Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm surprised that Aatrek didn't post about the Star Trek Gold box.

Star Trek TOS 1-3 $88.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PQ7JQK...GNXJX8XEE9HYHX6

Star Trek Next Generation - $49.99 each except S3 which is $57.49
Season 1 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083TUEHY...Z5QADW788EF87E5
Season 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095XPZBC...B098YBN4774K3QN
Season 3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7VZN76...XWETMVMV96H0EY6

That's the cheapest TOS has been and it's a steal if you're a fan. They did an amazing job remastering everything and it's fun to press a button to swap between the old and new special effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It was already in the BR Deal thread and the TVIV Trek thread. Didn't want to spam it up :)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's a great deal on TNG, but given how much TOS is getting discounted these days, wouldn't it be better to wait for a bundle deal?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Harlock posted:

That's a great deal on TNG, but given how much TOS is getting discounted these days, wouldn't it be better to wait for a bundle deal?

TOS has never, ever been this cheap, and the Blu-rays have been out for four years. TNG still has a year of releases to go before they're finished.

If you're planning to buy any of the four sets on sale, NOW is the time.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

The pHo posted:

Kind of. Rather than having a mess of different resolutions and pixel aspect ratios, we all use 720p/1080p etc which is great. However, for some reason that nobody has been able to explain to me (but I expect it's due to some idiotic sense of backwards compatibility that I'm sure isn't needed) while we both share 1080/24p for film, you guys use 1080/60 for video and we use the pointless and stupid 1080/50.
Despite 1080p24 being pretty much standard for films on Blu-Ray, HDTV is still another story entirely. A lot of Euro-only film releases come from masters intended for TV broadcast, which need to be 1080p25, and anything shot for TV in PAL land needs to be 1080p25 or 1080i50 for compatibility with standard definition 576i50 broadcasts.

...! posted:

Doesn't some of that have to do with why blu-ray releases of British shows are 1080i? Something about how British TVs can't do 1080p? Someone said that in practice watching a blu-ray of a British show at 1080i on an American TV is identical to watching a 1080p blu-ray but I don't understand how that's possible.

I probably have some or all of that wrong but I'd like to understand it.

The Blu-Ray specification doesn't allow for 1080p25 (or 1080p30) flagged video streams -- they have to be flagged at 1080i50 (or 1080i60), regardless of whether they're really interlaced or not. The reason it's a "flag" is that the encode itself is identical, the flag just indicates whether the odd and even lines refer to different frames, or whether they actually make up full progressive frames.

It's known as 1080PsF .. Progressive segmented frames.

BBC HD, for instance, broadcasts in 1080i50 all the time, but has the ability to set a progressive flag to tell the TV that it doesn't even have to bother deinterlacing and that the 1080i50 broadcast is *actually* 1080p25.

But the flag is just a hint, if it's not there (as on Blu-Ray), the TV's deinterlacer is still perfectly capable of analysing whether a stream is 1080i50 or 1080p25 and displaying it accordingly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just bought the remastered Total Recall and Terminator, and I'm blown away at how good they look. Absolutely worth replacing older versions if you have them like I did. I actually feel a little guilty taking the old versions to my used DVD store. When I bought Total Recall the first time, I watched it and went "meh" and filed it away. This time I can actually imagine re-watching it and inviting friends over to watch it either as a first timer or for nostalgia night.

Also, if anyone else was waiting for them, The Firm was finally released on BD earlier this year, and Liar Liar is coming out in 3 weeks. Liar Liar contains my favorite Jim Carrey line of all time - When one of his repeat offenders gets caught knocking over an ATM again and needs legal advice, he replies with "STOP BREAKING THE LAW, rear end in a top hat!" I have a few friends who really need that kind of advice.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just got Grimm Season One from Amazon... and the case is entirely made of paper. Not a bit of plastic to be found. In the year 2013. :argh:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

...! posted:

Just got Grimm Season One from Amazon... and the case is entirely made of paper. Not a bit of plastic to be found. In the year 2013. :argh:

The Futurama Blurays are this way too. They claim they did it to be more environmentally friendly than to use plastic.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

IUG posted:

The Futurama Blurays are this way too. They claim they did it to be more environmentally friendly than to use plastic.

That's what they said way back when a lot of DVDs were sold in awful paper cases. "Think of the environment!" they said. Then they stopped making paper cases because people hate them, and for good reason. They're purposely going back to something that they know for a fact their customers hate. I hope this doesn't become a thing.

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho
Why do people hate them?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Diogenes Ex posted:

Why do people hate them?

I remember with the Baraka getting three discs in a row that wouldn't work because they were too beat up thanks to the garbage cardboard sleeve it came in.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The boxes also look like complete poo poo in your shelf, all bent up and ugly.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Diogenes Ex posted:

Why do people hate them?

They're flimsy as hell. This one was somewhat bent by the time it got to me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I remember with the Baraka getting three discs in a row that wouldn't work because they were too beat up thanks to the garbage cardboard sleeve it came in.

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but a blu-ray disc is by design much harder to scratch than a DVD.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

...! posted:

That's what they said way back when a lot of DVDs were sold in awful paper cases. "Think of the environment!" they said. Then they stopped making paper cases because people hate them, and for good reason. They're purposely going back to something that they know for a fact their customers hate. I hope this doesn't become a thing.

Yeah, I hate the paper cases too, but I think they were a bit more genuine about trying to be more "green". They had whole episodes based on it, and Al Gore's daughter works on the show. There was a special feature with Al Gore even talking up the "carbon neutral" boxes.

I don't expect that it is the same for other releases really though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's on NBC, who do the whole green week thing and lots of shows participate in storylines for it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The pHo posted:

It's on NBC, who do the whole green week thing and lots of shows participate in storylines for it.

It's on Comedy Central, which is owned by Viacomm, which is owned by CBS, from what the Wikipedia articles linked me through. Originally the show was on Fox, but even then they had environmental issue episodes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was talking about Grimm, not Futurama. Sorry.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

CPL593H posted:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but a blu-ray disc is by design much harder to scratch than a DVD.

Which still doesn't always help. I bought a disc at retail that had a scratch in the middle of it; one of the prongs holding the disc in place had broken so the disc was sliding loose.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Aatrek posted:

TOS has never, ever been this cheap, and the Blu-rays have been out for four years. TNG still has a year of releases to go before they're finished.

If you're planning to buy any of the four sets on sale, NOW is the time.

Wow, for once Australia doesn't get burned. All TNG and TOS individual seasons were on sale for $32.98 a few weeks ago.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Help!

Not horrible, but this really could have used a new scan. Too much noise reduction and jaggies, so this is probably the old 2006 master uprezzed to 1080p.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of strange to me that a bigger deal is not made of mono music and soundtracks being "upgraded" to stereo, or 2-channel stereo to 5.1, etc.- you figure in a sense this is like colorization, it's altering the soundtrack to make it more commercial. There are some audio purists out there but you almost never hear movie directors or even sound people complain about the studio altering their work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's kind of strange to me that a bigger deal is not made of mono music and soundtracks being "upgraded" to stereo, or 2-channel stereo to 5.1, etc.- you figure in a sense this is like colorization, it's altering the soundtrack to make it more commercial. There are some audio purists out there but you almost never hear movie directors or even sound people complain about the studio altering their work.

What are some examples? While I would prefer the original sound format whenever possible, it seems that most 5.1 tracks are either supervised/approved by the filmmaker or logically remixed. And there's a lot of films originally released with stereo surround tracks, but mostly heard in mono.

The issue I have is when it is a remix and the original isn't included. Or putting the mono track on a cheesy 192kps Dolby Digital track instead of PCM.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRy0F9KIHA&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyIgjXtd59g&hd=1

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If it makes you feel better I can't stand this poo poo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Don't a lot of Blu's still offer the original soundtrack though? I'm sure that Jaws retains the original soundtrack as well as the remix for example.

I guess for a lot of people it's largely not noticeable unless you know what you're listening for. You colourise a film and people know it looks like poo poo, or if you gently caress up a transfer for example. But people aren't as attuned to audio issues. I really can't even see the point in upgrading a stereo or mono track to a 5.1 mix. It seems like a lot of work for little result.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Good lord, it's crazy how much better TNG looks. I've kind of been holding out on buying the redone seasons until there's a big box set with everything, but it's probably going to be years before they get it all done.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Good lord, it's crazy how much better TNG looks. I've kind of been holding out on buying the redone seasons until there's a big box set with everything, but it's probably going to be years before they get it all done.

At the rate they have been getting them out I would estimate sometime next year they should all be out.

Does that seem right Aatrek?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I think they will all be done by about May 2014. And if you're holding off, it took four years for the TOS sets to drop in price.

Also, they won't do DS9 if the TNG sets don't sell well... so buy 'em already!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

DrVenkman posted:

Don't a lot of Blu's still offer the original soundtrack though? I'm sure that Jaws retains the original soundtrack as well as the remix for example.

I guess for a lot of people it's largely not noticeable unless you know what you're listening for. You colourise a film and people know it looks like poo poo, or if you gently caress up a transfer for example. But people aren't as attuned to audio issues. I really can't even see the point in upgrading a stereo or mono track to a 5.1 mix. It seems like a lot of work for little result.

It's honestly hit and miss when it comes to getting the original soundtrack on a film. I think it's something that just honestly doesn't cross a lot of people's minds.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think saying that it's like colorization is too extreme. If it has an analog, it would be closer to what they are doing for the Next Generation: working with the original elements to update them for a new environment. They're usually going back to the original sound sources and just simply redoing the mix in a new environment to try and make it sound clearer and better. You don't necessarily have to add elements that weren't originally used to the mix or change how the sounds are, aside from giving them new position.

Another issue to remember is that movie sound technology took a long time to move forward. Jaws was released in 1975, and received a mono mix. Compare that to music: by 1975, not even singles were being mixed in mono. Pretty much everything had moved to stereo, and some stuff was even being released in quadraphonic. And just to go a bit deeper: the Rocky Horror Picture Show was originally mixed into mono. That was a musical in 75 being forced into mono. And even into the 80s, a lot of movies were still being mixed into mono. It was just a matter that a lot of movie houses hadn't upgraded their sound systems. Hell, Full Metal Jacket was originally released only in mono. Kubrick knew that if he wanted his movie to sound good in every environment, he had to stick with mono since even stereo was dicey back in 87!

This isn't like George Lucas added CGI and poo poo to Star Wars. This is basically doing everything you can to get the best out of the original elements.

For most films, as long as the new soundtrack is reverent to the old mixing decisions, it's not really a huge problem. There are a few films where the sound track is very integral, and there, they should make an effort to present the original soundtrack. And then there cases where you shouldn't even try, like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, since they don't have all the original elements to do a proper remix from. Apparently that's why "Let's Do the Time Warp Again" sounds like poo poo, because it's switching back and forth from surround to mono (or something like that).

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just checking, are the contents of these two WALL-E releases identical? (special features, anyway)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you were thinking "goddamn, I like Scarface but I wish it came with a handmade Marshall humidor", today's your lucky day.

The LE of Scarface dropped from $799 to $299

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNGLW0...S6C39HQ4HMVCENT

Hatter106 posted:

Just checking, are the contents of these two WALL-E releases identical? (special features, anyway)

Should be. Most of the time when they add a digital copy, they do nothing to the original discs.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 26, 2013

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
What site would be best for keeping a collection\want-list? Blu-Ray.com?

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

Digital Copy of Scarface (1983) (expires 9/30/2012)

Oh UltraViolet. :allears:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Multiplesarcasm posted:

UltraViolet is like Steam, it's a good system but the content providers keep trying to gently caress it up.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Multiplesarcasm posted:

Not that anyone really cares but the Product Details list above Special Features says "Digital Copy Expiration Date: April 30, 2015"

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Is there a particular copy of T2 I should buy?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
The TNG Season 5 trailer dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJeZfInsWRc&hd=1

There's a nice bit of replacement CGI at 2:15, where one of the film layers for the ship model passes was unusable.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yes, even Wesley is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

Aatrek posted:

The TNG Season 5 trailer dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJeZfInsWRc&hd=1

There's a nice bit of replacement CGI at 2:15, where one of the film layers for the ship model passes was unusable.

Bought the BOBW blu-ray and the 3 seconds of SD footage in the second half is so glaring it makes me so thankful for how fantastic the HD version has been.

• Locked thread