Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Decius posted:

And I stand by it. Between TFU/TFUII, and the current stuff in the books and comics it is the nearest thing to the Star-Wars-OT feeling/atmosphere there is. Although I'd say SWTOR - for all its many, many faults - comes pretty near to the OT at times (not necessarily the "superweapon of the week"-plot of the Jedi Knight though) too. The Clone Wars is hardly the crowning achievement of Star Wars, but it is a enjoyable series with some really good episodes at times, which is pretty much more than you can say for any other Star Wars product in the last 10 years. Also some really bad ones (Force Planet arc).
And it is definitely better than the PT for the most part. Even the Lucas-mandated episodes with JarJar are far more bearable than his scenes in the PT, but that's comparing a turd with a well polished turd.

Admittedly this season the Jar Jar episode was hilarious and done well. I groaned knowing it was going to be "one of those episodes" but the way it was handled I actually enjoyed it. Not enough to like the character, but hey.

To me, TCW comes across as the Prequel Trilogy not directed by Lucas. Sure, he gets to demand so much each season, but then the staff plays their own stuff afterward. I like the Clone-centric episodes, but even Anakin's personality in TCW is handled a lost more fluidly than any wooden acting was given in the actual live action films.

It's probably not the popular opinion in this thread (I also like Corran Horn, so take that how you will :v:) but I know my friends and I all enjoy TCW. Different strokes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I finally finished reading through the NJO, man that really was whole load of lovely books broken up by 2 or 3 good ones. Any franchise book typically occupies a bottom tier of literary quality, but I thought Traitor was pretty good even by mainstream standards. I can't remember the author's name but he did some really interesting things that freshened the gently caress out of the whole jedi vs sith thing and made me hopefully interested for where it would be taken in future series. Too bad the book immediately afterwards was trash, and apparently in this Dark Nest series they throw everything out the window and retcon Vergere as a Sith?

I guess there was a need to return everything to status quo with TOR and its retarded story in development.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's actually a guy at Lucasfilm whose duties are to keep continuity straight between all the EU stuff so it's pretty funny they still have to retcon things.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's actually a guy at Lucasfilm whose duties are to keep continuity straight between all the EU stuff so it's pretty funny they still have to retcon things.

Star Wars really is a religion.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

So I saw that there are three novels based on The Old Republic, one of them about Revan. It looks interesting because Revan is the most important person to that setting. Has anyone read it? Is it any good? How about the other novels?

Oh god. The book titled 'Revan' is not actually about Revan. It uses him and the Exile as pawns in the scheming of characters who go on to become the main villians in TOR. Ignore the book completely for your own sake.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I finally finished reading through the NJO, man that really was whole load of lovely books broken up by 2 or 3 good ones. Any franchise book typically occupies a bottom tier of literary quality, but I thought Traitor was pretty good even by mainstream standards. I can't remember the author's name but he did some really interesting things that freshened the gently caress out of the whole jedi vs sith thing and made me hopefully interested for where it would be taken in future series. Too bad the book immediately afterwards was trash, and apparently in this Dark Nest series they throw everything out the window and retcon Vergere as a Sith?

I guess there was a need to return everything to status quo with TOR and its retarded story in development.

If you value your sanity, don't read the Dark Nest trilogy. Nothing in that piece of poo poo makes any sense and there's nothing redeeming about it. And yeah, Traitor loving owns and is by far the best book in NJO. The Alliston books take second place.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Duckman2008 posted:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/mon-january-9-2012-george-lucas

Dear God they made Lucas seem human....

Yeah, I watched that the other night and was blown away by how much I still like the guy. He's a decently charismatic nerd and I always forgot that amidst all the "lucas ruining my star wars!!!" sentiment (that I too get caught up in).

Though when he was talking about Red Tails being the "middle" movie in a series (prequel + sequel), and how he had to keep working and working to get it to fit into one movie (ala star wars, he says) I did start to realize that he actually believes his own bullshit. At first I thought he was making a pretty clever and self-aware joke, but as he went on...nope.

To me, that's the craziest thing - and I do know people like that personally, so it's all the more strange. Someone can embrace a lie so much that they begin to believe it.

edit: I bit the bullet and ordered the 20th anniv. version of Heir. Been a while since I've indulged in some EU. I'm also tempted to install the KOTOR 2 Sith Lords restoration mod and give it another whirl, would be curious to hear if anyone has gone through it and how it compares to the vanilla game?

McGann fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 12, 2012

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

That must be the worst job in the whole company.

"Okay, so I've finally got all this Force nonsense in order and making sense, now I can move on to..."

"Hey, Bob, Denning says the Force can time travel now, so we're gonna need you to come in Saturday."

":smith:"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

McGann posted:

edit: I bit the bullet and ordered the 20th anniv. version of Heir. Been a while since I've indulged in some EU. I'm also tempted to install the KOTOR 2 Sith Lords restoration mod and give it another whirl, would be curious to hear if anyone has gone through it and how it compares to the vanilla game?

I believe the Let's Play for KOTORII in the LP Archive has bits on the restored parts. It fleshes out a bit of some of the side characters and aside from the HK Factory level, not much else really mattered.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Carnaticum posted:

Oh god. The book titled 'Revan' is not actually about Revan. It uses him and the Exile as pawns in the scheming of characters who go on to become the main villians in TOR. Ignore the book completely for your own sake.

I liked "Revan". :(

Has anyone picked up Darth Plagueis yet? If so, is it worth a read?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I liked "Revan". :(

Has anyone picked up Darth Plagueis yet? If so, is it worth a read?

I had completely forgotten about that book until your post reminded me. I just looked up a pretty detailed summary online and had several "WTF?!?" reactions.

Evidently during the events of The Phantom Menace, Darths Plagueis, Sidious, and Maul were all in play simultaneously. Sidious didn't truly become the sole Sith Master until the same time as the Battle Of Naboo, right before Darth Maul was killed.

EU. :psyduck:

Edit: Detailed novel summary here (spoilers, obviously). http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Plagueis

Sith Happens fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 12, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What? Oh gently caress you Star Wars.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Sith Happens posted:

I had completely forgotten about that book until your post reminded me. I just looked up a pretty detailed summary online and had several "WTF?!?" reactions.

Evidently during the events of The Phantom Menace, Darths Plagueis, Sidious, and Maul were all in play simultaneously. Sidious didn't truly become the sole Sith Master until the same time as the Battle Of Naboo, right before Darth Maul was killed.

EU. :psyduck:

Edit: Detailed novel summary here (spoilers, obviously). http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Plagueis

Huh. Well, I'm gonna start it this weekend, and I'll keep the thread updated.

And to be fair, it has been fairly well established that an Apprentice usually takes an Apprentice of his own before taking out his own Master.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
"Plagueis travels on the ship known as the Woebegone."

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2012

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"Darth Venamis"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Carnaticum posted:

"Darth Venamis"

On one hand you've got names like this, and on the other hand you've got dudes who are practically named Poopoo Peepee.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TOOT BOOT posted:

On one hand you've got names like this, and on the other hand you've got dudes who are practically named Poopoo Peepee.

At work I devised the name Darth Fuckus. It's got a ring to it, eh?

Also, there's my old standby, Darthy Sanchez.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Countdown til somebody writes the epic story of Darth Sukkoff, former jizz wailer turned dark jedi.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
^^^^ Sith music? Might a fun one. Swing/Swith? Dixieland/Outerrimland?

Yeah, Star Wars naming lets you disguise a word a little, like this: Darth Phoc. Which makes the official list that much more :psyduck: . Darth Scabrous, seriously? I am still surprised we haven't yet seen Darth Badguy, Darth Kewl or Darth Super, considering we've had things like Sleazebaggano, as subtle as a Death Star.

For Dubliners or Dallasites: Darth Train.

The carmaking Sith, Darth Dodge?

Was there ever a Darth Sith? I imagine him as a sophist Sith.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
You could probably start naming Darth's after metal bands and it would work well too.

Darth Megadeth? Darth Metallica? Darth Evile?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Cheapsteaks posted:

You could probably start naming Darth's after metal bands and it would work well too.

Darth Megadeth? Darth Metallica? Darth Evile?
I could support Darth Savatage 110%.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Darth Sabbath?
Darth Blue oyster cult?
Darth queensryche?

These ones could actually work though.
Exodus, Mastodon and Manowar.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Imagine all the names these authors come up with that don't make the cut. It's probably a very short list. Or, more likely, considering what we get, a very short list.

Also, I've always favoured alliteration.

Darth Dastard (or Dastardly)
Darth Douchebaggano (distant cousin of Sleazebaggano)
Darth Dictatorious (seeing as all Sith are fascists of some kind)

But hey, if its all in the name and some Sith see themselves as the good guys, and they can always be redeemed, there's bound to be a Darth Doorite.

e: on the subject of metal bands, I was scrolling through my music for inspiration and passed Mr. Bungle. Darth Bungle would make for a pretty cool villain. I don't think I am doing this right. How about Darth Vader?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKlw1Ug97Ts

Oops..

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My boyfriend once made up his own Sith concept, Darth Hedonis. He's an obese Human male who drapes himself in muumuus of the finest Lashaa silk, rides around on a spider-legged sedan chair, surrounds himself with Twi'lek dancing girls, and never learned lightsaber combat because it's easier to shoot lighting. Behold his neck rolls, ye mighty, and despair!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Before the prequel movies did everyone else think that Darth was just Vader's first name? I thought it was stupid when I found out it was a title/rank.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Mu Zeta posted:

Before the prequel movies did everyone else think that Darth was just Vader's first name? I thought it was stupid when I found out it was a title/rank.

It was, at one point, see Obi-Wan calling him "Darth" in battle like a familiar name instead of something like Captain.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pththya-lyi posted:

My boyfriend once made up his own Sith concept, Darth Hedonis. He's an obese Human male who drapes himself in muumuus of the finest Lashaa silk, rides around on a spider-legged sedan chair, surrounds himself with Twi'lek dancing girls, and never learned lightsaber combat because it's easier to shoot lighting. Behold his neck rolls, ye mighty, and despair!

Jombi! The chocolate icing! AHAHAHAHA!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TheCommodore07 posted:

And Terence Stamp had this to say about Chancellor Valorum: "I said, 'What's he like, the president of the universe?' And George Lucas said, 'He's a good man but he's beleaguered—a bit like Clinton.' That was before Clinton was as beleaguered as he is now, of course."

I feel like TPM would have been vastly improved if the vote of no confidence would have been cast over a sex scandal rather than space taxes.

Adding to the Star Wars name chat, it's always been strange names 90% of the time, but the onomatopoeia has really gotten out of hand.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Huh. Well, I'm gonna start it this weekend, and I'll keep the thread updated.

And to be fair, it has been fairly well established that an Apprentice usually takes an Apprentice of his own before taking out his own Master.

I just finished the book last night, and I thought it was a really good read.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mister Roboto posted:

"Plagueis travels on the ship known as the Woebegone."

"It's been a quiet week on my flagship at the edge of the Corellia system...."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"And thats all the news from Selonia; where the men are good looking, the children are above average and the women are all space otters."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"It's been a quiet week on my flagship at the edge of the Corellia system...."

Fil5000 posted:

"And thats all the news from Selonia; where the men are good looking, the children are above average and the women are all space otters."

I'm really glad I wasn't the only one who thought that immediately after reading the ship's name.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Vintimus Prime posted:

I just finished the book last night, and I thought it was a really good read.

58 pages in so far, and no objections.

Also, the Woebegone is really only there for a chapter before Plaugueis murders the crew, flies it back to Munnilinst, and has it sealed and slagged.

Plagueis is pretty badass.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, was up until 3:30 reading last night because Palpatine was introduced. Fun fact: he hated his immediate family so much he decided to discard his first name and go only by the name of his ancestral line.

Oh yeah, and he loving wastes his entire family with the Force before becoming a Sith.

If you thought Palps was awesome before, this kinda seals the deal.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Does it say what his first name actually is?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

VaultAggie posted:

It does not. Kind of unfortunate, but better than something really stupid becoming canon of any sort.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VaultAggie posted:

I think some books or other sources in the early '90s gave his first name as Cos.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Timby posted:

I think some books or other sources in the early '90s gave his first name as Cos.
That was from the early drafts of Star Wars, when Lucas had his full name as Cos Dashit.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That was from the early drafts of Star Wars, when Lucas had his full name as Cos Dashit.

I thought you were making this up so I had to look it up. It's actually true. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

His full name is actually 'Cos Dashit Tohitthefan'