Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

haveblue posted:

Peak altitude I guess
I bet you're a bundle of fun at a philosophy debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

At what point does a jump turn into a fall

Above a certain delta v at touchdown

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The ski jump is clearly fake because there's no yeti charging in from offscreen at the bottom.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

KoRMaK posted:

reading? hell nah

this comes by way of a bicyclist's YouTube channel that i follow, wherein he at one point described the custom frames his partner's shop started to make by laying the carbon fiber on a jig and then putting it into a container that cures it. the shop that i thought was doing this was affinity based in Brooklyn

or maybe im wrong

Ah, too bad you're talking out of your rear end. I work in bicycle manufacturing on the steel side and it would have been genuinely interesting to find out what the carbon fiber people are up to that's not just endless recalls of parts that will kill you instantly.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Serephina posted:

Either palm trees don't obey the laws of physics, or there's something hokey going on with the perspective/stuff-out-of-frame there.

edit: yea it's cropping, you can see the rope at 0:12.

What do you mean? :confused:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/s0J0V8w.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dirk the Average posted:

The ski jump is clearly fake because there's no yeti charging in from offscreen at the bottom.

:hmmyes:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

What do you mean? :confused:

The way it is cut and the top portion of the tree is leaning seems to imply it would fall away from the person on the tree, but instead it falls towards the cut (as intended) because they have secured a rope to the top and have tension on it. That is what the person is looking towards when they finish the two cuts, presumably to signal to pull the top of the tree down to a safe area.
E: Or this is the osha thread and it's just one guy down at the bottom yanking really hard and hoping for the best.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
ah that makes sense, i was looking at the rope hanging from the chainsaw :)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

:rock: gently caress YEAH :rock:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DelphiAegis posted:

The way it is cut and the top portion of the tree is leaning seems to imply it would fall away from the person on the tree, but instead it falls towards the cut (as intended) because they have secured a rope to the top and have tension on it. That is what the person is looking towards when they finish the two cuts, presumably to signal to pull the top of the tree down to a safe area.
E: Or this is the osha thread and it's just one guy down at the bottom yanking really hard and hoping for the best.

The way it's cut indicates he wanted it to fall in the direction it did. You put the notch cut in the direction of the fall, which makes a little wooden hinge that controls the direction of the tree. Then the back cut releases the tree to do what it's gonna do. You're right in that it got some help from a rope, but the way it's cut was very intentional.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hey, have you seen the president and foreign minister of Iran? They went missing after taking a helicopter from the Azerbaijan border, in thick fog in mountains. Total mystery, I know.

BBC has this helpful analysis of the official reporting.

quote:

What does 'hard landing' mean?

Iranian state media have used the phrase "hard landing" to describe the reported crash of the Iranian President’s helicopter.

Hard landing is a phrase often used by authorities in Russia to describe incidents when aircraft crash. It is commonly used by the Russian Defence Ministry when reporting incidents with military aircraft.

For example, in June 2022 an Il-76 military cargo plane crashed in Russia’s Ryazan region, killing five service personnel on board. The Russian military initially described the incident as a hard landing, despite the fact that the aircraft was almost completely destroyed on impact.

Analysts say the word "crash" is avoided by Russian officials due to fears it can cause upset or panic. This is called newspeak, and other examples include calling an explosion a “bang” and a death of a soldier “an unidentified absence from a military unit".

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

not sloppy enough to be CIA, DEFINITELY not sloppy and unprofessional enough to be Mossad, gonna chalk this one up to "helicopters being helicopters"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Flipperwaldt posted:

Geosynchronous orbit

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MrQwerty posted:

not sloppy enough to be CIA, DEFINITELY not sloppy and unprofessional enough to be Mossad, gonna chalk this one up to "helicopters being helicopters"

Yeah thick fog in mountains seems like a poor choice of "environments for helicopter flying", though that said, "clear sunny day with no wind" is also dangerous for flying helicopters in from what little I know.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Crashing is the natural state of a helicopter so adding bad weather only makes it harder for the pilots' prayers to keep it aloft

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nenonen posted:

Hey, have you seen the president and foreign minister of Iran? They went missing after taking a helicopter from the Azerbaijan border, in thick fog in mountains. Total mystery, I know.

BBC has this helpful analysis of the official reporting.

See also “failure to maintain ground clearance”, “uncontrolled flight into terrain”, “spontaneous disassembly”, etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah thick fog in mountains seems like a poor choice of "environments for helicopter flying"

Good recipe to meet Kobe and have something in common when you meet him, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

i don't think it should count if the ground on the landing side falls away like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think it should count if the ground on the landing side falls away like that.
That's what I'm saying!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sagebrush posted:

When u think about it a longjump is just a rudimentary form of of unpowered flight :thunk:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've heard of green energy but this is ridiculous

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mozi posted:

i've heard of green energy but this is ridiculous

use it if you got it :2bong:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/pgTWFir.mp4

To be fair, this seems like the least bad iteration of the idea to date.
looks a lot more fun than this autonomous one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKYtf0SyL6Q

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/XFjpOjV.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAgGx8mzcI8

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:stare:

Ok, no more front seat passengers

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

WTF is up with that gremlin hand, where did that extra joint come from, that looks like some weird foot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

koshmar posted:

WTF is up with that gremlin hand, where did that extra joint come from, that looks like some weird foot.

She's wearing a long white sleeve and it looks like there's something bulging at the wrist under it, probably a smart watch. If you don't look closely you might not even notice in the early frames where the sleeve ends and fingers start, in the later frames saturation blends them all together like in your screenshot.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 19, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

"smart" doing a lot of lifting in that sentence

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Jump far enough and the curvature of the Earth starts to become a factor.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

it’s looks like the passenger is … arguing about, too? idgi

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Flipperwaldt posted:

when the landing ramp is missed

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

We've all played Super Mario Galaxy

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

agreed. take off and landing point must be the same altitude. otherwise it’s falling or gliding. I’m gonna write to the ioc.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

When you jump and miss the Earth it is no longer a fall.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Karate Bastard posted:

When you jump and miss the Earth it is no longer a fall.

technically it is, it's just called orbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Orbit, the least efficient way to fall.