Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Ostranauts chat: One of the early derelicts I boarded was an intact yacht, on which I could see a reactor and two pirates. Decided I didn't need to risk my life in a 2v1 at the time, so I made a note of it and kept going. Later I'm checking the ship broker out of curiosity and see that yacht is on sale for 500k. I don't have 500k, but I do have my lightly modified shuttle which is now worth 546k, so I decide to take the gamble and swap ships. One space-taxi ride and a couple murders later and I'm now the proud owner of an almost perfectly intact yacht that only needs minor repairs (luckily I dragged a crate of parts along for that). It even came with two bonus civilian corpses lying on the nav console, one of which had some sweet cargo pants with a clip point for my laser torch. Flew the yacht back to KLEG and the broker is now offering 2.5 million for it back. Only hiccup was when I was a minute too slow turning the reactor on to charge the batteries so I had to spend 2k on taxi rides to grab a spare for the jump start.

I'm gonna keep the yacht to use as a base for my own build since it's big and comes with a working reactor and two Hydra intakes, so I'm pretty much set for the rest of the run. Just need to find more of the good flooring and walls as I'm fixing this godawful layout (and gas canisters, turns out refilling atmo for a ship this size is expensive as hell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Love harassing the parts vendor in oldtown to see if theyve got the good carpet or nice lounge chairs in yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ostranauts chat, specifically asking Blue Bottle when they check in again: Y'all planning to sell a physical version of the user manual right? Because I just booted the game for the first time and I've never wanted a piece of physical media more in my LIFE.

edit: While I'm at it, was Traveller an inspiration for character creation?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 20, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm sure I'll run out of content soon enough, but it was a very good feeling stumbling across a wreck that was fully functional other than needing some TLC, and includes a full fusion reactor setup. Could never afford to buy it outright but... I can always ship of Theseus the thing... The thing is in good enough shape for shirtsleeves work though. Shame to chop it.

Also one of the wrecks I explored has since turned into a meatball. I was ripping parts out of it for a few hours before I noticed and high-tailed it out with the good bits on board. Don't like that meat stuff.

edit: drat it, there's meat on this one too. RIP my giant ball of starship materials I guess.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 20, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s the word on Survival: Fountain of Youth now that it’s left Early Access?

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

Warmachine posted:

Ostranauts chat, specifically asking Blue Bottle when they check in again: Y'all planning to sell a physical version of the user manual right? Because I just booted the game for the first time and I've never wanted a piece of physical media more in my LIFE.

edit: While I'm at it, was Traveller an inspiration for character creation?

While we do have a brainstorm sheet for merch, I'm ashamed to say the manual wasn't on it! I've fixed that on the tiny chance we can afford to do merch in the future. (Word among dev cohort is that merch tends to break-even at best, financially. So it can be risky.)

That said, I'm aware of at least two fans who have created their own printed manuals for Ostranauts. Since the manual PDFs are included in the game folders (there's a button below the manual icon in the Esc menu in-game), it should be possible to grab a nice-looking 3-ring binder, print the PDFs, and hole-punch them.

Bonus points for grease stains and coffee rings on the papers!

To your other question, Traveller was absolutely an inspiration. In fact, the original iteration was even more closely resembling that process. You'd choose a homeworld, which set your physiological stats and social strata. Then the career kiosk led you through a series of terms, each of which let you choose job skills and hobby skills for that term. And you'd round-out your character in a medical kiosk by choosing physical and mental traits.

We ended up streamlining it a bit. Mainly because "shipbreaker on OKLG" was the only available option for a long time, and it felt bad showing choices you couldn't take. I think we may still revisit that idea when more viable starting situations are possible.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The social stuff is such an amazing idea but also janky as hell and to make it a turn based system even more so. Im not sure you could call it working or fun but its great. :allears:

I'm glad to hear someone's enjoying the jank! :P

It didn't quite turn out how I wanted, but I still think it can do some fun stuff. I wanted to make a system that would allow NPCs to say things to each other in dynamic ways that even I couldn't see coming. (I want to the game to surprise me, since I am part of the target audience.)

My best idea at the time was to give each NPC a series of lines they know how to say. It'd have to be fairly generic. You know, one line for when they're angry. Another for when they're sad. Overjoyed. Etc. And personality traits like Stubborn, Lewd, or Cowardly.

Then, attach an emotional payload to each. So saying this line (say, an insult) makes the speaker feel more powerful, but also guilty. And the listener would get more insulted. Naturally, each NPC would need stats for these emotions, so they have a handful based on Maslow's hierarchy. Lines were also modulated by which traits allowed or forbade them. Cowards never intimidate, stubborn never back off, etc.

Then, to make the NPCs a little more believable, I hacked together a clumsy machine learning algorithm. They say the thing, record how it made them feel, and when they want to feel that way again, they can refer to this data later. It records not only how they feel, but the descriptors ("conditions" in Ostranauts) of their target at the time. So using "insult" on Abner might have yielded the desired Self Respect boost, and in the future, they would use that move on Abner-like things again when they needed Self Respect.

(Incidentally, it also has a temporal proximity memory to help include what happened immediately before and after as part of the measured result. So if insulting Abner worked, but insulting Bruce backfired spectacularly, it'll make them more selective on how they use that move.)

It also does a needs assessment, so they address their largest discomforts first. And physiological needs supersede emotional ones.

Combining the above, I generated a big room with 100s of NPCs, plus a bunch of furniture and actionable items (arcade machines, TVs, food, etc.), then set them loose for a couple hours. I funneled all that data into a json file that every NPC gets when they spawn.

An NPC spawned in Ostranauts has random personality traits and that "basic training," then things diverge from there.

And it...kinda works? Like if you really squint, the little AIs are doing their best to self-regulate. And if you "train" them with positive/negative reinforcement, they can be shaped a bit.

You still have to divine tea leaves reading their responses in the message log, though. Some replies seem out of context, unless you think of the line as more of a moodlet than a human line.

Other times, the messages are just contextually right on, and I've had a good laugh at some outcomes that seemed right out of a (comedic) sci-fi show. Which is more the intended outcome.

And still other times, we catch NPCs with learned behaviors that are borderline insane. Like in two past cases, where an NPC would pick up a handheld work lamp, and just continually turn it on, then off, then on again, off again...basically forever. And when we dug into why, it was because something satisfying had happened to them around the time they did that in the past, and they were just "chasing that high."

More funny than frustrating. Unlike the other NPC we caught in similar circumstances, except replace work lamp with airlocks, and "on/off" with "open/close." :)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’m reminded of the dominions print manual from lulu, but I don’t ever recall hearing about the fiscal side of it, other than it being print-on-demand.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I planned out my Ostranauts ship using a pixel art tool, then got to work rebuilding my yacht to match. Just like in Minecraft though I got halfway through the build before starting to realize the plan was monstrously oversized and decided to go back to the drawing board. My new ship will be approximately the same layout but half the size! I also found a ship with the good flooring that I wanted so I stripped it clean, but I still need more so the hunt continues.

Side quests continue to entertain. Murder investigations seems to have bugged out and won't generate for me anymore. I had a couple quests that needed me to talk to my biological dad, so I made the trip to NAV0 to meet him. I decided I didn't want to have to repeat the trip though so I encouraged him to board my ship by venting the station (it's basically a tiny box and nobody else was there). He passed out on the way so I dragged him to safety, and he was still unconscious by the time I got back to KLEG so I left him in a bathroom stall. I've also been using the bathroom as a morgue so he should be in for a surprise when he wakes up.

I flew out to the ATC station because a friend needed matchmaking help. I got there, talked to him, talked to a random stranger next to him, piece of cake. Since I was docked anyways I decided to use it as an opportunity to repressurize my ship after all the work I've done on it, and in the process I've learned that ATC station doesn't have enough heaters. A few hours later there were a dozen or so bodies because pressure suits weren't good enough to stay warm.

The Fixer needed my help again, so I went to see what was wrong. He wanted me to tell someone to back off. That someone was himself. I told him he should back off and then he thanked me for it. He also had another mission with some corporate trouble but after I asked him the legality of what he wanted he told me to forget he said anything.

My latest adventure was finding a nice ship that was perfectly intact, uninstalling the good stuff and opening a hole in the wall, then taking a taxi back to port and telling them it was like that when I found it. Bought it cheap for 84k, rode the taxi back to reinstall everything and polish it up, then flew it back to KLEG and sold it for 1.54 million. Money problems fixed, just need to find more goddamn flooring. And debug commands to delete objects because two of these sinks that came with my ship were flagged as station sinks so I can't uninstall them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Load bearing sinks.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

isndl posted:

I planned out my Ostranauts ship using a pixel art tool, then got to work rebuilding my yacht to match. Just like in Minecraft though I got halfway through the build before starting to realize the plan was monstrously oversized and decided to go back to the drawing board. My new ship will be approximately the same layout but half the size! I also found a ship with the good flooring that I wanted so I stripped it clean, but I still need more so the hunt continues.

Side quests continue to entertain. Murder investigations seems to have bugged out and won't generate for me anymore. I had a couple quests that needed me to talk to my biological dad, so I made the trip to NAV0 to meet him. I decided I didn't want to have to repeat the trip though so I encouraged him to board my ship by venting the station (it's basically a tiny box and nobody else was there). He passed out on the way so I dragged him to safety, and he was still unconscious by the time I got back to KLEG so I left him in a bathroom stall. I've also been using the bathroom as a morgue so he should be in for a surprise when he wakes up.

I flew out to the ATC station because a friend needed matchmaking help. I got there, talked to him, talked to a random stranger next to him, piece of cake. Since I was docked anyways I decided to use it as an opportunity to repressurize my ship after all the work I've done on it, and in the process I've learned that ATC station doesn't have enough heaters. A few hours later there were a dozen or so bodies because pressure suits weren't good enough to stay warm.

The Fixer needed my help again, so I went to see what was wrong. He wanted me to tell someone to back off. That someone was himself. I told him he should back off and then he thanked me for it. He also had another mission with some corporate trouble but after I asked him the legality of what he wanted he told me to forget he said anything.

My latest adventure was finding a nice ship that was perfectly intact, uninstalling the good stuff and opening a hole in the wall, then taking a taxi back to port and telling them it was like that when I found it. Bought it cheap for 84k, rode the taxi back to reinstall everything and polish it up, then flew it back to KLEG and sold it for 1.54 million. Money problems fixed, just need to find more goddamn flooring. And debug commands to delete objects because two of these sinks that came with my ship were flagged as station sinks so I can't uninstall them.

lmao you're a walking disaster and I love it

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

isndl posted:

This is like reading stories about dwarf fortress or eve online where the stories are great and/or funny. I probably wouldn’t like actually playing the game though, just like I could never get into the others.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
has the meatpocalypse bug been resolved in ostranauts? because otherwise the game sounds like my jam but i don't really want to get enraged at a lategame balancing problem and quit forever

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Will Ostranauts get a vegetarian alternative? Asking for a joke friend.

My sister is a vegetarian and it’s just not fair if tofu can’t bring around the end times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

has the meatpocalypse bug been resolved in ostranauts? because otherwise the game sounds like my jam but i don't really want to get enraged at a lategame balancing problem and quit forever

There's game console settings you can mess with to change it. deets are in the steam forums somewhere

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's game console settings you can mess with to change it. deets are in the steam forums somewhere

Gross. No, it's in the patch notes. Specifically these ones.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1022980/view/4023472338880610423

You should also be able to edit the \data\plot_manager\pm_settings.json to alter the incidence of meat derelict spawns. Ultimately I'd say try and rush to the end of the plot if you can though. Afterwards no new meat derelicts will spawn.

Here's how to do it.

1. Find out about the meat, ask people about the meat, do the investigation.
2. Beat some meat, loot at least one hoof, horn, or eye. Ideally grab 4 hooves, 2 horns, and 1 eye.
3. Go talk to someone with Eco-Pragmatist, Anti-GMO, or Cult of the something something tags in their bio; these appear after you mention the strange meat and chunky blood. Which one you go with sets the tone for how the quest ends, with harness, purge, and worship respectfully.
4. Take your hooves, horns, and eye and build the altar, then play out the storybook sequence.
5. Beat the goat man, and there should be no more new meat spawns. Won't eliminate existing spawns though.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 23, 2024

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

isndl posted:

The Fixer needed my help again, so I went to see what was wrong. He wanted me to tell someone to back off. That someone was himself. I told him he should back off and then he thanked me for it.

lmao

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

'hold me back bro! hold me back!'

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't think I get Abiotic Factor.
Are you meant to establish a base or just make whatever you need as you plonk along?

Playing solo and I'm lost.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I don't think I get Abiotic Factor.
Are you meant to establish a base or just make whatever you need as you plonk along?

Playing solo and I'm lost.

I made a main base and then some small forward bases in the later areas. But the way the game is set up everything wraps back around to the first sector as a hub so there's no reason to build too much of a foothold elsewhere (imo)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah the cafeteria or security suite will do everything you need a base to do— plenty of space and plugs to get your stuff set up, and the tram hub makes getting most places super easy. Or if you need to hoof it there’s plenty of walkways.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, great. That makes me feel much better about establishing things.
I had survival games that push you to new areas and you have to build up from scratch.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Open World Survival Crafting Fest on Steam until June 3. My wishlist has a few good sales, but how many more tree-punching games do I need?

Maybe Sons of the Forest and Card Survival: Tropical Island since they're 30% off.

Hrmm.. Nightingale is 20% off. Perhaps that one can wait.

Sunkenland is also 20% off.

Len's Island is 40% off. It looks decent but reviews say that content is lacking.

Age of Water looks promising, but needs more time to bake.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Canuckistan posted:

Open World Survival Crafting Fest on Steam until June 3. My wishlist has a few good sales, but how many more tree-punching games do I need?

Maybe Sons of the Forest and Card Survival: Tropical Island since they're 30% off.

Hrmm.. Nightingale is 20% off. Perhaps that one can wait.

Sunkenland is also 20% off.

Len's Island is 40% off. It looks decent but reviews say that content is lacking.

Age of Water looks promising, but needs more time to bake.

Of those I'd only recommend Card Survival. It's very different than the others of course and the graphics are cheesy, but it's very good.

Haven't played the last two though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Card Survival is easily a game worth full price so on sale is definitely a recommend. The simple graphics and UI hides a very deep game that you can easily sink a hundred hours into without even touching some of the more crazy character modifiers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sons of The Forest is super good if you like tranquil nature and hosed up body horror.

Nightingale still needs to cook.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I’m so hyped for Card Survival: Fantasy Forest. Can’t wait to accidentally burn down the woods after selling my soul to a fire elemental.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ostranauts has a serious problem with NPC logic and drat near suicidal NPC haulers. One of these decided it wanted to try its luck against my elongated Edelweiss and the salvage barge it was towing back for sale. It came careening into me and... absolutely bounced off my much larger ship, dropping the derelict it was carrying and going spinning off in the direction it came, slamming into the surface of Ganymede 7 minutes later.

I won. I've finally overcome the psychotic air traffic in this game, by virtue of being significantly bigger and heavier.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, great. That makes me feel much better about establishing things.
I had survival games that push you to new areas and you have to build up from scratch.

That beginner cafeteria is a good starting place, its not very far from most things. Later on there is a security office that isn't quite as convienent, but has a lot more space.

There is a buildable push cart you can build that will drastically help with hauling stuff around and get stuff back to base.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Ostranauts has a serious problem with NPC logic and drat near suicidal NPC haulers. One of these decided it wanted to try its luck against my elongated Edelweiss and the salvage barge it was towing back for sale. It came careening into me and... absolutely bounced off my much larger ship, dropping the derelict it was carrying and going spinning off in the direction it came, slamming into the surface of Ganymede 7 minutes later.

I won. I've finally overcome the psychotic air traffic in this game, by virtue of being significantly bigger and heavier.

Here it is, the post that’s gonna make me buy Ostranauts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

What’s the word on Survival: Fountain of Youth now that it’s left Early Access?

Not lookin' good for ol' Fountain of Youth here

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's aging terribly!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Card Survival is fantastic and I can't recommend it enough. The game is hard, and you will die a lot. Each death wins you a little more knowledge to make your next run better.

As you learn the systems you can take on harder difficulties, and some of them are difficult indeed.

I recently just finished my Mermaid run. Was brutal. Now I'm going back to the Hunter and it's a cake walk.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m sad that the sale is on and every game is either something I’ve played to death, put down indefinitely, or know I won’t click with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Card Survival surprised me with its price point. Does it really have so much going on beyond initial impressions?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I picked up Wildmender in the sale and it’s… not awful. Much more chill than most and digging irrigation out from your springs to increase how much usable soil you have is an interesting idea.

I also have frog friends and a Very Large Crab. The frogs pick my plants for me and the crab Looms.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Synthbuttrange posted:

Card Survival surprised me with its price point. Does it really have so much going on beyond initial impressions?

Card Survival is literally in my top ten of games of all time. It's a weird niche game that is exactly what I want - an extremely indepth survival simulation without any bullshit. My partner and I joke that I don't like games unless you spend your time moving mud from one location to another after her watching me play, but the best thing about the game is that at any given time, you have a bunch of things you can be doing to better your situation/not die, and so you're constantly making choices. Very simple choices at times, like spending a day making bricks or exploring for new areas/resources, but until you're approaching the end game, there's always things to work towards and only so much time/food/water to accomplish it. It helps that player goals and character goals overlap so well - every accomplishment you make makes you feel like you earned it and that you've been rewarded.

It's a great game and the sequel is the single game I'm most looking forward to, and that includes Slay the Spire 2, a game I might even love more than CS:TI.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
How does the ios port of card survival hold up? I keep looking at it but it’s 15£ and that’s a relatively big chunk of change for a game that won’t work in a few years because of corporate incompetence but the game really really intrigues me.

I should probably just grab it on my deck really. It’s a couple quid cheaper right now but it looks like a good pocket game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
CS is Opportunity Cost: The Game.

You're constantly making choices, some of which are highly impactful and some of which are a slow burn. All choices come at the expense of doing something else. Rarely has there been an instance where I've failed and yet can't ascertain why.

Knowledge is hard won through failure and success soaks you in dopamine.

I've very few gripes about the game (most are tablet UI based).

e: I play on tablet, bought from the Play Store. It works pretty well! I don't think it'd be good on the Deck, though admittedly I've not tried.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967630/Survival_Fountain_of_Youth/

Anyone got thoughts on this at 1.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

literally on this page

my thought: I have taken it off my wishlist and shan't be buying it