Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Really? I thought his entry to Marvel with Namor using the Austin pseudonym was already very unique, and his Daredevil looks more like he’s trying to ape Romita’s version of DD than copy anything Kirby was doing. Colan’s art was real shadowed from the get go, and he decompressed the art a lot more than Kirby did. Lot more pages with 2 panels, lot more big character closeups.

I don’t know what’s coming from Colan down the pipe, but he’s one of my favourite artists up to this point.

I just read Steranko’s first story arc in Strange Tales and mannnn that needs to be posted here too. Phone posting but will add some soon.

Now Steranko, his art looks like it’s heavily aping Kirby’s but it’s real good.

It's the splash and the third page you posted that look a lot like Kirby layouts to me. At the time, Lee was having "new" artists to Marvel directly copy Kirby and in some cases even had Kirby provide a general layout for the book. Colan wasn't actually new by any definition, but his work on the Marvel superhero books was sparse at that point and Lee was micromanaging everything around then. Guys like Steranko and Colan got out from under that pretty quickly, though.

To me Colan's definitive work at Marvel were on Dr. Strange and Tomb of Dracula. His swirly, misty style gets the tone of those books just right. If you want to check them out, there were some Tomb of Dracula/Dr. Strange crossovers that he did which brings everything together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Forgot to post this for a couple of months before seeing it again in my screencaps folder. Apologies if it's been here already.
Hawkeye #12

Why is Honey Badger wearing some sort of oversized football pads?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cabbit posted:

Why is Honey Badger wearing some sort of oversized football pads?

I'm going to guess because she thinks it looks intimidating and cool.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Honey Badger don't care.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SiKboy posted:

Did Daredevil just insult a white European by referring to him as "gunga din"? Because outside of the (obviously extremely colonial) Kipling poem, I've only ever heard that as a racist term for Indian people.

Gunga Din was a good and faithful soldier, so I guess it's an ironic insult along those lines.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
He was a water-carrier in the army, not a soldier, so I think it's an unironic insult.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kipling loved India, but he loved the British Raj India. Most of his works are full of British Exceptionalism.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jo Joestar posted:

He was a water-carrier in the army, not a soldier, so I think it's an unironic insult.

I was focused on the ethnic angle, but this explanation actually makes sense to me. :tipshat:

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Honey Badger don't care.

I laughed way harder at that than I should have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Get 'em, Stanny-boy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So wait is dredd his first name

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There's a lot to love there but the FOOM glove is the cherry on top.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

site posted:

So wait is dredd his first name

Dredd is his only name

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

His full name is Joseph Dredd IIRC? Wiki seems to agree.

I assume Stan Lee gets a special badge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's already a Stan Lee in Dredd continuity, obviously Stan The Man was trying to avoid confusion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's a lot to love there but the FOOM glove is the cherry on top.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Would anybody be interested in Just Imagine Stan Lee's Superman in this or the Funny Panels thread?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Would anybody be interested in Just Imagine Stan Lee's Superman in this or the Funny Panels thread?

pretty pretty please

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Posted some funny panels because, after reading it again, there's no way any of it was intended to be taken seriously enough to be considered "badass".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

His full name is Joseph Dredd IIRC? Wiki seems to agree.

I assume Stan Lee gets a special badge.

Yes, his name is Joseph Dredd. I guess though sometimes they just put the first name on badges because Joe's brother Rico's badge just says Rico on it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It might be a character limit thing; Joseph might not fit on a badge while still being legible, and if they shorten it Joe is a generic as hell name (while not being very intimidating)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also there's no fuckin' way I'd put Joe on my name badge if I had the option to put Dredd there instead.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ConfusedUs posted:

Also there's no fuckin' way I'd put Joe on my name badge if I had the option to put Dredd there instead.

But if it was against regulations there is no way Dredd would do that. So if the regs say you put Joe, he would wear Joe.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zil posted:

But if it was against regulations there is no way Dredd would do that. So if the regs say you put Joe, he would wear Joe.

If it were against regulations then there wouldn't be the option.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zil posted:

Dredd would just pull something out of his rear end, like, "I used the long-forgotten Japanese custom of ordering the name, thus this isn't breaking the law :smug:"

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, his name is Joseph Dredd. I guess though sometimes they just put the first name on badges because Joe's brother Rico's badge just says Rico on it.

There's a variation among artists I think, but most of the time Rico wore a Dredd badge as well. Confusingly though there's a clone of the original Rico running around who wears a Rico badge, but I think he just took it as a last name.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Rico II is also, so far, like the only Dredd clone who wasn't gone bad :3:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Rico II is also, so far, like the only Dredd clone who wasn't gone bad :3:

Hey now, there was one clone that dropped out of the Judge program to be a space-marine, and Dredd respected that.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I realized something earlier today. I don't know if it's intentional, but Joseph being Dredd's first name means his initials are J.D.— just like what Americans call a law degree (Juris Doctor, as opposed to Bachelor of Laws/LL.B. like the U.K.). I really wonder if that's a coincidence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ManiacClown posted:

I realized something earlier today. I don't know if it's intentional, but Joseph being Dredd's first name means his initials are J.D.— just like what Americans call a law degree (Juris Doctor, as opposed to Bachelor of Laws/LL.B. like the U.K.). I really wonder if that's a coincidence.

JD degrees aren't really awarded in the UK; you could take one at my old university (Queen's University Belfast) but I think it might be the only place in the country that offers them. It's probably a coincidence.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Guys hear me out: what if Dredd's initials, J.D., is a secret allusion to him being the descendant of the "J.D." character from Scrubs? If you think about it all the clues are there and

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ManiacClown posted:

It's probably not intentional since Dredd originated in the UK, and it's incredibly rare for American lawyers to put JD or the honorific Doctor on their business cards, despite being technically accurate.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Skwirl posted:

It's probably not intentional since Dredd originated in the UK, and it's incredibly rare for American lawyers to put JD or the honorific Doctor on their business cards, despite being technically accurate.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but it was a neat little probably-coincidence. I think I've only seen one or two on the listserv one of our now-retired professors runs ever use it. I think one of my classmates who's now in Nebraska might. The fact that we have "Esquire" is why lawyers don't use "Dr." even though the JD is a doctorate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I could just post the entire comic (Kill Them All).

Context:

Our heroes (an ex-cop, a nerd cop, and a former assassin lady) are climbing a tower Die Hard style to beat an evil bad guy, and at the current floor they encounter a man with infinite ammo blocking their path.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Murdering a harmless old man who was just indulging in his hobby of happily firing a minigun, disgusting

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like I could just post the entire comic (Kill Them All).

Context:

Our heroes (an ex-cop, a nerd cop, and a former assassin lady) are climbing a tower Die Hard style to beat an evil bad guy, and at the current floor they encounter a man with infinite ammo blocking their path.

That was dumb — so dumb, in fact, that it wrapped around to being intensely cool.

(Also, I can’t see that gag working as well in any other form, so propers to the creators on utilizing the medium.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ecavalli posted:

That was dumb — so dumb, in fact, that it wrapped around to being intensely cool.

:emptyquote:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ecavalli posted:

(Also, I can’t see that gag working as well in any other form, so propers to the creators on utilizing the medium.)

The whole book is incredibly stupid and incredibly great. Kyle Starks is real good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AnonSpore posted:

Murdering a harmless old man who was just indulging in his hobby of happily firing a minigun, disgusting

Yeah, that guy was happy, and he was instantly my favorite character. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

From Justice League of America (1960) #40, Indestructible Creatures of Nightmare Island!

Wonder Woman is a boss. These old Justice Leagues are actually really fun.