Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is truly the absolute funniest time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

is everything from the 2011ish caw-blade standard deck modern legal now?

Everyone totally ignored this but Preordain is still banned.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 27, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I thought Huey was cooler than that but I guess he's been Owen's teammate for years

On the other hand hard to imagine he didn't know about whatever poo poo Owen was getting up to

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

I thought Huey was cooler than that but I guess he's been Owen's teammate for years

On the other hand hard to imagine he didn't know about whatever poo poo Owen was getting up to

They live together

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/RyanOverdrive/status/1166083167209631752

This twitter thread has the same energy as this: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/36642_Moderns-Last-Hurrah.html

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the biggest beneficiary of a stoneforge unban is any RB deck that can play koco and pick up a bunch of free wins against the people jamming the stoneforge package into an otherwise functional UW or GW shell

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

MikeCrotch posted:

Sounds bad to post this but in a lot of cases I’ve found a lot of abusers / harassers just get a free pass from their friends in general; even from friends of the opposite sex. I don’t quite understand it. Locally some dude got exposed for harassing, abusing, and stalking his ex girlfriends (abuse happening during the relationship) and plenty of people just sort of looked the other way. I’ve asked some people why still associate with him and the response has been sort of a shrug of the shoulders and a generic “well, we have history and I don’t abandon my friends” - it’s lovely and stupid, especially when the person has done nothing to right wrongs (in the above situation the dude filed lawsuits against his exes to stop talking about how he abused & stalked them)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If K Command becomes a maindeckable card again, then Modern is in a good place

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Owen Turtenwald is now streaming Hearthstone and i'm sure his chat is going to be a fuckin trainwreck lol

I'm sure he's desperately hoping being banned from Magic does for him what it did for Reynad.

tzirean posted:

He time traveled to when he thought everything would have died down even though he never commented or apologized, and he miscalculated.

Notable people who liked his tweet: Huey (retweeted), Corbin Hosler, Matthias Hunt, Shuhei Nakamura, Thiago Saporito, Pascal Maynard.

gently caress all these people.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the biggest beneficiary of a stoneforge unban is any RB deck that can play koco and pick up a bunch of free wins against the people jamming the stoneforge package into an otherwise functional UW or GW shell

If I had to guess whats going to happen then Jund is gonna rise up to the top to crush all this bullshit, after that UW is gonna turn into its final form (which may or may not include SFM) and then the format will just be a title fight between the two grinding death machines that Jund and UW will be (with several guest appearances by Whirza, Tron and some other sort of flavor of the month combo/all-in aggro deck).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

U/W doesn't need any help with both Teferis and Jace.

I could see it as a sideboard package against fast creature decks or burn, though.

Edit: Might as well throw in my 2 cent predictions. Jund is going to be the immediate winner with Whirza and Tron pulling off decent results. Mardu and/or Grixis Shadow are going to come back to harass everyone. When everyone thinks Shadow is back on top, Affinity (either standard or Harden Scales version) comes out from under the ring with a metal chair and clobber Shadow for the surprise pin.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 27, 2019

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Prepared to be wrong and I’m still gonna jam 4 in death and taxes, but I just can’t see sfm being THAT strong in modern these days

Feels like if it does get super strong it’s in some new shell but still, idk

AnEdgelord posted:

If I had to guess whats going to happen then Jund is gonna rise up to the top to crush all this bullshit, after that UW is gonna turn into its final form (which may or may not include SFM) and then the format will just be a title fight between the two grinding death machines that Jund and UW will be (with several guest appearances by Whirza, Tron and some other sort of flavor of the month combo/all-in aggro deck).

I think modern could benefit from having jund and u/w as pace setting decks that people know are tier 1. Helps keep other decks in check, like when twin was around

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

uggy posted:

I think modern could benefit from having jund and u/w as pace setting decks that people know are tier 1. Helps keep other decks in check, like when twin was around

Part of the reason I think/hope this will be the outcome is that thoughtseize and force of negation are two very powerful anti-linear cards that are also useful in the fair matchups as well and now that the one thing they arent good against is out (graveyard strats) then we'll see them assert their dominance.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Esper Faerieblade will be the best deck in Modern

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

uggy posted:

Prepared to be wrong and I’m still gonna jam 4 in death and taxes, but I just can’t see sfm being THAT strong in modern these days

Feels like if it does get super strong it’s in some new shell but still, idk

extremely powerful iterations of Traditional Midrange and Traditional Control being tier 1 in Modern is a sign of a healthy format. the thing everyone hates about the format is that it's two people trying to goldfish past each other? well, jund and UW don't do that.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I think the GW Coco deck that popped up like a year ago could be the best shell for SFM. The deck gained Giver of Runes, Knight of Autumn, and SFM since it was last (briefly) relevant. Seems to stack up well against Jund and even Tron with all those Ghost Quarters and ways to find and recur them.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If I were to actually choose a really good deck for SFM, I think Bant Snow will be extremely good with it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
He lives

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dude aged hard since his outing.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Boy the comments on his Twitter post sure are something

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Marketing New Brain posted:

gently caress all these people.

In fairness, Hosler undid his like and retweeted Alex Hayne's "gently caress that guy" tweet, so he can be off the poo poo list.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wait I'm bad at keep tracking magic personalities, was Turtenwald cast out because he cheated or because he's a sex badman?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

Wait I'm bad at keep tracking magic personalities, was Turtenwald cast out because he cheated or because he's a sex badman?

Sex pest

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
Lmao I just got blown out by a sideboard Weather the Storm from Jund, of all decks.

I am both excited and afraid for Storm in this new meta.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That's it, I'm playing Siege Rhino.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I threw together a (seemingly) jank mono-G ramp deck for the current Arena event, and I had fun playing it so I took it to bo1 ranked, and it seems to be actually decent?

https://deckstats.net/decks/110427/1392482-finale-ramp-arena-best-of-1-

Turns out that Aggressive Mammoth is basically Hoof off of a turn 5 Finale x10 :v:

tzirean posted:

In fairness, Hosler undid his like and retweeted Alex Hayne's "gently caress that guy" tweet, so he can be off the poo poo list.

I'm glad to hear that, Corbin seems like good people :)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 27, 2019

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Isn't Todd Stevens or whatever the SCG sex pest's name was still one of the top MTG streamers? These people always come back and the community rarely if ever rejects them the second time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Isn't Todd Stevens or whatever the SCG sex pest's name was still one of the top MTG streamers? These people always come back and the community rarely if ever rejects them the second time.

Bots and chuds. Chuds love hanging out together. Look at (or please don't) /r/freemagic and that one dude's awful YouTube channel.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

whoever is doing the thread name changes is doing a fuckin awful job

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Good Lord. Ugh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
first sfm spotted in the casual room. its kind of weird to see it.

was a good game

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Lone Goat posted:

How about “Stoneforge Mistake”

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Eldraining your wallet since 1993

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oceanbound posted:

How about “Stoneforge Mistake”

like, is the current title supposed to be a riff off of Fred Flintstone? because it doesn't work on mutliple levels

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Magic: the Gathering: Don't Hate the Graveyard, Hate the Game

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

like, is the current title supposed to be a riff off of Fred Flintstone? because it doesn't work on mutliple levels

you are dramatically overthinking this

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

This actually made the title way funnier to me, because now I can only read it as Joel Vinesauce trying to say "Fred Stoneforge" in the manner of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-xdiL7Nr0

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Magic: the Gathering: Faithless No More

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Serious question: Since it looks like phoenix is dead (until a good discard cantrip shows up again) and that deck was the primary oppressor of Bant spirits, does the ban make spirits a real deck again? I'm trying to figure out exactly how screwed the humans deck I just got together is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

rkajdi posted:

Serious question: Since it looks like phoenix is dead (until a good discard cantrip shows up again) and that deck was the primary oppressor of Bant spirits, does the ban make spirits a real deck again? I'm trying to figure out exactly how screwed the humans deck I just got together is.

Yes. Spirits is A Thing again.