Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are there water hammer arresters that work? I have a couple 'MiniRester AA size' units on my LG washer, and the pipes still get loving slammed around, like literally hear them shaking around in the wall. I'm guessing the plumbing is not attached/mounted well at all, so I probably need something extra gentle.

Closing the valves a little bit helps slightly, though I don't know if the machine is filling/measuring water correctly then.

I see there are physically larger units like https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-1-in-Male-Thread-Copper-MIP-NPT-Water-Hammer-Arrestor-Type-C-HRMPT1C-NL/308601318 but you'd need some custom 3-way connection I suppose.

Are they old? It's possible they've failed internally.

The machine shouldn't care about the valve being slightly closed - it needs to deal with a wide range of water pressures anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Interesting. They're like 8 years old, I hadn't considered they can just fail if water gets behind the seals.

I ordered a couple new ones that I can either A) replace these or B) if these still work evidently one pair isn't enough and I can stack them, as silly as that looks.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are there water hammer arresters that work? I have a couple 'MiniRester AA size' units on my LG washer, and the pipes still get loving slammed around, like literally hear them shaking around in the wall. I'm guessing the plumbing is not attached/mounted well at all, so I probably need something extra gentle.

Closing the valves a little bit helps slightly, though I don't know if the machine is filling/measuring water correctly then.

I see there are physically larger units like https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-1-in-Male-Thread-Copper-MIP-NPT-Water-Hammer-Arrestor-Type-C-HRMPT1C-NL/308601318 but you'd need some custom 3-way connection I suppose.

I have some of these and I find that in my scenario they have to be replaced once a year. I also found that putting a second one on the other side of the house helps.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've never seen anything like a Water Hammer Arrester around here, I wonder what makes them necessary in the US but not in Denmark.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I've never seen anything like a Water Hammer Arrester around here, I wonder what makes them necessary in the US but not in Denmark.

They're not so much "necessary in the US" as they are "necessary in homes with improperly fastened copper plumbing".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Motronic posted:

They're not so much "necessary in the US" as they are "necessary in homes with improperly fastened copper plumbing".

...oh it's literally just to make your plumbing not swing around every which way? I thought maybe y'all had some like, extreme pressure swings or whatever that could maybe rattle your pipes apart or something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

...oh it's literally just to make your plumbing not swing around every which way? I thought maybe y'all had some like, extreme pressure swings or whatever that could maybe rattle your pipes apart or something.

Don't worry we definitely also have that somewhere. The country is large enough I can say that with confidence.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

PurpleXVI posted:

extreme pressure swings or whatever that could maybe rattle your pipes apart or something.

That's exactly what water hammer is. Modern electronic solenoids act so fast that the water flow is shut off instantly and the momentum of the water in the pipes causes it to compress and build up pressure. If your pipes aren't secured properly it will cause them to hammer against framing and in some cases can cause pipe or fittings to fail.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Boo, toilet tank is cracked... at least american standard makes it really easy to get warranty replacements.

I was starting to have weird flush issues anyway, so ... problem solved I guess

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

What do ya think the odds are that valve works? Heh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Honestly? Pretty good odds it will. Those are typically high quality quarter turn made to be buried valves.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, they just buried unprotected soft copper pipe? Wild.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao, they just buried unprotected soft copper pipe? Wild.

That's how it's been done for decades and decades. Then they started with direct burying poly pipe with a metal "tracer" on it, which rotted off decades ago so you can't find any of it with a metal detector now.

Not sure why one would do anything different. These direct burial installs by and large last 50+ years if left undisturbed.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

House was built in like 53, and just sprung a leak now, installed a shutoff between the house and street to try to isolate it. (ended up just cutting out the spigot, will install a proper frost free one later) Turns out it's not between the house and the street sadly... the hunt continues.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rakeris posted:

House was built in like 53, and just sprung a leak now, installed a shutoff between the house and street to try to isolate it. (ended up just cutting out the spigot, will install a proper frost free one later) Turns out it's not between the house and the street sadly... the hunt continues.

Wait, so what exact symptoms are you chasing? Do you live somewhere that the meter is at the curb rather than on the house?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have city water and I have very hard water. I want to filter and soften but I can't tolerate any drop in water pressure. I have about 2600sqft, 4 people, 2.5 bathrooms. What units/brands should I look into?

Do I want to soften the water going to the outside faucets that I use mostly for watering grass and washing cars? I would think filtered water for washing cars would be fine, would it could possibly leave mineral deposits. I also heard softened water with salt can kill grass or plants.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Boner Wad posted:

I have city water and I have very hard water. I want to filter and soften but I can't tolerate any drop in water pressure. I have about 2600sqft, 4 people, 2.5 bathrooms. What units/brands should I look into?

Do I want to soften the water going to the outside faucets that I use mostly for watering grass and washing cars? I would think filtered water for washing cars would be fine, would it could possibly leave mineral deposits. I also heard softened water with salt can kill grass or plants.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe the big brand for at-home water softening is BWT(they're also available and marketing in the US, but I don't know if there are any more well-established brands over there), and we've been happy with their quality after installing one of their units. Generally the "with salt" kind is the only sort of water softening you should look into, all of the poo poo that rambles on about using magnets or whatever is utterly fake and won't do a loving thing. Its also worth noting whether the water softener has a timer for regeneration, or whether its purely on-demand, if its on-demand make sure to get a "duplex" version with two cells or it'll inevitably end up regenerating its lone cell while you're using it, and while its regenerating, you're going to get "hard" water pouring through.

My experience is that there's zero loss in water pressure, and unless there's something grievously wrong you don't end up with any salt in the actual water coming out of faucets. Its entirely as reagent for "regenerating" the cells inside the water softener so they can catch more limescale before it ends up being an annoyance. Generally, though, I would say only water soften the water for indoors use, most outdoors purposes don't care about the water being soft or hard, and you may as well save the bother.

Of course, generally the most convenient place to locate the water softener is as soon as possible after the meter, and if you have some outdoors water connections well after the meter, it may be a huge bother to exclude them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah its my understanding that softening your water isn't a filter but it's a big container full of salt. I've always seen the salt thing never a filter type softener. You shouldn't see any difference in water pressure.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Motronic posted:

Wait, so what exact symptoms are you chasing? Do you live somewhere that the meter is at the curb rather than on the house?

Yeah, meter is at the curb, losing about 200gal a day to a leak I can't find. Checked all the usual suspects, toilets, sinks, tubs, fridge, installed the shutoff to rule out the yard. My current guess is it's under the slab somewhere... Hoping to narrow it down to see if it's worth trying to repair vs just abandoning it and running a new cold line in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My suggestion would be to separate your hard water and soft water, so you're not replacing salt or filters more often than necessary. Hard water is fine for flushing the toilet or watering plants. May not be physically possible to separate those depending on your plumbing setup and accessibility.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Nitrox posted:

My suggestion would be to separate your hard water and soft water, so you're not replacing salt or filters more often than necessary. Hard water is fine for flushing the toilet or watering plants. May not be physically possible to separate those depending on your plumbing setup and accessibility.

Limescale is absolutely what eventually kills most toilet mechanisms, may as well soften that water as well to keep the mechanisms functioning longer.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

MrChrome posted:

I have some of these and I find that in my scenario they have to be replaced once a year. I also found that putting a second one on the other side of the house helps.

devicenull posted:

Are they old? It's possible they've failed internally.

The machine shouldn't care about the valve being slightly closed - it needs to deal with a wide range of water pressures anyway.

Yes my old hammer arrestors were completely failed. You can barely hear it when the valve closes now. On the flip side, these things aren't exactly cheap these days, so I'm curious to see how long they end up lasting.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Can someone help me identify this valve stem? It's the diverter and I'm going to buy all 3 since my shower's all hosed up, but I cannot for the life of me find the right one.

Length: 5 1/2
Splines: 12

e: oook, imgur doesn't want to display i guess anymore. https://imgur.com/a/WBoGWuq

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Bring it to the plumbing Supply and match against whatever they have. Don't buy stuff like that online unless you are absolutely not in the rush to finish the project

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd personally start with the manufacturer's website to find the right model, sometimes small and easily missible things can gently caress you up with these, because there aren't really any standards as such for them.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd personally start with the manufacturer's website to find the right model, sometimes small and easily missible things can gently caress you up with these, because there aren't really any standards as such for them.

That's the main problem, I can't find a manufacturer's stamp anywhere on it. I'm probably going to end up going to a plumbing store either way, but if I can even get the right washers for it, I'd just replace those rather than the whole drat valve. I didn't realize it was going to be THIS frustrating to try and fix it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-12H-18D-Diverter-Stem-for-Price-Pfister-Faucets-17328B/100191294

I googled "3226 diverter valve"

This looks to be the oem one if you want that: https://www.pfisterfaucets.com/parts-support/troubleshooting/product/cartridge-9100220-diverter-stem-for-multi-handle-tub-shower-valves

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hardly knew er!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Thanks for the help. The OEM is too short, but the one from Home Depot is correct, and finally seeing the ID, I could use the guide here and matched it up on page B127, which my local Lowes has in stock for both the valves and the diverter. This poo poo was way too complicated.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I have an 1950s house with some ancient toilets I decided to take off and replace, but after I finally got the first toilet removed ran into this mess. The flange bolts are 6.5 inches apart and it looks like they used some kind of putty both under the toilet and to extend the flange "seal" down to the pipe (which is inset into the floor an inch or two). Everything crumbled and broke apart with the lightest touch--both the white "sealant" in the middle and whatever they were using around the flange presumably to level the toilet. I'm probably going to call a plumber out now that this isn't a simple swap out, but has anyone seen anything like this mess before?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh yeah, that old school J bolts in the wet tile bed. That's the kind of thing that only lasts for like 80 years or so :)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wow.

That should be in a plumbing museum, along with a marble slab that they used to use to mount your toilet on.

Wotta lotta lead

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Oh yeah, that old school J bolts in the wet tile bed. That's the kind of thing that only lasts for like 80 years or so :)

Probably would have continued trucking on if I didn't rip out the toilet it was attached to, which I'm fairly sure was 50+ years old and was awful (weak flush but absolute water hog). Had a massive tank that took forever to fill until I originally replaced the innards. We found a 2-liter soda bottle that the previous owner had placed in the tank to reduce the volume of the tank so it would fill faster. Only found that one out because they never took the ginger ale label off and it eventually deteriorated, fell off, and got stuck in the flapper. Real wtf moment "Why is there a soda bottle in my toilet?"

PainterofCrap posted:

Wotta lotta lead

Is that what that reddish corrosion is? It flaked off like nothing so I assumed it was some sort of dried up organic (wax + god only knows) material.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
For flared gas lines, is it correct to replace the whole thing (including fittings) if I've had to disconnect one of the side of the flare line?

Living through a kitchen update. Today I bought/replaced a whole gas hookup kit so I could have the oven disconnected for a few hours. The kit was $35 at menards and had a new MIP to Flare (with excess flow valve), flexible SS line, and flare to MIP.
I am definitely going to disconnect/reconnect again, and maybe a second time depending on flooring/cabinet/countertop schedule.
At $35 each it seems a waste to chuck these in the trash, but I also don't want to get hurt to save a buck.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

For flared gas lines, is it correct to replace the whole thing (including fittings) if I've had to disconnect one of the side of the flare line?

Living through a kitchen update. Today I bought/replaced a whole gas hookup kit so I could have the oven disconnected for a few hours. The kit was $35 at menards and had a new MIP to Flare (with excess flow valve), flexible SS line, and flare to MIP.
I am definitely going to disconnect/reconnect again, and maybe a second time depending on flooring/cabinet/countertop schedule.
At $35 each it seems a waste to chuck these in the trash, but I also don't want to get hurt to save a buck.

The fittings should last basically forever as long as they're mating faces are in good condition, but the flexible hoses should be replaced every once in a while. I replaced the fitting in my kitchen because a PO had slathered pipe dope all over the drat thing to get away with using a worn out flex line. Don't do that.

I think a handful of connects/disconnects are probably within the tolerance for them, but I would also recommend you get a bottle of leak detecting fluid (or just use soapy water) to test your connections after hooking everything back up every time.

Here's the fluid I use. I bought it in 2019 and I've used it a lot and found several leaks with it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0Q03KM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nitrox posted:

I grew up in a super hard water area (helloooo, limestone landscape) and it was routine for the water softener to feed all of the house except for potable water. I don't remember if the bathroom cold tap was included in that.

You should all have a glance at Auden's In Praise of Limestone, a poem I love, about the importance of geology to memory.

quote:

Dear, I know nothing of
Either, but when I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have an extremely basic question that I can’t google my way to answering:

My bathroom sink drains slowly up to a certain point as water comes from the faucet faster than it can go down the drain, then empties quickly all the way if I let the water run long enough and allow a large enough volume of water to fill up the basin. After that, it starts draining slowly again and water once more fills up in the basin.

This is annoying to deal with. Is it something drain cleaner would fix, or just an engineering feature of the sink? I ask because I don’t want to damage the pipes and because the p-trap (maybe there’s another name for a trap that is a full loop) under the sink actually goes in a full loop-the-loop, like this one:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the shape of the trap?

EDIT: Whoops—to add the missing information requested below:

There are no pipes other than the loop-the-loop one and the hot and cold lines in. This is something that has slowly gotten more noticeable over time, but I’ve only been in this place for a year. It’s an apartment and the building was built in the 1970s. Nobody has looked in the trap.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 14, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Your story is missing several bits of information. Is that something that started happening recently? Did anyone bother to undo the trap and see if it's clogged? Is this in the house, condo, or apartment building? How old is the building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have an extremely basic question that I can’t google my way to answering:

My bathroom sink drains slowly up to a certain point as water comes from the faucet faster than it can go down the drain, then empties quickly all the way if I let the water run long enough and allow a large enough volume of water to fill up the basin. After that, it starts draining slowly again and water once more fills up in the basin.

This is annoying to deal with. Is it something drain cleaner would fix, or just an engineering feature of the sink? I ask because I don’t want to damage the pipes and because the p-trap (maybe there’s another name for a trap that is a full loop) under the sink actually goes in a full loop-the-loop, like this one:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the shape of the trap?

Does yours also have an air admittance valve?

I have a feeling it's related. A go ogling here has suggested it may be clogged further down partially and that is causing back pressure and the valve won't open. My rudimentary application of fluid dynamics with your story is saying perhaps enough pressure of a full sink is able to do something and force it by, then low pressure when it's empty and it fails again.

So in summary, what the other poster said. Has this always been like this or new? Do any other fixtures have trouble draining? Can you test and see? Sometimes we get clogged pipes on sinks that don't get used much so we don't experience the symptoms. It's not often I drain a full sinks worth in my half bath for instance. Apply the scientific method to all of your fixtures and see what develops. Flush the toilet twice back to back. Pour a give gallon bucket down each sink. Get this sink draining and when it goes faster pour a bucket in and see if it maintains.

The solution to most draining issues is to hit it with a snake.