to me?

Edit: She is gonna get her hair caught in that thing though. High speed rotating things and loose hair already don't mix, add in some wind and :eyepop:

The General fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 19, 2024

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

By popular demand posted:

Searching for information, I found a page beginning with this perplexing choice of image:

https://gluethings.com/what-is-b7000-used-for/

LimaBiker posted:

Does anyone know exactly what solvents are used in b7000? I've heard that some of those glues from the same manufacturer contain carbon tet (or a similar chlorinated solvent) which is not something i wanna gently caress around with. But so far i haven't found any hard evidence about what's used in which glue.
Well let's just say it's no Fuji IX.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Log082 posted:

Yeah the main thing is that designing a bespoke helicopter from scratch takes at least some level of engineering and knowledge, but scaling up a DIY drone kit with bigger parts is just a matter of how much money you want to dump into the project to get a useless toy

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/6Cw2ifP.mp4

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Either palm trees don't obey the laws of physics, or there's something hokey going on with the perspective/stuff-out-of-frame there.

edit: yea it's cropping, you can see the rope at 0:12.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

So you think local bike shops make their own frames. Got it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/pgTWFir.mp4

To be fair, this seems like the least bad iteration of the idea to date.
it's dumb as hell but this thing looks fuckin sick

put a paraglider on it as a backup, dust your hands and call it a day. (perhaps, your last!)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

do you work in the industry or at least follow it? because manufacturing carbon fiber frames is most definitely a thing that local bike shops can do now

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

KoRMaK posted:

do you work in the industry or at least follow it? because manufacturing carbon fiber frames is most definitely a thing that local bike shops can do now

Fascinating. Got any reading or sources about that?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

A lot of bike shops around here will build a custom frame for you, beside selling brand name bikes.

e: missed the CF part.

gbut fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 19, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KoRMaK posted:

Yeah just bust out the autoclave. What the hell are you talking about lol

Bike shops can buy pre-made tubes from China and glue them into aluminum joints, you can make joints by wrapping tow and epoxying them, but a random LBS is not going to be making frame tubes from scratch unless it's some $$$$ bespoke place in San Fran selling to dentists.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

reading? hell nah

this comes by way of a bicyclist's YouTube channel that i follow, wherein he at one point described the custom frames his partner's shop started to make by laying the carbon fiber on a jig and then putting it into a container that cures it. the shop that i thought was doing this was affinity based in Brooklyn

or maybe im wrong

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 19, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/9RJz3jZ.mp4

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KoRMaK posted:

reading? hell nah

this comes by way of a bicyclist's YouTube channel that i follow, wherein he at one point described the custom frames his partner's shop started to make by laying the carbon fiber on a jig and then putting it into a container that cures it.

The "container that cures it" is probably an autoclave, they are huge, hugely expensive vacuum ovens. LBS do not have those. They would have to contract that out to a composites shop. Otherwise they got prepreg that cures at low temp and rigged up their own vacuum chamber.

Saying local bike shops can do it by asking the nearest aerospace contractor to do it for them is a take. If they didn't use vacuum bag and use an autoclave they're going to have voids of air that compromise the structure.

Post this video so I can see what you're on about.

edit: nice edit about being "maybe wrong" lol

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

At what point does a jump turn into a fall

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
was really hoping for a clip from Motocross Madness to be in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue