Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Great Swamps can also be a nasty place if you get caught far from cover when a blowout or psy-storm hits.

Leading you to haul rear end to the nearest cover, likely running into a conga-line of:

Back Hack posted:

And Renegades, who have armor and half-way decent guns.

Doing the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Grok posted an announcement that, after being diagnosed with otitis (inflammation of the ear canal), he's starting to feel better and moving towards the next major GAMMA update:

Grok posted:

Slowly getting back to modding since I'm feeling better 🙂

My plan for the next update is to focus on three things:

- Free loot coordinates in most maps. This will take a while, but it will completely change how players visit the Zone: checking buildings will actually matter in all maps. I know it will slowdown the update process of so many other things, but I can't conceive GAMMA 1.0 without that feature that will have a huge impact on how the game should be played. This will thus be my priority for the next update.

- Adding new addons from #mods-added-for-next-build

- All the small balance changes from #to-do

I want to fix important bugs and issues like the backpack disappearing after the first emission, or improving the performances of the game (new alife.ltx values, new prefetcher etc) but I know that if I focus on bugfixing and other "boring things", the next patch will take even more time because my motivation will dwindle.

So I need to focus on what modding always was for me: having fun 🙂 . Otherwise GAMMA will never reach 1.0.

I'm excited for the loose loot stuff, there are so many places not worth exploring because there's nothing in them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The first time I read Grok's recent discord update, I read it as "the itis".

I'm kind of curious about this "free loot coordinates" thing though. Like loot placed in the world, rather than in stashes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As in like the CoP vanilla where they have stashes lying around? I assume they're going to be randomized?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Namnesor posted:

I'm excited for the loose loot stuff, there are so many places not worth exploring because there's nothing in them.

Same, that will be a great change!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

OwlFancier posted:

As in like the CoP vanilla where they have stashes lying around? I assume they're going to be randomized?

I would hope they're randomized for sure, because being able to memorize where the choice items are and then start a game and have to resist the compulsion to immediately clean up shop is not something I want to return to now that it's gone. What's curious is that there's already semi-random loot placed in the world space in GAMMA, so I'm wondering if this means there will be more spaces for that sort of stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

well it cost me nearly a hundred rounds of .45 and almsot all my food/meds/vodka but I got a few jobs in the swamps done and the stash I originally went in to check out had a basic toolkit. So now I just gotta figure out somewhere to start setting up a base. Whats a good source of wood and metal scraps? Just breaking down junk items? Where do I get junk items besides buying them? I don't got much cash after restocking.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

well it cost me nearly a hundred rounds of .45 and almsot all my food/meds/vodka but I got a few jobs in the swamps done and the stash I originally went in to check out had a basic toolkit. So now I just gotta figure out somewhere to start setting up a base. Whats a good source of wood and metal scraps? Just breaking down junk items? Where do I get junk items besides buying them? I don't got much cash after restocking.

Taking apart hammers and shovels will be your primary source of wood and metal. Weapons sometimes give you a hunk of metal when taken apart, but wood is a bit hard to come by other than taking apart those tools. I haven't ripped up enough wood stocked shotguns and ak74's to say if they give wood. You'll slowly find junk items off of dead stalkers, very rarely zombies. Hammers are a very cheap way to get it, I like to buy them off the flea market in Garbage on restock.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

e;fb

I think the most common things are: Hammers and shovels are good sources of metal and wood scrap; wood bundles (like for starting campfires) are good sources for wood scrap, and disassembling weapons often produces metal scrap.

Junk items (although technically hammers aren't junk since they're used in a few crafting recipes) often pop up in stashes or on NPCs sometimes (I think?). I know you mentioned you're short on cash but realistically, you'll soon get to where you can buy the 2 or 3 hammers or shovel a lot of vendors have; off the top of my head I think 3 hammers may set you back like 700 ru, which will ultimately be trivial.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 17, 2023

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wait gamma doesn't have that mod that changes up static and random stash spawns?? poo poo's fantastic for EFP with great settings so you can adjust things like repair kits spawning and meds--no more a gently caress ton of insanely valuable free loot if you know the spawn locations. Before the mod i don't think i ever bought a repair kit because every few days i'd go by the spawns and pick up free ones haha.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Arghy posted:

Wait gamma doesn't have that mod that changes up static and random stash spawns?? poo poo's fantastic for EFP with great settings so you can adjust things like repair kits spawning and meds--no more a gently caress ton of insanely valuable free loot if you know the spawn locations. Before the mod i don't think i ever bought a repair kit because every few days i'd go by the spawns and pick up free ones haha.

That's the thing: to my knowledge GAMMA doesn't have static stashes, and while there are a zillion spots where an item (or items) can spawn in the world space, as far as I can tell the item(s) are random and may not even appear; it's affected by the ZCP mod, with a default value of 0.7. Not sure if that correlates to "70%" chance or what, but I reduced mine to 0.4 and it made a significant reduction.

There are some exceptions, like there's a sort of "armory" in the Brain Scorcher lab that has a bunch of ammunition and medical gear, but those are very few and far in between.

I think that's why I'm so curious about what Grok is talking about.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 17, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah every stash is empty in GAMMA until you get the coordinates. It's probably a good thing overall but also means that there's really no reason to ever explore outside of where your quests take you, with the exception of anomaly fields & artifact hunting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How is Gamma compared to something like Misery1? I enjoyed Anomaly was it was but what I read here gives me the impression it’s more grindy/difficult? Is it better or just more tedious? Misery 2 was way too much busywork.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

buglord posted:

How is Gamma compared to something like Misery1? I enjoyed Anomaly was it was but what I read here gives me the impression it’s more grindy/difficult? Is it better or just more tedious? Misery 2 was way too much busywork.

GAMMA is the total opposite of Misery, and is easier than Anomaly out-of-the-box. It's also very customizable, you can really get into the weeds with tailoring your experience to your liking. Cream-of-Plenty and I are playing on the hardest difficulty with further (though different) tweaks beyond that because we're hopelessly Zone-pilled.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Haha yeah it sounds like we're definitely making GAMMA as brutal as we can but, like Namnesor says, out-of-the-box GAMMA is challenging but still quite accessible--nothing like MISERY, where players will find the early game just miserly and stingy and brutal. And don't get me wrong, MISERY was one of my favorite mods years ago.

Sure enough you'll eventually get to a point where your hardest decisions are about what kind of gear you want to invest in and how you want to build your kit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say gamma is quite difficult in the sense that you simply cannot buy a lot of stuff, especially early on. Traders do not sell guns, and often won't sell ammo you want and will charge a lot for it if they do, fixing equipment is expensive and you don't have much to work with.

However, the game is centered around go out, doing quests, killing enemies and taking their stuff. So as long as you keep doing that you will probably progress. Guns are acquired off corpses and fixed up as best you can, equipment is expensive to maintain but critically, if you use the actual repair systems, it costs the same amount to repair a lovely gun as it does an expensive one, so what is a punishing expense at the start is far less so later on, and encourages a shift towards interacting with the weapon repair system rather than paying mechanic prices (or just buying a giant pile of the basic kits off mechanics and maintaining your guns with them)

Almost everything you collect can be useful. I would probably describe it as being a little bit like fallout 4 with the horizon mod installed, you want to basically pick up everything and stuff it in a base camp until you can find some use for it. There are some things like broken gun parts that aren't useful at all really (you can fix them but it's much easier to just use a repair kit charge to magically replace any parts you don't have actual quality replacements for) but all drugs, food, artifacts, ammo, grenades, random bits of poo poo people are carrying, are worth hanging on to because you can do something with them eventually.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GAMMA's systems are hard to learn, but the game is 'fair' at least on easy and medium. Unlike Misery or Anomaly stock, I don't feel that the enemies are superhumanly perceptive or fast (except in the red forest, gently caress that poo poo) but for the most part the playing field feels level. It's also not bullshit in terms of guns/damage, basically nothing will one-shot you, and while you might die in 2-3 hits from big rifles or the more dangerous mutants, you can do the same back to them.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oh man, I wish someone mention how important it was to put a ceramic plate in your artifact slot once you unlock it for your suit, it makes gun fights some much more survivable! The money I save not having to worry about bleeds as much is worth it alone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I like to roll the dice and eschew the plates in favor of the titanium rigging that lets you carry more weight. Upgrade a few of those babies and carry a bunch more junk with you! It may result in you having a negative resistance to electricity but gently caress it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

aniviron posted:

you can do the same back to them.

Yeah even on the hardest setting it doesn't feel unfair getting into firefights where if you're fighting, say, bandits then you can straight up one shot them with a single pistol shot to the head if they don't have proper head armour. Everything feels appropriately deadly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Body coolers also give you extra carry capacity as well as making your stamina regen faster and have no downsides, generally a better choice I think than frames.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Body coolers also give you extra carry capacity as well as making your stamina regen faster and have no downsides, generally a better choice I think than frames.

Body coolers can increase your carrying load? I didn't realize that. That makes them more compelling than I thought, even though I like to be electrocuted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember which it is, there's two modules that do very similar things, one of them seems to be a flat upgrade from the other basically and is also cheaper than the other option. But yeah when upgraded especially I think it comes out to a net gain in carry capacity and also significant boosts to stamina. Basically renders the camelbak useless too.

I think they also actually add a -1 radiation too? Just generally a great belt addon.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I feel like the titanium frames need a boost to their carry weight given that the one thing they're supposed to do is only marginally better than other modules that also not only have no downsides but rather useful upsides.

Improved Titanium Grid weighs 1.47kg and adds 5.6kg, resulting in an increase of 4.13kg carry weight.
Improved Body Cooler weighs 3.56kg and adds 5.56kg, resulting in an increase of 2kg carry weight.
Improved Freon Emission Module weighs 2.34kg and adds 4.24kg, resulting in an increase in 1.9kg carry weight.
However, both the Body Cooler and Freon Emission Module not only don't have the Titanium Grid's weakening of electrical resistance, it actually increases it, as well as a hefty increase to stamina recovery.

2kg is a bad tradeoff. The Titanium Grid should result in a net carry weight increase of at least 7kg, and honestly I think even that would be too conservative. If even the non-improved Titanium Grid gave you like 10kg extra carry weight, it'd stay in the conversation for much longer, especially in the early game when increases in carry weight are hugely impactful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The carry weight artifacts would have to be made a bit crazy to compete with that mind.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

OwlFancier posted:

The carry weight artifacts would have to be made a bit crazy to compete with that mind.

Then let them! Their condition affects their stats, why not make use of that and stretch out the scale even more from 1-100% condition? So on the low end, the grid would be better for carry weight, but as you empower said artifacts, they eventually win out.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Namnesor posted:

I feel like the titanium frames need a boost to their carry weight given that the one thing they're supposed to do is only marginally better than other modules that also not only have no downsides but rather useful upsides.

Improved Titanium Grid weighs 1.47kg and adds 5.6kg, resulting in an increase of 4.13kg carry weight.
Improved Body Cooler weighs 3.56kg and adds 5.56kg, resulting in an increase of 2kg carry weight.
Improved Freon Emission Module weighs 2.34kg and adds 4.24kg, resulting in an increase in 1.9kg carry weight.
However, both the Body Cooler and Freon Emission Module not only don't have the Titanium Grid's weakening of electrical resistance, it actually increases it, as well as a hefty increase to stamina recovery.

2kg is a bad tradeoff. The Titanium Grid should result in a net carry weight increase of at least 7kg, and honestly I think even that would be too conservative. If even the non-improved Titanium Grid gave you like 10kg extra carry weight, it'd stay in the conversation for much longer, especially in the early game when increases in carry weight are hugely impactful.

Electrical resist loss is largely a non-issue though? Outside of some specific edge cases, the zappy anomalies just kill you dead as gently caress when you gently caress up the route through them, and if you're rocking the electric resist SEVA suit, dropping your grids in a backpack stash isn't the end of the world?

I will agree that the Freon emission system is king poo poo and a lot of the other crafted mods like the titanium grid don't really do nearly as much for you unless your kits is already so close to your carry weight cap that clawing back those 10 or 15kg makes the difference between a successful run and not.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Electrical resist loss is largely a non-issue though? Outside of some specific edge cases, the zappy anomalies just kill you dead as gently caress when you gently caress up the route through them, and if you're rocking the electric resist SEVA suit, dropping your grids in a backpack stash isn't the end of the world?

I will agree that the Freon emission system is king poo poo and a lot of the other crafted mods like the titanium grid don't really do nearly as much for you unless your kits is already so close to your carry weight cap that clawing back those 10 or 15kg makes the difference between a successful run and not.

The point isn't that electrical resistance loss is a non-issue, it's that the titanium grids don't have enough going for it to ever consider it over the other craftable attachments, and even comes with a downside further tipping the scales against it, as irrelevant as it may be.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Any advice for getting my hands on gun repair kits? Is it easier to scavenger the bits to craft them, or to just buy them (or buy the parts)?

I really need to get something better than this 1911, lol.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Definitely don't buy full repair kits, buy or scavenge the constituent parts and craft it yourself.

Unless you are extremely wealthy and the repair kit is outside of your current repair tools level, then maybe it'd be worth it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I agree that the upgraded body coolers feel better than the titanium grids in basically every situation. With two of them and a good stamina artifact I can sprint basically forever even when very encumbered. Frankly, it does more for my carrying capacity than having the extra +weight would do, but it gives +weight as well!

I think some of you will find my suffering funny. I'm doing the second main quest line and need to meet up with Rogue in Limansk. 'No problem,' I think, 'I've got a ton of poo poo to turn in at Jupiter, I'll just do that and then head south.' The transition from the container warehouses to Limansk has me immediately under fire, and winds up being the largest battle I've ever seen in STALKER - two full squads, one Sin, on Monolith, both holding hands and singing together. Wound up being almost 30 dudes, and I was spawned into the middle of it on the low ground between two prepared positions. On the first load I spawned in unaware while loading mags, thinking I was alone, and immediately ate and RPG-7, which I survived, due credit to the Nosrog. Unfortunately, I did not survive the followup VSSK shots and bleeding. Second try I managed to take everyone down, burning through 40% condition on my exo and almost 200 rounds of 9x39. (I regret leaving my VSSK at home, but I wanted a change of pace. Oops.)

'Well that's okay, Limansk is usually pretty quiet, maybe this was a fluke?' Nope, the area with all the gravity anomalies still has a full squad of Sin. Thankfully they funneled through that doorway straight at me but even on full auto I could barely kill them fast enough and burned another 80 rounds as fast as I could fire; thankfully it wasn't more, because I only brought five mags. I did manage to get a screenshot of this one, because I was amused at the way they were all willing to walk into a wall of death:

That's 14 little dots on the minimap if I recall, plus another few that Vadim accounted for. He almost died in the first ambush, it's the first thing I've seen that's gotten more than a quarter of his health down! Can companions equip artifacts? I've finished melting and fusing most of what I want, I need to get that man a Compass. Well, thankfully Limansk is clear, so at least whatever Rogue wanted should be easy now. The rest of the stroll to him is uneventful; he says "Hey, there are some Sinners nearby." No poo poo. "I need you to go and clear them out!" Gunfire immediately kicks off in the distance and it becomes immediately apparent that everyone I just killed has respawned, because I went to meet Rogue from the wrong direction. :smith:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's the thing: to my knowledge GAMMA doesn't have static stashes, and while there are a zillion spots where an item (or items) can spawn in the world space, as far as I can tell the item(s) are random and may not even appear; it's affected by the ZCP mod, with a default value of 0.7. Not sure if that correlates to "70%" chance or what, but I reduced mine to 0.4 and it made a significant reduction.

There are some exceptions, like there's a sort of "armory" in the Brain Scorcher lab that has a bunch of ammunition and medical gear, but those are very few and far in between.

I think that's why I'm so curious about what Grok is talking about.

Yeah ZCP is the same one EFP 4.0 uses but the default settings are likely different then but ZCP stops poo poo like vodka and food from constantly spawning in the same location. It's there once then gone but it spreads out the same amount of items which is far better. There's still some shenanigans though because i found like 80 rounds of 9mm in AWH on the top of a chimney--no stash just sitting in a hole CoP style. I love being able to have things like lock picks and meds drop more often because i'm pretty damned sure everyones gonna be carrying around charcoal pills and cigs. I actually haven't been finding much monolith caches though which sucks cause i got 9 skeleton keys saved up but hopefully i'll find them once i get to outskirts and start slaughtering monolith some more.

There could be sub mods for ZCP that change it up even more though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Namnesor posted:

Definitely don't buy full repair kits, buy or scavenge the constituent parts and craft it yourself.

Unless you are extremely wealthy and the repair kit is outside of your current repair tools level, then maybe it'd be worth it.

The handgun repair kit was 12-13k, the repair items needed to craft it would've cost more than that. Maybe the math works out differently for more advanced repair kits, or maybe its cause I'm on Survivalist.

Anyways, I have a handgun kit now after buying it thanks to a good chain of missions paying out decently. Reviewing my pile of parts and guns, I managed to put together a PP-19 with only two mags and barely any ammo for it. Finally something that isn't a pistol!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Don't items cost less the better reputation you have with them? I was able to put together a handgun and historic repair kit fairly cheaply partly through buying what I needed and savaging various gun oils from Bandits and Renegades.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Don't items cost less the better reputation you have with them? I was able to put together a handgun and historic repair kit fairly cheaply partly through buying what I needed and savaging various gun oils from Bandits and Renegades.

Please don’t savage the gun oils that’s quite vulgar

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Yeah as you rank up they will give you a bit of a discount. That's why I like setting up shop next to mechanics and giving them my extra tool sets. Of course so much is tweakable, including trader buy/sell prices we can never know what someone might be playing on.

I found myself with an "excess" of money in the early game and bought my first handgun repair kit because I was momentarily flush, it was a great move because that tommygun was a life saver.

The handgun kit may be the most versatile in the game, because smgs/pdws are classed under it as well (pistol calibers eh) so it'll fix up that makarov, pp-19, or a p90 or sr-2 and everything in between.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is cooking using a campfire broken in Gamma? I try to use my field cooking kit next to a fire (close enough for the extinguish prompt to show up) and it still consumes fuel charges from the kit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is cooking using a campfire broken in Gamma? I try to use my field cooking kit next to a fire (close enough for the extinguish prompt to show up) and it still consumes fuel charges from the kit.

I'm not sure what's up with that. Either yes it is bugged, or the cooking kit has its own usage charges separate from the fuel, which would usually be the charcoal in your inventory but who does that when you can stand next to a fire

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh I guess it could be that the cook kit itself has limited uses.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh I guess it could be that the cool kit itself has limited uses.
Yep get the top tier one and that lasts forever.

Dear god being able to open up a backpack stash from anywhere in the level is making chaotic zones like red forest so much better for my hoarder rear end. Oh a monolith, ecologist, loner, AND merc squad just walked into each other right in front of me? No problem just open my PDA and dump all that poo poo into my central level stash so i can wander back to it and spend 20 minutes sorting it all haha. Normally i'd have to leave it and come back later to fast travel to the bar to dump it all off but now i can just fast travel with like 500kg of loot to the next stash in the next map i'm actually trying to travel too and THEN fast travel back to the bar with 1000kg of loot to sort out. If they just gave me a little robotic mule to follow me around this wouldn't be lore breaking. Let's death stranding the gently caress outta this.

I'm only keeping 2 of each gun with the best quality and its already getting insane--EFP has so many loving different guns, i just found a vietnamese modern rifle?? Oh any like 12 different western style AR's haha gonna take a look at them but i doubt they'll compete with my 416.