Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The lack of player reflection is weird, but I guess I'm kind of used to it being a minor irritation in games for a while. Mirrors that don't actually reflect, stuff like that. I will say that after playing a lot of Wolfenstein: Youngblood that I'm going to find the absence of my reflection to be weird whenever I get around to picking up CP2077. Hopefully they'll add it in after a little more time with people beta testing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

repiv posted:

I wonder if omitting your character from reflections was intentional, first-person characters tend to move in really bizzare and unrealistic ways that look ridiculous from any other perspective

Do you have the video so I can see what game this is from? This is incredible if real :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s Crysis 2 or 3, I think.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah it's Crysis 2 with a modded camera in singleplayer

some more third person first person horrors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmZX8iz2SE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcz-3paQ26k

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wonder how well my 3070 will do (once it arrives) with 2077. It’ll be paired with a i7 8700 and running the game at 1440p. Seems like it might be able to do that? Is the game that pretty or just poorly optimized?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
much worse does fine. Its unrealistic expectations that are the problem. The game is playable on a wide range of hardware.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
CP2077 in 1440P Ultrawide consistently allocates over 9GB of the VRAM on a 3080 :suicide:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

wolrah posted:

LFC is a GPU-side thing not a monitor-side thing. The monitor just has to have a variable sync range wide enough to support it, which from a technical standpoint means the maximum variable refresh rate must be at least double the minimum. For practical reasons the vendors prefer to have the range larger than that, AMD's slides when they introduced LFC said the maximum needs to be at least 2.5x the minimum, and support is required for any of the more advanced FreeSync branding beyond the basic one. nVidia doesn't have any published resources I can find but their G-Sync Compatible list doesn't have anything with a range smaller than 2.5x either so it seems like they're going with that too.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd assumed it to be a monitor function.

Finally read the legendary https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/ article - haven't had an NVidia card in a while, though not for lack of wanting one! - and it says gsync can show tearing even when the framerate is within the gsync range if there are sudden changes in framerate. Turning on VSync apparently corrects for this within the gsync window - which is entirely counterintuitive to me. So the perpetual turn on vsync+gsync suggestion applies to more than outside the vrr range for nvidia cards apparently.

OP should turn on vsync if they haven't.

There's also this person suggesting that if you have a monitor that doesn't have a 2.5x/2x VRR ratio you can still limit fps to max/2 Hz and NVidia will frame double and do gsync in that low range. That thread is rightly skeptical of that claim but it'd be worth testing if on an nvidia card: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/apa2rr/nvidia_is_doing_lfc_differently_could_amd/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Fauxtool posted:

much worse does fine. Its unrealistic expectations that are the problem. The game is playable on a wide range of hardware.

Yes, exactly

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The lack of PC reflections is very noticeable. Maybe we’ll find out the V is a vampire and we’re actually in Shadowrun :shrug:

The game seems like a pastiche of good looking areas/effects mixed with dated gameplay/graphics.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
The PNY 3080 does have a metal backplate.

It also comes with a "sag protector" that wants to occupy the four slots under your GPU, so, I hope you don't have any other peripherals or poo poo. (The way this mounts, you could pack a device under it, but it would be annoying)

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

jisforjosh posted:

CP2077 in 1440P Ultrawide consistently allocates over 9GB of the VRAM on a 3080 :suicide:

yeah and if you had 20gb it would probably allocate 19gb

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Voxx posted:

yeah and if you had 20gb it would probably allocate 19gb

Yeah I know allocation isn't usage, just haven't had another game get above 8GB

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So some feedback, if your hardware is similar:

PC - i9 9900k oc at 5ghz, 64gb 3200mhz ram, 2080 (non super) at 1965mhz, aorus master z390 motherboard, all on a custom hardline loop. Running cp2077 on a m.2 ssd. Monitor is an alienware 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 at 120mhz.

So the default suggested settings had me at about 40fps in the intro - didn't even test it in combat or high-sprite settings. After tinkering, at about 80fps in city areas, and about 100 in the training area (wi. Set most shadow, fog, cloud settings to medium (or one step under the highest setting), raytracing to ultra and DLSS to ultra performance. Kept anisotropy at 16, turned off film grain but left the rest of the Basic field on. Turned off raytraced reflections.

There is noticeable artifacting (like, not due to GPU issues, just the DLSS 'artifacting') but it's worth it for the higher and smoother framerates. Honestly surprised the 2080 is producing such high frames; the DLSS really *really* shines here.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 10, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DLSS Ultra Performance really isn't supposed to be used at resolutions like 3440x1440, it's exclusively positioned for extreme resolutions like 8K, maybe 4K at a stretch

You're probably better off raising the DLSS setting to at least Performance mode and lowering some other quality setting to level out the framerate

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

repiv posted:

DLSS Ultra Performance really isn't supposed to be used at resolutions like 3440x1440, it's exclusively positioned for extreme resolutions like 8K, maybe 4K at a stretch

You're probably better off raising the DLSS setting to at least Performance mode and lowering some other quality setting to level out the framerate

Dropping it to performance lowers frames to about 50; it's... rough.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

bus hustler posted:

To not make this the CP only thread but related, I think for sure anyone on a 2080 card or better should just ride this generation out. The jump from a 2080 or better to a 3080 isn't worth the price. This was supposed to be the "RT is here" game and it's not so far.

Feeling pretty good about this whole console generation and getting a 4080 :coal:
Yeah I only have a 1660 but that's pretty much what I'm doing. Come 2022 when there's an obvious large gap (?) between PC and consoles again I'll see what's up (especially if I have a TV with VRR by then).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

skylined! posted:

So some feedback, if your hardware is similar:

PC - i9 9900k oc at 5ghz, 64gb 3200mhz ram, 2080 (non super) at 1965mhz, aorus master z390 motherboard, all on a custom hardline loop. Running cp2077 on a m.2 ssd. Monitor is an alienware 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 at 120mhz.

So the default suggested settings had me at about 40fps in the intro - didn't even test it in combat or high-sprite settings. After tinkering, at about 80fps in city areas, and about 100 in the training area (wi. Set most shadow, fog, cloud settings to medium (or one step under the highest setting), raytracing to ultra and DLSS to ultra performance. Kept anisotropy at 16, turned off film grain but left the rest of the Basic field on. Turned off raytraced reflections.

There is noticeable artifacting (like, not due to GPU issues, just the DLSS 'artifacting') but it's worth it for the higher and smoother framerates. Honestly surprised the 2080 is producing such high frames; the DLSS really *really* shines here.

repiv posted:

Echoing repiv here.

Running 1440p ultrawide with DLSS Ultra Performance is likely 720p internal and upscaled so ofcourse you'll see a lot of artifacting

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm gonna repeat since this thread probably overclocks more: kill that memory oc for cyberpunk. Crashed 4 times in the corpo start with memory oc settings, turned memory oc to zero, and then played 6 hours with no crashes. Clock oc didn't matter.

Game's fun and don't want people to be stuck with the issue.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Echoing repiv here.

Running 1440p ultrawide with DLSS Ultra Performance is likely 720p internal and upscaled so ofcourse you'll see a lot of artifacting

Ultra Performance is 1/9th scale so 3440x1440 renders at 1146x480

basically 480p, there's really not a lot for the reconstruction to work with there

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm gonna repeat since this thread probably overclocks more: kill that memory oc for cyberpunk. Crashed 4 times in the corpo start with memory oc settings, turned memory oc to zero, and then played 6 hours with no crashes. Clock oc didn't matter.

Could be an issue with people thinking passing port royal means its stable.

It should be able to do it on loop for 30 minutes both thermally and stability wise.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

repiv posted:

Ultra Performance is 1/9th scale so 3440x1440 renders at 1146x480

basically 480p, there's really not a lot for the reconstruction to work with there

Jesus really? DLSS really is some techno-magic given how well it resolves considering the internal res

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Could be an issue with people thinking passing port royal means its stable.

It should be able to do it on loop for 30 minutes both thermally and stability wise.

Mine did that easily and my gpu is water cooled so it never went past 60c when it crashed. I could do torture tests no problem. Long sessions of Control seem like a far better test since it is very oc sensitive and I'd gotten my oc to do that no problem. Cyberpunk seems way more sensitive

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

v1ld posted:

it says gsync can show tearing even when the framerate is within the gsync range if there are sudden changes in framerate

This is because it's not about framerate, but the underlying thing framerate represents - frame times. Any time two frames come more closely spaced than the refresh time on a monitor, VRR is disabled and you get standard vsync on or off behavior.

There's a bit more to it than that that can cause some slop where the frametimes don't necessarily need to be faster than the monitor's refresh rate, but yeah, in general leave vsync on if your goal is to never see tearing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
15417 initial 3dmark score, time spy 2k
GPU score 17156
CPU 9794

PNY 3080
Zen7 3800x
MSI MPG x570 gaming edge
32gb g.skill pc3600

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Doesn't seem to do anything in cyberpunk for me RTX doesn't add much but did make everything blurry with DLSS. Control plays fine on 2000 series cards too but that once again remains the only game people can really cite for it.

It's just not a big deal to me and it's going to nuke performance for this entire generation. Given how well it plays with it off on the 2080ti it just isn't worth bumping for. If only the 3080 & 3090 can run it and only with DLSS... it's a generation off.

??? Looks great and runs great on my 3080.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ijyt posted:

??? Looks great and runs great on my 3080.

:same:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

It seems like RT features increase CPU demands along with GPU demands. I'm actually CPU limited at 1080p in open city areas with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 3060 Ti with RT. The biggest performance increase I've found for RT is actually turning down the crowd density. I get up to 40% higher lows in areas with dense crowds at high settings when you turn it down to low.

DLSS quality, 1080p for all, in an area with dense crowds:

75FPS lows with crowds low, ultra, no RT
55FPS lows with crowds high, ultra, no RT
57FPS lows with crowds low, ultra, RT medium to psycho, it makes no difference
41FPS lows with crowds high, ultra, RT medium to psycho, again no difference

The only time I got near 100% GPU usage during any of the tests in that section was with crowds low, RT pyscho, or turning off DLSS with crowds low and no RT. You probably need a high-end Intel or 5000 series AMD processor to fully take advantage of the newer GPUs.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Can someone explain the dlss settings to me, I'm still confused. How does the combination of my resolution setting+dlss setting work?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

pyrotek posted:

It seems like RT features increase CPU demands along with GPU demands. I'm actually CPU limited at 1080p in open city areas with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 3060 Ti with RT. The biggest performance increase I've found for RT is actually turning down the crowd density. I get up to 40% higher lows in areas with dense crowds at high settings when you turn it down to low.

The only time I got near 100% GPU usage during any of the tests in that section was with crowds low, RT pyscho, or turning off DLSS with crowds low and no RT. You probably need a high-end Intel or 5000 series AMD processor to fully take advantage of the newer GPUs.

Oh no, that doesn't bode well for the 1440p monitor I just set up (running the same specs as you)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Can someone explain the dlss settings to me, I'm still confused. How does the combination of my resolution setting+dlss setting work?

DLSS upscales to whatever your resolution setting is, so generally the resolution should still be set to the native res of your monitor

The internal render resolution is roughly half your resolution setting on DLSS Quality, 1/3 on Balanced, 1/4 on Performance, and 1/9 on Ultra Performance

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

repiv posted:

DLSS upscales to whatever your resolution setting is, so generally the resolution should still be set to the native res of your monitor

The internal render resolution is roughly half your resolution setting on DLSS Quality, 1/3 on Balanced, 1/4 on Performance, and 1/9 on Ultra Performance

Ah okay, that makes sense, thanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

these are the actual internal resolutions it uses for various common output resolutions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

For us mere mortals without ampere or Turing cards has anyone had any luck with making the other upscaling options work?

On my 1070 the nvidia experience “optimize” option recommended the lowest option on the slider for 1440p.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

I have a pretty aggressive memory OC on my 1070 and haven't had a single crash in the 6 hours I've played. Also, the only bug I've run into so far was that I couldn't pick up a couple of junk items off the ground.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don't know how but the game looks sharp on 4k Ultra Performance DLSS on a 55" TV. It looks sharper than 1440p Quality DLSS. Where it kind of falls apart is in the resolution of the ray traced effects.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

For us mere mortals without ampere or Turing cards has anyone had any luck with making the other upscaling options work?

On my 1070 the nvidia experience “optimize” option recommended the lowest option on the slider for 1440p.

Dynamic FidelityFX CAS is working well for me. Set fps target once enabled to something reasonable for your res/gpu - like say, the higher end of the frames you're already getting. Set minimum resolution to 90% or even lower. Set other graphics options then tweak those two relative to each other, fps target & min res, until you're happy with fps and resolution.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Animal posted:

I don't know how but the game looks sharp on 4k Ultra Performance DLSS on a 55" TV. It looks sharper than 1440p Quality DLSS. Where it kind of falls apart is in the resolution of the ray traced effects.

The chart that was posted a few up for DLSS shows that 4k performance has a higher render resolution than 1440 quality, so it makes sense that it's sharper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

pyrotek posted:

huh, i think i might put off getting a new pc for longer than i was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I gotta say though, some of the HairFX in CP are quite impressive.
Most of that would have tanked your FPS 5 completely years ago (exhibit A: The Witcher 3).