Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Get contacts. Holy poo poo they are life changing and make me feel like I can ride way, way better because of the improved field of view, lack of fogging and general less busyness.

I generally find glasses work fine, but then Sydney weather is less fog-prone than NZ. I hate contacts, glasses are just less of a pain for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Lynza posted:

Yeah, pinlock really is nice. I wish they made it for glasses. My visor is fine, my glasses are foggy jerks.

You may check out a balaclava or a Buff, too. That'll help keep your face warm and doesn't involve a new visor.

Yeah, I have a balaclava, but my nose size/shape always leaves a gap at my cheekbones and just funnels the breath up to the visor instead of down.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You don't need to change helmet, just visor. You can even drill your own visor to put the pins in place if nobody does a prepared one.

That's a good idea, I do have an extra visor I could use. I found some websites selling DIY kits that come with a template and a correctly sized insert but they are only UK sites. The cheapest I can find are like $65 shipped to the US. I'll have to think about it though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Contacts are fine, but LASIK is loving amazing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiffness posted:

One day :sigh:

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Koruthaiolos posted:

Yeah, I have a balaclava, but my nose size/shape always leaves a gap at my cheekbones and just funnels the breath up to the visor instead of down.

That's a good idea, I do have an extra visor I could use. I found some websites selling DIY kits that come with a template and a correctly sized insert but they are only UK sites. The cheapest I can find are like $65 shipped to the US. I'll have to think about it though.

Depending on the helmet, you might be able to get the equivalent snow visor. I use this on my Bell (though I really only have use for the visor) and I have never had it fog up at all. The attachable breath mask worked for a time with my glasses as well before I got LASIK.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

That looks perfect (I have a bell star)! Didn't know they had an anti fog visor for it. Thanks!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Spiffness posted:

I've got an appointment for an exam on the 6th of December and I'm so excited.
I'm nearsighted with astigmatism so they are very needed but wearing glasses is annoying if only for the fact that I always manage to scratch or drop every pair of glasses in the process of riding. As it sits now I need an exam as well as prescription sun glasses and new regular glasses. It is only about double the cost for LASIK so I said to hell with it. I'm going to do some medical tourism in Mexico (which is about 30 minutes from here so not much touring) and get the procedure done at a place where several of my friends/acquaintances have already.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
LASIK fo life yo. (Or something has gone very, very wrong I guess?)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Not having lovely vision ftw! :cool:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I went in with 'if I'm ever without my glasses and lost in the woods or something I'm hosed' and left with 20/10 super human sight.

Worth every penny.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Get contacts. Holy poo poo they are life changing and make me feel like I can ride way, way better because of the improved field of view, lack of fogging and general less busyness.

This is true. People who ride red dirt bikes with no mufflers across peoples' lawns in residential neighborhoods at 5 in the morning will benefit greatly from contacts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It was across a foot bridge for god's sake.

Speaking of which, the other day I was waiting (in a car) at an intersection next to the mall about 3km from my house (which I ride past every day on the way to work) and a guy steams past on what could be best described as a BMX with an engine. No riding gear, skateboard helmet, no number plate or lights of any kind, screaming it's tits off and swerving through the queue of taxis next to the combination bus stop/train station which is right next to the mall parking lot and pedestrian entrance.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 28, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mmmm.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Bugdrvr posted:

I've got an appointment for an exam on the 6th of December and I'm so excited.
I'm nearsighted with astigmatism so they are very needed but wearing glasses is annoying if only for the fact that I always manage to scratch or drop every pair of glasses in the process of riding. As it sits now I need an exam as well as prescription sun glasses and new regular glasses. It is only about double the cost for LASIK so I said to hell with it. I'm going to do some medical tourism in Mexico (which is about 30 minutes from here so not much touring) and get the procedure done at a place where several of my friends/acquaintances have already.

Something irks me about Mexican LASIK.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
A year or so ago I got a chinese clone scooter in a trade for a TV stand. After cleaning the carb/replacing the battery to get it up and running again I forgot to actually connect the seat lock cable to the locking mechanism when putting everything back together. Fast forward a few weeks ago when the battery died :cry:. Finally got around to spending 3 hours partially taking off one of the side panels in a way its most definitely not designed to be removed so I could get something into the locking mechanism to open it, only managing to break one plastic tab in the process

Jumped it with the motorcycle and rode it around town a bit and back home. Turned it off and the battery is dead, lights aren't even remotely on etc.

Time to re-trade this to someone else since it needs a new battery and registration is due soon and I'm not riding it enough since I have a real bike now.
Having a shared driveway sucks, I would ride this more if it wasn't a total pain to move 4 other vehicles to get it out.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 30, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Minkee posted:

Something irks me about Mexican LASIK.

How come?

EDIT FOR CONTENT: New tire for the Suzuki. Put some oil in the engine too.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bought a new one today - 2004 Honda 599 (Hornet). I've only ridden it about 30 miles so far and can't wait to get a little riding in before it gets too cold around here. It's much more fun to twist the throttle on than the 250 :)

First order of business will be to replace the weird metal aftermarket grips it has with stock ones. Also going to run some seafoam through it because the carbs are gunky

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 30, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gently caress phone posting

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOcycgXpms

Should be a solid bike and you didn't even want to check it out :P

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnOcycgXpms

Should be a solid bike and you didn't even want to check it out :P

I guess I have to come clean about turning the idle screw up a notch too lol

It was 55 degrees today and it ran well with no choke at all. It did cut out when i gave it gas initially, but it's most likely related to the dirty carb.

At least I know the bike has perfect compression :V

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I thought that the carb (FCR39) on my DRZ just needed a little adjustment to the accelerator pump timing to get rid of a bit the engine bog when you jerk the throttle open. Turns out that little pump isn't working at all. Then I ran out of daylight. gently caress.

At least my valves are in spec for probably another 4kmi. Hopefully the bastard is just clogged somewhere.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 1, 2014

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Finally got it registered and insured.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Today I learned that my bike will go 143.1 miles before running bone dry and cutting off. :lol:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

BlackMK4 posted:

Today I learned that my bike will go 143.1 miles before running bone dry and cutting off. :lol:

It's good knowing your limits? Chalk it up to 'endurance testing'.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Slavvy posted:

It was across a foot bridge for god's sake.

Speaking of which, the other day I was waiting (in a car) at an intersection next to the mall about 3km from my house (which I ride past every day on the way to work) and a guy steams past on what could be best described as a BMX with an engine. No riding gear, skateboard helmet, no number plate or lights of any kind, screaming it's tits off and swerving through the queue of taxis next to the combination bus stop/train station which is right next to the mall parking lot and pedestrian entrance.

Sounds exactly like my former roommate (Roommate A). He built his own moped out of a weak frame beach cruiser and some lovely 100cc China motor bolted on with hose clamps.

That was until Roommate B got creamed by a Civic on his moped. I so very badly wish it was Roommate A that got nailed, instead.
He rides a horribly dangerous piece of poo poo handmade deathtrap like a complete donkey and Roommate B somehow caught all that karmatic injustice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

He rides a horribly dangerous piece of poo poo handmade deathtrap like a complete donkey

You say this like it is a bad thing. Isn't riding like a complete donkey the point of building a piece of poo poo death trap out of a beach cruiser?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

You say this like it is a bad thing. Isn't riding like a complete donkey the point of building a piece of poo poo death trap out of a beach cruiser?

I suppose I was being a bit redundant. Either way, I wish someone had granted his death wish.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Marxalot posted:

I thought that the carb (FCR39) on my DRZ just needed a little adjustment to the accelerator pump timing to get rid of a bit the engine bog when you jerk the throttle open. Turns out that little pump isn't working at all. Then I ran out of daylight. gently caress.

At least my valves are in spec for probably another 4kmi. Hopefully the bastard is just clogged somewhere.

Diaphragm looks brand new, but it turns out I'm missing some gaskets and o-rings. No/very little AP. That explains the bog.

Welp.

$20 in parts, wait a week, and it'll run better than it ever has.

e: Liquid gasket would probably work fine, but the carb is already off the bike, so spending an extra $7 on a float bowl gasket isn't a big deal.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 2, 2014

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
First real foray into carbs. A buddy of mine races two stroke motocross bikes and helped build me some charts to tune the carbs on the FZR. I had to remove the stock airbox because it kept popping off, so it was running like balls all along the mid range of throttle inputs.

Moved needle clips down 1 and went two sizes bigger on the mains. Bike runs beautifully. :hfive:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Getting a coolant leak fixed under warranty at the shop, and new rear pads put on.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marxalot posted:

Diaphragm looks brand new, but it turns out I'm missing some gaskets and o-rings. No/very little AP. That explains the bog.

Welp.

$20 in parts, wait a week, and it'll run better than it ever has.

e: Liquid gasket would probably work fine, but the carb is already off the bike, so spending an extra $7 on a float bowl gasket isn't a big deal.

Have I gone crazy? Has everyone forgotten that gaskets are just paper / card? I buy sheets of it from the local trade places.

15 minutes and a craft knife.

I'm not even an old codger.

EDIT: and I'm aware they're only cheap, but if you have the paper on hand and the other option is to order them and stall the repair for a day+, I'll just cut one out.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 5, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Float bowl gaskets have been NBR in *all* carbs I've taken apart so far (not many, but still).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Float bowl gaskets have been NBR in *all* carbs I've taken apart so far (not many, but still).

In that case, just use RTV!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I would never use RTV for float bowls. It's not generally fuel resistant and as it disintegrates the chunks are going straight into your jets.
You can buy lengths of Viton gasket material to make o-rings just as easily as paper. Just buy in the right diameter, cut to length and put in the groove. It doesn't need to be an attached ring to seal properly. It will squeeze against itself and seal just like it's squeezing against the carb bodies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bugdrvr posted:

I would never use RTV for float bowls. It's not generally fuel resistant and as it disintegrates the chunks are going straight into your jets.
You can buy lengths of Viton gasket material to make o-rings just as easily as paper. Just buy in the right diameter, cut to length and put in the groove. It doesn't need to be an attached ring to seal properly. It will squeeze against itself and seal just like it's squeezing against the carb bodies.

I've never heard of this. I believe you when you say they seal just fine but my brain is insisting that there is no way that can work.

Much like rope rear main seals on old car engines, it's ugly and inelegant and shouldn't be a thing but it is somehow.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got the idea from some motorcycle board where everyone seemed to do it. I also thought it was weird but after having done it a few times I'm confident in it. I agree that it's not elegant but it's better than paying $15 an o-ring for factory parts on a poo poo pile bike.
Much better than RTV any way you look at it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

In that case, just use RTV!

I hate you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bugdrvr posted:

I got the idea from some motorcycle board where everyone seemed to do it. I also thought it was weird but after having done it a few times I'm confident in it. I agree that it's not elegant but it's better than paying $15 an o-ring for factory parts on a poo poo pile bike.
Much better than RTV any way you look at it.

Next time I have a shitpile bike that springs a carb leak I will definitely do this because carb-specific parts are unobtainable here.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

ReelBigLizard posted:

Have I gone crazy? Has everyone forgotten that gaskets are just paper / card? I buy sheets of it from the local trade places.

15 minutes and a craft knife.

I'm not even an old codger.

EDIT: and I'm aware they're only cheap, but if you have the paper on hand and the other option is to order them and stall the repair for a day+, I'll just cut one out.

They came in the mail today*, and they look like rubber to me. I've never heard of using paper. Anyways I needed the o-ring and u-ring to get the AP working again.

*Jets-r-us sent me whatever this is http://www.jetsrus.com/individual_parts/007_731_su.html instead of a float bowl gasket. gently caress.

e: AP works wonderfully now :toot:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got my new-to-me old used sport fender for the Buell today, I put it on. It's blue, bike is green. That will need to be corrected, but it's going to look pretty sharp without the beak.