Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sorry, Bandai Namco makes those sooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I swear all of you motherfuckers better get me Linca in a Musou game or I'm gonna be so angry at the internet.

Also said Musou game should have an in-depth crafting system where you can gather and create upgrades for your characters.

Also I want a pony.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

Sorry, Bandai Namco makes those sooooooo

Then Bamco should just make them good themselves.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What would the name be if Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco merged?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What would the name be if Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco merged?

Kodai Nammo because I like how it sounds :)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kondai Tecco

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Omega Farce

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Most people I've met loved their first Musou game. But lots of them get burned out on the formula and don't bother keeping up.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hi this is me

Same here. I bought PW3 a week ago and I'm loving it. I actually came to the thread for advice on how to git gud since it feels like the difficulty starts to ramp up in the middle of Chapter 1, and I imagine it only goes up as the game progresses.

Mostly I'm curious on the best ways to avoid damage and dish it out. Right now I just sort of spam the same couple of combos over and over again since they seem like the best way to clear an area of bad dudes, but then a named character will show up and my health will start to tank as I try and brute-force my way through them.

I'm also really annoyed by the PC port since it blacks out whenever I do a Kizuna Special and I'm not sure why it would do that.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

I just want to see the sick R2-D2 combos. L'il droid, rolling around, laying waste to legions of stormtroopers with inexplicably large lasers.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My Pirate Warriors tip is to learn to use the dodge ASAP. It avoids 99% of all enemy attacks, lets you cancel a combo into another combo, basically makes you unstoppable if you get the timing right.

Still need to be vary of something like a high leveled Moria or Akainu one-shotting you from off-screen, but it's the only way to play.

quakster fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 9, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

QuantaStarFire posted:

Same here. I bought PW3 a week ago and I'm loving it. I actually came to the thread for advice on how to git gud since it feels like the difficulty starts to ramp up in the middle of Chapter 1, and I imagine it only goes up as the game progresses.

Mostly I'm curious on the best ways to avoid damage and dish it out. Right now I just sort of spam the same couple of combos over and over again since they seem like the best way to clear an area of bad dudes, but then a named character will show up and my health will start to tank as I try and brute-force my way through them.

I'm also really annoyed by the PC port since it blacks out whenever I do a Kizuna Special and I'm not sure why it would do that.

Like a lot of Musou games, the very beginning and the very end are the two hardest parts. Once you get some levels, skills, and coins under your belt then you should be able to cruise through most of the game.

As mentioned above, dodging is very important in this game. Whenever you attack, you want to either dodge cancel into another combo or dodge cancel away from the enemy to reposition yourself.

My recommendation is to make sure you're close to or at the level recommended for the early stages, don't be afraid to use money to level up your lower people to your highest. Money isn't that hard to come by in this game and early levels are really cheap. Also make sure you're using coins to increase your stats, which may be a little difficult at first. Once you get into the groove of things, most coins will be relatively easy to come by. Finally, make sure you are unlocking and equipping skills. The ones that boost Kizuna Rush and Special damage are pretty great IMO and you can get them reasonably early.

One thing I didn't do that I think may be helpful is to go ahead and do Dream Log while doing Legend Log. I waited until after I completed Legend mode to even start it and it turned out to be a good source of XP, coins, and skills.

Also note that character balance is all over the place in this game. If you're struggling with one character, try another and you may have an easier time. Don't worry too much about treasure events and legend diary stuff, they have good rewards but are a lot easier to deal with when you're overlevelled.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The only Legend Diary you'll want to do ASAP is Thriller Bark because it's the only way to get Oars coins and a bunch of characters need them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mokinokaro posted:

And iirc EA has exclusive rights to make Star Wars games.

Well the right is to publish them-EA could consume KT and add it to their skull fortress make a deal for Koei to develop a Star Wars game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Jibo posted:

Don't worry too much about treasure events and legend diary stuff, they have good rewards but are a lot easier to deal with when you're overlevelled.

I disagree with this, I tried to do most of them at the appropriate level and I felt like it added some fun and challenge to the stages.

gently caress Thriller Bark though, I'm not going back to that shithole of a stage until I'm high enough level to blast through it, even if I do have a bunch of characters needing Oars coins

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
So humblebundle has a Koei-Tecmo sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/koeitecmoweekend/

How was Bladestorm Nightmare, both as a game and the pc port?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Suaimhneas posted:

I disagree with this, I tried to do most of them at the appropriate level and I felt like it added some fun and challenge to the stages.

gently caress Thriller Bark though, I'm not going back to that shithole of a stage until I'm high enough level to blast through it, even if I do have a bunch of characters needing Oars coins

If you're already having difficulty with the game, trying to go for bonus conditions and S ranks isn't really worth it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Thriller Bark isn't too bad on the replay, especially once you know where to go for the stuff at the end

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Theswarms posted:

So humblebundle has a Koei-Tecmo sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/koeitecmoweekend/

It's a nice idea ruined by Koei's inability to give games any teeth nowadays. If you had to use actual strategy and pick the right squads it would be interesting but the fact is that you can pick a squad type you like, level it up and destroy almost anything. They also added a function called 'station' which let's your characters go off and collect experience and items while you're not playing which utterly destroys any remaining challenge if you use it.
Playing the Nightmare campaign will also break the difficulty curve for the original one.
I haven't tried it on Hard but I imagine the same applies only it takes a bit longer to happen.

If you can restrain yourself from doing any of the things that snap the game in half and deliberately use some strategy it can be fun if somewhat repetitive.

Not sure on the PC port front but I don't remember anyone complaining.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Theswarms posted:

I'm actually considering getting either XL or Empires for Dynasty Warriors 8. I haven't played any of the games (other than 3 which I got from a bargain bin and everyone tells me is the worst one) so which would you guys suggest I pick up out of the two?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

xl

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8XL is the best unless you really want some light strategy elements. Empires really feels like a B-team effort though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Theswarms posted:

Port is good. Avoid Tokiden, that's the one port that was absolute poo poo from a fundamental standpoint.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

One thing I didn't do that I think may be helpful is to go ahead and do Dream Log while doing Legend Log. I waited until after I completed Legend mode to even start it and it turned out to be a good source of XP, coins, and skills.

Dream Log's the one where you can have all kinds of insane mash-ups, right? Do you get to choose your supports for that, or does the game give you random ones?

I'm greatly saddened that you can't play as Bon Clay in this. :(

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

KT I really want to support your Steam efforts but your reliance on last-gen resources is a let down. :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

QuantaStarFire posted:

Dream Log's the one where you can have all kinds of insane mash-ups, right? Do you get to choose your supports for that, or does the game give you random ones?

I'm greatly saddened that you can't play as Bon Clay in this. :(

Unfortunately you don't get to choose your support dudes beyond choosing stages where specific people show up.

The Dream Log stages are surprisingly randomized so if you see a battle that looks particularly lovely you can exit out of the preview screen then go back in for something better.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Broseph Brostar posted:

Thriller Bark isn't too bad on the replay, especially once you know where to go for the stuff at the end

It's knowing where to go for stuff at the start that's the problem, everything after that is just tedious

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 10, 2015

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Theswarms posted:

I can't speak for the port, but it is quite dull. It's an action/strategy hybrid the sense that it is too slow to be pure action and too simple to be considered strategy.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm still missing some characters in SW4-II, Ujimasu and Kotaro are from the Hojo story mode, I presume, what's the earliest you can unlock Nagamasa and Keiji?

Unlocked Keiji through the Date story mode, still don't know where to find Nagamasa. He's apparently not playable in any story, so I tried the castle mode, and got to the 80th floor, which is probably as far as I'm going to get.

Raserys fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I can't speak for the port, but it is quite dull. It's an action/strategy hybrid the sense that it is too slow to be pure action and too simple to be considered strategy.

yep

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

This is how I feel about the Empires titles. Though I haven't tried DW8E yet.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Imagine Crusader Kings II but every major battle is a Musou stage

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The IP and Samurai games are more "strategic" than Empires. At least, that's what I think when I see all those menu options that ultimately don't mean much in the long run.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Preordered the digital version of Dragon Quest Heroes. I have the Metal Slime PS4 so there was no real way I wasn't going to purchase it.

I've also beaten all the story mode in Samurai Warriors 4. Took 32 hours or so to get through everything. I think my hands will hurt for a few days since today was a marathon session. I'd like to say that I will go back and play chronicle mode and unlock everything but with Dragon Quest coming out, I seriously doubt that will ever happen. However I have to say that the game was well worth the 24 dollars I paid for it. Hyper attacking waves of peons is very satisfying.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 12, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

How limited is the splitscreen on DQ heroes? Can you play most of the content with couch coop?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It's single player only.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Good to know, I'll probably wait on a sale then.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It's a good game though. It's nice to see Omega Force changing up some of the established Warriors formula.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It's single player only.

This is the sole reason I'm not getting it, DQ style games are the number 1 thing I play with my GF it just sucks not being able to couch co-op one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What's the consensus on Hyrule Warriors especially when compared with SW4/4-ii and 8XLCE

this must be asked every few pages but the OP is old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mortimer posted:

What's the consensus on Hyrule Warriors especially when compared with SW4/4-ii and 8XLCE

this must be asked every few pages but the OP is old

I'd say it is one of the best games. It lacks the sheer content of SW4 or whatever but it's one of the most polished and well-designed musou games.